Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1st time going to IKEA!!!!!

On friday i will be going to IKEA for my first time ever!! I am so excited! I also just happen to be rearranging my craft room too at this time. soo...

Are there any must have items that i should check out or pick up?

any suggestions would be great!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Check out their (towel?) bars. They're great for hanging your punches.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Make sure you wear good walking shoes! I have one 10 minutes from me, and I have only been once. Once you enter the "maze," you can't get out, and it is so big, it takes a while to walk around.

The one thing I purchased you can see here (the second picture down). It is $9 but a pain to put together. I know a lot of people love this little unit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

It is a maze...hubby says "it's a fire trap" with not enough exits. Also, in our suffering economy, I try to buy American, there are not many items Made In U.S.A sold in that store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the magnetic knife holders that hang on the wall that I use for my Nestabilities...about $6 each!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

First of all, if you like ginger snap cookies, theirs are the best I've ever had!! Next time I go back, I'm getting at least 10 boxes (they're only $1), lol.

I LOVE the BYGEL system, for storing punches and tons of other stuff. LOVE my EXPEDIT bookcase. They have bigger one's too. I got some red KASSETT boxes to go in the bookcase. You can see pictures of everything on my blog HERE. It is an absolutey enormous store, so make sure you have plenty of time!:mrgreen:

Oh, yeah, I got a cheese grater there that I absolutely love too! It's like an oval shape, and both the bottom and top come off. So easy to clean!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

TOWEL RACKS OR CURTAIN RODS AND THE CURTAIN CLIPS. cLIPS ARE GREAT FOR HANGING THINGS LIKE WORKS IN PROGRESS, RIBBON, NESTIES. THEY HAVE GREAT STORAGE SOLUTIONS. TAKE YOUR TIME, EXPECT TO BE THERE FOREVER!!
HAVE I MENTIONED HOW I LOVE IKEA.
OH, AND TRY THE MEATBALLS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

I have the expedit bookcase (two of them arranged in a L-Shape with the matching desk) and LOVE it. Only issue was my plastic cropper hopper paper holders were too tall, but that was an easy fix by trimming .75" off the top.

I LOVE IKEA....Oh yes, wear COMFY walking shoes.... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

We just got the larger Expedit bookshelf and desk top for my "office" area in our dining room. That is where we have the family computer and stuff. We also got 2 of the smaller ones like Emily has to go on either side of our hutch in the same room. We went with the Black-brown color, so it doesn't clash with the maple hutch. I have the Gorm shelf system in my craft room to store all of my stamps and just bout everything else. I like it because it is unfinished wood(so really cheap) and very flexible. I was able to drill my own extra holes to put the shelves wherever I needed them. I also have the Bygel rails over my desk area for punches and my PTI ribbon. My craft room is the only room in the house that is not finished, or I would post pictures. The entire room is Ikea! As soon as I get it all cleaned up, I will add pictures. We just about lived at Ikea for the first 3 months after we moved into our new house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by megsmumView Post
TOWEL RACKS OR CURTAIN RODS AND THE CURTAIN CLIPS. cLIPS ARE GREAT FOR HANGING THINGS LIKE WORKS IN PROGRESS, RIBBON, NESTIES. THEY HAVE GREAT STORAGE SOLUTIONS. TAKE YOUR TIME, EXPECT TO BE THERE FOREVER!!
HAVE I MENTIONED HOW I LOVE IKEA.
I totally forgot about the curtain clips and the meatballs! I used the curtain clips to make my own Clip it Up. When we lived in Seattle, the kids and I would make a day of Ikea. It was a 1 hour drive for us, but it was right next to dh restaurant. So we would drive down there to shop and see daddy. The kids like the meatballs so much, we would shop, have lunch and then just say hi to daddy. They prefer Ikea meatballs to daddy's restaurant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Ditto on the comfy shoes and I love my Bygel rails for my punches. And the rectangular shallow baskets that you can still hang under the punches, have a few hooks on there too for my scissors. The entire kitchen organization part is amazing. My favorite part is the little "houses" or spaces that are like 250 square feet and are all set up to live in . I imagine living there with just me and my stamps!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Do not forget about the tealights. They are cheapest ones around and they last just like other tealights. I go through hundreds during the holiday season and I am bummed that I will run out before Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

ooo i am so excited! that expedit bookcase looks awesome, but i wont have room for something that big in my craft area..

anything else i should check out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I am obsessed with IKEA and have something from ikea in every room of my house. In my scrapbook room I have two fabulous items. One is a magiker bookcase set which they dont sell but they prob have something similar. Here is a pic. http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~sara/moving/B...agikerbook.jpg
My room is small so I laid the bookcase in its end to make cubbies and then i put my large scrapbooking items on top such as the cricut and the printer. I also have the skinny magiker bookcase with all the drawers which helps for all of the little stuff i hide and then i can put my albulms on the top shelves.

The second item that i love from ikea is this hanging rack which i put on the wall above my desk. I put the spice jars on it and in each of the jars i have my small embellishments like brads and ribbon and i hold my black inkpad that i use all the time in there. Here are the links to those items.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072645
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90072648
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40064702

I dont have any pics of my actual room. Have fun at IKEA.

oh wait i have one more item I love. I have 6 MALMA mirrors lining the wall.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90044151
They arent functional but they are super cheap and make a huge impact on the look of the room. I told you I love IKEA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

we are supposed to be getting an Ikea this spring in charlotte, NC. i cant wait. we had one when i lived in the baltimore area years ago but not since then. i have looked online and the shipping is way too much and sometimes i have to see and feel things to make sure it is what i really want.

i will gladly make the 1 hr 15 min drive when it opens....and make a day of it !!

lucky you to have one close by

thanks for the suggestions too.....a magnetic knife rack for nesties....how grand !! it is now on my list for spring opening (let's hope the economy doesnt squish it)

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tara1601View Post
On friday i will be going to IKEA for my first time ever!! I am so excited! I also just happen to be rearranging my craft room too at this time. soo...

Are there any must have items that i should check out or pick up?

any suggestions would be great!!
Way to go! Have fun and wear comfy shoes! I sugguest walking around the whole store! There are some many great things and items that will inspire you in your crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thanks!

Thank you, Scrapbella for posting the links because I didn't remember the brand of these. My DH bought me some of the baskets to go with the bars and I've been wanting to buy more except the nearest Ikea is 2 hours away! Here's what mine looks like so far...
Attached Thumbnails
1st time going to IKEA!!!!!-ikea-00000.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

That looks so cute. I cant believe I never though to put my punches on there. Now I will have to get more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

soo excited! thanks for all the great ideas.. i dont know why i didnt think of turning a bookcase on its side and using it as cubbies!! great idea... i am getting out my tape measure right now so i can make sure i know what i have room for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I owuld have never thought of it either. I had the bookshelf the correct way on one side of my desk and then another on the other side with a shelf bridge in my old apartment. Then I moved and made the smallest room in my house the scrapbook room. While I am happy to have the space dedicate to crafting it is only 9'x9' so the whole bookshelf system didnt work. Then i decided for the meanwhile to just flip it on its side to use the cubbies until I saved up and got something better. Its crazy but its the best looking shelf now and people love it. They think it is the proper way and I bought some fancy furniture. Little do they know that i was being resourceful because I had no money left.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy1View Post
we are supposed to be getting an Ikea this spring in charlotte, NC. i cant wait. we had one when i lived in the baltimore area years ago but not since then. i have looked online and the shipping is way too much and sometimes i have to see and feel things to make sure it is what i really want.

i will gladly make the 1 hr 15 min drive when it opens....and make a day of it !!

lucky you to have one close by

thanks for the suggestions too.....a magnetic knife rack for nesties....how grand !! it is now on my list for spring opening (let's hope the economy doesnt squish it)
I'm excited, too! February 18th is opening day!!

My Ikea craft purchase was the silverware caddy to hold my Copics, and I like it!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabushView Post
I'm excited, too! February 18th is opening day!!

My Ikea craft purchase was the silverware caddy to hold my Copics, and I like it!

Nancy
NO WAY!! I didn't know it was coming so soon!! :mrgreen: I went to the one all the way in Atlanta last time. This one is only half the distance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

When we moved in the Spring, my husband and I were excited about finally living close to and Ikea. We would always stop on the way to the airport in Pittsburgh when we would be flying home from visiting family. I would have to buy small stuff that fit in my suitcase of course. When we lived in New Orleans, we would travel through Houston sometimes and I could get big things since we had the car. Now, we are about 45 minutes out of Philly and we are at that Ikea all the time! We LOVE it for everything!

We have a lot of the bookcases and shelves. I store my paper in thier magazine boxes. I have some really cool lights from there too. I got these tall thin shelves in a black and white print that I store my sets in. They fit perfectly. From a not craft point, I have a lot of rugs from there and curtains. The tea lights are the best, especially if you go through a lot of them fast. My favorite peeler is from there. Oh, and I have a couple cutting mats........

Yes, my name is Tracy and I am an Ikea addict!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

IKEA. I love that store. GOOD thing I don't live nearby to one. Be sure to grab a cart. Even if you think you won't need it. Be sure to go on every single floor. and look inside the kitchen floor plan area..there are always a lot of really neat things there. Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by megsmumView Post
Yes, and be sure to take some home from the freezer in the food market bit - they are yummy - they also have jars of the delicious lingonberry too :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

Quote:

soo excited! thanks for all the great ideas.. i dont know why i didnt think of turning a bookcase on its side and using it as cubbies!! great idea... i am getting out my tape measure right now so i can make sure i know what i have room for!
That's what I did with mine, I have two of them - one sits tall, and the other is on it's side so it's like a backwards "L". I then have the desk attached to the tall one. It's wonderful :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #27  

We moved here from England 8 years ago and most of our furniture was from Ikea...everyone would ask where we got this or that from and we'd tell them, snug in the knowledge that it was quite unique...but no more LOL

Craft room - I have expedit bookcases which I love as they easily accommodate 12x12 - I have baskets that fit in them...the Bygel rails for my punches and I also hang baskets from some of them to store my paper trimmers, cutting mats, tools, scissors, magazines...I have two table tops that hubby secured together with height adjustable legs as I like to stand alot - a bar stool for when I want to sit...a desk with a pull out bit for working at...jars for storing bits and bobs...magnetic notice boards and bars for putting my cards on...oh and in the storage desk section I got a desk mat which I love as it acts as a worktop protector...

Have fun - its a great place to explore...and it's like a time warp in there...you will be amazed at how long you are in there and what bargains you 'need' to have :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #28  

Quote:

Thats what we did in our kids bedrooms - it made it a great place to store their books and toys - and the long top is great for them to put all their treasures and things they want to display - it's a great height.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #29  

Oh and one more piece of advice - clean the car or truck out before you go - you will need every available piece of space to take your goodies home :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsygirlView Post
Oh and one more piece of advice - clean the car or truck out before you go - you will need every available piece of space to take your goodies home :-D
haha thanks for the great advice my car is all cleared out so i have room to put my purchases... i have a feeling i am going to want a lot more stuff then i will have money or room for lol

well i leave in about a half hour.

i'll post later tonight when i get home and let ya know what kind of goodies i got!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #31  

so do spill the beans...what did you end up buying yesterday? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I need to go to Ikea without my mom. I went with her last time I was home for a visit and I really didn't like it. My mom kept complaining about how the store was too big and so messy (it really wasn't, there was just a lot of stuff in it). Will have to go again next time I am home but not take my mom. Her complaining made it so I didn't want to be there anymore. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

omg i love ikea!!! i want to go back again already!!! to bad is 1.5hrs away... or maybe thats a good thing? Well i really wanted the larger Expedit bookshelf but it was 3inches to tall to fit how i wanted it.. that made me sad :( oh well... so i mangaged to spend only $97 ... i was throwning stuff in my cart and not really keeping track so i thought i spent a lot more, until i got to the check out.. i had budgeted $200 so if i would have been keeping track there was more stuff i would have gotten.

anyways on to what i did get

2 candel lanterns
3 packs of sented votives
a photo holder the name is - Metall Dutt
3 white frames that hold a 5x7 picture
2 sets of photo cards
1 silver frame for my sister
1 large frame that holds 3 5x7 photos
some little metal cups that hold pens and what not, i got 3 of those
then i got the bygel system. i got
2 of the larger bars
2 of the smaller baskets
1 large basket
2 plastic cups that hang on them also
a pack of the 's' clips too

so i think think thats all :P

also a little tip for everyone the bygel baskets fit on a standrad curtain rod.. i am currently using those for my punches, and when i got home last night i was like i wounder if these baskets will fit.. they do... but i dont know how much they will support...

i attached a picture of the photo hold i got.
Attached Thumbnails
1st time going to IKEA!!!!!-dsc02958.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

good shopping!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

That's so cool ~ I'm living vacariously through you! :lol: My nearest Ikea is 3.5 hours away so I've never been but I do shop thier catalog & on-line sometimes. I have the Bygel system too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

i got my bygel stuff set up today... i am thinking i need and extra rod... i think i can order that on line though... at least i hope i can
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

well i am sad.. i went to ikea online and i can order more bygel stuff there, but the shipping is really expensive... like over $20 so i guess i will just have to wait till after the holidays to get time to go again. oh well :p
Reply With Quote Likes