Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
craft fair frustration

I don't normally post, but I am so frustrated I could cry.

I am supposed to do a craft fair in two weeks. I was really excited and pumped up to go, and I had all these plans on what I wanted to make. But...I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, and I have an 18 month old running around, and my husband is a long-haul truck driver, so I NEVER get a break from my kids and I have no time to sit down and make my stuff. My baby just went to bed early tonight, so I thought I would keep working on a Christmas clipboard I've been making. I got almost all the way done, and stamped the lettering on with regular ink. I wanted to mod podge over it, so I thought I would protect the ink (keep it from running) by spraying acrylic sealer over it first. BIG MISTAKE. Now everything looks fuzzy and you can totally see the spots where the sealer did not take. It looks horrible. I just pondered over it for a while, and I don't think I can fix it. I even started coloring the letters in again with a black permanent marker to make them pop again, but then my marker stopped working. What a nightmare. I just don't know how I am going to get everything done. I just wanted to get my name out there and have some fun making beautiful things, but the truth is, I'm not having any fun right now.
I figured it's probably not just me that gets in over my head with things like this, but I just wanted to vent and I knew there are probably plenty of people on SCS that have been where I am.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

This probably isn't the best time for you to be doing a craft fair. Besides parenting 2 infants alone, you have what I call a hormone tornado going on inside! You need to rest and enjoy those kids - there will be other craft fairs. You could still make beautiful things but take the pressure off of yourself for now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Sorry!!! I was still in pjs 3 weeks after my DD was born. I am not kidding, I wore them 24-7 for about 4 weeks. I was doing nothing but child care. I admire you for trying to do all this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdriesenView Post
I just wanted to get my name out there and have some fun making beautiful things, but the truth is, I'm not having any fun right now.
If you're not having fun, don't do it. There is always next year.

With a new baby, wacky hormones, an 18 month old, and an absent husband, you have enough on your plate right now. Enjoy the time with your new baby and take it easy.

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Hang in there! It can be very frustrating when craft project go wrong. You are and amazing lady taking on so much with 2 little one and a husband is gone a lot.

Myself I stopped having class and stamp camps when the fun was gone. Now, I am back to scrapbooking and stamping on my terms and it is very enjoyable.

Last edited by the4dreamers; 11-13-2008 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #6  
Vintage Vixen

I feel for ya! I hate when I have a project almost done, and then it gets goobered up somehow.

Will you be out a lot of money (i.e., table/vendor fee) if you decided to not participate in this particular craft fair? For your own health and sanity, maybe you should consider postponing until a later time.

Or, make some changes in your plans and make only REALLY simple things that you could sell. Or make just 1 or 2 samples of a more complicated item, and take orders. Be forewarned, though, that with Christmas on the horizon people may want those items within just a couple of weeks, which may still be too soon for you.

I'm in a similar boat, but for a different reason. My parents are staying in a new RV park in Arizona this winter, and they have a craft fair every Wednesday. I'd like to send some stuff down for my mom to sell, but they have to be things (1) I can make quickly in the next week or 2 so that I can get them mailed down to her or (2) things I can make duplicates of quickly if she gets any orders.

But unlike you, I don't have 2 babies at home to worry about! So don't stress and don't beat yourself up if you have to drop out of this craft show. There will be others. But keep making stuff when you have a free minute (and are awake enough!) and maybe plan to do a craft show in the spring when you feel better prepared. Hang in there! {{HUGS}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I feel your frustration as I have two little ones at home too (3 & 4 yr old - 13 months apart) and have wanted to do a craft fair for awhile now. BUT I agree with babyboxermom...

I do have more time now than when they were younger, but can't craft until wee hours of the night after I've put them down for the night - just like tonight as a matter of fact. Organizing for a craft fair can take a lot of time and effort even if you are only making a limited amount of things to sell. I've had to talk myself out of it several times when I think about all of the preparation that is involved - yikes! You can plan on doing one next year if you pace yourself and do several projects at a time in the following months. Right now, you are basically on your kids schedule.

Like babyboxermom said, there will be other craft fairs...the most important thing right now is taking care of those little ones. Unfortunately, it will take some time before you can find a good time for crafting - I know it doesn't help that your DH is not around to help out much with the kiddos AND you just had a baby!

Make a few things at a time and try selling online (like on Etsy) so there is no pressure and you can take your time...this will also get your name out there as well. If you belong to a church, you could sell some of your items to other church members as well. Even if you get your name out there working at a craft fair and get bombarded with orders, you have to ask yourself - are you able to manage getting them done in a timely manner?

So get your rest and don't sweat the small stuff...cause the big stuff right now are your kiddos! Kids grow up too fast. I know it's hard to get rid of the stamping itch, but once you get one thing done like the clipboard project and doesn't go the way you planned - you know it's time to quit. At least that is what I do...*wink*

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowwhiteladyView Post
Sorry!!! I was still in pjs 3 weeks after my DD was born. I am not kidding, I wore them 24-7 for about 4 weeks. I was doing nothing but child care. I admire you for trying to do all this.
DITTO.....but add another 4 weeks on top of that too for me!!

Babies/Toddlers can sense frustration and anxiety. They will respond with more fussiness, neediness and tantrums. I have 4 children and believe me, they will key off of your frusration. Relax and they will relax!!!

HUG THEM, ENJOY THEM, LOVE THEM, and ROCK THEM all day long and I'll bet you'll have an hour in the evening to yourself for a little creativity.

I, too am getting ready for a craft fair this weekend. ALL of the kids have been sick ALL week......pink eye, colds, yeast infection, you name the bug, they have had it this week!! NOW I am getting a cold.

MY SOLUTION: whatever I have done by then is going to be FINE!! I have thousands of ideas in my head but they are just not all going to get done and that is JUST FINE!! THE KIDS COME FIRST THIS WEEK and if stamping is supposed to be my "fun time" then I must KEEP it "fun" and not stress about it!!

(((((HUGS)))))) to you.......breathe in, breathe out......I wish I lived closer, I'd be there in a heart beat!!

Last edited by squirrellyshirley; 11-13-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

((((((hugs))))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

You are incredible to even think about taking on such a challenge...and in the end, even craft fairs can be disappointing so I would be sick if you worked yourself to the death (I am mean your family demands are more than most of us have right now!!) and then on top of it, were sad with the results.

I worked for months before and then ended up barely selling a thing I had made. BUT, last minute I grabbed some tile coasters I had made up and took them to have as samples - to take orders!! That was where I made my money in the end and it saved the day.

So, if you can take one of kind items and take orders - then maybe you can still go but if it's too much, bow out and take some of the ideas above like ETSY, etc.

Hang in there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Honey, my heart is with you right now. I agree with all the other posts, this may not be the best time for you to be thinking about the Craft Fair. Yes, there will be other opportunties down the road and then you will have those hormones under control too. But, the most important things in your life right now are your children. Spend the time loving them and working on crafts as you can.....stockpile them until you are ready for the fairs.

The children will only be little once and when they get to be 19, like our son, you will cry because they are no longer little.

A suggestion for the clipboard....if it cannot be fixed....paint over it, or collage over it and start again. You have the creative ability to make it work. Just take a break from it and be with your children, thank DH for working so hard to make a better life for you all and, most importantly, be good to yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

You have already received great advice... take it! We are so hard on ourselves and we expect way too much from ourselves. As long as you aren't out lots of money for the booth (like hundreds), then I would not do the fair.
Don't forget, there is Thanksgiving and Christmas to prepare for! Pour your crafting heart into those holidays. Make nice gifts for your family, neighbors, friends, husband's co-worker's wives, church family and friends, and hand some items out as a Random Act of Kindness to a frazzled cashier... That will get your name and talents out to so many people! And since you know them, they will easily know how to order more handmade goodies from you
My kiddos are now 9,8, and 5. I did a couple of craft fairs a couple of years ago when they were even younger...whew, it was HARD and very little pay-out. I wish I had eased up on myself and just enjoyed the moment more.
Good luck, keep us posted. Congratulations on your growing family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I used to work full-time in a stressful, deadline oriented job and took night classes. While still working full-time,I attempted to take one class 4 months after my first child was born and it was a disaster. I ended up withdrawing because I was failing. My husband was no help because he worked full-time and was finishing his Master's degree on the side. It was a very frustrating time for me. My husband and I, who argue so rarely, were fighting. I felt like he still had "freedom" and I didn't. I felt like my life was turned upside down and his continued as it was before. Why did I have to change and give up when he didn't?

It's a tough situation you are in and I admire your drive and I understand your need to have something for yourself. My father was a truck driver who was gone for long stretches at a time and my mother literally did everything for us. I have no words of wisdom for you, just know that a stranger is thinking of you and hopes you'll find the balance you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel your frustration. I was going to do a craft faire this year (it has over 10,000 attendees so you have to make a lot of stuff). For some reason this year I just couldn't get into the swing. I felt guilty for doing anything that was related to making items to sell. I spent more time researching and shopping for supplies than making supplies.

I had invited my sister to participate and she was having the same problem. I kept telling her that she didn't have to do this, secretly hoping she would bow out. I knew she was making things and I didn't want to disappoint her.

After 3 weeks of asking her I finally told her I just didn't want to do it. She was happy because she didn't want to it either but didn't want to disappoint me. We laughed about this for a few days, because we were so commited to keeping our promise to each other and trying not hurt each others feelings, when in reality we were causing each other much stress over doing something we just didn't want to do.

I learned my lesson in that having goals are what keep me going, but if there is no harm done, I have the power to revamp my goals. No harm - no foul.

So quit beating yourself up! Creativity is at its best when you mind is free, your engery is up, and your heart and mind can soar. Let it go - spend what little time you have enjoying your life because this little blip (worry about the craft fair) will be a faded memory, where the memories you have with your little one will last a lifetime. Take care and give your self the option of letting it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

After 3 weeks I was still trying to stop crying! Don't be so hard on yourself. Get some sleep!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Even with kids that cooperate and a DH that is home, I find preparing for craft fairs to be terribly frustrating. It is no fun for me at all, and then nothing ever sells. I could be a no talent hack, but NOTHING sells, lol. I stopped doing them. Of course I have 2 formerly cooperative kids that no longer cooperate, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so sorry about the situation...I would love to send you some items (no cost to you..just as a random act of kindness) that you can sell at your booth. I can send some handmade cards with white envelopes all packaged and ready to go in clear envelopes and how about some card totes with cards in them for you to sell? I am happy to help you with some items so your table has something to sell. Anyone else???

Please pm your address to me and I will get a box out to you as quick as possible. What date is the sale?

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I will have a box of things for you out by Friday or Saturday and make sure to send it a way where you will have it in plenty of time. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That Amber is a peach. I just LOVE SCS!!!

Hugs to all of you

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh..thank you Cathy..you are pretty sweet your self. I made probably 3 dozen cards tonight...they are cute cute cute.....would be easy to keep them but they are going off to help OP. I want to try and make a few of the little totes and put cards in them for her too. Then next bunch will be with Basic Grey Eva...I pulled some pretty stuff out tonght...yummy.
blessings ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

thank you so much girls for all your support and kindness! and thank you so much, amber, for your generosity!! i did manage to get a few things done last night while the kids were sleeping, so i feel a little bit better about the situation now, and plus my husband comes home tonight (yay!) for a few days, so maybe i'll get a little time to myself! thanks again for all your kinds words!

Kayla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Craft Fair

Kayla,
Let us know how everything goes for you at the fair...we would love to hear how you do!!

Hugs,
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

thank you so much girls for all your support and kindness! and thank you so much, amber, for your generosity!! i did manage to get a few things done last night while the kids were sleeping, so i feel a little bit better about the situation now, and plus my husband comes home tonight (yay!) for a few days, so maybe i'll get a little time to myself! thanks again for all your kinds words!

Kayla
I hope you DO get some time to yourself, You need and deserve it.

I would never have dreamed of doing a craft faire when my kids were babies and my husband gone all the time. It's just too much.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Wait...did you say THREE DOZEN?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Oh..thank you Cathy..you are pretty sweet your self. I made probably 3 dozen cards tonight...they are cute cute cute.....would be easy to keep them but they are going off to help OP. I want to try and make a few of the little totes and put cards in them for her too. Then next bunch will be with Basic Grey Eva...I pulled some pretty stuff out tonght...yummy.
blessings ladies.

Cards? Three dozen cards in ONE night? Will you please come live with me? I need your energy and organizational skills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Kayla
Having a 19 month at home myself, I can understand! I work outside the home and by the time I get home, do the night time routine it's 8:30 and sometimes I'm just having dinner. Stamping during the week is mostly out for me either because I"m tired or in self-preservation because once I hit the craft room I enter some kind of time warp where I lose all sense of time and don't resurface until 2 or 3 a.m., which is not something I can do during the week and still perform my job well, kwim? So, my main stamping time is Friday and Saturday nights between 10 pm and 4 a.m. DH lets me sleep in late in the mornings after. So, like you I had wanted to do some craft shows this year. I did make some things and sold them at my Mom's booth but not nearly as many things as I'd like to do and my local garden club started having a craft fair table at the November meeting. No sense getting frustrated about it (so I tell myself) it is what it is. They're only this little once so enjoy it and you have the entire year to get ready for next year's craft fair. I've decided that's what I'm doing. Instead of waiting until October to start craft fair projects, I'm making card sets and other items and stashing them for the fair or I can use them for gifts along the way.

I'm sure you were just having a bad night with the disappointment over your clipboard but I hope you're feeling better! {hugs}.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

I have a stack of double pocket bags that I made up last year and had left over. I was going to take them to a craft fair this year and completely forgot them, so the stash went back into my craft cabinet. If you PM me with your address I can mail them out to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kayla...I have not gotten any little totes done but I do have about 75 cards done so far....even if you sell them cheap you should do well. Some of them are so cute I wanna keep em...but they are coming your way...because the really cute ones I made a couple dozen of. Some for you, some for troops and some for hubbys desk. I will keep working on stuff for you til Friday when I send off the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh..I am doing a mix of Christams and other events for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

thanks, amber! i really, really appreciate anything and everything you've done! you are so sweet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Kayla, You need afriend to craft with and one that help hold you together so you can craft. I wish you had your location listed. I so badly want to find out you are in my area, so I could bring a meal and play with your kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I know just how it is when things get on top of me. I have chronic health problems-a shopping list as I say, there's so many. I have my animals and many have health problems too and then some other 'strays' I care for and a neighbour I research and help with his war memories etc. Everyone asks me to do things and no one helps me ever. Goodness knows why-I'm sure I look desperate enough!:confused:

As a result I rarely have time to craft and so when I do the project has become HUGE in my head. I think in part I wonder if I really have the time and energy to craft at all and I see all the cards in the gallery and blogs etc and just become overwhelmed and feel such disappointment that my efforts aren't as I hope and need them to be.:(

The truth is, cliched as it sounds, that what you have already created, in your children is way more than I could ever achieve. You are trying to wear so many hats at once which is hard supported, nigh on impossible as a solo effort! Have you any idea how amazing you are to even contemplate such a thing as to do this with a teeny baby and another bit bigger baby!? That you have and are is a sign of incredible strength and determination to be you as well as a wife and mummy.

Things go wrong when crafting for all of us, some can be saved, some can't and it's often devastating. For you though, due to lack of time and pressure, little things become big, bigger things become massive etc! Just breathe slowly in and out a bit, get a drink (not that sort!) and then have another look or move on to something else and take a look at 'ruined' one tomorrow.

Take care of you too though-don't burn out. We all want to do so much but sometimes right now isn't the time and I promise you, when you 'get your name out there' the world will be glad enough and won't mind too much if it's tomorrow or in a couple of months time as you're worth the wait.

If you don't enjoy it why do it? You'll create better stuff when you're happier so don't try to build Rome in a day-get your foundations built, then move up with a secure footing. I wish you well-your children have an incredible mother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kayla..how goes it for you today?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

i'm not doing too bad, amber! my kids just both laid down (what a miracle) for a nap at the same time, so i'm going to get busy in my stamp room! it's cold and windy here, so it's a perfect day to get something done inside! how about you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Deep breath, tall glass of water and a nutritious meal, deep breath, tall glass of water and a nap, deep breath, snuggle on the couch with your feet up and your baby in your arms, deep breath... Get my drift New Mommy? Let me tell you like a sister would: Are you nuts!!?? Now, deep breath, glass of water, play blocks with your toddler, deep breath...

If you do this craft fair, you will probably hate the next two weeks of your life, and you don't need that right now. You need to take a deep breath... The errands and work and creative process for this craft fair will take twice as long as it normally would because you will be suffering from birth recovery symptoms, sleep deprivation, and the drain of mental and physical energy from tending to two babies around the clock with no relief. It sounds really awful, and possibly even bordering on dangerous. You need your energy for yourself and your babies.

Take your time and work slowly whenever you feel up to it, getting ready gradually for a spring craft fair. By then, you'll be in a groove with the babies and recovered and you'll have most of your brain back. It will be so much more fun to do it over two or three months than two or three weeks.

Perhaps someone will take a few finished items to the fair for you with to show a sampling of your stuff and maybe even sell it for you.

I'm doing my first craft fair this weekend. I decided to do it with only about 10 days to prepare. BUT, my kids are in grades 5 and 2, and I'm reasonably well rested.

Take a deep breath, take a nap when the babies nap, have a glass of water... Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Hi Kayla,

Looks like you have been able to get a grasp on this. Despite your initial frustration, I wanted to congratulate you on your newest addition! :-D I understand the need of having your own thing to do and I admire you for trying to make it work. Good luck with everything!

Blessings!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am glad you are feeling better Kayla...I am making Christmas cards for you...what else would I be doing.....ok ok..I did place an order with Flourishes for some JustRite Stampers. I have been wanting some and these are my first.....I just placed the order this morning and by lunch I had a shipping notice...how about that for service...? Probably wont get them in time to use on any cards for you though...I think you will be pleased with what shows up at your house though. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Wednesday Kayla...I have about 100 cards done for you so far...I will still be making a few tonight and tomorrow and send the priority box off to you on Friday. I hope you like them. They should make you a few $$$ even at just a buck or two apiece. I think you will be well pleased... Then I am back at cards for the troops box...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

I will be pleased with anything, Amber! I decided that because everyone was so kind, and especially because of your and Jenn D's generosity, I'll be keeping a closer watch on SCS for people in need and after this craft fair nightmare is over, I'll pay it forward to other stampers who need help!
I just finished assembling a bunch of milk carton boxes this afternoon- I just need to embellish and fill them and then they are done! That's one more thing to check off my list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..I am off to bed. I just made some really cute cards with Basic Grey Ambrosia...I love that stuff...Not sure what I will make tomorrow night..Either christmas or some more Basic Grey..maybe break out the Basic Grey Wassil...I have a lot of it...My lovely friend gets it wholesale...That does sound like a lovely idea...Wassil it is...lol. I am over 100 cards for you now. They are all nicely packaged in clear envelopes with a white envelope for mailing. What is stamped on the inside is on a post it inside the back of the clear envelope. You are bound to make a few $$$$$. Ok..I am off to bed now. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bumping in the event anyone else can help Kayla.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes