Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to shellca
Default Is she nuts?

Ok, a little background...

last year, my friend Laura asked me to help some girls she mentor stamp some cards. There were around 30 girls and we did 6 cards. I got paid for the supplies and for my time in preparing everything. I am not a demo, so it was fun for me....

so, one of those girls' moms called my friend Laura today. She wanted Laura to call me because she wanted me to help her with her son's boyscout troop to make, get this, 500 cards to send to the soldiers (so they could have cards to send out). Here's the kicker... she wanted me to have it all ready (samples, cardstock cut, etc.) by this weekend........... is she nuts??????? for 500 cards?????? I told Laura to call her and tell her she was nuts... lol. It would've been nice to make some $$$$$, but come on, really....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

some people have no clue
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellcaView Post

last year, my friend Laura asked me to help some girls she mentor stamp some cards. There were around 30 girls and we did 6 cards. I got paid for the supplies and for my time in preparing everything. I am not a demo, so it was fun for me....

so, one of those girls' moms called my friend Laura today. She wanted Laura to call me because she wanted me to help her with her son's boyscout troop to make, get this, 500 cards to send to the soldiers (so they could have cards to send out). Here's the kicker... she wanted me to have it all ready (samples, cardstock cut, etc.) by this weekend........... is she nuts??????? for 500 cards?????? I told Laura to call her and tell her she was nuts... lol. It would've been nice to make some $$$$$, but come on, really....
NO? 5 days not long enough to prep for 500 cards??? LOL

I agree she is nuts - she has no clue how long it takes to prep - maybe 50 cards - but not 500!

The troops will be there for another 15 months or so (unfortunately) so maybe you can get together with her in late summer or early fall to get some cards done with them to mail out next season - although I am sure they can be mailed out all year long not just at Christmas...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #4  
Vintage Vixen

Maybe not nuts, but definitely clueless. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellcaView Post

:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Be flattered. Apparently you did a great job and made it look easy. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I would not want kids using my crafting supplies to make 500 of anything. Talk about ruining stuff! (No offense to anyone, I have kids myself, I am just sayin' NO THANKS to that idea.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, she is nuts! You would need a lot more time to prep for that kind of task. Not to mention how many scouts was she proposing to make these 500 cards? That is a bit ambitious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
Yes, she is nuts! You would need a lot more time to prep for that kind of task. Not to mention how many scouts was she proposing to make these 500 cards? That is a bit ambitious.
she wanted each boy to make 5 cards... imagine how I would teach 100 kids to do it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nuts and clueless!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #11  
SCS Swap Moderator

Totally clueless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

not to mention the cost of the supplies! When my sons were in scouts they were always asking for parents to catch up with the dues and wondering what the next fundraiser was going to be. In addition to the nuts and clueless for thinking that anyone could prep for 500 cards in 5 days, do you really think she has any idea what the supplies and your time would cost? wowza!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in a craft group of ladies at the church. These 12 ladies have made cards before but it is still hard to try and teach all of them a new technique because there are different levels of skill. I agree with the OP about my craft supplies. I am even reticent to share some items with these ladies because there is also the use/care differences-some are rougher than others, some get adhesive/glue on everything, etc.

I have 1 daughter and babysat kids for my income so I could be a stay-at home mom. Also taught Sunday school but 100 Boy Scouts, not in this lifetime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

So, you're not doing it???? LOL!! Would you even have enough supplies on hand to make 500 cards? I'm a demo and I don't think I have enough card stock to make that many cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

NUTS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
Would you even have enough supplies on hand to make 500 cards? I'm a demo and I don't think I have enough card stock to make that many cards!
nope, I guess she thinks I can just run to Michaels or somewhere and get all I need...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

If you are a SU demo gal this would be a kick-azz way to make a buck! Tell the "nutso" gal to place an order for the supplies....heck, I would even loan her my paper cutter...LOL

Yikes, what are people thinking??? Most non-card makers have no idea the time it takes. Good for you for saying no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I know how that feels. Once family and friends found out I made pretty good invitations they expect me to do them for free. Usually I will if I volunteer, but come on now. The least they could do is offer supply cost.

But 500 cards and by hand? Yeah she's smoking something lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Is she drunk? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Sadly, this story is not uncommon...I will do custom invitations (birthday, shower, etc...) for friends and their friends. One gal called me up and wanted 40 birthday invites in a week's time! So that means I have to get all the event info, create two or three samples for her to choose from and after connecting with her, buy materials and then make them! I work full time outside the home, too... I scared her away by telling her it would be a $50 RUSH ORDER fee in addition to the total cost of the project. Usually, I ask them to allow 6 weeks for development and production.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

My son in law does fund raiser with schools, usually cookie dough, gift wrap, etc. He got an idea that I could sell my cards this way. I told him thanks but no thanks, they are way too labor intensive and the money would have to be split 3 ways (the school, my SIL's company, and me). I'd probably end up getting 50cents for a card that took $1 and an hour to make!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

the Gemini in me agrees you should be flattered she asked you, however she is nuts and has absolutely no clue. I wouldn't dismiss the idea 100%, as I think it's a wonderful idea for the boys to do and they'll remember making the cards for a lifetime. The timing and details need amending.

When I was a Girl Guide leader we always had meetings well in advance to prepare for these kind of events. My suggestion would be to suggest the card making be put off until January. Have a meeting with the leader ASAP to decide on the design of the card. Let her make some of the examples so she knows how to help the boys. Figure out with her how many supplies are needed for 500 cards, show her the price and decide who is responsible for picking up the tab. Better still, let her order the supplies from the demo and pay. Ask her if the troop has the glue or adhesive and envelopes you'll use, to give her time to buy them herself. Explain how long it will take for the order to arrive. Arrange a second meeting with her after the supplies arrive for her to help you cut and prepare the cards. You may find it takes you more than one evening even with help. Then and only then will she realize what an outrageous demand she made. Please let us know if you follow through with the project. We'd love to see the cards you decide on.

Last edited by MaggyMay; 12-01-2008 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgoodView Post
Sadly, this story is not uncommon...I will do custom invitations (birthday, shower, etc...) for friends and their friends. One gal called me up and wanted 40 birthday invites in a week's time! So that means I have to get all the event info, create two or three samples for her to choose from and after connecting with her, buy materials and then make them! I work full time outside the home, too... I scared her away by telling her it would be a $50 RUSH ORDER fee in addition to the total cost of the project. Usually, I ask them to allow 6 weeks for development and production.
I have an identical situation except she neede them in two days. She asked me and I said by the end of the next week (giving me 2 weeks with my other responsibilities -- I needed to specialize it too to the theme and had to look everywhere for the materials). She called me the next day and left a message that she would be picking them up the next day! I called her back and said, hey, I told you I needed until the next week, if she needed them that fast I had seen similar theme at Walmart and she could pick them up instead of coming to my house, but there was no way I could make them that fast. I was so upset, and I haven't heard from her since. !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Let me add to the OP that she is nuts if she thinks 100 boy scouts want to make 5 cards each. HAH!! I dont' think she realizes that most boys won't want to "make cards" for that long, are you kidding?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingersView Post
Let me add to the OP that she is nuts if she thinks 100 boy scouts want to make 5 cards each. HAH!! I dont' think she realizes that most boys won't want to "make cards" for that long, are you kidding?

I agree 100%! Not even young girls of that age. I wonder what made her grab 500 out of the air?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I would go buy 250 sheets of Walmart White CS...cut it all in half...or have kinkos do it in two seconds...score it...and have each boy color with crayola markers or crayons on the fronts of 5.

There's your 500...at a cost of about $8?

Crazy to think anything more could come of it in that amount of time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I could do this in an evening
white based card
jolliest time of the year use the santa tree and the snow man
ok now the fun
assign the troop into duties
9 fold white card stock in half
4 stamp sayings inside
3 stamp tree snowman and santa in black on precut white squares
4 mount the stamped figures on precut colored squares red for santa green for tree and light blue for nowman

ok all that is done now they can all personalize there own color a little glitter and then glue the square on the card after there dried

20 kids each make 25 cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I've got to do 50 christmas cards for my school to send out to the governors, suppliers, volunteers etc. I made a sample last night (took about 15 mins max) and cut 60 of each of 4 different sized pieces of card/paper - that alone took about 3 hours (need spares just in case)! I stamped the snowman image we are using during a class and a lunchtime break last week (tut tut - should have been helping the kids but they were doing well on their own!) so that was another hour or so of stamping (I did have 2 children try to stamp but they found it too difficult bless them!). Then we spent last Friday afternoon coloring all the snowmen's hats and scarves etc which took the kids 30 - 40 mins but some of them need to be redone as they're not quite as colored in as I would like. I now have the joy over the next 2 Friday afternoon lessons of 45 mins each of putting everything together. This is all for only 50 cards, made by 30 8/9year olds. I know it's going to take absolutely ages and I'll probably end up fixing most of them so they look more decent!

How on earth this woman expects you to be able to prepare everything for the 500 cards and teach the 100 or so boys to make them is beyond belief?! I couldn't do that with my own class so I know it would be challenging.

All in all I say yes she's nuts!! Has obviously never made a card in her life!

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd tell your friend Laura that the troop needs to take up a collection to buy this woman a CLUE for Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischelle larsonView Post
I could do this in an evening
white based card
jolliest time of the year use the santa tree and the snow man
ok now the fun
assign the troop into duties
9 fold white card stock in half
4 stamp sayings inside
3 stamp tree snowman and santa in black on precut white squares
4 mount the stamped figures on precut colored squares red for santa green for tree and light blue for nowman

ok all that is done now they can all personalize there own color a little glitter and then glue the square on the card after there dried

20 kids each make 25 cards
that's a great way to break it up!

they need to NOT have glitter though in order to be sent to soldiers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This whole plan has fiasco written all over it.

I was sometimes shocked by the condition of my supplies after letting a group of 6-8 grown women use them. 100 boys? HAH!

People who don't paper-craft just don't have any concept of the time and money involved.
Reply With Quote Likes