Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Stamps--how do you know what you have?

What system or tips do you have on knowing what stamps you have? How do you know what images you have when you're stamping and need that certain image or look? I'm trying to come up with something. A friend of mine just has a bunch of 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of copy paper in a binder where she has randomly stamped every stamp she has, but that seems kind of jumbled to me.

What do you use?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I do the same but I have mine organized by the sets they're in, with the set name, the year it retired (if applicable) and how many stamps are in the set. They are then organized by type (greetings, flowers, holidays, etc.) You could also do it alphabetically by set name.

But I have all SU stamps, sooo.... if you're talking about non-SU stamps, I would suggest stamping them on 8 1/2 X 11" paper and organize by topic or by which ones you use the most to the least. Just my suggestion!

HTH

Last edited by Teatree; 04-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I've become a bit OCD when it comes to this.

First, I had DH set up a spreadsheet in Excel that lists each stamp set by name, how many in set, year produced, category (or 2) it fits into (i.e. Floral, Holiday, Baby, etc.) I can then search that list for a certain "type" of stamp.

And right now I'm in the middle of doing a "hands-on" binder that will have each stamp (set) stamped and arranged by category. Some of the stamps will be stamped in multiple places, as it could fit into more than one place. Sentiments would be stamped with the set they come with, but I also have a "Sentiments" section that is broken down into "thank you", "thinking of you", etc.

Another example: I have quite a few sets with hearts in them. I'm stamping all the heart stamps I have onto one page (making sure that I reference which set it came from for easy finding!), so that if I'm looking for a particular size or style of heart, I can flip right to that page and have them all right there at my fingertips.

This might seem a bit over the top, but I own almost 325 SU! stamp sets, so it's absolutely necessary for me to be able to know what I've got!!

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Even though I have close to 200 Stampin Up sets and a growing assortment from other companys, I don't have any lists. I am to the point where I will be starting something and I am thinking of doing a binder, but if asked if I have a certain set, within 90%, I know what I have. But yet I can't go to the grocery store for 5 things without a list. But, I have bought a duplicate set maybe three times so it is time to get a list/book going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
Even though I have close to 200 Stampin Up sets and a growing assortment from other companys, I don't have any lists. I am to the point where I will be starting something and I am thinking of doing a binder, but if asked if I have a certain set, within 90%, I know what I have. But yet I can't go to the grocery store for 5 things without a list. But, I have bought a duplicate set maybe three times so it is time to get a list/book going.
I keep the index cards in my gallery. That's how I know when I'm not at home to look it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow...I keep a spreadsheet like this, but with no where near that much detail. I do have the stamp manufacturer, product number, and how much I paid for it...this was mainly done in case of fire (yikes) for insurance purposes.

I certainly don't have all my individual stamps listed on the spreadsheet, because I started the spreadsheet as an "afterthought", but anytime I place an order for something, I immediately put it on the spreadsheet. I'm on line 392 of my spreadsheet, but some of these are individual stamps...holy cow...I didn't know I had that many! (actually have more than that because not everything is listed. I need help! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamperView Post
Well, I've become a bit OCD when it comes to this.

First, I had DH set up a spreadsheet in Excel that lists each stamp set by name, how many in set, year produced, category (or 2) it fits into (i.e. Floral, Holiday, Baby, etc.) I can then search that list for a certain "type" of stamp.

And right now I'm in the middle of doing a "hands-on" binder that will have each stamp (set) stamped and arranged by category. Some of the stamps will be stamped in multiple places, as it could fit into more than one place. Sentiments would be stamped with the set they come with, but I also have a "Sentiments" section that is broken down into "thank you", "thinking of you", etc.

Another example: I have quite a few sets with hearts in them. I'm stamping all the heart stamps I have onto one page (making sure that I reference which set it came from for easy finding!), so that if I'm looking for a particular size or style of heart, I can flip right to that page and have them all right there at my fingertips.

This might seem a bit over the top, but I own almost 325 SU! stamp sets, so it's absolutely necessary for me to be able to know what I've got!!

Hope that helps!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
One of my probs is that...well, say you want a star. You probably have umpteen star stamps, but where are they? Which set has them? Which one is just the right one for your card? See my prob?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I have thousands of stamps and I just remember. I guess I should have a better method but so far I have been fine. I forget about very few. I do have most of my individual stamps in drawers or plastic containers by theme.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #9  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I bought an index card binder at walmart, I usually photocopy a picture of the sets I have at a reduced size and stick them on an index card. I have this organized by theme, sort of, I am not done. I was doing alphabetical but that got to be too much.
Pia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a notebook, but never keep up with it so it's worthless now.

I don't have tons though and twice a year MINIMUM I go through to pull stuff to sell/give away, so that refreshes my mind as to what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep mine in a 4 X 6 photo album. Each stamp set has it's own page, so it's easy to add and take away things. I've got a picture on my blog
http://stampingexpressions.blogspot....ng-lately
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeatreeView Post
I do the same but I have mine organized by the sets they're in, with the set name, the year it retired (if applicable) and how many stamps are in the set. They are then organized by type (greetings, flowers, holidays, etc.) You could also do it alphabetically by set name.

But I have all SU stamps, sooo.... if you're talking about non-SU stamps, I would suggest stamping them on 8 1/2 X 11" paper and organize by topic or by which ones you use the most to the least. Just my suggestion!

HTH
This is what I do but I organize mine by set name alphabetically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I favorited all of the index cards that were made for my sets and then I reduced the size and put the pictures in a word document and printed them out. I also did this alphabetically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

i broke up my sets and stamped each one on rinter/copy paper sorted by category. then, i keep this in a binder with my clear stamps, also sorted by category. For example, i stamped all of the flower images i had (which took up three whole pages) and put them in the binder with all of the clear flower images. this way, i can see all of them at once - it had gotten to the point where i just couldn't remember what i had. now it is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatygressView Post
What system or tips do you have on knowing what stamps you have? How do you know what images you have when you're stamping and need that certain image or look? I'm trying to come up with something. A friend of mine just has a bunch of 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of copy paper in a binder where she has randomly stamped every stamp she has, but that seems kind of jumbled to me.

What do you use?
A friend of mine and I use this same system. However, my friend has created an index binder with all her images stamped on the sheets. They are all organized and she is able to find an image with no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

So far I have mine in a container because I don't have a heck of alot and they started out alphabetically but now they're jumbled around because I was using them the other day. My husband got me a new laptop not too long, I should really think about using a spreadsheet maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmilyView Post
I keep mine in a 4 X 6 photo album. Each stamp set has it's own page, so it's easy to add and take away things. I've got a picture on my blog
http://stampingexpressions.blogspot....ng-lately.html
What a great book! Makes me want to start on one right now. I have debated what would be more usefull for me because I hate to do all of the work and then not use it. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to keep mine alphabetically filed, but because the cases are different sizes that didn't work well. Now I just have mine shelved by case size and find that because I can see the sets more easily I really had a better idea of what stamps were in there than I realized! I will probably continue to search for the "perfect" way to organize them.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Currently I just "know" what I have...But I keep adding new sets either from Ebay for from the sell/trade forum here so I forget sometimes that I have something...I have them stored on their sides, so it's just an easy "flip" through to see what I have or need...One thing I do though is in whatever catalog is current, i will mark out or hilight the sets I have so when I am looking through I know not to order it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

My friend thinks I'm nuts because she has no rhyme or reason for sorting her stamps, just has them in drawers. I started a binder with 8 1/2 x 11 paper. The stamps are divided by types (flowers, words & phrases, Christmas, etc.), and I have the types in alphabetical order in the binder. I gave each type a number such as: flowers are 1, trees and leaves are 4, animals are 3, etc. Whenever I get new stamps I stamp them in whichever type page they fit. So I have pages labeled (Flowers - 1). I stamp my flowers there, mark the number on the wood stamps & have them in corresponding numbered drawers. If I have unmounted stamps, I put them in a CD case with the number written on the case, stamp them on the correct page in the binder, stamp a small sheet that fits in the CD case showing each stamp & marking the CD sets in the notebook so I'll know whether they're unmounted or wood mounted. Sheesh it sounds confusing, even to me. But it works. I have around 1,800 stamps & can keep track of all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I have no organization at all and have thousands of stamps not including about 300 SU sets maybe more. I pretty much know what I have but I was laughing telling my youngest son tonight as I was going through my acrylic stamps which are on cardboard in a box all nice and pretty when I ran into the same set twice. I said yep you know you like something when you buy it twice. LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I do the image binder system. I've been collecting stamps since 1995 so this has been quite handy. I have a ledger book that I log in each purchase, it's sorted into single stamps, sets and wheels and includes price paid, actual price, maker, etc. No pictures, just names of sets. Sort of like a running record.

Then I have a binder that I stamp each image of a set in together as a set, then I write the name of the set and the maker. Since I also keep an image log, it's nice to know which set that rose is from. I have when pushed for time simply copied the label of the set and stuck it in the set binder.

The image binders are index a lot like a SU catalog, all the alphabets together, all the kitchen items, out doors, etc. That way I can see what I have before sorting through over 6,000 stamps looking for that single stamp.

90% of my collection of stamps are unmounted now and they are also filed away similar to the index of the binders. When my stamps were in drawers I kept them sorted this way too. If I'm looking for a house stamps I go to that box.

The image binder has been a big help in avoiding duplicate purchases, why buy twice when you can get something else. And when I'm in a slump it's a great source of inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I have customers that purchase an extra catalog to cut and use as an index in notebooks. They also highlight the sets they already own in the catalog they carry to my camps so they know what they have already ordered..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have unmounted all 115 SU sets and have many other sets and singles. I have index stamped all and have them in a binder on letter sized paper. I also have an excel spread sheet so I know what I have. The main reason I am posting is because I found this AWESOME spreadsheet yesterday and it could help lots of you! Thanks to Eeyore63125!

Last edited by jbalcer; 02-20-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: attachment removed - this file is offered for sale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I take digital pics of a group of same-type individual stamps, in groups of 9 or so. With SU sets. I put 3 together and take picture.....then I can print them out and put in a binder.......this way I don't have to clean the ink off every stamp when stamping....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I take digital pics of a group of same-type individual stamps, in groups of 9 or so. With SU sets. I put 3 together and take picture.....then I can print them out and put in a binder.......this way I don't have to clean the ink off every stamp when stamping....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I have a ring binder system divided into stamp companies at the moment (with sentiments and Christmas stamps separate), so if I want a particular type of stamp, say a flower, I have to look through the whole folder to find the one I'm looking for. It's not ideal and I think it might be a summer holiday project for me to cross-reference stamps with categories such as flowers, hearts, male stamps etc. I think I might even have to have 2 folders going - one arranged into stamp companies and another in categories, just so I can keep track of what I've got. Hmmm I dunno.....

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #28  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I will write the exact same thing NYstamper wrote. I have excellent visual memory and just "know". Now can I find the set I 'know" I want? eh....another story!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I do the binder system as others have mentioned. I started mine before I knew about SU and already had several. I stamp each image, regardless of how it is mounted, in my binder under the categories it fits. This means some stamps are entered more than once (a teddy bear holding flowers for example). I have large categories (animals, flowers, etc.) which are then divided into subcategories (bears, frogs, dogs or sunflowers, daisies, etc.).

I need to make an excel sheet for insurance purposes, but have't yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I am very organized I have a little 1" binder from office depot where I keep an index of every stamp image I have.
All my stamps are unmounted so they are all also in 4" binders with a reference sheet next to each set.

This works great for me, cause when I want to use a stamp, instead of going through 7 huge binders, page by page, I get my little image index and decide what I want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I have them organized by my own categories.
And I have them listed in a Word file in alphabetical order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

One of my probs is that...well, say you want a star. You probably have umpteen star stamps, but where are they? Which set has them? Which one is just the right one for your card? See my prob?
I guess I don't care which "set" mine came from. I break them apart and store them in CD cases labeled as "Stars" "Arrows" "Christmas" "Easter" "Valentines Day", etc. I do have written down a list of what sets I'ev actually purchased so I don't duplicate, but as far as storing goes, I'd rather be able to find what I want and to see my whole collection of "stars" so I can compare them side-by-side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I have never bothered with an organization system. I never thought I'd get into stamping as much as I have. I have hundreds of sets, hundreds of individual stamps, and unfortunately, now it would be too much of a hassle to get them all organized!
I often forget I have a certain set until I see a card in the gallery using it! It's like re-connecting with an old friend! LOL!
I used to have the sets stored alphabetically, but now that I've moved most of my stuff to a downstairs closet, even that feeble system is gone with the wind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

When I first started stamping I created an extensive set of journal pages to record every stamp and supply. I was very good at keeping track but I found I never went back and looked at the journal. I still keep track of my stamps but I don't use the journal. I know what I have and I have several thousand stamps. I also keep copies of my favorite cards but I never go back and remake a card or look at my cards for inspiration.

I keep thinking I'll stop with with journal pages, but since I'm already committed I just keep making them.

the journal pages I do keep and use frequently are my color charts for markers, pencils, watercolor tools etc. I take the charts when I shopping for replacements or new colors so I don't duplicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

My index doesn't include the colors of markers and pens, but I do have an excel spreadsheet with a list of all the stamp pads and reinkers I have. I also have a sample of each EP and Glitter I own in the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

How do you know what images you have when you're stamping and need that certain image or look?
You DON'T! That way you always have an excuse to BUY MORE! Being too organized can seriously cut into your shopping habit....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Sounds like some of you may spend more time logging/cataloging your stamps than you have time to actually use them. Either that or you just like to collect stamps.

Yes, I do group my stamps individually by subject each in separate drawers, but that's it. All sets get taken apart and put in the appropriate category. Unwanted stamps from sets get trashed.

I have my orders for Stampin' Up stamps in the MSWord list I send to the Consultant when ordering. That's what I use to know what I've ordered.

Yes it has caused me to purchase stamps at stores that are duplicates of what I have......No wonder I like that stamp, I already have it! If that happens, I just return it for one I don't have.

I don't mean my comments to sound offensive, but I would just rather spend my time stamping and perfecting techniques and learning new ones.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Sounds like some of you may spend more time logging/cataloging your stamps than you have time to actually use them. Either that or you just like to collect stamps.

Yes, I do group my stamps individually by subject each in separate drawers, but that's it. All sets get taken apart and put in the appropriate category. Unwanted stamps from sets get trashed.

I have my orders for Stampin' Up stamps in the MSWord list I send to the Consultant when ordering. That's what I use to know what I've ordered.

Yes it has caused me to purchase stamps at stores that are duplicates of what I have......No wonder I like that stamp, I already have it! If that happens, I just return it for one I don't have.

I don't mean my comments to sound offensive, but I would just rather spend my time stamping and perfecting techniques and learning new ones.

Patti
I find that when I spend a little time organizing, logging and listing my stamps I use my stamps more AND more efficiently. By being able to refer to a binder or list, I don't waste precious time looking around for "it". Before I had a binder with all of my stamped images by category, I found myself using the same sets over and over. Now I am using more sets per card, to get just the right look that I want. I wholeheartedly recommend logging images in some fashion but the real important part is whichever way you go, HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

I've never considered keeping a record of them. I am unmounting a lot now, plus have a lot of acrylics. I am going to put them in groups in cd boxes, ie. flowers, flourishes, holidays. I only have 1 iris bin of single mounted stamps, so that's pretty easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

For my SU stamps, I sacrifice a catty and whenever I buy a set I cut out the catty photo and put it in a blank book. Non-SU stamps get stamped in the book. At first, I tried to organize the pages into categories (floral, kids stamps, sentiments, BGs, etc), but these days I'm lucky if they just get in there.
Reply With Quote Likes