Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamsol

I have been unsuccessful in using gamsol and Prisma color pencils. I can't get the pencil color to move/blend on paper with the blending stumps. Do I need a special paper?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

You didn't mention what paper you're using, but I find it works best with a coated paper (like SU! Whisper White). If the paper isn't coated then them gamsol is busy wetting the paper instead of moving color.

GinaK is going to be coming out with a paper perfect for gamsol. I was fortunate enough to try it on the cruise and am IN LOVE with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Georgia Pacific #110 paper from WalMart & the #110 cardstock from Staples for the Gamsol technique. (I am trying to just use up the WalMart white cardstock because it has a grayish tint. The Staples white is brighter.) I find that I have better sucess using the 'Koh-I-Noor Woodless Colour Pencils' than the Prisma pencils. (GinaK did a comparison and wrote of her experience with the 2 brands.) The color is brighter. I have found that the Gamsol technique works fine on either the WalMart or Staples cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

No, I have not met you before. Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with the paper advise above and you need to lay down enough color (i.e., wax) so the gamsol can move it. some say color lightly, but I put down a heavy line and get great results. If I want a light effect I use a lighter color pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

IT does work well on SU whisper white but yes--Gina K is releasing some cs on thursday and.......well, all I can say is that it is FABULOUS with copics AND prismas/gamsol techniques....oopsie--dont know if I can even say that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I agree with the paper usage, but also the stumps that you are using are they made in China or Taiwan? I find that the stumps from Taiwan work alot better then the ones from China. Which kind of Prisma do you have, priemer, or one of the other kind (sorry brain went blank), there is a difference in the pencils as well. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Welcome to SCS!!!
I'm assuming you've double checked that you did indeed buy colored pencils instead of Prisma Watercolor pencils. ;) Please don't be offended, I'd never question your intelligence. I plead guilty to picking up the wrong product when pinched for time. It kinda brings a big ole black cloud over my whole week especially when self is mad at self and another trip to the same store is necessitated by same self. <sigh>
Are you using enough OMS and frequent enough? That was my main hindrance on my learning curve. You don't have to dip the stump very long at all, but it does dissipate quickly. You can feel when it starts drying. Try a quick dip more frequently to see if that helps.
Watch Gina K's video. It is kinda short but really good.
I use Georgia Pacific cardstock from Sams/Wal-Mart with great results. It is nice stuff for my stampin' needs. Oh, theres some fantabulous paper out there, but I'm on a very tight, restricted stampin' budget and I don't do any really formal creations that requires hoity toity paper. I confess that I do love to touch and feel the eye candy tho!!
Good luck and may God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I agree with the paper usage, but also the stumps that you are using are they made in China or Taiwan? I find that the stumps from Taiwan work alot better then the ones from China. Which kind of Prisma do you have, priemer, or one of the other kind (sorry brain went blank), there is a difference in the pencils as well. HTH.
Oh, yes, yes, yes!!! I agree with you about the stumps.The stumps from Taiwan are GREAT! And I'm having a hard time finding more. Any suggestions for sources?

The stumps from CHINA really stink!

I use either SU Whisper White, Neenah White or Papertrey White cardstock and love them all with gamsol.

Whoopeeeeeee! Gina K has a new cardstock! I won't say a word! LOL! Shhhhh!!!!! Can't wait for Thursday! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I'm with you, and I AM using the stumps from Taiwan, SU! Whisper White, and regular Prismacolor pencils (NOT watercolor)...this combination works better than others, but I still do not get much blending or moving around of the colors.
I just try to color it how I want it to look and use the Gamsol to "fix" it, make the color look more saturated. I don't try to really do any blending.
I don't know how others do it! But then again, I was at Archiver's today and did a "simple" make & take and succeeded in messing THAT up. I am just "craft challenged" LOL

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with those who are having trouble moving the color with Gamsol. I have tried the goo-gone and that didn't move the color so I figured the Gamsol would work. Wrong! It worked about the same as the goo-gone, not much movement of color. I do have the stumps from Taiwan and I have the Prismacolor pencils (not watercolor pencils) and I have been using SU cardstock. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The color just smudges a little but certainly doesn't "move" too far . Am I putting too little pencil down? I've checked out the tutorials and on those the color just spreads out and blends so nicely. Not when I do it. I am a klutz and maybe I'm just "Gamsol challenged" LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Ladies, I can't stress the importance of laying down enough color. The entire reason gamsol or oderless mineral spirits works is because it melts the wax in the pencil.

I've tried the other methods (baby oil, lamp oil, goo-b-gone, etc.) and I still believe that Gamsol or OMS is the best.

Another thing is that I find that if my stump is too coated with wax I start loosing the movement of the wax. Every so often, I sand my stump with fine grit sandpaper to get rid of the extra wax build-up. Some stampers say they don't sand, but for me I get better blending properties.

Maybe gamsol won't be your fav, not everyone is great at every technique and you won't always become an expert on something new until after you practice. For me, I may see a wonderful card or new technique and think, "I can do that". Well, sometimes it takes several tries to get it and sometimes it just never comes together. But, I think that if you use smooth paper, get the stump soaked (not dripping) with OMS, lay down plenty of color, and don't try to blend colors that make mud (yellow next to purple), you'll be an expert in no time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 AM   #13  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like Papertrey Stamper's Select for Gamsol and Prismacolor Pencils, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Ladies, I can't stress the importance of laying down enough color. The entire reason gamsol or oderless mineral spirits works is because it melts the wax in the pencil.
I have to agree with this. I tried this technique for the first time on the cruise and couldn't get it to work at first. Then, in Stampingbella's class, Nicky showed us samples of HOW MUCH COLOR she put on the image before blending! The difference is amazing!

AND I can't wait until Thursday to get some of Gina K's new paper! It is soooo smoooooooth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=kitty14;11997079]Oh, yes, yes, yes!!! I agree with you about the stumps.The stumps from Taiwan are GREAT! And I'm having a hard time finding more. Any suggestions for sources?

I ordered my stumps from StampinBella. Here is a link to there site.

http://www.stampingbella.com/advance...e06520b78f5321
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

This post couldn't have come at a better time. I just bought my first set of Prismacolor Premier pencils this weekend. I ordered Gamsol from Inky Antics but I haven't received it yet. Soooo...me being as impatient as I am, I had read a post on here about using Goo gone so I couldn't wait any longer to play with my new pencils. It worked perfectly for me. BUT I had forgotten to buy blending stumps so I used a Q-tip. No problems. The color spread great. I also used the Whisper White SU! cs. I can't believe I waited this long to try these pencils out! I LOVE them! I really can't see me switching back to the watercoloring technique anytime soon. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
Welcome to SCS!!!
I'm assuming you've double checked that you did indeed buy colored pencils instead of Prisma Watercolor pencils. ;) Please don't be offended, I'd never question your intelligence. I plead guilty to picking up the wrong product when pinched for time. It kinda brings a big ole black cloud over my whole week especially when self is mad at self and another trip to the same store is necessitated by same self. <sigh>
Are you using enough OMS and frequent enough? That was my main hindrance on my learning curve. You don't have to dip the stump very long at all, but it does dissipate quickly. You can feel when it starts drying. Try a quick dip more frequently to see if that helps.
Watch Gina K's video. It is kinda short but really good.I use Georgia Pacific cardstock from Sams/Wal-Mart with great results. It is nice stuff for my stampin' needs. Oh, theres some fantabulous paper out there, but I'm on a very tight, restricted stampin' budget and I don't do any really formal creations that requires hoity toity paper. I confess that I do love to touch and feel the eye candy tho!!
Does anyone know anything about the container that Gina K had her OSM in on the video? It looked neat, but I couldn't find anything about it on Gina's website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I find it often is a matter of not having your stump wet enough. Play around on a scrap sheet of paper with how much Gamsol/OMS you use until you find the right amount for you!

I prefer GP 100lb white CS from WalMart or Neenah Classic Crest Solar White.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAngelView Post
Does anyone know anything about the container that Gina K had her OSM in on the video? It looked neat, but I couldn't find anything about it on Gina's website.
These? I have the pink one and LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
Welcome to SCS!!!
Watch Gina K's video. It is kinda short but really good.
I use Georgia Pacific cardstock from Sams/Wal-Mart with great results. It is nice stuff for my stampin' needs. Oh, theres some fantabulous paper out there, but I'm on a very tight, restricted stampin' budget and I don't do any really formal creations that requires hoity toity paper. I confess that I do love to touch and feel the eye candy tho!!
This was my first thought also...you might have purchased watercolor pencils by mistake. Watercolor pencils won't work. I've tried gamsol with all kinds of pencils..crayola, roseart, prisma, kohrinoor, dewert, etc and on most types of paper. I've also used the china/taiwan stumps. Never had any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by The MFT LadyView Post
These? I have the pink one and LOVE it!
Thanks! It's a little pricey--maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

" I have used the Georgia Pacific #110 paper from WalMart "

That's what I use also. In fact I just bought 2 more packages this weekend. I also treated myself to the 72 collection set of Prismacolor pencils using 50% off coupon from Michaels. Now I have to sharpen 72 pencils. But the color lays down smooth and creamy, and blends perfectly.

The Georgia Pacific Walmart cardstock is about $5 a package with 150 sheets per pack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAngelView Post
Thanks! It's a little pricey--maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list.
Those are too cool, but I can't justify the price. I found some plastic ones - they are used to store nail polish remover and the price is only $5.95. I found glass ones used for storing flux (soldering) but they were in the $15 - 17 range. Here is the link for the plastic ones.

http://yhst-30192174909418.stores.ya...z-pldssp4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Those are too cool, but I can't justify the price. I found some plastic ones - they are used to store nail polish remover and the price is only $5.95. I found glass ones used for storing flux (soldering) but they were in the $15 - 17 range. Here is the link for the plastic ones.

http://yhst-30192174909418.stores.ya...z-pldssp4.html

Thanks--I'll see what I can find at the beauty supply store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

You can get small glass jars at Michael's, for less than 5 bucks...at my M. they are in a locked case near the art supplies. I put a cut piece of yellow sponge in the bottom, and enough gamsol to wet it. Then just dip your tortillion tip onto the sponge. It works great! I believe I read this tip on Anna Wight's blog a long time ago. Hope this helps someone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I agree about the stumps, I get mine from a local art supply shop. When I run out I use Q-tips, they work wonderful, and I use Georgia Pacific cardstock 90 percent of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

i use cheap old walmart cardstock, and works fine for me.. but I can't use the stumps, for some reason they just dont' work for me, I have much better luck with cheap q-tips. NOt the original Q-tip brand, just the cheap ones at dollar tree, they are less cottony and seem to work the best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I use the blending stumps, prisma pencils, and baby oil on SU cardstock. Haven't had any problems! It's my favorite coloring technique. I do lay down a thick line of color and blend light to dark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinobompView Post
You can get small glass jars at Michael's, for less than 5 bucks...at my M. they are in a locked case near the art supplies. I put a cut piece of yellow sponge in the bottom, and enough gamsol to wet it. Then just dip your tortillion tip onto the sponge. It works great! I believe I read this tip on Anna Wight's blog a long time ago. Hope this helps someone!
Yup, sure was!!
Here's a link to my gamsol tips page, with pics.
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sa...color_pen
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

what video? anyone got the link?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinobompView Post
I just use a clear glass drink cup out of my cupboard with the sponge and a small amount of the OMS, I keep it up on a shelf with a piece of cardstock over it when I am not using it so no little bugs or things get into it. I looked at the bottles that Gina has in her store and I couldn't bring myself to paying that much, sorry Gina. I would suggest using glass instead of plastic though because on the bottle it does indicate that it can eat through cheap plastic, at least that's what is says on the bottle I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

InkyAntics sells the Taiwan stumps. Hope this helps. Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
IT does work well on SU whisper white but yes--Gina K is releasing some cs on thursday and.......well, all I can say is that it is FABULOUS with copics AND prismas/gamsol techniques....oopsie--dont know if I can even say that.
I heard that.....can't wait to see what's up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninajeanette2View Post
what video? anyone got the link?
Hay Sweetie! For Gina K's video, scroll back up to my post.. #8.. and click on the word video that is in bold print. May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes