Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
It may be that they already have one or more designers that share your style, so they may want to bring in a designer with a different take on things.

It may be that your style is not a match with the style the company itself is trying to project; some companies are OK with or embrace your personal style and are fine with it being front and center, and others want a very specific style portrayed for marketing and branding purposes.

Or, it could be they want someone who does shabby, clean contemporary, vintage, etc. all with equal aplomb.

Because it may indeed not be necessary at all, but, after reviewing all applicants, the ones they decided to choose happened to have that experience.

Then, I applaud you, because a designer that already has a vested interest in the stamps/product line, uses, and loves them, is what every company would hope for, in addition to their skill.

If you mean, flashing images/logos or blinkies, I would venture to say those tend to annoy more than attract people; visual noise is distracting.

But, I'll be straight forward in that a visually attractive blog can make a significant difference to the individual reviewing your app. And, if you have music that comes on automatically, I would recommend that you take it off or turn it off; it usually bothers a visitor so much, they will not visit again.

You really have to be able not to take the rejection personally. I say that with utmost sincerity; this industry is chock full of rejection, and despite it being a little to no-paying type of job (free product is the norm in many cases), competition for DT spots is extremely fierce, and, there are far more applicants that DT spots available.

But, only you can determine if a DT spot is worth remaining persistent through that.
Well said Julie!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm seriously discouraged and have many of the same questions as Jess, the original poster.

In addition to how many times do I have to try and what else can I do to make myself better...I have more questions:

Maybe it's not that I have to be better but I need to change my style?

Why do stamp companies say that no prior DT experience is needed when most if not all of the people chosen have DT experience? At least that's true with the companies I've been looking at.

Is it because I'm picky? I don't want to be on a DT just to say I'm on a team. I want to really like the line of stamps and their style.

Maybe it's my blog? Maybe I need to be more flashy with links advertising the companies of the products I use?

I have been quite successful at selling my cards. Maybe I should just be happy with that? But I'm not. Where do I go from here when all I want to do is give up?
Julie always gives fabulous advice and I'm not sure I have much to add, but here goes.

Stamp because you love it and your love will show. With the teams I have been lucky enough to join, I was already using their products. I love their stamps and was a happy customer before my dream of designing for them came true. Sounds like you are the same and have certain companies that you would love to work with. Make your presence known to them. Participate in their challenges and releases. If they have contests, participate in those. If they have a forum, participate in their forum. That is the best way for company owners to get to know you. Some companies do not have design team calls. The owners hand pick their designers based upon any number of things and it helps if they get to know you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #43  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
Don't change your style. You have a great style.

Don't wait for a call. Send the company and email, you never know what they will be looking for. Send them links to your gallery and blog.

Don't take it personally. Companies get 100's of inquiries and submissions from people interested in being on DTs.

Keep plugging if it's something you really want. Don't let it suck the fun out of this hobby for you.
Great advice, Jeanne!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks everyone. All of your advice and comments made a lot of sense. I will work on not taking it personally and keep using the stamps from the companies I love... and of course, continuing watching for new companies I may like. Can never have too many stamps, right?
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #45  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Thanks everyone. All of your advice and comments made a lot of sense. I will work on not taking it personally and keep using the stamps from the companies I love... and of course, continuing watching for new companies I may like. Can never have too many stamps, right?
You got that right Girlie! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm seriously discouraged and have many of the same questions as Jess, the original poster.

In addition to how many times do I have to try and what else can I do to make myself better...I have more questions:

Maybe it's not that I have to be better but I need to change my style?

Why do stamp companies say that no prior DT experience is needed when most if not all of the people chosen have DT experience? At least that's true with the companies I've been looking at.

Is it because I'm picky? I don't want to be on a DT just to say I'm on a team. I want to really like the line of stamps and their style.

Maybe it's my blog? Maybe I need to be more flashy with links advertising the companies of the products I use?

I have been quite successful at selling my cards. Maybe I should just be happy with that? But I'm not. Where do I go from here when all I want to do is give up?
Hi Boo,
I try not to comment too much in this area but I just wanted to tell you that after reading your post, I stopped by your blog. Your cards and pages are really beautiful. You are very talented.

One of the first things I looked at on your blog (and usually look at when I am choosing designers,) was which companies you like. I can tell by your blog posts. Generally, when someone has a lot of blog posts using stamps from one or two companies, that means that they have a bit of a passion for the images that those companies produce.

Another thing I looked at was your blogroll and what company's blogs you follow and promote. People tend to follow and promote the blogs of companies that they like as well. (Not always and of course there are exceptions but it's something to consider.)

Given that information, you should think about pitching yourself to those companies that you are most passionate about. (I can only speak for myself but those are some of the things that I look at. I can tell if someone really like my company by how often the use my products and if they follow my company's news.) Those may sound like pretty obvious things but you would be surprised at how many submissions most companies get from people who don't even really use their stuff. They just want to be able to say they are on a team. LOL!

When a company is looking for DT members, they are looking for people who have a passion for their company. Then, they look at the person's style to see if it will fit in and compliment the styles they already have on the team.

Remember, most companies have a limited amount of spaces to fill so even if you are the perfect fit, they may just not have the room. No doesn't mean never.

I wish you the best of luck finding the perfect team that both fits your style and your passion. You are loaded with talent so I'm sure it's not far away.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Gina... thanks for the insight and the encouragement.

This is going to sound lame but amazingly true... I just stamped your kissy fishes and put them in my "to be colored soon" clamshell case.
FS143 / QFTD93 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

BTW.... Yes. I have a clamshell case with soon to be colored images. When I go to "certain" doctor's offices, I either bring a book or my images and Copics with me. People ignore me when I'm reading. I get strange looks when I color. LOL! Needless to say, I have a huge clamshell case of colored images waiting to be put on cards. :p
FS143 / QFTD93 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

I understand how the rejection can really "take the wind out of your sails!" I could have written your blog myself. I just keep trying, look at DT calls, and to be honest, there are some companies that I wouldn't want to design for. There are so many stamp companies out there and to be frank, some of the stamps just aren't my style.
I say, just keep doing what you love and take self-satisfaction from that. Don't you love the great comments you get when you give someone a handmade card? These are the little things that keep me going.
Hang in there, do what you love and are passionate about and submit when you want. I agree, some of the same names seem to come up in DT's.
Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

The best advice I can give you is to be yourself. Stamp and design and create what you like, the way you like it. I've applied for several design teams, and I was accepted onto two. One is a scrapbook DT, on which my term is coming to an end this month. The other is a stamping DT, and my term is for as long as I want to remain. My style was the basis for my acceptance. My cards and scrapbook pages didn't look like anyone else's, and that's what the owners were looking for. They chose members who each had their own style.

I didn't worry about my blog and how many hits I have, what companies I link to, etc. I'm glad the owners of the DTs I'm on weren't concerned with that, because I don't think it has any bearing on one's ability. I avoid submitting to those companies, because I don't think they're really interested in a person's abilities, but rather their "popularity." (Not looking for a flame here; it's just not what I'M looking for in a DT )

Your cards don't have to (and shouldn't) look like everyone else's on SCS or any other site/gallery/magazine. When companies choose DT members, it is a very subjective decision. You never know what will appeal to them, so being yourself is the only way to be. The only other advice I have is to not try so hard. Lighten up on yourself, and enjoy what you're doing. Then your true talent and creativity will shine through. Good luck, and remember to have fun!

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 11-06-2008 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
The best advice I can give you is to be yourself. Stamp and design and create what you like, the way you like it. I've applied for several design teams, and I was accepted onto two. One is a scrapbook DT, on which my term is coming to an end this month. The other is a stamping DT, and my term is for as long as I want to remain. My style was the basis for my acceptance. My cards and scrapbook pages didn't look like anyone else's, and that's what the owners were looking for. They chose members who each had their own style.

I didn't worry about my blog and how many hits I have, what companies I link to, etc. I'm glad the owners of the DTs I'm on weren't concerned with that, because I don't think it has any bearing on one's ability. I avoid submitting to those companies, because I don't think they're really interested in a person's abilities, but rather their "popularity." (Not looking for a flame here; it's just not what I'M looking for in a DT )

Your cards don't have to (and shouldn't) look like everyone else's on SCS or any other site/gallery/magazine. When companies choose DT members, it is a very subjective decision. You never know what will appeal to them, so being yourself is the only way to be. The only other advice I have is to not try so hard. Lighten up on yourself, and enjoy what you're doing. Then your true talent and creativity will shine through. Good luck, and remember to have fun!
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I just sighed and realized that is how I need to think. {{HUGS}}
FS143 / QFTD93 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post

Wow! I just looked at your blog! I love your scrapbooking style. I'm going to put you on my blog role when I get home today so I can come back for inspiration.
FS143 / QFTD93 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another suggestion: ask someone whose work you like to take a look at your work and offer comments to you (privately!). I did this once and it was very helpful. It didn't make me any more creative, but it made me see a few things that I needed to do to make my work and my pictures look better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #54  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Wow! I just looked at your blog! I love your scrapbooking style. I'm going to put you on my blog role when I get home today so I can come back for inspiration.

Oh, Miss Boo, you made my day! You're very sweet; thanks for the compliments. I checked out your blog too, and you have a wonderfully unique style. Your cards are adorable, and your pages are lovely. I wouldn't change a thing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes