Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fees and Supplies for Classes

What's reasonable in terms of bringing your own supplies given the fee?

This is a class to make 6 cards. the class is 2.5 hours and is $24. I think the fee is reasonable. But, I would have to bring

Adhesive, pop dots, glue dots, Ranger craft sheet, 1/8� tacky tape (double-sided tape), hole punch or Cropadile, paper piercer, paper distresser, brown ink, bone folder or Scor-it, ruler, scissors, x-acto knife and pencil.

I don't teach classes and don't want to seem like I am criticizing. I'm just trying to get some feedback to determine if this is reasonable. (Yes, I have all these supplies.........):mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joan

I am not responding as a class teacher - more a class student. So my 2 cents:

the class is basically $3 per card. The supplies listed (that you have to bring) are almost all nonconsumable...except for the Adhesive, pop dots, glue dots, Ranger craft sheet, 1/8” tacky tape (double-sided tape), brown ink.

Having taken lots of classes at Archivers - usually 3 or 4 cards for $15 - and everything is supplied... I don't think the price is too bad. And I would pay it and bring my stuff, if the cards had lots of embellishments, or I was learning way cool new techniques.

Patti

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, that is quite a list of things to bring. My SU demo has workshops for $15 where we make 10 cards (2 each of five designs), and we have to bring adhesive and scissors, and occasionally a paper trimmer. But her cards are all strictly SU product and rarely very embellished. She also limits the number of time-consuming techniques because so many people attend (usually 16 people). I know she doesn't make much (if anything) off the classes...it's orders she's fishing for, and boy, howdy, does she get them, LOL!

If this class is independent, has cards that are worth $3+ each in terms of supplies or skill level, and uses some new-to-you or at least cool techniques (6 cards in 2 hours--you better!), then it seems reasonable to me.

Have fun!

Last edited by LateBlossom; 11-06-2008 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

As a "teacher" I've always charged $5 for 5 cards and provided everything including an envelope. My cards aren't Fan Club worthy but they have layers and embossing and ribbon scattered throughout. I know I've always charged less than SU demos but maybe I should relook what I do!

But maybe you will walk away with some incredible cards!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Personally I think the price is steep. Most of the classes I've gone to supply everything except basic adhesive. I'd probably pass unless there was a technique or something that I really wanted to learn.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, BTW, this is a LSS, not a demo..............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:38 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I think it's kinda weird that they are asking you to bring your own tools. They normaly have these things in a LSS and just pass them around. All the card classes that I've done you only need your tape runner. I think I would pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

All the LSS around here (southeast Michigan) charge about the same thing ($15 for 4 cards) and the supply list is almost exactly the same. Sometimes they introduce a new technique or tool but not all the time. Usually they offer a 10% discount on the items they used in the class if anyone wants to purchase them after the class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I would probably pay it but then again, I live rural and these kind of offerings are pretty much non existant....however anything that I have been lucky enough to drive to...people are usually very generous and share supplies...even the demonstrator....who will usually ask you to just bring scissors and adhesive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #10  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, my SU demo charges $10.00 for to make usually just one card in an evening. We don't have to bring any supplies, but because she is fairly new to it all, we all have to share the supplies that she has. I don't mind. It is a social evening, and I don't really decide whether a class is worth it on a per card basis. I don't usually learn anything new or fantastic, but I still find I enjoy and learn something from the class.

My LSS charge variable amounts - depending on the class. One of my LSS usually charges about 15.00 for the class, and you have to bring all of your adhesives, bone folder, aquapainter , glue dots, scissors, inks if you have them , ruler, on and on!!. Generally we make about 3 cards. The are not often fabulous ( in my opinion ).. but you get some new ideas.

I do think that is a long list of stuff to take but my LSS ( or one of them ) asks folks to do the same thing - but the cost is not unreasonable - at least I don't think so.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe I'm just "spoiled", but it sounds a little high to me. I've attended several SU stamp camps and the class usually runs $17-$25. The only thing we have to bring is adhesive (she supplies everything else - and we've done some fairly "fancy" stuff). Typically we make 5-6 cards/items AND if we place an order within a week, she takes $10 off for attending the class.

I also attended a camp a few weeks ago where we made Christmas cards - 24 for $15!! She supplied EVERYTHING (including adhesive, embossing powder, etc, etc). We did 4 cards using the cracked glass technique. This was a SU demo and even with several orders that night, she said she didn't "make" anything, but didn't lose out, either, and it allowed her to make a few contacts. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmmm, sounds a little high to me if you have to bring all of that stuff. Most of the LSS's in my area only require you to bring what they call a basic tool kit for classes which usually includes scissors, bone folder, ruler, glue stick or tape runner, craft knife or paper trimmer. And even if you don't bring those items, they will usually provide them for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

On the flip side, bringing all your own tools and adhesives means you don't have to wait to use them! Especially if there's someone in the class that isn't familiar with the tools, sometimes its a long wait until "your turn."

My sister and I make sure our names are on all our tools, since we go to a lot of classes and crops!

Suzy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I have a great demo (thanks, Carolyn!) who charges $10 for 10 cards. We don't have to bring ANY supplies (some of us do, though) and the cards involve different techniques and quite a bit of embellishments. I don't think she makes much profit....just enough to cover costs. On the other hand a LSS charged us $12 for 3 cards and they were pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Instead of looking at the fee in terms of what you have to bring with you, look at it in terms of what you get to take away?

My loony schedule is such that I don't get an opportunity to sign up for many classes, but I know my mother has taken some that ran $10 for a single card. Since she got to keep the dreamweaver stencil that was used, the class was actually pretty inexpensive. So if you're making 6 cards that use expensive supplies, $3 a card is not unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Here is what my LSS wants you to bring:

Sharp Scissors
Embossing Tool or Stylus
Small Cutting Mat
Metal Ruler
Exacto Knife & Fresh Blades
Glue of Choice
Bone Folder
Blending Pen
Water Brush
12" Portable Paper Trimmer
Double-Sided Tape

She calls it your Stamper's Survival Kit. Most stuff seems reasonable. I guess they don't want to keep 12 or so of each item on hand. I hate having to take adhesive. I always seem to forget it. But I think it is fairly standard these days. Pop dots and glue dots - I think they should supply just because not everyone has them on hand and you really don't use a lot of them.
$24 for 6 cards does not seem too outrageous, but I must admit I hate paying for classes anymore. I can learn more here on SCS and have enough supplies to last a lifetime. But it is a chance to socialize, so I tend to look at it that way. But $10 for 1 card with a demo seems very high, not sure I could pay that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

My LSS does things like this. They charge 18$ for three cards THEN mandate a bunch of items to buy. Sometimes this even includes the stamp to be used on the card (which I don't get, can't we just share?). However, they are a wonderful store and I know they must pay their bills, so I do try to attend classes, but sometimes (like you) I get annoyed at all the stuff we are expected to buy/have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I feel like a real goober, but what is "LSS"? ;) I'm wondering if it's a store and just not one that's available in my area? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by galet1View Post
I feel like a real goober, but what is "LSS"? ;) I'm wondering if it's a store and just not one that's available in my area? Thanks!!
L=Local
S=Stamping/Scrapbooking
S=Store

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebeartView Post
L=Local
S=Stamping/Scrapbooking
S=Store

HTH!
Yep, like I said...I'm a real "goober". lol! :rolleyes:
Thanks much for the reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

If the local craft store is running a class, they are also wanting to make a few bucks for the time, effort and use of the store plus the Instructor does get a portion for their time/effort. I don't think the cost listed in Post #1 is unfair.

Realize also that the items listed to bring in Post #1 are certainly not mandatory. You certainly could get by without many of them and just do things by hand. So I wouldn't complain about the Tool Box List.

Most crafters would most likely have all those items anyway.

I take classes various places for just the socialization of being with other crafters. I hopefully learn a technique or two or a different way to do an old one. The items I would make in the class, I look at as samples and not something that I would take and give to someone. Then I go home and recreate the projects adding my own twist to them.

I do classes at a chain craft store and charge $15 per person. The store has some machines in the classroom for students to use, but the rest the student is expected to purchase in the store or bring with them. I also hand out a Tool Box List for each student to bring with them.

Just my opinions/ideas.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

There are two LSS's in my city and one has quite high class fees ($20-25) and you have to bring that HUGE list of supplies similar to what was mentioned above. I teach at the other store in our town and we supply EVERYTHING.. Absolutely everything.. Even copics when it's a copic class.. In my opinion, and from what my students have said, they LOVE not using their own supplies, and being able to just SHOW UP to a class is awesome. and i agree, that's why I teach there, and not the other place.

So i disagree with that large class fee AND the must-bring supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is interesting. I know class fees vary greatly, especially if the instructor is well known. I am happy to pay to learn!!!

I am also happy to know that the list of supplies just varies from store to store and probably instructor to instructor.

I prefer paying and not having to bring a thing, but I am sure if I were teaching I would want my attendees to bring a bunch of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

I think it depends on what the class is teaching. I usually bring my own scissors, bone folder, ruler. And if the class calls for a hole punch, then I would bring one, but it's not part of my "traveling" tool kit, nor is a piercing tool. But, I generally would not bring any adhesive, ink, craft mat or any of the other supplies listed.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
What's reasonable in terms of bringing your own supplies given the fee?

This is a class to make 6 cards. the class is 2.5 hours and is $24. I think the fee is reasonable. But, I would have to bring

Adhesive, pop dots, glue dots, Ranger craft sheet, 1/8” tacky tape (double-sided tape), hole punch or Cropadile, paper piercer, paper distresser, brown ink, bone folder or Scor-it, ruler, scissors, x-acto knife and pencil.

I don't teach classes and don't want to seem like I am criticizing. I'm just trying to get some feedback to determine if this is reasonable. (Yes, I have all these supplies.........):mrgreen:
Hey, Joan. I know you already know I teach. :grin: For a 6 card class, I always ask students to bring a basic tool kit of:

Preferred paper adhesive, a pencil, and detail scissors. I provide everything else.

Some students bring a much larger tool kit, and they are always welcome to, of course, if they don't want to share/wait a few minutes to use what I provide. Some of my students always bring their Stamp-a-ma-Jig, eyelet setting tools, a ruler, X-acto knife, and dimensional adhesives, etc.

I would like to mention, however, that if the class fee to you is $24, it's entirely possible the instructor herself is NOT receiving the whole class fee; the store may be keeping a portion of that fee to cover administrative fees they incur. In addition, the instructor may not have been granted a purchasing discount for classes she is teaching in this store.

If that is so, then I'd say the supply list you described, IMHO, would be justifiable.

Last edited by JulieHRR; 11-06-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

The SU demo I go to only charges $7 for 4 cards and she provides everything. She is probably just cutting even on this. She needs to raise her fees! A local shop nearby offers classes, the class to make 4 cards is $55, this is not a Tim Holtz class or anything, just taught by someone at the store.
That is a LOT for me and would not spend that. But this probably includes the cost of the discount she gives which is 10% on anything in the store on the day of class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #27  
ch
Mad Swapper

As a SU demo I ask students to bring their adhesive of choice--but I always supply sticky strip, dimensionals, glue dots etc. if needed. I have several bone folders and trimmers etc. I think your class fee is plenty to cover extras. Hope you have fun and learn fun new stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I teach at my LSS. Most classes are $15 for 2 hours. The store keeps $3 per student to cover some of their costs. Between the store tools and my own, we rarely ask students to bring anything. I limit my classes to 6 students. Passing around a particular tool isn't a big deal. I want my students to show up and have fun. No stress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I ditto what Julie said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

Even for our monthly stamp meetings where I know the demo will bring everything we need, I take : detail scissors, bone folder, adhesive, 6 inch ruler, embossing tool/stylus, small black marker, pencil and sharpener, and if she has asked for more I take it too.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

My LSS charges $15 per class, but you can buy a classcard for $40 that allows you to take any 4 classes, so at that rate it is only $10 per class. We usually make 4 or 5 cards and all supplies & embellishents are included. I usually bring my own watercolor or aqua brush when watercolors or H2O's are scheduled because I'm picky about the brush tip. You also get 15% off on all purchases the day of the class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #32  
Inking Addict

I teach a Copic class at a local craft store and charge $35 for a 2 hour class. Students make 1 card. I supply a full kit (including the Copic markers/colored pencils which they keep). The card kit includes two stamped images (1 for practice and 1 for final design), cardstock, designer paper, envelope, embellishments, ribbon, etc. I precut/emboss/punch everything students will need. I bring all tools and supplies that will be needed. Additional card kits (minus the markers) are $5 each or $20 with the markers. So, I don't think $24 for 6 cards is too high of a fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

just adding my humble opinion...
i teach at my apartment's community clubhouse - free for use, plenty of table space... so i don't have to charge for a location/rental.
we usually make a dozen cards for $15, and i just ask friends to bring their own adhesive (but i bring extra in case someone forgets). this time we are making 10 cards and 10 tags. i keep things pretty simple so that i can at least reimburse myself something for the time i spend putting the card kits together and definitely cover my supplies.

if someone does it out of their house and doesn't feed you or give you any products to keep and has very simple cards, i would say that cost is too high...
if you are at a place that has a building cost (a local store, someone renting a place to hold the class) and/or they are letting you keep some extra supplies and/or they have nice snacks/beverages and/or really deluxe cards with embellishments that may cost more, then pay the money.

Ultimately, if it's a way you'd enjoy spending your time, it's no more expensive than dinner out and a movie ticket (and i'd rather make something!)

...i'm sure you'll learn something new or come away inspired!

katie b
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I tend not to be TOO influenced by the price, unless it's totally outrageous. I would always take my own adhesives, cutting blades, mat etc anyway, whether I need to or not.

Things like Crop-a dile, distress tools and inks etc I could & would take but I would personally have thought those items may be a little specialised for some. I think if the class is marketing itself as learning eg distressing as part of the skills, then those tools ought to be provided.

For myself, my decision is mostly based around who the designer/demonstrator is & what they are offering or who else is going to have some fun with.

Last edited by little_lottie; 11-06-2008 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I taught at a LSS and our price for a card class was 25 for 4 or 5 cards. Most of my classes were pretty intensive. They usually lasted at least 3 hrs. I was at the store a total of 5hrs. I was teaching 3D paper flowers. It involved tons of punches. There was lots of prep time involved. I punched almost every piece ahead of time at home and made kits for everyone. This took at least 6 hours plus the design time for the cards and class samples that the store kept 3hours.( Could you imagine the noise of eight people using punches?) I only made about $15 per a person in classes of 6-8. In this case I supplies the glue, punches.all the papers, the card base and all the embellishments. The class students brought very little supplies. I believe the owner sold over a thousand dollars of punches from these classes.

I will say boy did my hands hurt after each class!!!!!

So it really depends on the area you live in and what the market will bear for the type of class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I owned a scrapbook store for two years and most classes were 10.00. This included everything they needed to make the LO or cards(6-, etc. Everything was precut and ready to go for them! Most classes were 2 hours and that was a good fit for most customers.
Another store charged 15.00-25.00 a class and supplies were included.
For me, I wanted to keep the cost low so customers could attend several classes in a month and several customers came to 2-4 classes a month.
I know in larger cities, classes are generally more expensive... Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I would NEVER pay that much to make cards if I had to bring all of that stuff along. Not worth it to me. My LSS charges $15 for 4 cards and the only we have to bring is our adhesive. We share the tools and it take a little bit longer but we are happy. That way as the owner says, we have more money to buy other things like the supplies to make our own cards at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Just my personal opinion, and that as a customer.

I would avoid any class where I have to bring so many supplies - consumable or not. It's just a pain to have to gather and haul all of that stuff. For that fee, the class would have to either be: A) exceptional (as several have said) or B) include a lot more of the supplies/materials. Either way, it sounds pretty pricey and/or troublesome to me.

Last edited by binx; 11-07-2008 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

I just wanted to add my comments to this.

I am also a teacher. I do charge 20$ for a 2.5 hours class. e do 2 projects mine are complicated. The Cardstock, embelishment, uses of my tools and coloring stuff, ink used in the class is included in that price. I also provide the tools BUT I ask the ones who have their tools to bring them in the class as I share mine and only have one for the whole class and that is OK some people are beginner and do not want to buy everything. I also provide the adhesives except the double side one and scisors.
Reply With Quote Likes