Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't you fill out what you used in your project?

I would love to do a search and find my answers. I think I'm up enough on my papers that I can tell it's a basic grey, but from what set?

I just wondered why people don't do it?

Frustrated...so had to post.

Sheila
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it frustrating also, and everyone is suppose to fill out there supplies
used when entering a gallery photo, Some have blogs and probably
don't want to repeat it tiwce, but it is easy to copy and paste information.
I think twice about leaving comments for anyone who can't take the time to share the card information.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Sometimes I don't know! Especially if paper has been given to me by someone else. Some papers don't have that little white strip on the bottom with the name of the company. And as for cardstock, I've had some since I began scrapping with Creative Memories in 2000. I have no idea (for sure) where it came from, and I definitely don't know colour names! I think some people pay more attention to these kinds of details than others (not that that's a bad thing!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a gallery, but if I did, I probably wouldn't take the time to put the details. What a hassle. And people who do post cards in the gallery aren't obligated to share details. I think it is wonderful that they even share their creations with us! I suggest instead of trying to copy a card exactly, use it as a suggestion. Use the colors that make you happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I've seen several posts on this issue, and I think a lot of people don't do it because they have blogs - others do it because like scrappy knitter said, they just don't know - I think, too, that with so many cards being uploaded all the time, people just don't feel it's worth it to spend the time. If there's a card I really really want to know what they used, I just PM the poster!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, have come across some cards that I absolutely fell in love with but I needed more detail. For example, basic grey paper, yeah, but what line? I e-mailed the poster and she graciously responded to my question. I really appreciate that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Exclamation confused?

Where are you finding the information that we don't have to share details?
I thought the information was the opposite, that the site wants the information shared for members?.......Would be nice to see the posting
for the upload forumn

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcimaView Post
I don't have a gallery, but if I did, I probably wouldn't take the time to put the details. What a hassle. And people who do post cards in the gallery aren't obligated to share details. I think it is wonderful that they even share their creations with us! I suggest instead of trying to copy a card exactly, use it as a suggestion. Use the colors that make you happy.

friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #8  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 604 Likes on 424 Posts

I am guilty because with a lot of my patterned paper, I have no idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

It can be very time consuming to add in all the details about a project. If it's a matter of cutting and pasting from one site to the next, that's one thing. But alot of times I add more info about a project on my blog than I will on here or at PCP.

And if there is a card that I just have to know more about, I just PM the poster or visit their blog.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think it takes much more than a minute to just fill in the basics. And I have often put in 'Unknown DP'...I think the main idea is that people like to know the colors for a combo, and if you have embellishments, we often don't know what they are called but they look so awesome that we need them.

I think the purpose of the gallery is to inspire others, not to just show off. So I feel like it's a simple trade off...I get encouragement and a little praise which feels great...and I share the information of what I used so others can go back to their table with some ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
Sometimes I don't know! Especially if paper has been given to me by someone else. Some papers don't have that little white strip on the bottom with the name of the company. And as for cardstock, I've had some since I began scrapping with Creative Memories in 2000. I have no idea (for sure) where it came from, and I definitely don't know colour names! I think some people pay more attention to these kinds of details than others (not that that's a bad thing!)

I'm the same way - I used to be one of those people that could identify what line was what and what the paper was called. etc just by sight but over time, I've just come to not care so much. If I like it, I use it but I have stopped being a walking catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I always try to fill in the ingredients of my projects. Why not? It doesn't take that long. Sometimes I do have to copy & paste from my blog if it's long & I'm feeling lazy or sometimes I just forget what I used & use my blog for reference. If I don't know what something is, I'll make a note of it. I think what people forget is that there are always new people to stamping/crafting (whatever you do) and sometimes they just don't know what something is and would like to know. That being said, if someone doesn't have the info listed, I'll just ask them. There was one time when I loved what someone had and nothing was listed. So I asked her. Turns out, English was not her first language and it was difficult for her to get across, but we got it figured out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I try to provide supplies as accurately as possible with each of my uploads, so people don't have to email me to ask, and because I often don't have time to repeat the same info over and over again. ;)

Is a supply list helpful? Sure! I know it is greatly appreciated by many, especially newbies, who may not be as knowledgeable about the gazillions of products available on the market, etc. I used to be pretty on top of it, but, now there is so much, being output so fast, it's hard to keep up with. :shock:

At any rate, everyone on SCS is at liberty to choose whether or not they include that info when they share their artwork here.

Some may not be able to due to physical restraints--it may be all that one person can do to simply get the project uploaded, never mind typing detailed supplies, if they have arthritis, for example.

So, I take pleasure in being able to see what others share, and, if they include the details, that's wonderful. If they don't, and I really have a burning desire to know, I can PM them to ask. And, mebbe they can tell me when they have a spare minute to answer! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

When I post a card, I put in the details that I can get easily. If I had to spend time searching through my supplies so I could enter every last detail every time I posted a card, I would just stop posting cards all together. If that means some people don't look at my cards and comment...so be it.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

This is one of the reasons I don't really post any cards or LOs I make. Taking a picture and uploading is enough of a hassle to me, but then to spend 20 minutes per item hunting down info and typing it in? No way.

Most of us use a wide variety of products accumulated over time and just don�t have it all memorized or even indexed. When I shop, sometimes I know what I'm buying, other times I don't. When I get home, it all gets dispersed where it belongs, which usually has nothing to do with who makes it. So when I work on a project, I rarely know what I'm using. If I were to list out color names, I'd have to go back and see if I can identify the original paper it was from. Most of the time, that would be impossible because a lot of my paper just isn't indexed. Inks, that would probably be easier, but stamps are often unmounted and I don't index them really, and embellishments are usually out of their original packaging.

Would it be nice if everyone always posted details? Sure! But is it a sin if someone doesn't? Heck no.

If you expect people to take the time to hunt down all the details of what they used, can you not also take the time to just ask them if you are so concerned? Or do a little digging on your own?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Normally I put as much info as I have available. I will get up to look for the stamp company if needed. I am lucky to remember the store I bought the paper in, in which case I may note in the paper 'JoAnns', so they can at least go look for it. Many of my images, I have gotten in image swaps so assume it to be Stazon or similar ink, but dont know the set or company of the stamps or embellies. Sometimes a viewer will PM me the infor and I will add it once it is given to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I usually try to put in as much info as I have, like the name of the stamp or at least the company it came from and the accessories I used. I buy my paper locally from a warehouse and I don't know the name's or colors. I do have some SU paper but I store my paper by color and I couldn't tell what's SU and what's not.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes I wish I had all the info for a card, but most of the time if I really like a card I'll print out a copy on my laser b&w printer. That way I have the basic outline, but can use my own choice of colors, stamps and embellies. Makes me think a little more, but my cards seem more my own then. I just so much appreciate everyone that takes the time to download their creations, info or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I try to list my supplies used but sometimes it's almost impossible to remember all the different things you used. I have stamps that I have no clue what Co. made them and tons of papers that could be from just about any Co. If I had to track down every single thing I used it wouldn't be worth my time. If someone has a question they can always pm me and I will gladly respond with whatever information I can. If you really want to copy someone elses card that badly I guess you better pm them too if the information is not in their posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I put forth the effort to include the materials i use on a card, and think it's polite, but that being said, i RARELY look at other people's supply lists because, frankly, i don't need to. I will check to see what stamp set is used, MAYBE, but i am not swayed into buying a stamp set because of what someone has done with it.

Some people are so LITERAL in their creativity, that they feel compelled to copy everything a person does, or there are those people out there that WILL buy a stamp set based on what one does with it. I think it's funny that people do this, but at the same time, i wish i had the $$ and space to do the same... So.. I always list product info in case my work has inspired someone enough to want to use something I've used..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

just want to let you know that when I was a newbie, I had no idea SCS had forums.

It was quit sometime before I 'wandered" around and found the forums. So a lot of SCSer's don't know about listing supplies in uploads or even about this thread.

I say if you are really interested in a card and have questions, just PM the poster(when I was a newbie I did not even know about PMing).

I did this a couple of times. And I always got my questions answered.

And I do try to post all supplies with my upload. But most times I don't know the maker of the designer paper I used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I like the stamp set/brand at least being listed. Usually I don't care about paper, 'cause I may change that up or the color even. However, I think PMing for the details causes the poster to do as much digging around when I ask as digging around at the time of the posting-and they may have to answer several PM's. Just courtesy, I think, to post them when uploading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
Some people are so LITERAL in their creativity, that they feel compelled to copy everything a person does, or there are those people out there that WILL buy a stamp set based on what one does with it.
I have a friend that does this. She has to have the exact same cardstock, dp, stamps, etc. Drives me nuts. One lady came to a SU party that I attended and liked one card on a page of the catalog. She had to have everything on that card. That meant whole sets of cs and dp and stamp sets. Her bill was almost $200. Consultant loved that. I just wished I had her stamp budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

doesn't make any sense, if a person doesn't have time to fill in the details;
why do they take the time to upload a photo and wait for it to be approved and not list any details

friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
why do they take the time to upload a photo and wait for it to be approved and not list any details

There could be any number of reasons, Carolyn--Some may not be able to due to physical restraints--it may be all that one person can do to simply get the project uploaded, never mind typing detailed supplies, if they have arthritis, for example. UKWIM?

I have tendonitis in my arm, lots of typing can aggravate it and it becomes very painful. And, some folks don't have a blog (say whaaat? There's a human bean on the planet that doesn't have a blog? *chuckle* ), so they can't copy/paste it from there to here, etc. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I haven't uploded very much, but when I do, I try to put as much detail as possible about the stuff used. I know when I first found the gallery here, that info was very helpful to me. Sometimes I come across a card that I think looks great because of the color combo, but I can't always tell what those colors are so it helps to see those listed. Sometimes the ink colors used are what makes the card stand out, but so many colors look similar so I like being able to get that info in the details. I'm not usually trying to copy a card exactly, but the receipe helps me create some effect I liked the look of. Sorry about all the rambling, i hope it makes sense.
Having the project receipes is my favorite part about the SU catalog.
Also, I think for me its easier to list all the info when uploading then to later have to figure it out because someone PMs me for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #27  

Default project materials

I don't care about inks & stuff but knowing what the stamp set is would be helpful. I like looking at all the samples but I like to put my own spin on things. That and I'm also in a no new stuff use what I have mode. (we just moved & I discovered boxes of stuff I haven't even touched in yrs.) It was like Christmas came early. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

When I am creating cards or projects I try to keep a running list of supplies I used or what challenge it is from. Sometimes though I get inspired and just start working while I have the idea in my head and don't keep track of the stuff. On those occasions I simple put the brand and what it is (ex. SU! DSP). It can be quite time consuming to upload especially if you have alot to do.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Good point Carolyn. For me, it's just a question of time and how much of it I really don't have. I work fulltime (and them some), I have a family, friends, and even a couple of other hobbies. But, I love rubber stamping, I enjoy visiting SCS and being inspired by other, and I enjoy sharing what I've done. If I want to do all of this, I need to manage my time, and yes, make some compromises.

I wish I did have time to post all the details of my cards, and stalk all of the challenges, and play in the VSN's, and stamp every day, but the fact is that I don't. So I stamp when I can, post cards when I can, and give as many details as I have. I know that there are some here that appreciate what I share and some who don't, and the ones who don't can look at other galleries. That's not meant to be snarky...it's just that there is so much here on SCS, I figure there's something for everyone. I'm posting for the people who like my somethings the way they are. Maybe someday I'll have time to do more.

Oh, and I'm a fan club member so no waiting for approval! ;)
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

To me it doesn't matter what's written. If I want to look at cards people post, I just look at them. How they made it or what materials used is of no interest. It's not like I would ever want to duplicate it exactly, anyway.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Sometimes I think people are using SCS's generosity to just "warehouse" their photos here for use on other websites KWIM? I don't know if it's true or not, but it's just what runs through my mind whenever I see no details on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am sure there are some that simply use SCS to warehouse. If it becomes a problem for Splitcoast, I know they'll figure something out. But they have set quite clearly that there are no rules for uploading cards. As long as the content is appropriate, lol, they're fine with whatever info people choose to share.

Heck yeah it's nice to be able to see the details if I want them; usually it doesn't matter to me. As Julie said, though, there are many reasons why people might not provide all or even some information. Language restrictions, health restrictions, time restrictions, knowledge restrictions, and on and on, ad infinitum. The fact is, whatever the reason, it's nobody's business to judge whether it's good enough, lol. People choose to share their artwork. I like to think they're sharing part of themselves. I'm never going to say it's not good enough because they didn't share the nitty gritty of how it's done.

If YOU want to share all those details, hey, that's great! Please don't make other people feel bad because they have a different view of thing....it's "their" gallery every bit as much as anybody else's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I always try to post details about the products I use both here in the gallery as well as on my blog, but I don't specify which collection of papers, or which specific stamp set. I just put in the manufacturer. I figure it gives someone who really wants to know a jumping off point for finding the same supplies. Unless it's a really obscure or discontinued line of product, I won't put in specific details.
I also am bothered when people don't put in details about products used, I can't tell you how many times I have found a card, or other project with a specific product that I couldn't find because there was no info about it. It doesn't take that much longer, and I think it's a common courtesy to do so. JMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

A lot of times there are embellishments, stamps or other papers that just catch my eye...but when I look (being new) I have no clue what they are referring to...but I want to learn. It's frustrating when you do a search and your project doesn't pop up because nothing was put in the recipe.

If you are spending that much time to scan or take a picture of your card, it's just lost in all the other recipes. So, if you want to share, why? EGO???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #35  
Vintage Vixen

Except for my earliest uploads (when I barely had a clue :p ), I include product information and basic instructions for my cards. Occasionally I'm using a scrap of decorative paper and I don't know the source, in which case I say so. And if I use something common like a "copper brad," I don't list a company as they are widely available.

I learn so much reading other people's descriptions, especially when they used a different technique or had to complete several different steps in order to achieve a certain look. I try to return the favor with my own uploads, but don't begrudge someone else who doesn't do the same. They may not get a comment from me though, regardless of how well I like the card. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I do enter my stamps used -- company and line/name, but as far as inks and papers, I use so many different companies. If I know off the top of my head that I used a particular thing, I'll note it, but I also take everything out of packages, so sometimes I cannot remember a manufacturer of certain gemstones or such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think if people want to post their creations simply to inspire or give others ideas, they shouldn't feel that they have to list all the products they used. Sure, it's nice when at least the names of the stamps are used; but if it isn't, I don't really mind. I mean, at least they were nice enough to share. If I really need to know specifics, I can PM the person who posted it. And I don't think it means that someone is abusing the SCS Gallery by not giving all the details. People have different reasons for what they post or don't post in the Gallery, and I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions. JMHO and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Same here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
This is the same problem I have. I simply don't know the name of the color. I have purchased cardstock in bulk and sometimes have been given some as gifts. I usually know the brand, just not the name of the color. I have even used stamps where I have no idea where they're from and I have to post in the forums for help to identify them. I don't think anyone means to do it purposely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Most of the projects posted are really nice and very well done. Sometimes I see a card with a technique I would like to try. The paper isn't important to me, I can always find something in my stash. What I want to know is what kind of ink was used, or what type of pencils or markers were used or where did that unusual stamp come from? These things are usually marked. Did you use brads or was that stickles? It is the little things that count!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

It's partly that I'm lazy (not afraid to admit that). When I am crafting, I want to have fun and be creative. Not painstakingly write down each and every thing I used. Then, my craft area and computer room are not in the same place so when I sit down to upload my photos, I'm not going back to the craft room to try to figure out everything I used. Sorry, not happening.

But, it's MOSTLY because I don't know what I'm using. LOL. I have tons of UIP (unidentified paper) collected over the years and it's mostly grouped by color. So if I reach into my pile of greens and pull out a random sheet, I have no idea where it came from, who made it, the name of that particular shade, etc. So I don't feel the need to list "green cardstock" when you can see from the picture, it's green. I am not a namebrand crafter. I just use what I see that I like.
I figure if someone wants to know a detail that I haven't listed bad enough, they will ask me. If I know the answer, I'll tell them and if I don't know, I will at least respond and let them know that.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes