Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How have you grown?

I was searching through my gallery this morning, looking for samples with Canvas for another thread. As I went back to my early efforts, I was amazed at how much my technique and subjects had changed!

When I first started out, I was all about the BB family. Bright colors and whimsical images were my m.o. I used markers scribbled on a plastic Cool Whip lid and picked up with blender pens as my coloring method. I started to get into embellishing with ribbon and eyelets. Layouts were spare and Canvas wasn't yet out, so I didn't layer any bg's.

Then I think that my next change came when SU expanded their vintage section. I started trying torn layers and I believe that this is when the Watercolor Wonder Crayons came out and I started experimenting with the aqua painter. I also fell in love with my Tearing Edge.

Then I walked on the wild side with different layouts and fell in love with SU's scissors to make cool edges. I got into a whole bunch of pastel color schemes offset by black layering.

Now I'm in my next iteration, loving the EE and RR families. I got through tons of Chocolate Chip because I use it almost everywhere for layers. I layer everything from bg's to stamps from multiple sets. I'm a distress-a-holic and love multiple embellishments and textures.

Anyone want to go next and tell us about your journey?

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have made cards for about 4 years, but they were VERY basic...I actually just got into getting new tools and branching out from SU in the past year and a half maybe...

Just over a year ago this was elaborate for me:
Very Punny Frogs by cjbapp at Splitcoaststampers

Recently, this one I consider just average:
Warm Snow Bunny Flopsey MFTWTG13 by cjbapp at Splitcoaststampers

I have kept my very first card that I made with SU stuff...it was a chicken colored with pencils, torn out and tied with a ribbon to a base. It reminds my of my favorite shirt that says: Remember where you came from...

If you forget, you will never be good enough, as long as you know where you came from...you will be proud of how far you have come.

It's fun to look back!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I've been stamping since 2000-ish. I was taken to an SU workshop, bought a set, the four season one, and didn't do anything with it. I think I bought another stamp a year later, did a card, and then 2002 I went to another SU workshop, and again, that was it. I then became a mom and it seems more important that I scrapbook her memories, ours too, and thought, "Wow, look at all my leftovers. Oh, I should make more cards." So I did. I bought more stuff and regularly went to my demo's workshops. That's pretty much the extent of it... just at workshops but more often.

November 2007 I joined the stamping blog sisters and felt obligated to post at least once a week. It then became more of a fun thing than an obligation and since then I've been creating everyday.

Here's my first card post: http://www.scrapbit.com/2007/11/14/ok-heres-a-card/

And the latest:
http://www.scrapbit.com/2008/12/10/thank-you-2/

400-ish creations in 13 months, with my full gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrapbit/

My favorites:

And my latest post:
http://www.scrapbit.com/2008/12/11/a-sosketchy-page/

I am quite happy with myself.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

What a great thread! I found a box of really old stuff (about 7 to 9 years ago, I think) and had a blast looking through it. I used mainly bright colors and my main themes were coffee, celestial, florals, bugs and butterflies. Rarely was there a greeting on the front, only on the inside. There were lots of different sizes of cards and many unusual materials such as cork, metals, seaglass and wood. Somewhere along the way I turned into a paper-only gal! I must have had more time to just play and stamp for fun as some of them looked quite time-consuming, with way more coloring than I do now.
One thing that has changed for sure -- most of the old cards had fairly predictable color combinations and many were quite monochromatic. Not like the off-the-wall combos I do now, playing with all my lovely inks and papers!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Wow! Everyone sure has grown. Its great to see where you came from and from what I saw you all came a long way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I love to the see the growth that many stampers have gone through. I've been stamping for about 7 years and I feel that I've grown as well. I too have been using Chocolate for everything. I love dark brown better than black (even for my wardrobe). And I tend to sponge ink on the edges of everything. I like the word distress-a-holic. That would be me!! I wonder if that says something about our personality?? Oh, and I even pay more attention to taking good photographs for uploads. Something I never cared about when I first started.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I've been making cards for a couple of years but could only find this early image from April last year.
My favourite more recent one is this Christmas one.
I definately think that taking part in the sketch challenges has improved my cards - I look back on the older ones with maybe just the image and a bit of ribbon and think "how boring"!!!
Attached Thumbnails
How have you grown?-cowapril07.jpg   How have you grown?-elzy211108_by_ruby-dooby-doo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmm.. I started stamping/card-making in the summer of 2006, and i've grown a lot in those two years... Back then I wasn't able to make a card without casing someone's idea and changing very few details... Now, i sit down, and make a card from beginning to end all from my little head (except when i play a challenge...)

here's my first upload:

and here's one of my recent fav's:

Man oh Man, how I've grown.... lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love seeing the progress, that means there's hope for me!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was not the beginning, but, kinda long the lines to where I started:

Faded Flowers by JulieHRR at Splitcoaststampers

And, then I switched gears about 4-5 years ago.

Now, I gravitate much more towards this:

A plain white little note by JulieHRR at Splitcoaststampers

What a fun thread--I love seeing what everybody's shared about their growth and evolvement!

And, I love wondering where we'll all be 5 years from now! So fun and exciting!

Cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it's amazing how not only we ourselves change...but styles change...you know what would be a fun challenge?? To go re-make one of our first cards. Like the basic stamp and layout...and see what happens now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

This was one of my first uploads and my first all by myself card.

Just Bee U by tay0479 at Splitcoaststampers

Then two years later i did this.

Just Bee U by tay0479 at Splitcoaststampers

and this is one of my most recent creations

Oriental Plum by tay0479 at Splitcoaststampers

It has been really fun looking back and realizing that I have grown, but remained true to my eclectic style.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started posting here in early May 2007. I love SCS and I have grown as a stamper ever since my first upload - mostly because of the amount of cards I have made.

This is my first challenge card: LSC114

I thought I was being SO clever with this - having a little "hanging sign."

This is one of my favorite more recent cards - mostly because I like what I did with the paper piecing. MFT Oh Fudge

There are techniques I need to improve on and there are some cards in the beginning of my gallery here that just make me cringe, but I don't think I'll remove them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

OK this is no where near my first card but you get the point.

Then:
Find Joy

Now:
Warm Hearts

I have to say that completing the weekly challenges definitely helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a fun thread!

And for the record, I haven't seen ANY ugly cards posted in this thread YET! They're all special and were made with love for their recipient.

Here is my first card ever. I posted it on January 16th of this year...the day before my birthday! Isn't it DREADFUL!?! LOL!!

Here is my most favorite recent one.

So in a year, I went from that pitiful, ugly card I first did to being on a design team! Oh wait...THREE! LOL! I was just a baby stamper and now I'm like a tweenager. :cool: :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started making cards in 1994 and they were just flat plain large embossed images colored with markers. About 2000 I began scrapbooking and in very little time was only making scrapbook pages for the most part. I began to feel guilty about all the stamps not being used and started stamping on scrapbook pages. Around 2005 I begain creating altered items and general paper craft items and doing very little scrapbooking or card making. Since 2007 I have been balancing my time between all my paper passions. When I look at old cards I can tell when they were made by what tool was really popular at the time. I am proud of how far my cards and scrapbook pages have come over the years but will never be done learning and expanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

This is great, it has really made me think back, and that's a long way (I've been stamping for 20 years). I don't have any of my first card's (for obvious reasons) and because I donate my cards to charity I don't have many to show the changes I've gone through. But things certainly have changed a lot in 20 years. We finally have Stampin Up in Australia, there are lots of scrapbooking shops and we still don't have a lot of choice with shops for stamping supplies.

My first cards were simple line art stamps from PSX which were either coloured with Derwent pencils or left plain. Now, my style is so different, it can change depending on my mood, the day or who I'm doing the card for. The only cards I don't seem to be able to do are the altered/collage style of cards other than that, I will give anything a go.

Thanks to everyone for sharing thier journey. It's been a great trip down memory lane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've grown a LOT as a scrapbooker and feel much more confident and happier with each scrapbook page I put together. Since those aren't posted on line, you'll have to take my word for it, LOL!

As for cardmaking, I've been trying for seven years to make a card like JulieHRR's second card posted above. I don't see as much change or growth in my cards as a result of such a focused goal. I started clean and simple and have stayed clean and simple.

Julie's online class in card design helped me a lot, but what I realize is that clean and simple is HARD (for AR/OCD me, at least), and I'm still plugging away at it. What just tickles me about it is how much fun plugging away is for me. I'm ever so happy with what I'm doing (or trying to do!) and don't feel motivated to get "fancy" with it and start making cards layered into the gorgeous confections I see all the time on SCS and blogs. Those cards are FAB in every way and are very inspiring to me--I actually crave looking at them, just like I crave eating chocolate!--but they are not "me," KWIM?

What a great thread, and one that got me thinking.... Love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't see anything dreadful about your first one. Your coloring is amazing, even then. This is such a fun thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
What a fun thread!

And for the record, I haven't seen ANY ugly cards posted in this thread YET! They're all special and were made with love for their recipient.

Here is my first card ever. I posted it on January 16th of this year...the day before my birthday! Isn't it DREADFUL!?! LOL!!

Here is my most favorite recent one.

So in a year, I went from that pitiful, ugly card I first did to being on a design team! Oh wait...THREE! LOL! I was just a baby stamper and now I'm like a tweenager. :cool: :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I love seeing threads like this! I don't feel I've grown as much as a lot of you have, probably because I am a CASEr at heart, and I don't make all that many cards.

I'm noticing a trend, though - seems like everyone went from simple to more complicated as they went along... except Julie!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

This is a great thread. I look back on my gallery sometimes and want to delete most of what I have done in the past, but it is an archive of my experimentation and development as a stamper. I don't have the mad skills that most of the other gals here have, but I have evolved and changed.
Then:
Eiffel Flower by stampinsweeney at Splitcoaststampers
Now:
Red Nose by stampinsweeney at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

:oops: Ooh, this is almost painful for me to share, but here goes. It isn't one of my very first cards (I've been stamping since around 2001, and I didn't even think to take pictures of my cards back then), but it's definitely from the early years - just a layer of cardstock, stamped and crumpled, then attached to a plain cardfront:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...n/DSCN1708.jpg

And here's one of my latest:
SeenShabby by lnl96 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

This is such a wonderful thread. I've enjoyed looking at everyones early work as well as their recent favs.
It's amazing how this craft keeps changing, and the tools we use keep changing for the better as well. Coloring options, layering options (nesties and die cuts) and embellishments have come such a long way!
this is the first card that I uploaded. I was in love with making my own backgrounds!
frolicking frog
Then I discovered prisma color pencils and the cuttlebug!
buzzzzzzzzzzz
and the following is my personal favorite
toile bunny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #24  
kraf*T*y mama

In just a year and a half I have gone from this

Baby Bunny Card -WishRAK by shastess at Splitcoaststampers

to this
Inspired by Bella by shastess at Splitcoaststampers

and I would like to think I continue to get better! And I really don't have that much time to devote to crafting as I have a full time job, two small children and a husband that works 4- midnight!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

ack, I'm so embarassed over this one:
SC24 Happy Faces by sleepyinseattle at Splitcoaststampers

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Reply With Quote Likes