Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin' Space Redo: How to store SU??

Okay, how do all you marvelous stampers store your SU sets? I'm at a loss cuz i'm overrun with them!! I'm redoing my craft room and need some ideas...

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I am so space deprived that I had to go unmounted. That's how I dealt with it. It saved 600% on space.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JampsterStampsterView Post
I am so space deprived that I had to go unmounted. That's how I dealt with it. It saved 600% on space.
I can imagine...it's those darn cases that make them so bulky...how did you unmount them?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and peeled them off the blocks. It took a few weeks as I had so many.

I buy the static cling foam at beeswax.com, it's the cheapest.

I store them in albums. It opened up a new world for me.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

I UNmounted all my SU-about 200 sets more or less. Actually, I was afraid to keep counting! :rolleyes:
I took them all down to the bare rubber. Just pulled them off and got off any remaining glue by using 90% rubbing alcohol. Put the stamps in a pyrex dish with the alcohol to soak a few minutes, wore latex gloves (otherwise our fingers start to look like prunes) wet a paper towel with the alcohol and just rubbed the glue right off! Then I rinsed off the stamps with clear water ( be careful not to drop any stamps down the drain!) and dried them with paper towels. While the stamps dried completely, I got my zip lock baggies ready. I labeled a piece of paper with the name of the set and the number of pieces and then I stamped each image on the paper so I would be reminded of what the set was about. I put the stamps in the baggies with the paper. I bought those photo storage boxes they sell in Michael's and labeled them.
For example, one box is all autumn, Halloween and Thanksgiving. Another box is People, kids, gnomes, fairies. Everything boiled down to 11 boxes, all stored on 1 shelf!

By the way, the plastic boxes went into the recycling and unfortunately, I had to throw the wood out because I did not know what else to do with it. I felt guilty about that and that's another reason I buy unmounted now. I do not feel guilty about the tree part.:mrgreen:

My acrylic blocks have Tack N Peel on them so I just plop the rubber stamp on the block. Now I will only order UNMOUNTED stamps, so when my stamps arrive I am ready to go.

Obviously, this means I am not purchasing any more SU. But if I DO see a set I can not resist, I will pull it off the foam like all the rest. (Don't tell my demo! She'll faint!) LOL!

I am VERY HAPPY about having gone the UNmounted route. The extra storage space is fantastic, I stamp a lot more since I can find stuff now and I do not get disgusted about having to "HUNT" for the set. Believe me, before I unmounted, I had SU sets stashed all over the house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I still have my stamps in their clear cases. I like having them on wood. I bought a hand made bookshelf at an auction for 1.00 and repainted it to go with my room. I stood the boxes up on the end and have them on a shelf like you would do with books. They are labeled facing out, so I can see which is which. It takes up MUCH less space to store them now, than when I had them stored flat in a different shelf unit. I have a whole 'nother shelf to fill!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I am unmounting some stamps by preference but still love both - wood and acrylic. I store my SU boxes in a drawer unit - craftsman unit with deep drawers- they sit on their side with labels up (made mine with address labels on the computer) - I was always afraid to store them on top of each other in case the rubber would smash down from the weight. Before my drawer unit, I had used book shelves and stored them like books .... also have used clear storage boxes (larger ones) and stored them when I wasn't doing much stamping and could put the ones I wasn't using out of sight. Good luck finding what will work for you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I keep mine in their plastic cases and store mine on bookshelves, on their sides, in alphabetical order. Can you tell I'm a librarian?

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Default My stamps

I have a cabinet where I store all my SU stamps. They are turned on their sides (so I can see the label) in alphabetical order. I have a pretty good memory of what is in each stamp set so I don't have an index binder, but I know of a lot of people who put together an image binder. Stamp each of the images from a stamp set on a piece of printer paper. Sort them in the binder in a way that makes sense for you.

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also unmounted all of my Stampin Up sets because of space. I had been storing mine stacked and sorted by size because I didn't have enough shelves to store them like books. This was a pain because of course I always needed the one on the bottom and they seemed to fall over. Unlike some of the above posters, I just peeled foam and all off the blocks. I tried a number of options for using them and I like the Tack n Peel best. I still have a number of sheets of Ezmount and haven't decided if I will eventually use it or not. I love the unmounted option because of space and I can see where I'm stamping.

There are some pictures of the way I stored before unmounting and the way I store now in the following link.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I also store mine shelf system. I got it at Ikea. It is called the Gorm system. I can put shelves in wherever I need them. I have all my sets sorted by box size, and then alphabetical. I haven't quite finished organizing my craft room since our move, or I would post a picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, why have i never thought of storing them like books? When you unmount, them, though, do you mount them on some kind of cling foam? I'm kinda lost about that...is there a lot of "start up cost" so to speak, to do that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
I also unmounted all of my Stampin Up sets because of space. I had been storing mine stacked and sorted by size because I didn't have enough shelves to store them like books. This was a pain because of course I always needed the one on the bottom and they seemed to fall over. Unlike some of the above posters, I just peeled foam and all off the blocks. I tried a number of options for using them and I like the Tack n Peel best. I still have a number of sheets of Ezmount and haven't decided if I will eventually use it or not. I love the unmounted option because of space and I can see where I'm stamping.

There are some pictures of the way I stored before unmounting and the way I store now in the following link.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks for the pics, what a great system...that might be something i look into in the very near future...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_in_atlasView Post
Wow, why have i never thought of storing them like books? When you unmount, them, though, do you mount them on some kind of cling foam? I'm kinda lost about that...is there a lot of "start up cost" so to speak, to do that?
it is like the TAC stuff, you know where you can get that
if you need some, let me know, putting a order in after thanksgiving unless you need them this week..

the bookshelf is a great idea..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

We attached some c-shaped tin to the walls - like the stuff that is used in stud walls - and I pop all my sets on there. Saves lots of space.

stampsw.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
We attached some c-shaped tin to the walls - like the stuff that is used in stud walls - and I pop all my sets on there. Saves lots of space.

That looks AWESOME!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post

WOW. That is so cool, and would fit the pseudo-industrial theme that my craft room has...how creative!! Further proof you should never let a stamper loose in a Lowes or Home Depot...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have mine on a bookshelf too, one from Target, it's dark wood so it's pretty and functional. I store all my stamp pads there and some other supplies too. I like that they are in the open because 1 it keeps me neat (I have to put everything back b/c it's out for everyone to see and 2 it's all right at my fingertips next to my desk. I have all my sets stacked up and can see exactly what I want to get. Good luck!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_in_atlasView Post

I buy static cling foam here beeswax

It has a sticky side that you stick the rubber to and a static cling side that ckings to the block. I store mine in photo albums (the old kind with the "magic" pages) or in folders that zip shut.

Last edited by JampsterStampster; 11-16-2008 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: link didn't work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I store mine in a drawer system from IKEA according to box size. My smallest boxes get stored in one of those plastic bins you can find at any store to keep them better contained within the drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I unmounted all my stamps but left the foam on. Then I carefully peeled the label off the block and stuck to the foam, so that I have an image to look at when I stamp. I use Tack n Peel on my blocks ~ much less cost than putting EZ mount or cling vinyl on the stamps themselves (I have over 200 sets).

My unmounted stamps are stored in CD cases, which in turn I keep in CD holders mounted to the wall. I have holders that fit into a bag so that if I want to travel with my stamps, I simply pop the holder off the wall and into a bag.

Works for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Storing in CD cases...you need the "thick" cd cases, right? NOt the slimline ones?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Yes, definitely the regular (not the thin) cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

J managed a fabric shop sometime ago and was able to obtain at a VERY reasonable price 4 pattern file cabinets. I use two of them, 1 for stamp storage and the other for supplies. I have already filled up one cabinet and am fast filtering over in to my supply cabinet. I've given some thought to selling some of them, but am having a hard time letting go, so I guess reorganization is the order for the day.
Reply With Quote Likes