Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you manage your family while you stamp?

Just wondering how everyone else does it...do you only stamp at night when everyone is in bed so you can concentrate? Or do you stamp when everyone is around and interact with the family at the same time?

Do your husbands want to be near you while you work, or don't they care if you are by them?

I recently moved my stamping room out of a back bedroom, and into our loft area that overlooks our great room that we all hang out in. I can work and still be a part of what is going on, although I am seriously thinking of investing in a good set of headphones to drown out the noise at times!

But it has been a good move. The kids always somehow wound up in the back bedroom with me no matter what anyway, even the 13 yo tough guy! lol

Guess kids and husbands like to have "mom" or "wife" around.

I have decided though, that when I need to really concentrate and get something done, I will need to either stay up late by myself or get up early to accomplish this (or even the middle of the night, lol).

Just wondering if this is the case with everyone else with a family/spouse, too...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Yep my family wants to be "near" me! They don't even like it when I'm on the computer!

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Fortunately, my family is all grown. My DH is "near" me because I don't have a designated craft room. I have to drag all of my stuff out and craft in the great room/kitchen. He's pretty capable and can feed himself, if I get too "caught up" in what I'm doing to stop and feed him. Hehehe He's very supportive of my crafting, which is really nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a work area in my bedroom. My family pretty much leaves me alone when I'm stamping, though we're kind of a "do our own thing" family anyway. We spend time together quite a bit, but all of us need our own space sometimes, and when everyone else goes to their rooms, that's when I usually can sit down and get something done.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

I usually make cards while my husband watches ballgames, works crossword puzzles or whatever he likes.
My craft room is upstairs but when he is home I really like to be downstairs with him so I drag supplies down and work. I like someone to interact with occasionally. He is very supportive and I show him what I make and he brags on it and I'm happy.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually stamp when the kiddos are asleep and the hubby is at work. If he's here and I have to work on something, I will stamp images and color them in the living room with him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

I have a 2yo so while she's awake I'm pretty much in mummy mode. I stamp while she's napping (on the weekends) or in the evenings once she's got to bed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I, too, stamp while my husband is doing something that he enjoys...watching football, playing video games, watching car shows, etc. He travels a lot, so I try not to stamp when he's home...I think it's rude to ignore the time I have with him, since he's usually gone 10-14 days at a time. I have two small kiddos that HAVE to be in my stamping nook with me, so I usually stamp when they're playing well or when they're sleeping.

Nonetheless, always make time for yourself! Even if someone is standing behind you tugging on ribbon or the tv is too loud!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

I stamp when my 2 and half yr old is sleeping and hubby either works or is watching tv or otherwise engaged. I find it far too distracting when there is too much activity around me to actually make cards.

Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Due to a lack of room

my stamping/crafting area is in the family room, a corner of it actually, and well, to tell you the truth I love being there.

I used to have a room (until our daughter moved back home) and felt...sort of weird going in there with the family out in the other parts of the house.

Kids and I watch tv while I craft, they are older though, and hubby will watch with me stamping as well.

Wish I had a larger work area, but LOVE that I am with the family and not in another room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I do both when everyone is around and when the kids are sleeping. When the kids are awake they usually migrate into my room wanting to cut or stamp my scrap paper. As posted above if I really want to get something done then I usually do it when the kids are asleep.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I stamp during the day while the kids are in school.

Some days when DH is home he is in PS3 world usually with a kid or two...and I go stamp a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I stamp when my 2-yr old is in bed, that's about it. He will come find me if I try to sneak away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

My stamp room is in between my kids' bedrooms so I create at night while they are settling down and falling asleep. That gives me about an hour a night. I used to be able to create during the day but now I feel like I should be doing something else with my time. Having 5 kids equals a lot of laundry which I am never caught up on!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I stamp whenever I can. I usually get my housework done first thing in the morning before the two school age kids head off to school and my three year old either goes to her room and plays or she comes to my craftroom and colors (I have crayons, coloring books, and paper on a shelf for the kids to get at when they want to be near mommy but know not to bug her to much). After supper if I get the chance I go into the craftroom and DH will come in and visit or play on the computer, it is in the same room. I try and work in my craftroom at least an hour or two each day, even if I am just cleaning up, or coloring images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Oh I am such a night owl, seems like the whole world is easier put on hold and much quieter to work when lights are out, kids and hubbies are fast asleep..... Isn't it easier to concentrate too...especially with a cup o joe!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, SimonSays, yes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Lately, I've been bringing pieces of projects out to the living room so I can hang out with my husband. If I'm back in the craft room too much, he comes to find me! I love being able to see him, so working in the same room is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I stamp whenever I can. Usually when my not yet 2 year old DD goes down for quiet time or a nap (naps are a thing of the past around here ). Or when all the kids are in bed and hubby is working on the computer or watching sports or something. I try not to work too much in my room when my husband has nothing in particular to do because with 3 young children mommy and daddy time is pretty much non existant! Also now that we are going to be on Christmas vacation I will stamp in the afternoon while the older boys are playing the Wii in our family room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

B.C. (Before Child) I would stamp in the evenings when hubby watched his T.V. shows and sometimes all day on Saturday and he didn't mind a bit! Now A.C. (After Child) stamping time is confined to after she's in bed since I work outside the home I don't get a lot of time with her during the week so weekends are time for us to be together as much as we can and to give Daddy a break because he is a SAHD. After she's in bed I hang out with DH on Friday and Saturday nights for a while and usually head to the basement about 9 or 10 p.m. and stay up creating until the wee hours.

Eventually we are going to put some of her toys in the front part of the basement room where I have my craft area and she can play while Mommy crafts but right now she's still into everything and needs too much intervention for me to work while she's in the room.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have people here I need to work around...I have a very demanding dog. He "lets" me work in the studio until 2 PM or so, then he comes in and starts to whine. He won't stop until I go into the living room with him, sit on the couch and lift up his blankie. He curls up next to me underneath it and sleeps. But only if I'm right there. And working at night? Forget it. He's so spoiled it's unbelievable. Who did that???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebraView Post
I don't have people here I need to work around...I have a very demanding dog. He "lets" me work in the studio until 2 PM or so, then he comes in and starts to whine. He won't stop until I go into the living room with him, sit on the couch and lift up his blankie. He curls up next to me underneath it and sleeps. But only if I'm right there. And working at night? Forget it. He's so spoiled it's unbelievable. Who did that???
Can't image who did that. I love that he has a blankie. I'm sure he is worth
missing some craft time.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

my craft space is in our finished basement. i have a 7yo and a 4yo. i usually stamp during the day when the 7yo is at school. my 4yo usually wants to stamp too, so i set her up a little station so she can stamp and color while i work. sometimes she'll watch tv while i'm stamping.

sometimes i will get things done in the evenings after dh comes home and can distract the kids, especially if i have a class deadline or workshop to prep and didn't get it all done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Y'all are making me laugh. The be "near" thing - isn't that why they invented school, LOL?

As for my hubby when he's not a work, we have a "man cave." It's dark, it's comfortable for guys and has a BIG screen TV. He never bothers me, besides, my craft room bothers him, so he stays away, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

I am upstairs at night when everyone is asleep too. But on other days, if I want to stamp on the weekends, then I feel weird. I'm so isolated up there, it feels like I'm ignoring them. I wish it was downstairs.
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

It really depends on what I am doing. If I am working on something that requies me to be in my room at my desk then that's where I am and my daughter is usually there too since she has her own desk there as well. DH will come and check on us about every 15-20 minutes. If I am doing something where I can be in the familyroom with them then I will pack up my stuff and go sit with them while they are watching TV. Since we are on Christmas break right now I find myself working more during the day and not so much at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaloso05View Post
I have a 2yo so while she's awake I'm pretty much in mummy mode. I stamp while she's napping (on the weekends) or in the evenings once she's got to bed.
This sounds almost exactly like me, except my weekend naptime and evenings are often consumed by class or homework instead of creating. I do however make a point to have at least 2 naptimes per month be creating time, in order to provide some 'me' and unwinding time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

My craft room is in the basement and what has worked for me really well lately is that I set up one of the big folding tables for my son and I bring him down there with me after homework - he then works on making his "paper action figures" (I give him tons of scraps, which he loves!) or even sometimes does his homework while I work, most of the time it buys me an hour or so of peace and quiet :mrgreen:. Also DH uses an adjoining room as his office and everything is pretty open so we can see/talk to each other if we want to (lol..) otherwise, I just sneak down there while everyone sleeps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

DH and kids come first. We try to set aside a couple of hours on Tuesday evenings for me to make cards. If I get time I do, and if there is something that I need to do instead I let my time slid.

Once in a great while Hunter (4yo) will want to work in the studio while Hailey (2yo) takes a nap. Some days she either naps when it is time to start dinner, or not at all.

If I have something that needs to meet a deadline then I will do it on a Sunday afternoon. Church wears the kids out, and DH can watch a little football.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Though I have an awesome craft room in the basement, I find that it's sometimes hard to create when others are around...and with four kids and two cats, they're always around!

So I often plan my work accordingly and stamp during my lunch time at work. I hide out in a conference room - it's wonderfully quiet and uninterrupted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

My craft room is upstairs.. our game room is the craft room. I really hate being away from my family when they're home, so I usually do most of my stamping when they're at work/school. A lot of times my kids will come up and hang out while I stamp if theyre home, but I would LOVE to have a room downstairs where I could stamp AND be with everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

My craft room is my haven away from it all so once the kids are in bed I'm in there making more mess than my kids do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I had some friends over the other day that I am introducing to stamping and scrapbooking and they were amazed. My hubby sits across from me and works on his own craft stuff and my girls (ages 4 & 5) disappear into their room and their world of princesses, polly pockets, my little ponies, etc. and only come out when they are hungry or need a hug.

I am pretty free to stamp whenever I do not feel guilty about not cleaning house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I mostly stamp at night when the kids are in bed or make simple projects with the kids (ages 2 and 5). The down side to stamping together is that they want to use my markers and glitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have a designated scrap area, so I just broke down and bought my girls (5 and 2.5) all their own stuff... A lot of it was dollar store stuff... And I gave them each a composition journal. Now, when I want to drag out all my stuff and create at the kitchen table, we just grab their box of stuff and they work on their "altered books" too! And then DH gets some Wii time on his own!

For anything more intensive or difficult, I have to wait til they go to bed or go to Gma's!

In my new house, I'll actually have a designated area that will be in the back of the living room. I'm hoping that with me still being right there, I can craft while they watch TV or whatever! We'll see if that actually happens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

i would usually get a folding table and sit next to them while watching tv and i would try to stamp, over the weekend, i put a little desk in my room and i have my own crafting little area now, which i love. but now that im in my room, my kids go in my room more! and they are 10 and 9. Even hubby came in to see what i was doing, they got used to me been next to them.

so i just stamped some images and when to the living room and just color them while we watched a movie.

or else, i can stamp when everyone is asleep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Ermmm.. manage?? we are suppose to manage our families around stamping ?? *gasp*

If I'm doing a project.. the look of do not bother me comes about and everyone scatters.. even the dogs & cats!! No seriously.. we all have our own separate spaces.. I don't watch tv so that is great for DH, cuz he gets the control of the remote!! And my daughter is in her room at night doing homework or playing a computer game before bed. I love my little room its my haven of peace at times to just shut the door and stamp or play literati.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

My children are all grown, youngest in College in Florida. I have an awesome craft room and my hubby travels monday thru Friday for work. I am always in my room...lol. I make so many cards for the different card ministries that I am involved in that I cant imagine not being in that room. If I dont feel like stamping (can that happen?) then I look through papers or rearrange stuff.
Christmas blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by imatbrownView Post

I am pretty free to stamp whenever I do not feel guilty about not cleaning house.
I need some of your genetics!!!

lol

ahem. Of course the fact that I frequently FEEL guilty in no way means that I actually DO clean the house! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #40  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

DH and kids come first most always, so stamping/scrapping is something I do when absolutely nothing else needs done and I've spent time hanging out with my family. Our home is small (one story, 1200 square feet) so there isn't really anyway to "escape" my family anyways! We have 3 girls (8, 6, and 3) so I can craft while they are around and they play or watch me and chat or make projects themselves. My table is in the family room, so my husband is there watching TV and the girls are playing and I even have a separate table for them to eat, play, and craft at. I'm NEVER alone so even though I'm NOT good at doing two things at once, I've learned to adapt! I get up at 5am to workout for a couple hours so crafting late into the night isn't an option.
Reply With Quote Likes