View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #902
EmptyNestMom
Proud Fan Club Member

Smile Recipe update from Christyne...she sent this in an e-mail to me

TO everyone here - first off, I haven't fallen of the planet!! I'm sorry for not posting or keeping up. I had a WHOOPS/OOPS with my back (ugh another set back), AND then a couple of RUSH cases I had to work on. In a few hours, I will be back home, back IN MY BED, and I PROMISE I will get back to working on the SCS cookbook! I'm so sorrrrrrry for the delay, but geez, LIFE happens, even when you think you've prepared for ANY glitches!

THAT SAID...Christyne, the lovely sweetheart who posted her recipe here, sent me an e-mail, FIRST to grant permission to include the recipe, AND with a bit of a back-story as to how this recipe came about. I asked if I could include THAT as well into the "book", as I find it to be heartwarming personally. She said YES! (YEAH!)

She also wrote that she had omitted one part of the mixing portion for this recipe, so I'm posting ALL of the info (back-story), her fav. version, AND the missing portion now. I'm SURE she will not mind that I am doing this, as it will also be in the book (that's still in the creative process...) I think what she wrote is just touching, READ how many generations this recipe has been passed along!!! <>

Here is goes - Christyne wrote:

I'm glad you like the recipe. If you could just call it "Nanny's Shortbread" for the book that would be cool. My Nanny (mom's mom) made it when her kids were growing up, and I'm pretty sure my mom's Nanny made it for her kids and that is where my Nanny got the recipe. It may well even go further back than that, but I figure it is over 100 years old since 4 generations (that I know of) have made it.

The variations are just as yummy as the original. My personal fave is brown sugar/skor bits - ooooh yeah! Bring it on! LOL!

Hugs~
Christyne

P.S. I just re-read my recipe and it should say: Add flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. That makes more sense, than "add flour, mixing well after each addition." At least now you know how much each addition should be - teehee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappingMommyof3 View Post
I've been chatting with Barbara (via email) and she suggested I post this recipe to the thread. So, here you go!

Nanny's Shortbread

1 lb butter (yes, a whole pound)
1 c. icing/confectioners sugar
4 c. flour

Cream together butter and sugar. Add flour, mixing well after each addition. Then form into log shapes and roll in wax paper. Refrigerate until firm (I usually chill over night). When ready to bake, slice into 1/4" to 1/2" slices and bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 300 F for 20 minutes. These cookies should not brown, just be barely golden. Enjoy!

Variation: Use brown sugar instead of icing sugar; add Skor bits; add chocolate chips; add citrus zest.

Enjoy!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!