Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFC05 - Patrick Henry Girls Home

The basic idea of the Cards for a Cause challenge is this: each month, stampers are invited to create cards (you can do one, you can do ten - however many you want!) to donate to a specific cause. All cards will be sent to the Post Office box listed below, and the cards will be forwarded on to the featured organization.

I had planned to continue last month's cause, because I could never get a response from the organization I chose. But still, even after repeated emails this month - no response. So I looked to a friend, who knows some other young women in need of encouraging words and a hand up - and this month's cause was born!

In my immediate area, we have an organization called Patrick Henry Boys and Girls Plantation. From their website:
Quote:

Our focus is prevention

Patrick Henry Boys and Girls Plantation is a unique, Christian, residential child-care ministry for boys and girls between the ages of 6 and 17. Our purpose is to offer a haven for children from turbulent domestic situations. We focus on prevention, and reach out to disadvantaged children before they are scarred by neglect or abuse. We subscribe to the old adage that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," and focus our resources on reaching children in the early stages of dysfunction, before the ill-effects of their troubled home-life can leave an indelible mark on their young lives. It is our mission to provide them with a high quality substitute home that meets their needs and is consistent with Christian values.

Providing a family structure

Our children reside in cottages under the care of an experienced married couple who are dedicated to providing a nurturing, structured family environment. By modeling a Christian family lifestyle, our program teaches interpersonal skills, moral values, work ethics and citizenship. Children are required to attend regular church services, go to public schools, and are encouraged to participate in a wide variety of social and family activities. The children receive regular counseling, and a "plan of care" is developed to address their specific needs. Each child's progress is monitored and the plan of care is updated biannually. Family counseling is also available for parents and guardians.

For many of these children, Patrick Henry Boys and Girls Plantation becomes the home they never had. Here is where they receive the patience they've never known, their first praise for a job well-done, and their first realization that their future can be better than the past.
Specifically, there is a girls' cottage about 20 minutes from me. I've spoken to a volunteer there who is very close withthe residents, and she thinks it would be wonderful is these young ladies could be showered with love and encouragement. From her latest email to me:
Quote:

I briefly explained to her that your organization would like to shower them with cards and hopefully some crafting supplies. I did tell her that it may be much more than her home needs at this time. There is a central location for all the Patrick Henry homes where supplies, etc., can be kept until a specific home needs something. They also have a weekly meeting with all the personnel from the other homes and can distribute the extra cards to the other kids in their homes via that meeting.

She and her husband have been there since April 2008 and had replaced the previous couple I had met when our quilting group visited the home last winter with our quilt delivery. She tells me they have converted an area at the (I am omitting name) home into a new craft and sewing area for the girls to use. She was very excited to know that your organization is interested in helping in this way.
So here's what I'm asking for this month:
  • cards for these children, with notes of hope and encouragement inside, or just "have a great day" - something to let them know that SOMEONE is thinking of them
  • Any extra crafting supplies you'd like to donate - they will use any and everything. I already have a HUGE stack of paper (12x12 and scrap) to take, and I've talked to them about doing some fun (free) classes about cardmaking and scrapbooking
  • If you happen to have some stamp sets you'd like to donate, please do!

As you read above, they meet with other homes, so surplus WILL be shared. And if you can't donate to this organization, I encourage you to find one in your area to donate to -- children should never be forgotten or go to bed feeling unloved! Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Please have your cards to me no later than February 6, 2009.
Send them to this address:

Splitcoaststampers Cards for a Cause
118 S. South Street #605
Farmville, Virginia 23901
USA

Upload your cards to whatever stamp gallery they belong in, and use the keyword CFC05. That way, we can all check the CFC05 gallery to see how many cards we are sending! Have fun, and thanks so much for helping us spread some sunshine! If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send me a pm!
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir

Last edited by stagccva; 01-10-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Taylor, I have tons of old card samples that I've sorted through to find cards that I think are good for girls. I am a bit stymied about what kinds of notes to write, though. Maybe some others on this list could make some suggestions. I don't mind writing something short inside, but the anonymouse nature of this feels challenging to me. - Kathy

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy LeDonneView Post
Taylor, I have tons of old card samples that I've sorted through to find cards that I think are good for girls. I am a bit stymied about what kinds of notes to write, though. Maybe some others on this list could make some suggestions. I don't mind writing something short inside, but the anonymouse nature of this feels challenging to me. - Kathy
I would just say things like:

--have a wonderful day
--hope this card finds you in good spirits and health
--I hope this brightens your day a bit
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I'm going to go through my cards also and send you a bunch.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Do we sign the cards or just put a note in them so then they could use the card for future?

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men," Colossians 3:23 ESV
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Do we need to write notes on the inside of the cards, or can we leave them blank? I was thinking if we leave them blank then that give the on-site adults a chance to write a more specific type of encouragement or job well done note. Also, do they need birthday cards?

I know I have some unused SU stamp sets that are looking for a new home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #7  
I Heart Hugs

Taylor, you're going to make me cry! What a wonderful cause! I just emptied my stash for cards for the troops so I will try to make new ones as fast as I can but I'm also making cards for a children's hospital, so bear with me.

I design for Whisker Graphics (Divine Twine)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #8  
ch
Mad Swapper

I'm in, I will send a box of cards and supplies. Thanks! cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll get stamping this p.m
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am in will send a few cards and look thru my abundance of supplies. What a great cause, Thank You...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I am in also. What a great cause!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's my card for another really great cause. Thank you for this opportunity to put our hobby to good use. Glittery Butterfly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been looking for a great cause to donate some of my extra cards. I also love the idea of donating paper, embellishments, stamps, etc. I will be mailing a box today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Here's my box of goodies. I hope they will like...I've included about 20 cards.

Cards for a Cause by scook66 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Hi...I am going to go through sample fronts and make them into cards..will also clean thru supplies!!! emstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

subscribing -- will try to get a package out next week
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just put a package in the mail today.. I put in some cards and a little of this and a little of that. Thanks for this great cause. Here is a link to the card I made CFC05 - Patrick Henry Girls Home by StefTX at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by StefTX; 01-17-2009 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Question Questions

Taylor, I have some questions for you: Since you said there is a girls' home near you, should we only be making cards for girls? But then you also stated that any extra cards would be shared with children in other homes (some of them presumably boys). So should we make some boys cards too?

There were also a few questions above that haven't been answered yet: Should we sign our names inside the card, leave them blank, write on a sticky note, ...? Do they need birthday cards, too? (see posts 5 & 6)

Thank you so much for organizing this! As many have already said, it IS a great cause!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Taylor - will they accept more than just scrapbook/card making supplies? I have cookie cutters and paint, etc. Is that something that they can use too? Please let me know before I mail anything!
Thanks so much for leading this great cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I just wanted to let you know I dropped a big box at the UPS store on Tuesday. Hopefully you'll receive it by Friday -- this was a great way for me to clean out seldom used, unused items from my supply.

I hope the children will enjoy all the treats inside! Made my day to help!

Pat Honc
Momcats
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Smile Cards for a Cause - Canada

I would love to do Cards for a Cause in Canada and have been in contact with the Victoria Women�s Transition House in British Columbia. As this house is becoming more and more in demand, they are always in need of supplies. The Victoria Women's Transition House would be very greatful for any donations we could send them. This is a very worthy cause that definitely deserves our support. VWTH provides temporary homes for women and their children, offering counselling support and other necessary items, as well as progams and activities. VWTH also runs support and craft programs on a regular basis for the women and children in the house as well as ensuring that these programs are available for when they have moved to a new home. This ongoing support is critical in ensuring the continuing healing of adults and children. The cost of supplies is always a factor and at times limits the amount of programs they can provide and the number of women and children they can support. I feel that we could help a great deal by sending them some extra items that we all have, and in doing so, we would be clearing space in our own homes. Kind of like a 2 for 1 deal.

If you would like to help, I have provided a list of suggested items, but feel free to add anything else you would like to send. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Suggestions for donations:
� Cards for any occasion, expecially thank you, birthday (adult, teen, children, babies) and celebrate (general)
� Paper
� Stamps
� Ink pads \ cleaner
� adhesives
� misc embellishments (ribbon, stickers, die cuts, brads, etc.)
� punches \ cutters
� paper cutter of any size \ scissors \ misc crafting tools
� idea books \ magazines
� any other crafting supplies you would like to donate

If anyone wishes to donate other items as well, here is a list of needs from the VWTH:
� New underwear or socks, bedtime clothing
� New regular sized toiletries and cosmetics
� Healthy snacks for children�s lunches (cereal bars, fruit cups, crackers, canned soups, etc.)
� Cereal, food staples, tea, coffee
� Books, music\entertainment tapes and CD�s
� Entertainment \ relaxation videos
� Writing journals
� Gift bags and wrap for any occasion
� Gift certificates\cards for stores in the Victoria area (sears, walmart, chapters, bolen books, etc)
� New or ready to wear and seasonally appropriate clothing for women, teens and children in a variety of sizes.

Anything you can donate will be very much appreciated. Please send all donations to the address below by February 28th, 2009.

Cards for a Cause
c\o 3273 Fulton Road
Victoria, BC
V9C 2T8

Thank you in advance for all of your support.
Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Trish, this sounds like a great cause, too! Thank you for sharing the information with us. I think I have enough stuff to donate to both Cards for a Cause places!! :-)

A few questions: Is it all right if we send store-bought cards? (I have a ton of nice, unused ones.) And should we write notes in them or leave them blank? In other words, are the cards for the residents to use, or for us to give them for encouragement, celebration, etc. (or both)? Either way is fine, I just need clarification.

Thank you for organizing this! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Thank you so much for your support. Store purchased cards are fine. They are looking for blank cards that they can use, but I think it would be nice for them to also receive cards with words of encouragement and support.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

unsubbing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by momcatsView Post
I just wanted to let you know I dropped a big box at the UPS store on Tuesday. Hopefully you'll receive it by Friday -- this was a great way for me to clean out seldom used, unused items from my supply.

I hope the children will enjoy all the treats inside! Made my day to help!

Pat Honc
Momcats
I sent a small box todya. Hopefully I can send more next time. Ran out of times in the days.

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men," Colossians 3:23 ESV
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Taylor, I have a box of 110 cards going out today. These are retired card front samples that I've mounted and finished. The card I'm posting today is a redo. This cute little bear is one of the first stamps I bought more than 35 years ago.

CFC05 Fuzzy Wuzzy was a Bear by Kathy LeDonne at Splitcoaststampers

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

I sent my box of goodies yesterday via priority mail (USPS). I hope you get them by Saturday!!! Thanks for organizing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Taylor---sent out a box of supplies and goodies that needed to be loved and used. Thanks for doing this every month, can't wait to see what next month(or is it this month, lol) brings. I love making cards and really need to be pushed to send them! Thisis a great way to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Question Wow!

OK, I just found this thread... What a great idea!
I would love to make & send some cards for them - am I too late?

(I actually grew up not far from the PH Home, I am very familiar with the facility. My aunt & uncle still live in Farmville.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

No, you are not too late. It is always nice when people want to help.

Trish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Wink BTT...

OK, great!
I'll work on cards this weekend & get them out on Monday! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Taylor, I just sent my cards out on Friday for the Patrick Henry Plantation. Hope I'm not too late, either! :-)

Trish, I am still putting together a box of stuff to send out to you for the Victoria House. Any idea how long it will take to reach you from Chicago, IL USA?
Reply With Quote Likes