Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one who can't sign a card I made?

I am new to stamping but I am finding that I have a problem (ha, I have many problems but back to the subject at hand).... I make a card and it may or may not turn out like I wanted etc but then I go to send it or give it and I just can't bear to hand write anything in it--like I will ruin the card if I sign my name or put a note on it. I'm just curious if I am the only one who has this problem. So instead I will send a little note or make sure it has my return address label on the envelope or do a font on the computer but I just can't hand write in it for fear of ruining the look I set out to achieve. Am I the only one or is there a support group out there for those of us afraid to write in our cards? ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You can get over this by creating an insert, writing on it before you stick in the middle of the card, so that if you mess up you havent messed up your card.

Alternatively you can just love your handwriting, or practice to get it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I think the big thing with me is the writing will take away from the design I was after when I made the card. Hey, I told you it was a weird problem --seriously--it messes with the groove of my card so I don't put anything in there. Weird, eh? Please someone tell me I am not alone (hmmm, but perhaps..)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

When I send my sister-in-law and husband a card I always put a sticky note inside of the card so that she can reuse it. She always tells me they are too pretty for just her to see. She reuses the card. It makes me feel good to know she likes homemade cards. This might something you might want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to put a separate note in the card from a lady I swap with.
That way the card can be reused. I do still sign the insides of
my cards because I always did with the store bought kind and it's a habit.
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

As jukie says, you can put an insert in your card which is what I do 90% of the time; once in a while, I don't want to even mess up the insert so I put a separate piece of paper in it and it says:

"I didn�t sign this card before I sent it off to you; instead it holds my warmest thoughts invisible but true. So, if you find you want to brighten someone�s day, then take this card, sign it and send it on it�s way"

I certainly didn't "invent" this phrase but certainly works for me. HTH.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I used to be, but not anymore. The first time is the hardest, then it just gets easier over time.

I do, however, tend to write my message on a scrap of paper first, so I can edit it to make sure I haven't made any mistake or that I'm not repeating a word twice in the same sentence, that sort of thing. It also gives me an idea of how big or small I should write to fill in the space inside the card.

There's nothing wrong with writing on a separate piece of cardstock and then gluing it inside, too. You can simply punch the corners with a fancy punch and then add a stamped image in the corner and then it looks like it belonged there all along! :mrgreen:

Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I used to do the same thing. The more you make cards the easier it'll become. I started writing notes on post-it notes, then stamping my name on the back. Now I write notes and it doesn't bother me. If someone really wants to re-use the card or save it, they can always cut the front off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I always type my message for for the inside on my computer and print it out on #24 silk, linen or laid paper, usually in an off white, cream or natural color. That way I can use a font that matches the purpose of my card. I also sign my name using my computer, but do that in a script font. I do attach the paper inside securely. I will stamp a graphic on the inside also that is part of what's on the front.

My cards are personalized for the recipient and I don't mean them to be passed on to another person. Personally, I wouldn't want to receive a card that was originally for another person.

People that receive my cards realize that I get a lot of enjoyment from using my computer. Therefore having the inside printed is my form of personalization and showing how much enjoyment I get from creating that card for that person.

These are just my opinions and I realize they may not be shared by many others.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh good! I thought I was the only one who did this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

If its for a special occassion, like a birthday or wedding, I'll write in it and sign it...

But if I just send it for fun, I'll use a post-it inside so they can re-use it if they wish.

I always sign the back though, as it is my art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Please don't be afraid to write in your cards. Handwriting is a very personal thing and unique to each person.

Not to be morbid, but none of us will be here forever. Long after you are gone, your handwriting will summon up a powerful memory for someone who reads it.

My dear mother has been gone for years, but when I run across something with her handwriting on it, she is right here with me again!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I normally write my note on a post it note..........so that not only is the receiver getting a card but it is one they can pass along and use themselves.

Helps me get over actually writing on the card phobia! LOL YUP I have it too!
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Please don't be afraid to write in your cards. Handwriting is a very personal thing and unique to each person.

Not to be morbid, but none of us will be here forever. Long after you are gone, your handwriting will summon up a powerful memory for someone who reads it.

My dear mother has been gone for years, but when I run across something with her handwriting on it, she is right here with me again!
This is so true, my most beloved things are those that have been written by hand by my mum and dad who have both passed away, its a little piece of them....in fact the ones that mean the most are the ones that are kinda mess up 'cause it reminds me so much of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have any advice about how you should go about this, but I think some of the suggestions of an insert sound good.

I just wanted to say that I am a person that loves handwriting. And especially hand written notes. Some of the older generation in my family weren't very good at keeping momentos and I think prolly b/c they were mostly poor, they didn't have many pictures. But I do have some odds and ends with handwriting from grandparents and great grandparents and that means so much to have. I have trouble getting rid of any personal cards or notes from certain family and friends b/c I feel like the handwritten messages are a connection to them. And I tend to keep the cards where there is more than just a signed name, like maybe a quick message or even some type of unique doodle. Nowadays a lot of people send xmas cards made from the computer or printed from the store or even stick a printed label inside, and the writing is always typed...these are prolly the first cards that go in the trash for me.

So maybe not worry about the design and focus on the sentiment..I'm sure the receiver would appreciate it no matter what.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

You are not alone! I don't really like my own handwriting so i always feel as though it makes the card look messy inside. I usually type my sentiment and salutation on the computer and make it a part of the inside of the card.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I just about always do my messages on the computer -- sometimes I also to my signature from the computer, othertimes hand sign. Love the little poem from buttons2, I may use it is the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I write in mine, so it gives a personal touch (depending on what the card is for, and who it's going to). If I make a boo boo, I'll cut a coordinating piece of paper, and layer over it, and re-write.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I always write a message on a post-it and stick that inside. I feel like I am messing my card up by writing directly inside. Most stampers that I get cards from do the same thing. In fact, when I get a card that someone wrote in I'm a little disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Bound4london, I feel your pain!! I get an uneasy feeling when it comes time for me to write in my cards. One reason is because my handwriting tends to creep uphill and looks crappy like that, two is that I don't like the look of pen ink on the style of homemade cards:( But, I sign, sigh, and send it on its way

God and America, Family and Friends, Stampin' and Zumba....so much to be thankful for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

ITA with what buggainok said. My grandma isn't gone yet, but she'll never write again, and her cards and letters are so precious. She hated her handwriting--don't most of us?--but it just doesn't matter to those who love us. Our handwriting is a piece of us that's tangible, that people can hold onto. That's why I only use my handwriting, ugly as it is, in my scrapbooks and in my cards. It really does get easier with time.

That said, I do like the idea of sending a card for no reason and putting a post-it in there so the person can re-send it. What a fun little gift for paying it forward! But for birthdays and other special occasions, I'd sign the card so it's special to the person I sent it to. But that's just me....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I personally like to think that if someone (usually a friend or family member) took the time to make me a handmade card, I would not want to send it on to someone else, so...I would want them to write in it and sign it. I do in mine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I use a gel pen in a coordinating color to write in my cards. I feel it makes it look like it is a part of the card design. Just leave the card open for a few minutes to make sure the ink is dry before closing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I many times will print the inside sentiment on my puter - my wrting like one of the posters goes uphill LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

It will get easier over time. Until then you've gotten some great advice. I sometimes use inserts (when the card base is too dark to write on) and/or post it notes. The majority of the time I just go with the flow and write in them. It makes it more personal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I buy nice post it notes that are either neutral or coordinate with my card colors, and write my greeting on the post it. I'll let the recipient know I do it that way so they can reuse the card if they wish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Default You are right~

Quote:

When I would scrapbook with my friends I would never (would hate to) journal. I explained that I did not like my handwriting. My friend Kelly - said the same thing. She has lost her mom years ago and cherishes the things she has with her handwriting on it. Recipes, letters, etc. So from then on I journal and sign cards. I will use a sticky note or nice piece of paper - stamp the background - for a note so the person can re-use the card if they like. But that is more when the card is for fun or used to mail them something else. Hope that makes sense.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I'm glad to see that I am not alone in my dilemma. Thanks for the thoughts and the fun advice. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I actually like my handwriting. I regard it as every bit as expressive as the art work I produce and I think the receiver thinks that too. I think the card would feel a little empty without my scrawl all over it. However I have one friend who likes my cards but also likes to recycle them. So she cuts the fronts off, remounts them and sends them onto other friends which is fine by me. She wouldn't do it if she didn't like what I had sent her. I also think your handwriting is such a personal thing that people like the direct connection it provides with you. So, take a deep breath and sign those cards!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Looks like I am the opposite of most people. I like writing in mine, and I think not writing in them (ie. sending a separate note inside so the card can be reused) is a little odd. I understand many people do that, and most of my pen pals do this. I just like writing in the card. It's why I made it, as a pretty/nice place to write. This is not to say that I don't appreciate the cards from people who send a separate note because I do appreciate all the lovely cards I have received, no matter how the written message arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
As jukie says, you can put an insert in your card which is what I do 90% of the time; once in a while, I don't want to even mess up the insert so I put a separate piece of paper in it and it says:

"I didn�t sign this card before I sent it off to you; instead it holds my warmest thoughts invisible but true. So, if you find you want to brighten someone�s day, then take this card, sign it and send it on it�s way"

I certainly didn't "invent" this phrase but certainly works for me. HTH.

Wanda
I actually have a similar phrase printed on vertical white business cards from Vista Print. It has "extra" space above and below plus my email address at the very bottom. I can write the person's name above the phrase and a very short note below. What's nice is that I've even had people let me know that they really like this and have sent the card on. It's a white business card so that I can stamp on it so it "matches" the card. (I also have a custom stamp for the back of my card so I know that the next recipient is aware of who actually made the card.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I write in mine. But I admit when I first started making cards it was hard. I also used to not like to be photographed because I have some extra weight--But then I got to thinking, that is how everyone sees me, including my kids and they love me how I am, so I got over it. I want my kids to have pictures of me when they get older and I'm not around. I guess that's also how I feel about writing in cards. I don't like my handwriting, but so what? Making a card is so very personal, not signing it would kinda ruin it, imo. Your writing is what really personalizes it, it is unique to you. Same with scrapbook journaling. The handwriting is so personal.. sure I could get a professional looking page if I used computer fonts, but it loses it's charm. I figure if I want "perfect," I can go to Hallmark and buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
I am new to stamping but I am finding that I have a problem (ha, I have many problems but back to the subject at hand).... I make a card and it may or may not turn out like I wanted etc but then I go to send it or give it and I just can't bear to hand write anything in it--like I will ruin the card if I sign my name or put a note on it. I'm just curious if I am the only one who has this problem. So instead I will send a little note or make sure it has my return address label on the envelope or do a font on the computer but I just can't hand write in it for fear of ruining the look I set out to achieve. Am I the only one or is there a support group out there for those of us afraid to write in our cards? ;)

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given. I just wanted to say that you're not alone. I often feel like I've spoiled the cards I put so much time and effort into by my less than perfect handwriting and lame messages I write inside... everything I say seems so boring and repetitive. I wish I had the ability to write messages that are really unique, heartfelt, amusing... whatever the occasion calls for. Sigh... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

when i am stumped for a message i will sometimes search for a quote that is appropriate.
Reply With Quote Likes