Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling Cased Card ?

Someone contacted me to ask questions about one of my cards. There were 4 contacts with questions and from the questions that were asked I do not understand how this person could have already made a card. I found out quite accidentally that she had an order for 10 of the cards.

Would you be upset about this? I do not have my pictures watermarked but will be working on doing that in the future.

I am very happy to answer questions about anything that I post but I never thought about someone doing this. I also feel honored that someone would want to case my cards for their own use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you thinking she pre-sold 10 copies of the card you made without doing one herself yet???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

She used your picture to advertise selling cards? That is not OK. Being inspired by other cards is one thing-nicking a photo is really mean i think, That's so lazy. I've never heard anything like it. Not alot you can do although I would be tempted to email and mention how 'off' it is-but maybe they read this forum-'It's not nice-don't do it again-take your own photos'! if it's you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

hmmm ... before jumping to any conclusion as to the other person's motives, I would definitely point-blank ask her if she's planning on selling cards you designed before you answer any of her design questions!

You might want to think about how you feel about her selling your card design. Do take into account that photo's of artwork posted on SplitCoast are shared to one and all for inspiration, and each person's definition of CASE is entirely different as we've seen from the plethora of threads that abound on this topic.

Once you've figured that out, contact her. Whether you can actually do something to stop her (if that's what you decide) is something else entirely. But, you don't have to tell her exactly how you made it either :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the last poster. One time a thread got started here about someone copying someone else's work and it got really ugly and it turns out it was an honest mistake. Good luck with whatever you decide. Your work must be lovely if someone is copying it so closely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't jumped to any conclusions about her selling the cards. I had already answered her questions - very specific questions before I read another email that she sent me and on it she had forwarded another email where she had sold 10 of the cards. I did ask her if she was planning to sell cards with my design and she said yes she had sold some of them. I do not believe she could have made one of the cards because of the questions she asked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, that takes some nerve!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I do think it's only right that someone makes their own card and takes their own photo before selling it.

However it could be possible that she had a friend who needed something specific, and she had her browse the gallery for something she loved. If yours was THE ONE, the person asking the questions probably said she could copy it, and then realized she needed more info after saying it could be done. In this case, I would as you said...feel honored.

IF...CAPITAL 'IF' this person is stealing photos and offering them up for sale without doing any of the work...this is WRONG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Your post made me so curious that I checked out your gallery. You have some nice things but so do many others. I could not see anything pictured that was so complicated an experienced cardmaker could not duplicate themselves. So, this leads me to question if the poster is so inexperienced she has to question you on your construction methods, how in the world has she managed to pre-sell 10 cards herself and can she possibly be able to make them? And if she has pre-sold ten cards, I'm thinking quite likely they would be baby shower invitations and your blue teddy bear is adorable. But, she should be able to figure that out herself. Whether she is talented enough to assemble it is another thing. Was this the card that was questioned?

I would be interested in asking her how she presold them? I'm also curious as to what is a watermark? Apparently it is something like a copyright?

Bottom line on this, I feel this other person has a great deal of unmitagated nerve. Nothing stops someone from casing, or selling, but to take additional time from you so she can learn how to copy your product so she can sell it is crossing the lines of being an ethical, treat others as you would like to be treated human being.
Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #10  

I know the op had mentioned about water marking her pictures, but I really don't think that doing so will stop anyone from copying your cards. I would never copy someone's cards and sell them, but I guess it's bound to happen and I would assume the only way to prevent it is to not have a gallery. (Although I love splitcoast and I wouldn't want to see that happen).

To be quite honest I've seen cards from here in the splitcoast gallery and then I saw the same card for sale on ebay by a seller who lived in a different state. It makes me wonder that this happens more than we know.

I guess it's all a part of sharing and I love having my gallery and sharing my ideas with everyone here. I am always flattered when someone cases my cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

To answer a few questions. It was NOT at all the fact that this person cased one of my cards. As I said in my original post, I am honored that anyone would even want to case a card. I am also VERY happy to answer any questions as I did for this person. It was only after I had answered the questions through PM and checked my email ( She had sent emails also) and on her emails there was a copy of an email to another person and she said she had sold 10 of this card to a customer. I PM'd her and ask if she is selling my card design and she answered yes. It was not the baby card but the Christmas Rose card. Some of her questions were: Did you use white cs for the bottom triangle? Did you use white Kraft or watercolor to paint the roses. Did you cut the circles with a Colluzle and what size are the circles?
The fact that she is selling others designs, and has these basic questions makes me wonder if she has even made one of the cards.

A watermark is your name layered over the cards. This makes it more difficult for others to use your photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I checked your gallery also and you have beautiful and unique cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Your Christmas Rose card is so awesome!

I would just consider it a huge compliment...and let it go.
Nothing can be done about it.......and no sense worrying more and getting upset over it.

I agree it's not a nice thing for someone to do.....but is it worth getting worked up over it?

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Your card is absolutely gorgeous. I love it.
This topic is such a grey area.
Pretty basic questions she is asking, but I agree with the previous poster, Lori.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Your gallery is awesome! Personally, I think it is rude of her to ask you all kinds of questions on exactly how you made your design just so she can sell them. I sometimes case a card that I love to give as a gift to a friend of relative, but it may have different colors or embellishments. Believe me - it never seems to look as great as the original creator! If she had to ask so many questions, maybe you can rest assured that her duplicates will never look as gorgeous as yours! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Christmas Rose card is STUNNING!! Being an inexperience stamper, if I were to even try to do this card, it wouldn't even begin to turn out like yours, so if the person was asking all of those questions, it tell you that they don't really know how to begin to make it as wonderful as yours and the paying customer will be very disappointed with her work! Please don't let one person spoil your joy that you receive from making something that truly satisifies you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Your gallery is lovely, BWStamper - I just favorited a card and bookmarked your gallery. You don't have to worry about me selling your designs, though - I'm more of a supply horder than I am a card maker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Yea- it would irritate me too. Not that we aren't willing to share but that's crossing the line.

I've had similar issues- didn't even make a planned project for my dd kindergarten class because i knew one of the mom's would take my idea (yes eventhough it was an idea probobly originated on SC) and duplicate them at our craft fair. Can't guarantee i will be able to get things done to sell this year but i would like to try and not have the idea scammed... she can at least put the effort into researching it first! Not copy mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

After receiving your answer, I checked your gallery again to see the Christmas Rose. I loved your hummingbird card and also the sympathy card and saved them in my favorites. You do beautiful work.

I still feel casing is a form of compliment but I would be upset about the nerve of the op who questioned you on how to make your card so she could sell it. To me that would be the same as contacting a fashion designer and taking their time to ask if the dress they had designed had been cut on the bias and precisely how many yards of fabric did it take and then going out and trying to duplicate it to sell for my profit. Nothing can be done about what this person did and I'm sure you are wise enough to let it go soon and give her a very wide path if she contacts you ever again. I think she is a very unscrupulous person and I too doubt very much if she had to ask you the questions she asked, she very likely isn't capable of creating a close duplicate of your work.
Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Lori is right, I just need to let it go. I just want to reiterate a couple of things though. What really bothered me actually more than her selling my card design was that I think she used my picture to sell the cards.

I LOVE sharing here and am honored that anyone wants to case my cards. I really like being able to help anyone who wants information for their personal use and will ALWAYS answer questions but I was shocked with this situation.

I have learned so much from others who have shared here and I really appreciate this site and one thing that makes it so special is the many nice people in this community and their willingness to help.

If I didn't want to share, I would not post in the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #21  

I understand now, too. She shouldn't have used your pic to sell your card design. There is always the possibility that the customer saw the card and loved it and asked someone to make it for her. BUT, that's a pretty slim possibility, IMO. If someone likes to spend time looking in galleries or blogs, don't they generally like to make them?

Definitely watermark your cards in the future!! and make sure your watermark is in a spot that can't be cropped out, so put it somewhere on the card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm finding this all rather intriguing. bwstamper, you sound like a lovely and reasonable person with amazing talent. I admit that I stroll through the galleries here and sometimes see an "aha!" idea that I just have to use. I'm not a great stamper, but getting better, but I can generally figure out or ball park if I see something that is interesting. For instance, I was struggling with the Alphabet Soup set and saw that some people had used a spectrum pad instead of a single color and that really helped me get past my creativity block with that set. That's why I find it so curious that someone would PM you and ask such specific questions. Unless she was so pressed for time, half the fun of stamping is playing around and finding a design that appeals to you even if it isn't exactly like one you saw here and love. Anyway, I will stop rambling. bw - keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Definitely watermark your cards in the future!! and make sure your watermark is in a spot that can't be cropped out, so put it somewhere on the card!![/QUOTE]

In this circumstance, I'm not sure the watermark would have made any difference. We will never know if she took the original and passed it off as her own or just said 'hey - do you want me to make you one like this?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #24  

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
Definitely watermark your cards in the future!! and make sure your watermark is in a spot that can't be cropped out, so put it somewhere on the card!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmom
In this circumstance, I'm not sure the watermark would have made any difference. We will never know if she took the original and passed it off as her own or just said 'hey - do you want me to make you one like this?"
I think it would totally have helped. She couldn't have passed it off as her own when there's someone else's name right on the photo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I would not be happy if she used your picture to sell the card,but if she cased it and sold the card then it should not be a big deal. We don't copyright our layouts that is the purpose of sharing ideas, right??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with stampinmomnh. Using your picture to sell the card. Not cool. Duplicating it and selling it, to me is not a problem.

Sometimes I just don't understand the outrage of people being cased.

Some people like to stamp. Plain and simple. Some people don't have the time or creativity to come up with ideas. Some people just like "giving" and like making things for people.

I have yet to read a comment where someone is selling cards and rolling in cash.

Is it wrong for me to case an exact card and give it to a senior or a teacher? I don't pass it off as "my" design but I did "make it".

Is it wrong for me to case an exact card, sell them and then donate the money to my local food pantry?

Are we here to enjoy a hobby or pat ourselves on the shoulder and say "look what I made, enjoy it but don't case it"?

I'm not trying to offend anyone but sometimes I just don't understand.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I looked at your gallery and it is beautiful. Your work is lovely and certainly worthy to CASE. But I do think it takes nerve to contact you with specific questions to replicate the card exactly in order to sell it. That makes it appear to me that she is using your picture to get sales since the card needs to be such an exact copy. Otherwise, it seems like she could just eyeball it.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with CASEing but selling exact copies of someone else's work, and using their photos to do it, is stepping over the line.

Last edited by Glitterati; 11-02-2008 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: ETA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Default Selling Cased Card

I checked your gallery out - LOVE YOUR WORK!!! You do beautiful work! I don't agree with this person using YOUR picture to sell the card, but as far as using the same idea that you did should not be a problem. We all are guilty of that - seeing something somewhere and making one similar or just like it. Keep on posting to your gallery - just make sure your name is "watermarked" across the card from now on. I sure wouldn't think a person could use a picture with someone else's name on it to sell. You are blessed with a talent so keep on doing what you are good at - you are making alot of people happy looking at your work! What's done is done - nothing can be done about it now. Time to move on. Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraftykateklosetView Post
I checked your gallery out - LOVE YOUR WORK!!! You do beautiful work! I don't agree with this person using YOUR picture to sell the card, but as far as using the same idea that you did should not be a problem. We all are guilty of that - seeing something somewhere and making one similar or just like it. Keep on posting to your gallery - just make sure your name is "watermarked" across the card from now on. I sure wouldn't think a person could use a picture with someone else's name on it to sell. You are blessed with a talent so keep on doing what you are good at - you are making alot of people happy looking at your work! What's done is done - nothing can be done about it now. Time to move on. Have a great day!
Ditto - all that have replied in some way or another. For me, I really feel that credit should be given where do. If your photo was used to sell the card, then ultimately, this person has misrepresented themselves and if they don't come clean, that will be apparent. I recently made Halloween cards I cased and someone said, "Oh that looks like SU!" I was honest and said the stamp was not, but that I had cased the card design. We should all be willing and ready to give credit and take credit when necessary. We only hurt ourselves if we don't.

Karma, the universe, whatever you believe is a b***h. Turnabout is fair play, so rest assured that if there is anything nefarious going on here, it will play itself out. If not, then you have had the ultimate compliment. You do beautiful work, be proud and try not to get hung up on this. Let it take its course, I don't believe you will be impacted negatively in the end.

Jackbuilt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I honestly don't get where all this is coming from, lol! The OP has said she doesn't have a problem with the fact that the card was CASEd or that it was sold. She even said she didn't mind the fact that the person asked her questions about how it was made. The one thing she was wondering about (not "mad" about, just wondering...) is if the person used her actual gallery picture to actively promote it t her customer. I think I have that straight, yes?

So, why is everybody all up in arms? My interpretation would likely be that somebody saw the gallery picture, said to this gal..."oooh, I love this one! Please make me some just like it, pretty please, lol! I'll even pay you!" I don't think I'd jump to the conclusion that this person was actively trying to do something dastardly. I really don't get where all the negativity is coming from...or why?

To the OP: I think you were very gracious with this person in helping her out. While it may be weird in a way, lol, I imagine it's also very flattering! I would try not to be too concerned about the hows and whys of how she came to pick your card to CASE, but rather be willing to believe the best.

Now I'm off to visit your gallery to check it out for myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No one can stop someone else from CASEing a card or selling a design they copied from a card on the internet. The only thing the watermark does is stop someone else from using your photo of it. Which yes would really irk me also. But I scan my pics and my cards are more basic instead of elaborate.
Your cards are gorgeous by the way!
You could always ask the emailer if she used your pic and then remind her that your pics are for your use only.

When cards are posted on SCS and on blogs, people are going to see them and they are going to copy the design and sometimes to sell them. I really feel wehn you post a picture on the internet of a card, you are giving permission to to copy your design as there is no way you can stop it. It is not illegal to do.
I do understand that you did not liek the questions on how you made your cards. You do not have to answer emails like that. You can reply,
"This card looks good in many different color combinations. I bet you can come up with a great one!"

Personally I would feel fantastic if someone wanted to CASE one of my cards for a craft show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Many of the previous posters have misunderstood. I am VERY flattered when someone likes my cards enough to case them. I AM VERY HAPPY to answer questions. That WAS NOT the point of my original post. What I do not like is someone using my photo to SELL cards before they have even made a cased card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't get upset if people use my designs for inspiration, or even copy them exactly. But I would definitely get upset if someone had the nerve to ask me how to make my cards so that she could sell them. IMO, the nervy part is that she asked you to tell her how you made them, not that she's selling the cards. And I would be upset if she used my photo of the card to sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with a previous poster......if you put your work on the internet, it is there for anyone/all to see and use. You can't stop them.

My other opinions.....

If you want people to view your work, putting a watermark on it in the middle only takes away from being able to see it for what it is. It seems so many people want to CASE (what ever version of definition they choose for that term) what someone else did. I still don't understand that one (no explanation required).

I like to look at some of the cards but pass over the ones that have a large watermark in the middle or are photographed in shadow or are very dark.

I don't want to copy someone elses idea. I like to create my own.

I've also thought about it and can't say I would be flattered to have someone want to recreate my work for their own. I like creating my cards for what I get from them and don't need to have others comment or want to copy them.

I get enjoyment from paper crafting and what I make, so that's the important thing to me. I give what I make to others....it's there choice whether they like it or not.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I actually appreciate when gals take the time and make the effort to watermark their card images. Then if and when I print out the image, I can easily give credit if I post a card based on that design.

I'm with you all the way: if the stamper used the design I'd be flattered -- if she used a copy of my photo of my card to sell HER cards, I'd be less than charmed.
SharonK

====
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
Many of the previous posters have misunderstood. I am VERY flattered when someone likes my cards enough to case them. I AM VERY HAPPY to answer questions. That WAS NOT the point of my original post. What I do not like is someone using my photo to SELL cards before they have even made a cased card.
Reply With Quote Likes