Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must. STOP. Shopping!!!

This is the most addictive hobby, it is soooo hard to get over that feeling of must have it YESTERDAY! I don't even feel like I want THAT much, but feel I must have it all now. My husband asked me how much I though I would need to feel like I was "done" shopping for stamp stuff. I had NO idea. I said $3000 just in case he was gonna say "well here's the credit card get TO IT!!!" but he didn't lol

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

not to be a 'downer'

uhm $3,000.00... not even CLOSE! LOL

i have been stamping for some time now and i would hate to have to put a $ amount on my stash! tho i have been thinking that for as much as i have in it i might should add it to our insurance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Me too!

Yikes, it adds up sooo fast.

I told dh we needed a rider for my stamping stuff and he said "yes, we do..." so we are looking into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default So true...

You are so right on. When will I ever be DONE shopping? Never. I'll order something and then almost immediately think "oh I should have gotten XYZ too!". It's ridiculous.

I seriously have to start creating more - like stamping 3 or 4 hours a day, EVERY day - to justify my madness!

Oh well...at least I know I'm not alone...lots of us can go to the insane asylum together. Ha!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

For me it's coupons, every time I get one for Mike's I HAVE to use it! 50% off coupon's are like GOLDEN TICKETS for me! I told my hubby that I was going to join the stamp to spend challenge. Then, he figured out that I would actually stamp MORE to spend MORE, and said we should probably stick to my crafting budget that I already have! Darn, I thought I out smarted him!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3K is a drop in the bucket, that might be my paper.....

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe we should stop posting to this thread on the off-chance our hubby's might see it and pass out....

lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadeelodgeView Post
Maybe we should stop posting to this thread on the off-chance our hubby's might see it and pass out....lol
I just keep showing my dh some of the craft rooms of other stampers/scrapbookers to show him how little I actually have (which really isn't little at all:rolleyes: ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennifvView Post

Oh well...at least I know I'm not alone...lots of us can go to the insane asylum together. Ha!!

Do you suppose they have recreational therapy there? Maybe there is stamping!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadeelodgeView Post
Maybe we should stop posting to this thread on the off-chance our hubby's might see it and pass out....

lol
snort!

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

My SU demo thought I was insane.....I have a spread sheet with SU purchases on it. How much the item sells for, what I paid, and then if it was free or a gift.
At the bottom it has a tally so I can see what I have saved. Of course DH will NEVER see this figure....at least not if I can help it. Of course I don't list paper. I originally started the list so I could keep track of what stamp sets and tools I had. Now mind you, this doesn't include any non-SU purchases.

Of course, now that I'm a strict budget,(have been since April), purchases are way down :-( Good for my wallet, not so much for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I think we can never spend "enough" ... it will just keep going and going, always wanting something else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AdventurerView Post
I just keep showing my dh some of the craft rooms of other stampers/scrapbookers to show him how little I actually have (which really isn't little at all:rolleyes: ).
Me, too!! Keeps it all in perspective, right?!

Erin, I know just how you feel -- I started with SU! about two years ago and really got hooked in. I went through the "getting started" phase - accumulating all of the *necessary* basics. Then I caught on to the older retired sets - went through the gallery and then went to BST and collected. I loved just looking at those stamps and owning them was the best!

Then, I got acquainted with the non-SU world .... that was then end of all those old retired sets!! I was off and running....

And now? I'm sort of settled, I guess. I know what I like, have my handful of favorite companies and I'm not really tempted so much by so many different things.

I've learned to not look.... if I see a card I like, I don't look for the stamp set name. If I see a link to a stamp company, I don't always click on it. If I see a banner ad with a sale, I don't go there - just to "see."

I feel liberated from the addiction a bit these days. What really helps with all of that is having very limited space. If I find some new style or company whose designs I just *have* to have ~ I have to give something up or I'll have no place to put it. That's quite the reality check for me!!

So - embrace the craziness ~ it's fun and I look back on my wild stamp-buying days with fondness!! They helped get me to where I am today and it was a blast
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am having the same problem! I want it all!!! One of my goals this year is to make a scrap budget, but it is scary :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Me, too!! Keeps it all in perspective, right?!

Erin, I know just how you feel -- I started with SU! about two years ago and really got hooked in. I went through the "getting started" phase - accumulating all of the *necessary* basics. Then I caught on to the older retired sets - went through the gallery and then went to BST and collected. I loved just looking at those stamps and owning them was the best!

Then, I got acquainted with the non-SU world .... that was then end of all those old retired sets!! I was off and running....

And now? I'm sort of settled, I guess. I know what I like, have my handful of favorite companies and I'm not really tempted so much by so many different things.

I've learned to not look.... if I see a card I like, I don't look for the stamp set name. If I see a link to a stamp company, I don't always click on it. If I see a banner ad with a sale, I don't go there - just to "see."

I feel liberated from the addiction a bit these days. What really helps with all of that is having very limited space. If I find some new style or company whose designs I just *have* to have ~ I have to give something up or I'll have no place to put it. That's quite the reality check for me!!

So - embrace the craziness ~ it's fun and I look back on my wild stamp-buying days with fondness!! They helped get me to where I am today and it was a blast

I actually find what you wrote kind of inspiring, good advice. I too have been tempted to go searching the SU gallery looking at the retired stuff to try to find what I like. When I come across a retired set I want, I do try to get it on eaby or here. It's good advice not to look for stamp names, or company names, or click on sales

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
This is the most addictive hobby, it is soooo hard to get over that feeling of must have it YESTERDAY! I don't even feel like I want THAT much, but feel I must have it all now.

Erin
I can TOTALLY relate to this feeling! And what's so sad is when I go through my stash I come across hundreds of items I just had to have "yesterday", and have YET to use them!!! (Years later!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

The first year I started stamping...I added up all the expenditures that I had receipts for...it was OVER $12,000.00. Of course that was all my matchy matchy furniture and goodies but the furniture was a chunk. I got two matching desks, a vertical file cabinet with hutch (both desks also have hutches) and a matching bookcase so my stamp room would look nice. I dont think I have ever stopped spending. However, I must say my hubby is always very quick to tell everyone who comes to visit when he is giving the tour...."and this is the most expensive room in the house." He never bugs me about what I spend because just the basket alone on his desk brings in between $60.00 and $125.00 per week. It just depends on the week, sometimes more and sometimes less. I am always sending a few thousand cards to the troops too and that is a very expensive project. So this year I am going to try and cut back on spending...I think I already have everything right...I want to convince myself that I do.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

my goal this wonter is too start using more - even more then last year-
supplies to have cards on hand; maybe then I will see I don't need everything
there is for stamping. This site is, however, an enabler. I keep thinking
I woulodn't be so overwhelmed with housework and maybe have a vacation more often, if I spent less on my hobby; however, if I got laid up it is great to have something at home to keep me home

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

This is one of my new years resolutions- for gosh sakes quit buying everything you see! I guess that is why I have gone absolutely crazy this past month making stampin purchases- have to buy as much as I can before the new year starts. Went to Archivers and Blick art supply just today to scoop up some more stuff- only 2 days left! Help me............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Well, if you are going to get picky and count the furniture I am outta here!

There comes a time when you finally have it all or close to it anyway.

here's my justification-my husband's 6 (yes, 6) sets of golf clubs and his membership dues STILL do not equal my expenses and I make money because if you go price a card and it is $5, then make one, for say 50 cents, then I saved $4.50 each time I need one and, I don't know a 100 times a in a year, well, heck, I just paid for the furniture in my room!

So see, Stamping is a way to S A V E money. You have to think of it logically...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

My problem is RIGHT NOW. I don't spend very much on stamping stuff at all. Like, about $500 for the year. No storage space is part of the reason. But with all these after-Christmas sales, I look at the web sites and I think to myself, now is a good time to buy because I'm really saving money. How twisted is that.

I put a bunch of things into carts on 3 different stamping sites this weekend. I didn't buy any yet, but I can't stop thnking that the sales will be over on Wednesday and I better get it while I can. Why do I want to spend the money now if I didn't during the entire year?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Erin,

I think I finally reached the point that I do not keep a list of must haves. I have made a commitment to use what I have on hand for the next three months without purchasing anything new.

I am sure you will reach this point too. BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT in the meantime, you tell DH to give up the bucks. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I have made a commitment to use what I have on hand for the next three months without purchasing anything new.

I'm doing that too!! I did it last year too. It kinda stops the madness for a while...lol...Plus, I just can't afford to spend lots of money right now and I really do have everything I NEED already...I just need to start using it...

Last edited by HappyLittleArt; 12-29-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Trying to fix quote from above! Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
Well, if you are going to get picky and count the furniture I am outta here!

There comes a time when you finally have it all or close to it anyway.

here's my justification-my husband's 6 (yes, 6) sets of golf clubs and his membership dues STILL do not equal my expenses and I make money because if you go price a card and it is $5, then make one, for say 50 cents, then I saved $4.50 each time I need one and, I don't know a 100 times a in a year, well, heck, I just paid for the furniture in my room!

So see, Stamping is a way to S A V E money. You have to think of it logically...;)
My husband also has some really expensive hobbies: scuba diving, a boat to go with it, golfing and a country club membership to go with it. So he never says anything to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I have also gotten past the point of feeling like I have to have the latest and greatest yesterday. It did take awhile to get to that point, but I am definitely there now, thank goodness. I finally realized how much stuff I had and was not using. I think I also became more comfortable with the fact I like quick, easy and simple cards. There is no need to buy all the fancy stuff or embellishments if I am never going to use them. I still buy stuff, but I really try to think before I buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
I have also gotten past the point of feeling like I have to have the latest and greatest yesterday. It did take awhile to get to that point, but I am definitely there now, thank goodness. I finally realized how much stuff I had and was not using. I think I also became more comfortable with the fact I like quick, easy and simple cards. There is no need to buy all the fancy stuff or embellishments if I am never going to use them. I still buy stuff, but I really try to think before I buy.
Me too! I think it started a little over a year ago. I used to be one of those that could name the manufacturer and line of anything just by seeing the product but these days, I don't even care all that much. If I like something, I try to really think about it and wait to see if I still like it as much a month or more later. If so, I may buy it but more often than not, I just pass on it. My goal is to use up as much of my stash as I can this upcoming year. I'm out of room and my pocketbook deserves a rest. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
I have so much stuff it's crazy. This past year I bought the baby cricut and it's been a mad dash getting all the carts I "really need". My goal this year is also to use what I have and work more on unfinished projects. Of course I will still go for the freebie paper at Archivers and am very impatiently waiting for the black paper from PTI, coming in January. I do like to use all kinds of medium in scrapbooking so this will be fun!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went crazy this year and have spent more than the last six combined. I discovered this site last New's Year's Eve so I blame all you enablers. I got my own room this week and as I am moving things I realize how much I have.The impulse to spend is waning and it will be easier to use what I have now that I have the space and am more organized. But I thank all of you for teaching me so much. I enjoy this hobby even more since I've been here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by odie1View Post
I went crazy this year and have spent more than the last six combined. I discovered this site last New's Year's Eve so I blame all you enablers. I got my own room this week and as I am moving things I realize how much I have.The impulse to spend is waning and it will be easier to use what I have now that I have the space and am more organized. But I thank all of you for teaching me so much. I enjoy this hobby even more since I've been here.
Oh well here I go again-what site is it?:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This one. Splitcoast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I have a firend who was new to the hobby a few years back. She wanted a stamp room, and showed her husband all of the rooms in 'Stampin Spaces', and his words were: 'This isn't about stamping, is it?'

Ha! That's the risk you guys, if you aren't careful it becomes more about being like the Jones', and not about creating. Or, if I have that set, I can make cards like that. I have about 5 containers of Dew Drops, because I love cards with Dew Drops, but for the life of me I don't like the cards I make with Dew Drops on them. I hope I am not convinced to buy more Dew Drops!

OTOH, I want a camera like Nichole Heady has, since if I can show pictures like hers, my projects can be like hers, too!
Reply With Quote Likes