Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you find that you spend much more....

time reading about stamping than actually stamping? I've been in a terrible rut lately after finishing some little wedding projects. I know I need to start my Christmas cards, but I just don't have the get up and go - I think it's got up and gone! I'm thinking I need to gather up my Christmas stamping stuff and put it a basket to get me in the mood. Last year, I had my daughter's wedding on December 22nd and STILL found time to hand paint 80 penguin cards. Ugh! I don't ever want to see that penguin!

Jutta
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Unfortunately - YES! that is my husband's biggest complaint! And I don't know why that is either, because I LOVE to stamp!

On here, Sully had a siggie that said something like "I have no time to stamp because I spend too much time on SCS reading about stamping..." LOL

I need to spend more time putting more of the incredible inspiration gained here into practice!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Hmmm.....sometimes. I find that the more I read blogs and SCS the more I spend. I do try my best to balance between the two. If I am able to post a new project daily on my blog I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jutta,

Boy have you hit the nail on the head. I spend most of my time doing the following;

Surfing the net for awesome sheets of stamps (rubber unmounted)

Trolling through the Joann website - because I belong to the Free Shippers Club - and so I have to buy as much as I can possibly afford

Rearranging my stamping space

Reorganizing my stamps

Playing with different techniques (brayer, watercolor pencils, gamsol, wet embossing, dry embossing.......)

Ordering books from the library and flipping through them

Well, you get the gist of it.........then when I actually have to MAKE A CARD, I am paralyzed with indecision about the stamp, design, placement,.....
by then I'm pissed off and stressed at having to meet a deadline.

This happens to me alot in my sewing room too - so I'm not surprised. Disgusted with myself,....but not surprised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I think stamping is like anything else - sometimes you just need to give yourself a little break from it so that you can come back fresh. I think the break probably needs to include galleries and blogs though if you can possibly tear yourself away! Or sometimes just giving yourself permission to play with tools and techniques without the pressure to actually produce a card or other project is enough just to free up some creativity - you make a cool background or do something new with a stamp because you have the attitude that it doesn't really matter what happens and then you think "Ah ha! I could adapt that to make a card for Mom" or whatever.

Remember it's a hobby and it's fun and don't pressure yourself, you'll be back at it in no time

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree!

I spend more time shopping for stuff and organizing it than stamping!!

I look at it like one of the best kinds of collecting...how many other collections are so USEFUL?? It's not a pile of figurines collecting dust that you just look at. It's a pile of crafting stuff collecting dust that you can mke incredible things out of, while giving yourself something relaxing to do at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Umm...I read a lot about stamping and I google a lot about stamping and I buy a lot for stamping..but my stamping time is minimal. BUT....I figured out why!!! When my 2 other stamping buddies get together, we get many things done and are much more creative. When I'm alone, there is no one to show my creations to (DH, DS and DD don't get as excited as I'd like). So..my trick is to have a stamp night at one of our houses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree. Right now I'm surfing blogs and commenting on this thread when I should be working out followed by scrapping/stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I think stamping is like anything else - sometimes you just need to give yourself a little break from it so that you can come back fresh. I think the break probably needs to include galleries and blogs though if you can possibly tear yourself away! Or sometimes just giving yourself permission to play with tools and techniques without the pressure to actually produce a card or other project is enough just to free up some creativity - you make a cool background or do something new with a stamp because you have the attitude that it doesn't really matter what happens and then you think "Ah ha! I could adapt that to make a card for Mom" or whatever.

Remember it's a hobby and it's fun and don't pressure yourself, you'll be back at it in no time
What she said.

I also find myself reading lots of magazines because I spend so much time in waiting rooms, away from my craft room. My days are broken up in a very awkward schedule right now that keeps me out of the house. Reading mags and craft books helps me connect with my hobby, even though I'm not in my craft room. Ah, there will be much joy and productivity next school year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Reading about stamping and looking at other people's creations are nearly as fun as making my own! I love to see what other people do. And that always inspires me, also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
time reading about stamping than actually stamping? I've been in a terrible rut lately after finishing some little wedding projects. I know I need to start my Christmas cards, but I just don't have the get up and go - I think it's got up and gone! I'm thinking I need to gather up my Christmas stamping stuff and put it a basket to get me in the mood. Last year, I had my daughter's wedding on December 22nd and STILL found time to hand paint 80 penguin cards. Ugh! I don't ever want to see that penguin!

Jutta
I couldn't agree more with ya. I have all my stamps (about 80 sets) in a container in my closet and all my stamp stuff is about as organized as I can manage with how small of a space I have to work with and I just don't stamp.

I've been in a rut a while. I used to stamp cards ALL THE TIME, but it's been months since I've done it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

So far I've come up the verse for my Christmas cards this year, but can't decide on a design to go with them. And my craft stuff is out here in living room with me, and I still don't get anything done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

One thing I am doing to get out of my stamping rut is that I am making at least one card from every set I own in alphabetical order. If I can't come up with anything, or dislike what I've done, I am considering getting rid of the stamp set. Sometimes having too much stuff is overwhelming. I find that is the case when I need to clean my house, too, and when it's really messy I don't know where to start.

That being said, I sailed right through stamp sets A, B, and C. Now, I'm looking at the background stamp Dots and Checks and am stumped. Since I use DP so much now, I can't think of any inspiring ideas to use this background stamp. There aren't even any in the gallery to give me a little nudge. I guess that means I should sell this stamp. Any idea how much I could get for it on ebay?

Anyway, I think all of you ladies have had some great suggestions. Good luck getting your stamping mojo back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

By the way, check out the thread entitled send a card, receive a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by rj77View Post
Reading about stamping and looking at other people's creations are nearly as fun as making my own! I love to see what other people do. And that always inspires me, also!
Yep! I agree. I do spend quite a bit of time on the net and in this forum but, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love to be inspired and also appreciate others work. It's like being at a fine art gallery to me. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I spend more time looking lately than creating. I always seem to get interrupted while making a card and sometimes it's really hard to getting around to finishing what I started. I love to see other ladies work- can't get enough of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default ATC Swaps Helped Me to Get Creating Again

I've recently started making ATC cards. Not sure why, but ATCs never really interested me.........until now LOL and let me tell you, and I'm hooked on these! I've just finished my 1st 2 ATC swaps, have 2 more due by early Dec, and signed up for a Jan and Feb ATC swap.

This turned out to be what I needed to get creating again. The occasional card aside, I have not been making anything for way too long.

I hope that you can find that something that you need to help you get motivated and creating again. I'm so happy now that I have found an outlet for my creativity that gives me a feeling of satisfaction and a sense of purpose. And I really enjoy the challenge of creating for a specific theme. I have a lot of fun going through all of my stuff to find just the right thing

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I've recently started making ATC cards. Not sure why, but ATCs never really interested me.........until now LOL and let me tell you, and I'm hooked on these! I've just finished my 1st 2 ATC swaps, have 2 more due by early Dec, and signed up for a Jan and Feb ATC swap.

This turned out to be what I needed to get creating again. The occasional card aside, I have not been making anything for way too long.

I hope that you can find that something that you need to help you get motivated and creating again. I'm so happy now that I have found an outlet for my creativity that gives me a feeling of satisfaction and a sense of purpose. And I really enjoy the challenge of creating for a specific theme. I have a lot of fun going through all of my stuff to find just the right thing

Good luck!
Someone educate me - what does ATC stand for? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Lately, YES! If I stamped as much as I looked and shopped for stamping stuff I would be buried under cards. lol It is so hard to pull myself away from the computer. There is always one more place to go or one more thing to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Someone educate me - what does ATC stand for? Thanks!
Artist Trading Card, I believe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by primpainterView Post
Lately, YES! If I stamped as much as I looked and shopped for stamping stuff I would be buried under cards. lol It is so hard to pull myself away from the computer. There is always one more place to go or one more thing to see.
Who needs sleep anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #22  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Here you go.....more than you EVER wanted to know about ATCs (Artist Trading Cards).........

Artist Trading Cards are individual art miniatures which pass hand to hand. Some sources have credited M. V�n�i Stirnemann, who began trading sessions in Zurich, Switzerland, in 1997, as popularizing ATCs in the modern era, although modern ATC's can be traced back to portrait miniatures and to a kind of business card popular with Impressionistic era artists.[1]

Artists have produced miniatures for trade or self-promotion in many eras and places, and the current trend is thus part of this larger context. Historically there were few standard rules or guidelines to art trading cards, and many variances in sizes can be seen in older cards. The standardization in size of baseball cards is credited with creating the standardization in size for art cards. Today the only rule for these cards is their 2.5 by 3.5 inch size (64 x 89 mm), same as baseball cards and collectible card games. There are, however, certain conventions usually observed by those who make and trade these cards, such as the expectation that they be traded, not sold, and that they be created as unique works or small limited editions of prints. Artists generally sign and date the back, and may also include a title and contact information. For many, the face-to-face trading session is considered an integral part of the concept, although others find each other via the internet and trade by mail.

Artist Trading Cards are typically made on a base of card stock. However, ATCs have been created on metal, stiffened fabric, plastic, clay, glass, balsa wood, leather, embroidery canvas, acetate, heavy watercolor paper, and many other materials. The art on the cards can be done in any media: textile arts, pencil, watercolor, acrylic, oil, collage, scratch board, mixed media, assemblage, digital art, calligraphy, beadwork, rubber stamps, carved soft block stamps, pen and ink, colored pencil, airbrush, pastels, and many others - anything artists use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Only because usually I read at work where I cant stamp....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post

Jutta
Exactly! I spend so much time looking at blogs and SCS, Hero Arts, and other stamping sites (not to mention shopping!) but very little stamping. I think my problem is that I see so many cool ideas and feel that my cards all look the same, just a different image or theme. What's funny is that I used to be able to get out some stamps and paper and go to town, but now I need an idea from somewhere as a starting point rather than just use my own imagination and creativity. It's hard to explain. The bottom line, for me, is that I spend more time shopping, organizing and surfing than creating, and I am not happy with myself about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I have made so many Christmas cards all the same, I need some inspiration to get going and finish the rest of them. Sometimes I just need a timeout before I can start again. And that's my excuse for being on SCS instead of stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Never look at it that way but, YES!! I do once I think about it, always looking for more products. xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Yes! I find myself browsing the galleries and reading posts in various forums because I just don't have the gumption to clean up my last creation mess so I can start on something new. Maybe if someone would schedule a stampin' event, I'd get motivated to stamp again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
One thing I am doing to get out of my stamping rut is that I am making at least one card from every set I own in alphabetical order. If I can't come up with anything, or dislike what I've done, I am considering getting rid of the stamp set. Sometimes having too much stuff is overwhelming. I find that is the case when I need to clean my house, too, and when it's really messy I don't know where to start.....
Ohhh! I love this idea! I think it'll be one of my new year's resolutions...too much going on between now and Christmas. Thanks, biblesistersmom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been like that to. Saturday is my stamping day where I can do it all day long. But I just did not "feel" like it. Well I started to stamp images out for wish Rak and that got me in the mood. I ended up stamping all day. I finished 3 swaps and a few other cards & projects.
SO go stamp some images and it will help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh yes! Being new to stamping I spend a TON of time just looking and reading. Hopefully I will get off here and get to work soon.... hopefully I can get some work done on my xmas gifts TODAY!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Jutta,

Boy have you hit the nail on the head. I spend most of my time doing the following;

Surfing the net for awesome sheets of stamps (rubber unmounted)

Trolling through the Joann website - because I belong to the Free Shippers Club - and so I have to buy as much as I can possibly afford

Rearranging my stamping space

Reorganizing my stamps

Playing with different techniques (brayer, watercolor pencils, gamsol, wet embossing, dry embossing.......)

Ordering books from the library and flipping through them

Well, you get the gist of it.........then when I actually have to MAKE A CARD, I am paralyzed with indecision about the stamp, design, placement,.....
by then I'm pissed off and stressed at having to meet a deadline.

This happens to me alot in my sewing room too - so I'm not surprised. Disgusted with myself,....but not surprised.

LOL I thought I wrote that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do the SAME thing.. and when I just was in a funk over the summer I just looked at stuff never even picked it up to do.. but i sure bought stuff! LOLOLOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, always on the computer looking at what everyone else is making. When it comes time for me to make a card, i always think to myself all the other ladys cards are so beautiful and mine just don't compare. So i just keeping looking at everyone else things thinking Oh i can do that. So then i started with the wish-rak and that has gotten me started. I don't have that many stamps, but with that rak i get images that sometimes really get me started on a new card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

I definately could have started this thread..I spend way too much time on the boards and looking at blogs and all the online stamping stores....There are pluses and minuses to this behavior..I get great ideas from others cards and I love to see the new products and there's usually someone who's tried it and willing to give their opinion...I get all the news on best places to buy stuff, the coolest and at the cheapest prices...The minuses are I end up accumulating more than I really need..I could make cards from now til 2020 and still have supplies leftover!...my stamping room is a total mess..it's starting to look like the obsessive complusive room with bags and supplies everywhere (thank goodness I'm not that way with the rest of my house)...I spend tons of time online and I could be doing other things or creating my own cards. I know part of the reason I'm on here so much is that I don't really have any stamping buddies in my group of friends..1 maybe but her time is way too limited to do stamping on a regular basis...so I feel like I have people here I can connect with to share ideas, etc...Ok enough for now..I'm actually in the midst of a project, I'm making baby announcements for my niece..Perhaps it takes committing to a project that gets me going..Thanks for letting me vent..
Polly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
I definately could have started this thread..I spend way too much time on the boards and looking at blogs and all the online stamping stores....There are pluses and minuses to this behavior..I get great ideas from others cards and I love to see the new products and there's usually someone who's tried it and willing to give their opinion...I get all the news on best places to buy stuff, the coolest and at the cheapest prices...The minuses are I end up accumulating more than I really need..I could make cards from now til 2020 and still have supplies leftover!...my stamping room is a total mess..it's starting to look like the obsessive complusive room with bags and supplies everywhere (thank goodness I'm not that way with the rest of my house)...I spend tons of time online and I could be doing other things or creating my own cards. I know part of the reason I'm on here so much is that I don't really have any stamping buddies in my group of friends..1 maybe but her time is way too limited to do stamping on a regular basis...so I feel like I have people here I can connect with to share ideas, etc...Ok enough for now..I'm actually in the midst of a project, I'm making baby announcements for my niece..Perhaps it takes committing to a project that gets me going..Thanks for letting me vent..
Polly
Polly,
Is there any way we could do an on line stamping club or something? I don't have many stamping friends close by, either. I'm right next door to you - well, six hours away in ND so getting together IRL might be tough but maybe we could put something together on line. Any ideas?

Also, there is another thread called receive a card, send a card so you might want to check that out for inspiration.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I definitely spend way too much time browsing galleries and blogs instead of stamping! I really need to discipline myself into actually DOING something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes indeed. I tell myself I will just hop online to get a little inspiration.... hours later I am reading posts, clicking links to craft supply and stamp store sites... Argh!

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

wow! and I thought it was just me!!! I spend most of my time online...reading, shopping, etc. Then when an occassion comes up, I'll make 20 or 100 or whatever invites...but day to day when I need to send a sympathy card...it frequently doesn't get done. Even when I do wander into my craft space, I spend most of the time organizing, gazing, thinking, or trying a new technique I had read about. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my goodness!! This is so me. It seems like I have been in a rut for the whole year. I have been seeing what beautiful projects everyone else has been making and checking out all the new products, but...My excuse first being that I did not want to stamp in my dark basement. Later I had to move my stuff out of that room and did not really have a space to stamp. At the moment I am actually moving my stamping room upstairs, as my daugthers' moved their bedroom downstairs. I hope it will make a difference.

Blog:http://rincondelencanto.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default reading vs stamping

This is so funny. When I first saw the question, I thought it was just saying Do you read more than you stamp? It's funny to me because this is what I do when I go home, read, stamp or scrap, and I have to decide what I'm going to do every night! I was like, there are others out there that do that TOO???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

OMG! I think each and everyone of these posts are talking about me...Maybe we need to start some type of club. HAHA

I recently saw a post on Mish Mash's blog about doing cards for
a criticaly ill children. That gave me a "light bulb moment". Next week I'm going to email some friends, who by the way, are not card makers, and see if we can meet once a month at my home to make cards for these kids. I think it would be a great way to have fellowship and get them interested in a new hobby. I really do have a lot of "stuff", so I'm sure we can go a couple of months without anyone buying anything. Of course, I'll have to keep them off this board or they will end up like the rest of us!!! :>} But, oh how I LOVE this board and all the talented ladies.

I'll let you know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Likes