Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice

I have to sell all my stampin up stamps and ink pads - trying to raise money for Christmas. Where is the best place to sell it? I really dont want to try ebay i wont pay their fees. I dont even how much to ask.

Please help. :(

melissa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

You can check out the Buy/Sell/Trade forum:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I'm sorry you are having to sell some of your supplies. :( Unfortunately, only retired SU products can be sold outright on the SCS Buy/Sell/Trad forums. Anything current can only be traded.

To get an idea of how to bundle and price your items, cruise eBay and see how much similar items have gone for (don't forget shipping!) and what combinations (ie sets of colour families) are popular. I see you have a blog; many bloggers list items they're selling from their crafting stashes on their blogs, but I can't say if that is the best option for you or not.

Good luck, and I hope you sell everything for a good price all in one go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
I have to sell all my stampin up stamps and ink pads - trying to raise money for Christmas. Where is the best place to sell it? I really dont want to try ebay i wont pay their fees. I dont even how much to ask.

Please help. :(

melissa
I agree with you in not wanting to pay ebay's fees and personally I have found that items on ebay are not selling like they used to. I've tried selling and trading here on splitcoast, but I haven't had much luck with that either.

A friend of mine had a yard sale (although this may not be the best time of year for a yard sale). She put an ad in her local paper and she ended up selling tons of stamps and stampin related goodies. She didn't have to deal with packaging and post office trips or related selling fees (other that the cost of the ad).

Just another thought I had- my local newspaper will publish an ad for all merchandise under $300 for free. Do your newspapers have an option like this? If someone local buys your items then you won't have to pack them up and ship them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Craigslist is pretty popular around here....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

You could try Craigslist or Etsy has a place for "supplies."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are so many people selling things because of finances that it has brought prices down. It might be a good time to sell some sets that are still considered rare either on here or Ebay. You also need to be patient. If it doesn't sell this week, it might next week.

You might also want to consider selling some things in a group on Ebay and using their feature that puts it at the top of the page. It costs $9.95 and it does bring a lot more attention to your item. It will also draw more people to other items that you have listed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Sorry to hear about having to give up your stamping supplies. "Kijiji" is a great place to sell almost anything. There is no cost to place an ad. I have purchased many used sets from Kijiji. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

another vote for craigslist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I've wondered about the yard sale idea myself. I've heard of some people doing it, but haven't found any info regarding how much they actually sold sets for - because if people that come are thinking they are getting "garage sale" prices, then I'd rather not do it.

Anyone have experience with yard sale/Crafters sales at their home, and if so, how much did you mark your sets down, did they sell, and did you have problems with people wanting to pay little for them?

To the OP, I hope you find some good answers - I'd also give the craigslist a try too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My experience is that craft supplies sell for rock bottom prices at garage sales. However, my upline has craft garage sale and in one Sat she and demos make about $3,000. Perhaps you should have a craft garage sale and adverstise it as so. I always thought it would be a good idea to organize a crafter's garage sell at our community center. It would be open to all crafers, rent tables and let them sell their stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
I'm sorry you are having to sell some of your supplies. :( Unfortunately, only retired SU products can be sold outright on the SCS Buy/Sell/Trad forums. Anything current can only be traded.

To get an idea of how to bundle and price your items, cruise eBay and see how much similar items have gone for (don't forget shipping!) and what combinations (ie sets of colour families) are popular. I see you have a blog; many bloggers list items they're selling from their crafting stashes on their blogs, but I can't say if that is the best option for you or not.

Good luck, and I hope you sell everything for a good price all in one go!
Am I wrong? I thought it was only SU! demonstrators that couldn't sell current stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindstamperView Post
Am I wrong? I thought it was only SU! demonstrators that couldn't sell current stamp sets.
I'm pretty sure that the rule applies to everyone,demo or not, doesn't it?

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabushView Post
I'm pretty sure that the rule applies to everyone,demo or not, doesn't it?

Nancy
On SCS, that rule does indeed apply to EVERYONE -- a couple of years ago the mods got sick of policing who was a demo and who wasn't. So, while non-demos can sell current items on eBay or at yard sales, flea markets, craft shows, etc., no one can do it here.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindstamperView Post
It's a blanket rule on this website -- no current SU! for sale at all. Sorry! :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

The quickest and easiest way to sell them would be to advertise on Craig's list for your area and also in your local newspaper if they have a space for free adds.

The Craig's list site is: http://www.craigslist.org

Make sure to list that they are Stampin' Up sets and ink pads.
Also say "cash only" sales so you don't have to worry about getting bad checks etc.
As both places are free, I would start out asking full price for them. Buyers save the tax and shipping cost. Then the next week I would mark them down 25% if you have any left. You might then put them on your blog, where you will have to deal with shipping and payment though the mail. Ask for money orders.
Be safe and make sure you are not home alone when someone comes to look at them or meet them at a public area.

I've seen sets on Craig's list for my area and they are sold fast. Can't get to them before they are gone!

Good Luck and hope you have a nice Christmas!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #17  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I take mine to a local consignment store. I put on there what I want for a price and she adds her commission on top of that. It has worked out very well too
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done this at my home twice.

The last time was a few weeks ago. I did not advertise on craigslist, etc. because I was uncomfortable having large amounts of folks in my house. I would have if I was planning on putting the stuff out on my driveway.

Instead I advertised on my blog and on the Gingerwood site and sent emails to some crafters who live in Northern VA.

I had to cancel the sale a couple of days before due to a death in the family. I had all my stuff in the Dining Room, in boxes with no prices. Just 9 bins packed with stuff!

5 people who did not get the work on the cancellation showed up and I took in over $500. I sold a lot of magazines (Cards for $5 each), gave away a bunch of old SU and other catalogs. Sold Papercraft and similar magazines for a $1.

Since I hadn't priced anything yet, I ended up selling my SU sets for 5, 10 or 15 depending on the size. I think if I hadn't been in such a tizzy, I would have set the prices a bit higher.

I found that SU was the most popular stuff.

I think I was pretty generous in my pricing, meaning that folks got a pretty good deal.

If anyone decides to do this -- make sure you advertise cash only and be prepared when folks want to pay by check.

have a lot of bags ready for your buyers to take the stuff away.

have small bills and change ready so you can make change.

It helps to have some space where folks can put the stuff they want on hold.

I still have a ton of stuff left but I think I will sell it off a little at a time.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll put my 2 cents in about selling on Craigs List. You have to make arrangements for taking the items to people or meet them somewhere that may or may not be all he convenient for you. Do you want to drive to what may be places unfamiliar to you to meet a stranger?

Having strangers come to your home to look at the items and make a decision, can also be a pain. They may decide they don't want the items and you've wasted your time but opened your home to strangers.

Unless your stuff goes in the first 1-3 days if listed on Craigs List, most people don't go any further than a few days looking for stuff. You would have to be creating a new listing every few days.

Just because it's Stampin' Up stuff doesn't really mean all that much. Yes, it's a name, but not everyone does know that name and associate it with quality.

I've tried to sell things on Craigs List and have gotten people contacting me but want to call their own price regardless of the price I have listed. Selling on Craigs List is usually for a lesser price than you would get elsewhere.

I don't know the person in Post #1 reason for wanting to sell for Christmas gifts, but seems to me selling craft items for that reason would be difficult.

Just my 2 cents.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

ok guys thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I sold several of my sets at a fundraiser garage sale for a nephew struggling with brain cancer (and the sale was advertised this way, he was well known around town, too.) I got rock bottom prices for them, unfortunately. I don't know the best way to sell them, but I don't suggest garage sales! I even advertised them in the ad, but that didn't help at all. Maybe it is just my community, though!

Our newspaper also allows free ads for 1 week for things that are under $100 in price. Maybe you could try that and put them into $100 lots. Make sure you advertise the brand name of the stamps and ink pads to get the customers who are most interested in them. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes