Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What was I THINKING??

My sisters-in-law and I went to Walmart this morning to door-bust. I got the two things I went there for -- both Christmas gifts -- and checked out. As I was leaving, one of the clerks walked by with a Cricut Expressions. I said - is that going back on the shelf? Yes, she replies -- I said -- I"ll take it!!
It was $200 -- a super price for that model.

Then, I did a mental review of the stuff I have at home -- Big Shot and at least six alphabet sets -- all bought on ebay at a great price. I said to myself - you don't need a Cricut, especially in this economy. I handed it back to the clerk and went home.

But am I sad now!! I do wish I had bought it --even if I didn't "need" it!

Anyone else regret not buying something today?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Buy in haste, repent at leisure. Good for you for resisting temptation.

I don't regret not buying anything because I stayed home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like crowds at all, so I only ventured to WalMart and CVS this afternoon- not in the morning rush. But right now I'm sitting here wondering if I could still find any Cricut cartridges at JoAnn's, and kind of regretting not going to see this morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I went to Mikes around 11 this morning and they had tons of cartridges - I mean they were stocked so well, I was very impressed...so its not too late :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I didn't go out today, but I'm seriously debating about whether to hit the black friday sale online at www.ibrakeforstamps.com I've put stuff in my shopping cart. But TODAY I just got my credit card paid off ZERO balance. Geez....... do I need 3 more sheets of stamps?? No. But I want them. I guess I have until midnight to decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I stayed home and resisted all the 40% and 50% off coupons that are everywhere at all the stores!! I can't possibly even use all the craft stuff I ALREADY have! So, good for you! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good for you - yeah - the price was good but something tells me, the prices will be good again when they don't sell as much as they want to this holiday. I bought a few things from my SU! rep and refused to go shop today. I don't need any thing - I have way too much of a stash. If I'm not in the store - I won't buy. Now I did send DD (18 and 13) to get their holiday gifts for friends while the sales were good. I gave them a budget and said thats all - spend it on 1 gift or 10 up to you but the rest is your babysitting money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekip2View Post
Good for you - yeah - the price was good but something tells me, the prices will be good again when they don't sell as much as they want to this holiday.
I totally agree with this....I think with the economy the way it is, people are not spending no matter how cheap things get. So the deals will be there for a while! I think the Black Friday sales trickle down to those of us that don't mind 2nd-hand. Since all those people who bought new toys today might need a place for their not-so-old ones!

I stayed home today...bought a few things online that I had wanted for a while and were cheaper today. And I didn't buy anything I didn't know I wanted before today.

A GREAT deal is only GREAT if you were going to buy it anyway. Spending $200 on something you didn't want at $300 is just not that great of a deal. LOL

It's different if you wanted it so bad, but couldn't afford it before...then it's a great deal when it becomes affordable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Well, I didn't go out today, but I'm seriously debating about whether to hit the black friday sale online at www.ibrakeforstamps.com I've put stuff in my shopping cart. But TODAY I just got my credit card paid off ZERO balance. Geez....... do I need 3 more sheets of stamps?? No. But I want them. I guess I have until midnight to decide.
The trouble is unless you stay strong you will have a new balance to pay off. Save for the next Sale. In this climate there will be one soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Good for you, Vicki!!! I didn't go out today except to deliver some groceries to the food bank. At 1:30 the parking lot to Old Time Pottery was jammed!!!! Can't imagine what some of the other stores were like. There wasn't ANYTHING I needed or wanted even with the 40% and 50% coupons. I don't do well with crowds unless there's something I really want. Have a great weekend.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
A GREAT deal is only GREAT if you were going to buy it anyway. Spending $200 on something you didn't want at $300 is just not that great of a deal. LOL

It's different if you wanted it so bad, but couldn't afford it before...then it's a great deal when it becomes affordable!
Yeah, that's the only reason I ventured out this morning at oh-dark-thirty to try and get one of the discounted GPS units at Wal-Mart. I've been wanting one for well over a year, but couldn't swing the price.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I would resist, too, even though I really want one. The money will have to rain down from the sky so I can get one, as it is not in the budget at all. I didn't think I "needed" a Cricut until I looked through the alphabets on the Cricut website. WOW! But I will have to wait for that money storm.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good for you! I stayed home from the stores today and looked at online sales but totally resisted them, too. Impulse buying usually isn't such a good idea. There will be other sales ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

At least you guys didn't have to go shopping......I did......My DS1 is to wed in two weeks and I didn't have a dress......no kidding....I didn't even own one until after i shopped today........Picture this,,,,me- who hates to shop for clothes in the absolute worst way, my DD2 who also needed a dress, future bride, and a crabby 3 year old who hates shoping like his grandma..........so we waited until after 9 to go to the mall in a large city where son lives -----and in 1 hour and 15 minutes we had two--count em, two outfits purchased and stowed in the car.......Then I was asked to go help buy the ties for the groom, groomsmen, ushers and ringbearer(said crabby 3 year old)......That took just as long(ok the buying didn't, but the driving to another mall and finding a parking space and finding the store did). I was so relieved when it was over!!!!! And to make things worse--I didn't get to step foot inside any of my scrap/stamp stores that only exist in said large city.-----------------

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes, c-mouse - Black Friday has a whole new meaning for you! I feel badly for you and you need to give yourself a little reward for dealing with all of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Good for you Vicki! I actually took today off from work to stay home and CLEAN my house! I really dislike crowds and don't need to frustration. :(
Tomorrow... cleaning and purging my stamp room!!

My Gallery
and My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I stayed home as well. I thought about going out, but I don't need anything at the craft stores. I think I have a craft store in my house! I did want to go to Target, but I didn't feel like standing in line.
My kids (who are in college) gave me their Christmas lists, which were mostly books and DVDs, so I went on Amazon and got good prices with no running around (and of course they had free shipping).
Now I need to shop for the one gift only people - the nieces and nephews, etc. Target does have a really cute ride on toy for my one year old nephew. It will probably be sold out if I get there tomorrow. I guess I regret not going to Target.
I don't regret not going to WalMart. People are crazy! Did you see on the news that a WM employee was killed by people storming the building? I want no part of that.
Good for you for not buying the Cricut! So, what did you get?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Good for you Vicki, it's better not to buy in haste.

For me, it was easy to resist temptation, I was at work! ;) I guess that won't stop me from shopping on the internet tonight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I regretted not going to Wolfe's (camera and computer shop in town) this morning...they were having a great deal on the new 8GB iPod nano -- $99 down from $149! I've been wanting one, but when my alarm went off at 6:15 this morning, I just couldn't do it. I went to the store at 11 a.m. and was told the 8GB nanos had sold out in 13 minutes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I stayed home. Never even left the house! You were smart to put it back. I think this economy has most of us examining our greed. I know I am. I have an insane amount of stuff. I could honestly stamp every single day for a year and NEVER run out of anything. I mean paper, ribbon, adhesive, embellishments ALL of it! I am trying so hard to use what I have, and I would have put it back, too! I have a cricut that I have not used, even once, in a year and a half.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I would love a cricut, it is on my wish list. But I know we can't afford it right now. I wanted to go out shopping for the kids this morning, I love Black Friday shopping, but no money to go. So we stayed at home this morning. Plus it was snowing like crazy here today. Only ventured out for play practice tonight, and the grocery store for milk and juice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was up at 4am but not to shop...take hubby to airport for business trip..came home and took a nap and then had 4 of my closest stamping buddies over for the whole day and most of the evening all making cards and having a great time...No men around for a few days so we are so enjoying it. I offered them to stay over but all went home and will be back in the morning...I guess I understand the wanting to sleep in your own bed thing...lol...Tomorrow a few other ladies will join us. I am looking to another fabulous day with my friends...lots of cards getting made..many for my soldier box. Blessings ladies...I am glad some of you got some great deals...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Went to the bank, grocery store, glanced in the parking lot of Michael's on my way by, went back home, lol. I've spent enough lately, and I can't stand crowds...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I didn't think I "needed" a Cricut until I looked through the alphabets on the Cricut website. WOW!
I saw them at W*M* today, too, and I hesitated. I DON'T need one right now, and when I graduate from college in three semesters, the bigger/better/fancier/digital ones that don't need cartridges will also be CHEAPER... that's my story and I'm sticking to it (white knuckled, maybe ;-) )!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I totally agree with this....I think with the economy the way it is, people are not spending no matter how cheap things And I didn't buy anything I didn't know I wanted before today.

Oh, but I do want it LOL! Just really can't justify spending that much money on myself a month before Christmas. I went back to Walmart last night to see if it was still on sale (they still had three of them in stock) and it rang up at $289.99 -- if $200 was too much, than 289 really is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
I saw them at W*M* today, too, and I hesitated. I DON'T need one right now, and when I graduate from college in three semesters, the bigger/better/fancier/digital ones that don't need cartridges will also be CHEAPER... that's my story and I'm sticking to it (white knuckled, maybe ;-) )!
good point! There's always something better coming out! Ok, I feel a little better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

DH saw a tv ad for the cricut expression and wants to get it for me for Christmas but I cringed and said it's just too much to spend especially since I have the big shot already which I love.

Never bought any black friday items either. We're watching our pennies and saving for every purchase so there's no after holiday plastic remorse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I regret not going to Target yesterday. They had a $200 GPS for $100, and my kids always seem to get lost when they go somewhere new. I wanted to get it, but I didn't want to shop at all on black Friday. Target's sale was a two day sale, so I went out today. The GPSs were all gone. :( Oh well, I'll find another sale before Christmas gets here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I regret not going to Target yesterday. They had a $200 GPS for $100, and my kids always seem to get lost when they go somewhere new. I wanted to get it, but I didn't want to shop at all on black Friday. Target's sale was a two day sale, so I went out today. The GPSs were all gone. :( Oh well, I'll find another sale before Christmas gets here!
This is the one of the few things I did buy -- i got a Garmin GPS for my son for $97 -- I think he's going to be thrilled!

It's not a cricut but it'll do LOL!

And to the poster who has a big shot already-- so do I! That's the big reason I put the Cricut down. But wouldn't it be heaven to have both? The Big shot can do things the Cricut can't and vice versa....
Reply With Quote Likes