Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2005, 07:05 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie

Hi all! Just found your site a few days ago, a friend introduced me to it and can I say how addicting it is already. Guess I should introduce myself. I am Pat, in my mid to late 40's female, an American living in Britain and married to a Brit. Have only recently found out about Rubber stamping and have really gotten into it lately and enjoy the hours of fun it gives me. Through an American friend I have been introduced to Stampin Up and boy do I wish they were over here. Guess my husband wouldn't though.LOL I have had to resort to trying to find stamps on Ebay and when any Stampin up ones are on offer I usually jump for them. I also enjoy the House Mouses and have a small growing collection of them also. I really love all your ideas and my friend has just recently introduced me to the One sheet wonder technique. I saw in your galleries all your wonderful ideas and templates. Wow!!!!! So you lot inspired me yesterday to do my own. So far I have 5 sheets of card that are now stamped and ready to be converted into cards. I did manage to get one lot done today. But no where near as professional as all of yours. Like I said I am still a beginner. So any tips and hints wouldn't go amiss.
Anyway, thanks for letting me join and I look forward to visiting and getting to know you all too.
Pat
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Welcome, Pat
the best advice I can give is just keep haging around here, the talent seems to rub off on to everyone! and never be shy about trying something new. ;-)
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Welcome from Oregon. Glad you found this site. It is awesome. You will get tons of ideas daily.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Hi, Pat! Welcome from a Texas stamper. I look forward to running into you again in the forums as we learn all the latest in stampin'. It's amazing the talent and experience that these ladies (and gentlemen) have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 09:25 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Dear Pat,
Welcome to you from SE KANSAS!
Would love to sit and have a scone w/you! But alas, a slice of cherry pie at my house today will have to suffice!~
God bless you,
DeborahSue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks for the lovely welcome.

Thanks everyone for the lovely welcome. Cherry pie sounds really yummy!!! And I hope some of the talent here rubs off onto me. I can sure use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #7  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

A big GEORGIA welcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cool

Welcome from sunny (finally) California...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #9  
Sassy Shani

Hi Pat...welcome to SCS. Enjoy yourself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 08:04 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

WELCOME PAT! From Spokane Washington, I'm a Pat also, my user name is Joelyn. Welcome to SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again all. I have been busy practicing one sheet wonders today. But nowhere near as good as any that you all do. Still need more practice. I checked out the challenges pages today and Wow!!!! I am off on holiday this week but down with a cold so not doing too much, other than surfing and stamping. I am gonna need more time from work if I am gonna get half as good as you all at this card making. I am really impressed. Thanks for letting me join.
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 04:47 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Hello Pat!
I feel kinda funny welcoming you to SCS, since I'm new, too, and this is my first post, but... Welcome! I couldn't resist saying hi to a fellow American in Britain. Well.. I used to live in England. I was there for a year and a half, and it definitely feels like my "other" home. I didn't actually get involved with stamping until after I came home, and then I jumped right in and became a Stampin' Up demonstrator. And I love it! Whereabouts in England are you? London was my home for 18 months. I have been looking for England- (and especially London) themed stamps, and would you believe they are not that prolific? France and Paris seem to be the thing! I wish SU would do a set! Although in one of the recent SU demonstrator publications (ok, it was Feb), they talked about expanding the company internationally. So hopefully you won't have to scrounge Ebay for too long!

~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branwen
Hello Pat!
I feel kinda funny welcoming you to SCS, since I'm new, too, and this is my first post, but... Welcome! I couldn't resist saying hi to a fellow American in Britain. Well.. I used to live in England. I was there for a year and a half, and it definitely feels like my "other" home. I didn't actually get involved with stamping until after I came home, and then I jumped right in and became a Stampin' Up demonstrator. And I love it! Whereabouts in England are you? London was my home for 18 months. I have been looking for England- (and especially London) themed stamps, and would you believe they are not that prolific? France and Paris seem to be the thing! I wish SU would do a set! Although in one of the recent SU demonstrator publications (ok, it was Feb), they talked about expanding the company internationally. So hopefully you won't have to scrounge Ebay for too long!

~Shannon
Hi Shannon, I live in Essex, So not to far from London actually. We can hop on the train and be there in a half an hour. Love living here. I am going on my 9th year now. I have dual citizenship now. We tend to travel alot more than I ever did before moving here. We recently visited Cornwall and I really would love to move there. Beautiful!!! I have friends on another web site and one of the girls I think has just become a SU demonstrator and she has gotten me into rubber stamping. Love the SU stamps. So versatile in what you can do with them. I do wish they would get them over here. But more than likely it will be someplace I am not.LOL Judikins has a cube stamp with Brit stuff on them. I have seen a few on Ebay that are of tower bridge, buses, Big ben and the likes. A few tudor house ones, but they are a bit dark looking and not as detailed as I would like them to be or sketchy if they can't detail them right. I do know one Rubber stamp shop in London and it is called Blade Rubber. They carry some different stamps. I can get you their web site if you are interested. They may carry some English stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #14  
PAPER SCAPER

Just wanted to welcome you to the site and say sorry you don't have Stampin Up over there but maybe some day it'll happen. This site is great I know you'll enjoy it.
Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampingpat
Hi Shannon, I live in Essex, So not to far from London actually. We can hop on the train and be there in a half an hour. Love living here. I am going on my 9th year now. I have dual citizenship now. We tend to travel alot more than I ever did before moving here. We recently visited Cornwall and I really would love to move there. Beautiful!!! I have friends on another web site and one of the girls I think has just become a SU demonstrator and she has gotten me into rubber stamping. Love the SU stamps. So versatile in what you can do with them. I do wish they would get them over here. But more than likely it will be someplace I am not.LOL Judikins has a cube stamp with Brit stuff on them. I have seen a few on Ebay that are of tower bridge, buses, Big ben and the likes. A few tudor house ones, but they are a bit dark looking and not as detailed as I would like them to be or sketchy if they can't detail them right. I do know one Rubber stamp shop in London and it is called Blade Rubber. They carry some different stamps. I can get you their web site if you are interested. They may carry some English stamps.
I have not been to Essex, but have done some day trips to East Sussex--Brighton, Eastbourne... I wanted to go to Cornwall (to see Tintagel, as I'm very fond of Arthurian Legend), but ended up going to York instead, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I love watching the scenery from the train. All the places I haven't visited yet just gives me more reasons to return! lol I would love the link to Blade Rubber. I'm planning on a New Year's trip to London (I'm going through withdrawl!!), so I may just have to put that shop on the itinerary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I have not been to Essex, but have done some day trips to East Sussex--Brighton, Eastbourne... I wanted to go to Cornwall (to see Tintagel, as I'm very fond of Arthurian Legend), but ended up going to York instead, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I love watching the scenery from the train. All the places I haven't visited yet just gives me more reasons to return! lol I would love the link to Blade Rubber. I'm planning on a New Year's trip to London (I'm going through withdrawl!!), so I may just have to put that shop on the itinerary!
Hi again, here is their web site.
http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/onlinesales/shop.php
I love York. Hubby and I take coach trips all over the place and we have visited there a few times. Really old and lovely there.
If you would be interested we have put up a web page of some of our trips.
http://www.btinternet.com/~b.platt/index.html
Hubby has a bit of a sense of humor on some of the stuff. I am the one that takes the photos most of the time. Brighton is another lovely place to visit. I haven't been to Eastbourne though. Tintagel is a definate on the list to see one day. I finally got to see Stonehenge on one of our trips.
What part of the US are you living in now? I originally come from Indiana. Was born in the northern part but loved the southern part. I lived near Brown County and it was a really pretty spot to live. I do miss the trees there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Welcome to SCS from a fellow stamper in PA.

Member # 24813
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Hi again, here is their web site.
http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/onlinesales/shop.php
I love York. Hubby and I take coach trips all over the place and we have visited there a few times. Really old and lovely there.
If you would be interested we have put up a web page of some of our trips.
http://www.btinternet.com/~b.platt/index.html
Hubby has a bit of a sense of humor on some of the stuff. I am the one that takes the photos most of the time. Brighton is another lovely place to visit. I haven't been to Eastbourne though. Tintagel is a definate on the list to see one day. I finally got to see Stonehenge on one of our trips.
What part of the US are you living in now? I originally come from Indiana. Was born in the northern part but loved the southern part. I lived near Brown County and it was a really pretty spot to live. I do miss the trees there.
Hiya Pat,
I visited your webpage--and got instantly homesick! I miss that little island! Your pictures are gorgeous. You definitely have a way with that camera, from picking up the silliness of your cats (who remind me a lot of ours--we have three tigers and three black-and-whites in varying degrees of craziness), to the silhouetted birds and flowers and postcard-quality landscapes. Thank you so much for sharing, I really enjoyed them. I've been wanting to go to Stonehenge, Stratford-upon-Avon, and others, but I think I'll have to tackle those one trip at a time. My first trip over was a whirl-wind tour of Eastbourne, Bath, Edinburgh and London with a couple college friends, which was a lot of fun. Eastbourne was pretty when I was there--just getting into bloom, and the view off the chalk cliffs was something (especially with the wind-gnarled trees, which I didn't get a picture of due to technical issues with my new camera!). I used a few of those photos in my college art class.

Thank you also for sending that link for Blade Rubber--I will definitely have to stop by there whilst I'm "in town" visiting.

I live in Connecticut, now. Very picturesque, with all the old colonial houses and stone walls. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the States. Although, at the rate everything is getting developed over here now, I'm beginning to wonder. (There's a development going in just down the street from us, which is sad as the reason we moved here was because there weren't many people around!) Oh well. I think that's enough of a novel for one day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Hiya Pat,
I visited your webpage--and got instantly homesick! I miss that little island! Your pictures are gorgeous. You definitely have a way with that camera, from picking up the silliness of your cats (who remind me a lot of ours--we have three tigers and three black-and-whites in varying degrees of craziness), to the silhouetted birds and flowers and postcard-quality landscapes. Thank you so much for sharing, I really enjoyed them. I've been wanting to go to Stonehenge, Stratford-upon-Avon, and others, but I think I'll have to tackle those one trip at a time. My first trip over was a whirl-wind tour of Eastbourne, Bath, Edinburgh and London with a couple college friends, which was a lot of fun. Eastbourne was pretty when I was there--just getting into bloom, and the view off the chalk cliffs was something (especially with the wind-gnarled trees, which I didn't get a picture of due to technical issues with my new camera!). I used a few of those photos in my college art class.

Thank you also for sending that link for Blade Rubber--I will definitely have to stop by there whilst I'm "in town" visiting.

I live in Connecticut, now. Very picturesque, with all the old colonial houses and stone walls. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the States. Although, at the rate everything is getting developed over here now, I'm beginning to wonder. (There's a development going in just down the street from us, which is sad as the reason we moved here was because there weren't many people around!) Oh well. I think that's enough of a novel for one day!
Hi again Shannon,
Thanks for your kind words about our photos and web site. I really do enjoy the little trips we take visiting all over the country and Europe too.
Never been to Connecticut. Sounds really nice. I know what you mean about developements. We used to have a big field where we could go walking in and now it is a giant houseing estate. London is starting to spread out and I think we are next on the list to be swallowed up by it.LOL I will have to watch out for a trip to Eastbourne it sounds really nice. I can relate to the technical issues with cameras.LOL Mine seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes.
Blade Rubber is located almost dead centre and down a little street to the British Museum. I can usually find the Museum and then can find their shop.LOL If you are into Beads there is a nice bead shop near covent garden that is worth a look. We are really craft deprived for shops around here. I do most of my shopping on the internet as that way I have several shops to choose from.
Well must dash. Must get ready for work today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Another Newbie

I couldn't resist reading all of your threads. What a wonderful garden you have and a truly lovely home. My name is Michelle and I am a newbie myself. I live in Tennessee but was born in Kentucky, though in my past life I had to live in England. (I don't really believe in past lives.) I have never "been across the pond", but I am itching to go visit because my infatuation with castles and knights in shining armor is reaching lunacy. I have screen saver castles, castles in my "favorites" for the web, a dragon tatoo and SHELVES of romance novels that transport me to Regency England daily. I've even made a London tour outline for when I get to go. Though I may have thrown that away in one of my, "Michelle you are a grown woman, you should concentrate your energys somewhere else" moments. My only claim to fame with England is that I am the 32nd direct descendant of Edward I of England Plantagenet. "Longshanks" for all of you Braveheart fans. My loving grandmother is HUGE into genealogy and discovered this fact SEVERAL years ago. So... getting back to stamping, my next SU buy will be the "Snow Globe" stamp set. WHAT POTENTIAL!!! Long story short, I am excited to be here and stamping and would love to keep in-touch. ;)

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Welcome to the site from kind of a newbie...sounds like you are already addicted

[email protected]

"The joys of parents are secret, and so are their griefs and fears"

-Frances Bacon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Hi again Shannon,
Thanks for your kind words about our photos and web site. I really do enjoy the little trips we take visiting all over the country and Europe too.
Never been to Connecticut. Sounds really nice. I know what you mean about developements. We used to have a big field where we could go walking in and now it is a giant houseing estate. London is starting to spread out and I think we are next on the list to be swallowed up by it.LOL I will have to watch out for a trip to Eastbourne it sounds really nice. I can relate to the technical issues with cameras.LOL Mine seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes.
Blade Rubber is located almost dead centre and down a little street to the British Museum. I can usually find the Museum and then can find their shop.LOL If you are into Beads there is a nice bead shop near covent garden that is worth a look. We are really craft deprived for shops around here. I do most of my shopping on the internet as that way I have several shops to choose from.
Well must dash. Must get ready for work today.
Hello Pat,
Its amazing how cities grow. There was just a story on the news a couple weeks ago about the traffic around Washington DC and how the traffic jams used to start just outside DC, but now, with all the residential developments, the jams start up to 30 miles away! And rush hour is ridiculously long. Its just crazy. Where are all these people coming from that everywhere is expanding? You'd think that populations should be decreasing *somewhere*, but I don't know where.

I don't think I ever saw the bead shop in Covent Garden (I always loved to see the entertainers!), but I do know there's a nice little one somewhere around Carnaby Street, next to a little restaurant I'd been to a couple times. There really aren't that many craft stores over there. I remember mourning the fact that there were no Michael's or Joann's when I was there--though I did find one store that was similar, tho I don't remember the name, but it was far away and inconvenient to get to. I was happy enough going into HomeBase to get plants. And not to mention Ikea... which we now have one here in CT! Yay! (My parents think I'm crazy! I don't know why... lol)

~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle*My*Belle
I couldn't resist reading all of your threads. What a wonderful garden you have and a truly lovely home. My name is Michelle and I am a newbie myself. I live in Tennessee but was born in Kentucky, though in my past life I had to live in England. (I don't really believe in past lives.) I have never "been across the pond", but I am itching to go visit because my infatuation with castles and knights in shining armor is reaching lunacy. I have screen saver castles, castles in my "favorites" for the web, a dragon tatoo and SHELVES of romance novels that transport me to Regency England daily. I've even made a London tour outline for when I get to go. Though I may have thrown that away in one of my, "Michelle you are a grown woman, you should concentrate your energys somewhere else" moments. My only claim to fame with England is that I am the 32nd direct descendant of Edward I of England Plantagenet. "Longshanks" for all of you Braveheart fans. My loving grandmother is HUGE into genealogy and discovered this fact SEVERAL years ago. So... getting back to stamping, my next SU buy will be the "Snow Globe" stamp set. WHAT POTENTIAL!!! Long story short, I am excited to be here and stamping and would love to keep in-touch. ;)

Michelle
Hi Michelle!
Welcome to SCS! I must say I could relate to quite a bit in your post. An aunt once told me she thinks I lived in England in a past life. It's probably the only way they could rationalize my obsession! I, too, have collections of wizards, dragons, castles, knights, and ladies--from posters and paintings, to pewter and other figurines. I've several books on Arthurian legend, as well as English travel books, and a small favourites folder. A modest collection of those historical romance novels (altho that shelf is mostly christine feehan or sherillyn kenyon at the moment--the rest packed up to make room for my scrapbooking books and papers!)

I can't even count the number of "tours" i've made--of both London and the UK, the air fare comparisons, all the little details of the trips. See, you're not alone! hehe You should definitely go visit though; you'd love it.

That's awesome about your lineage back to Edward I. My great-aunt was also big into geneology and had traced our family back several hundred years in England. I think it was she who initially sparked my interest in England--she'd visited several times, and we always had Tea in the afternoon whenever we were together.

Anyway... what SU snow globe set are you thinking of? There's only one that I know of, but that was discontinued last year. Or are you getting it off Ebay? My next SU purchase includes the white gel pen and vintage brads. Not yet sure what else, but I've gotta save for the new colours and stamp sets!
Have fun!
~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I think I just realized what set you are talking about--the one with the gumball machine! It does look intriguing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Michelle and Shannon!
It is neat living here, but as Shannon says, no Michaels or Joanns here. Or Walmart! I do miss that store.LOL I am finding shopping on the internet to be a bit easier now and more things are available. The poor postman though isn't very happy with all the packages he has to carry. Oh well! I am keeping him employed.LOL
I do have a few of the SU stamps and have just placed an order for some more from my friend. Will be anxiously awaiting their arrival.LOL It is the shipping and customs that are killers on ordering from the US though.
Michelle, we are going to visit a castle tomorrow. It is Leeds Castle down in Kent. We go every year to their big Food and Wine festival. It is one of the few moated castles that I have seen. Some of the castles are a bit disappointing in that they aren't at all like the ones you imagine. They are more like just big houses. Next weekend we are off to Corfe Castle and it is an old ruin. We have been there a few times before and the scenery down there is beautiful. It is an old ruin that sits up on top of a giant hill overlooking the village and the country side. You can see for miles from the top.
I have visited a few old castles, and Buildings. I have a bad habit of petting the buildings.LOL My hubby thinks I am nuts, but I tell him I have never been around something this old before. I am amazed at how some of the buildings are older than our country is (the USA). The best one was in Belgium, in a city called Tournai. It was a tower where King Henry the 8th and his wife Anne Bolen had their honeymoon.
Shannon, have you only been to England? We occasionally take coach trips to other countries over here. One of our favourite cities to visit is Brugge in Belgium. It is a really really old city and I think you both would love it. So pretty!!!! This summer we are off to visit Germany and are going along the Romantic road. Will have to tell you more when we have visited it. But there are supposed to be lots of castles there.
If you do get to visit the Tower in London, one of the really cool things to look out for is the graffiti on the walls. It is well over a couple of hundred years old. The prisoners used to doodle on the walls there.
Michelle, if you do come over, please don't do the whirlwind tour. You will be too jet lagged to enjoy it. You must find a place and stay there for at least a couple of days to really get a taste of it. So if you can, plan to at least spend a month.LOL
My family on my Dad's side mostly come from Kentucky. He is living back there again. I also have a younger sister that lives in Tennessee.
Well I had best go get breakfast. Let me know if you would like some web sites to check out some of the castles. I have most of them in my favourites.LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Veronica, Yup, I think I am big time addicted.LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 04:23 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Another Newbie

Pat, I would love some websites of castles you have visited. I could visit vicarioulsy through you! ;) At least until I get to go. My husband and I have a four year old son, and I can't go without my husband, so I won't be there until my son can deal with sitting for hours in a plane. And I know it's time to move past, but after 9-11 I still feel odd about traveling. I get the impression that Americans are not liked anywhere but America. My fear is that something would happen to me and I won't be here for my husband and son. I know, it's all in my head and I really need to get over it, but I feel just as soon as I get comfortable and let my guard down, something will happen. Just a few quick questions. How do British history books tell of the American Revolution? Do most Brits view us as Yanks or is that another overrated statement? If so, why?

Shannon, It's so nice to see I'm not alone in my "past life" problem. ;) There has been a TV show here on PBS (Public Broadcast System) called Regency House Party and I STAY glued to it. It's a, "Reality" show that asks the particpants to live in a Regency home, dress the part and play the roles. It's GREAT! PBS (in case you don't know) has mind-bending shows like The Teletubbies and Sesame Street. I've seen all of those shows too. ;)
The, "Snow Globe" SU stamp set was new in 2002 but is retired now. Here is the link to the set I was "watching":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

My mother is a new SU demonstrator but I don't think she can get a hold of this stamp. To date, Ebay is the only way I know of to buy retired stamps. But as you can see the price on this particular stamp got quite high. Occasionally I can get a set that is reasonable.

Anyway, I'm off to a baseball game with my son. Thanks for the replys.

Ciao!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Michelle,
Here is the web site of the castle we are visiting tomorrow. Should be a nice day out.

http://www.leeds-castle.com/

I too have a fear of flying. But it is necessary in order to sometimes get where we need to be. I lost a cousin in a plane crash and he knew it was going down. That really bothers me and I think of him everytime I get into one.
I really don't know what they think about the revolutionary war. They have more ummmm ideas of us from the 2nd world war and the politics of today. I try not to go there. There is a different type of attitude over here and some things that are probably viewed on the news here that aren't over there and vice versa. I have found in my travels you will get mean people no matter what, but you also get very very nice people. I try to learn a few words of their language and even though they more than likely can speak perfect English, they can see I am making an effort and they respect that. So we usually end up hitting it off with most people. I feared going to Paris, because I had been told the French hate Americans. That is wrong, as long as you are pleasant and try to speak French, no matter how horrible it is, they are really very nice. So far I have traveled to France, Germany, Belgium, Holland (just the edge) and our Favourite Austria. My husband is pretty fluent in German. We even took a Dutch class a few years ago, so we could speak to the Belgiums, they are really impressed as no one speaks Dutch.LOL A very very hard language to learn. If you visit London. Don't worry, we play a game everytime we go. And it is try to spot the Brit. It is full of tourists. Luckily my Step son lives there and we have learned of the little known places to go and visit there. But like I said it just takes time to get to know these things.
Over here, We Americans are considered loud. And I do get embarrased sometimes when I hear other Americans speaking. So if you want to fit in, speak quickly and softly.LOL Took me almost 6 months to hold a conversation with out saying what??? There is alot you have to get used to.
Well I need to go and start supper. I will look up a few more castles for you later.
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle*My*Belle
... Shannon, It's so nice to see I'm not alone in my "past life" problem. ;) There has been a TV show here on PBS (Public Broadcast System) called Regency House Party and I STAY glued to it. It's a, "Reality" show that asks the particpants to live in a Regency home, dress the part and play the roles. It's GREAT! PBS (in case you don't know) has mind-bending shows like The Teletubbies and Sesame Street. I've seen all of those shows too. ;)
The, "Snow Globe" SU stamp set was new in 2002 but is retired now. Here is the link to the set I was "watching":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

My mother is a new SU demonstrator but I don't think she can get a hold of this stamp. To date, Ebay is the only way I know of to buy retired stamps. But as you can see the price on this particular stamp got quite high. Occasionally I can get a set that is reasonable.
Hey Michelle,

I had heard of that Regency show on PBS, but was never able to catch it. It sounded really interesting. But then, I don't seem able to catch much tv anymore, anyway. I used to watch CSI almost religiously, but that seems to have petered out. (Probably because I've seen all the reruns at least twice by now, and when the new episode came on, i'd only catch the first 15 mins before falling asleep! very sad.) I used to watch PBS with my aunt all the time when I spent summers with her. Usually it was for the Murder Mystery of the evening, Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, or some British production from BBC.

As demonstrators, we can't really acquire any of the retired sets--SU doesn't have them available for purchase, so the only option is to purchase them from someone who has them. There's a forum on the SU demo website where people post for wanted stamp sets. Your mother could probably try inquiring there if anyone or their customers have the set.

~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #30  
Glitter Queen

Hiya Pat,

Your poor postman! But think of all the excercise he gets with walking through the neighborhood with all your parcels! Actually, I had noticed that the postal persons are in fairly good shape over there, since they do so much biking and walking!

So far I have only been to England. I'm not really sure where else I'd like to visit, but I still have a large to-do list for English sites! I can relate to your amazement of the old buildings there. I once visited Oxford, and our tour guide (a student attending Oxford at the time) mentioned that the "new" buildings were built before our country was even born! It was awe-inspiring.
"Michelle, if you do come over, please don't do the whirlwind tour. You will be too jet lagged to enjoy it. You must find a place and stay there for at least a couple of days to really get a taste of it. So if you can, plan to at least spend a month.LOL"
And even a month isn't truly long enough! But you can get all the important stuff in, like the museums, markets, (loved the Portabello Rd and Camden Town markets!), Harrod's Food Hall, and requisite pub lunches and dinners. ;)

I have flown several times since 9/11, and I always get the butterflies in my stomach. I have three favourite parts: take-off (no more waiting for hours in the airport after having gotten there the required 3-4 hours early), landing (the flight is just about over), and taxi-ing into the gate (yay, let me off!). I keep thinking everytime I'll have gotten used to it, and I still gaze out the window like it's my first flight.

Americans are definitely loud, and do have a reputation for being loud. But having ridden on the school rush-hour buses and trains, Americans aren't the only ones to be loud and obnoxious! I can relate to your taking 6 months to hold a conversation without saying "what?" It took me nearly that long myself! I remember having dinner with a friend the first night I was there, and I couldn't understand about half of what he was saying! Talk about feeling dumb! I thought maybe it was just the jet lag, but the next day wasn't much better! The shop I worked at over there would get inter-department requests for stock to get sent to "Mylorda" (soft "r" there). I think it took me over a month to realize that this exotic-sounding place was really just Mail-Order! Doh! Everyone seemed to know what I was talking about whenever I said it, though, so that was fortunate!

~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Ohhhhh Shannon I can relate!LOL The Mylorda.Too funny. They all think we go racing around in parking garages too. I think it is because they watch too many action movies. I finally had to sit down and put the radio talk show on to understand their conversations. My husband used to have the job I have now working in a school, and I would go in and give him a hand. Well at break time everyone would stop for coffee and chat. I was so embarrassed because I couldn't understand a word they said. I was okay one on one, but a group!!!! I would just sit there smile sweetly and nod.LOL And they say we have a common language.
They also have some different words for things along with spellings. It can get quite funny at times. I had one old male teacher come in wanting to know if I supplied rubbers.LOL He was actually asking for Erasers!!!! I waited till he left the room and then proceeded to fall off my chair laughing. And this whole business of Chips being Crisps and fries being chips and cookies being biscuits. Ohhhh talk about confusing.LOL I still have a problem, but luckily the Brits around me know what I am talking about.LOL
I agree a month is way to short, but I have met some that spend a day here then a day there and another day in Paris. That is no way to see the countries and get to know what they are like. You spend all your time traveling from place to place. Everyone thinks Britain is a small country, and it is, but we have one of the worse road systems in the civilized world in my opinion. They have a ring road around London, and that is always snarled up with traffic, unless you would like to travel at around 3 am. Better to go by train if possible, and they are on time and running. The buses are good, but slow.
Well, hubby is up out of bed so I should start getting ready. We are off to Leeds castle today and it is looking like rain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Pat, I can relate to the whole "nodding and smiling" thing--I did a lot of that over there initially. But by the end, I fit in pretty well. I only had a "faint accent" before I returned home. (An observation made by an English friend-of-a-friend.) Though when I got home, everyone thought I was English, which was fun. (They still like to "take the piss" at work even now. hehe That phrase took me a little while to adopt!) It drove my family crazy because for the first month I was back, I referred to things by their British names (trainers, trousers (not pants!!), and I don't remember what else now.) That's the funny about the rubbers though. "Fags" as cigarettes was another one that I just could not get used to.

Quote:

Everyone thinks Britain is a small country, and it is, but we have one of the worse road systems in the civilized world in my opinion. They have a ring road around London, and that is always snarled up with traffic, unless you would like to travel at around 3 am. Better to go by train if possible, and they are on time and running. The buses are good, but slow.
Not only are the roads narrow and busy...but the drivers are maniacs! Even the bus drivers! I thought for sure one time that the bus was going to tip over going round a roundabout! Later I learned that those buses can lean farther than we can without falling over. Crazy! But you're right, there's not much traffic at 3 am. Its amazing how short a trip can be off-hours! The train is great, except the commuters at rush hour. Or around a big event. I once went to Cardiff the same time they were playing France in football. The train was packed with people wearing lots of red clothes, jerseys, face paint, flags, and everything else. Although once the game started, Cardiff was like a ghost town!

~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Shannon, ohhhhh The football supporters, I forgot all about those. We don't go anywhere near a train if there is a match on.LOL Also don't like taking the last night train from London. That is the worst especially on a Friday or Saturday night. I agree totally with the maniac drivers too. And the bad thing is there are no police around to stop them from being maniacs.
We had a nice time yesterday at the Castle. It was a bit scaled down this year and not so many stall holders were there. Even so I did managed to get a few goodies. Found some wild garlic cheese that is so yummy!!! A few nice bottles of wine and some strawberries that Hubby polished off before we made it home. We had a sausage roll that was a bit different, the sausages had cloves in them and were really unusual, nice actually.
I agree about picking up the words. My dad just loves talking to me now and saying that I am definately turning English.LOL What amazed me, once we were hiking on an Austrian Mountain when an English family said hello, we got to chatting and she said you are from Essex. I said actually I was an American, but I do live in Essex. Wonder what word I said to make her think that.LOL Yes some of the words they have for things and certain phrases still make me laugh. I keep learning new things everyday here.LOL
Well must get going and off to work. Have a great day.
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Another Newbie

Pat and Shannon, I read your threads Sunday morning before church and giggled all through the service. Do you have rubbers?? I even tried to re-tell the story to co-workers and, having just read it again, I totally botched it up! It is truly a FUNNY story. I would LOVE to visit for a month. Let's see... England for 10 days, Scotland for 10 days, Whales for 10 days and a few days for sleep and fillers. How WONDERFUL would that be?? I'm easy to please. ;) Pat, did you get any pictures from Leeds Castle? I'd love to see them. Oh also, your cat pictures, they are almost as funny as your little statements for the pics. I giggled at those too. Well. I'm off to exercise and then read some. Chitty-chatt with you both later.

Michelle
PS-Pat and Shannon,
I love to laugh, you should feel free to tell me any goofy story at anytime! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Another Newbie

Welcome from Surrey, B.C. Canada - you will soon be addicted!!!

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Heya Pat,
I have taken the last tube in london on a friday/sat. There aren't too many people left on them, but the ones left are definitely a shade dodgy. I remember one of my college (uni?) trips to London with a few friends, we ended up on the Tube during rush hour. Of course, we all thought it was a grand adventure, everyone pushing and squishing into the carriages, since we were on holiday and not having to deal with it every day! (Boy did that enthusiasm change once I had to fight it twice daily!)

The wild garlic cheese sounds good! I used to get the sausage rolls from Gregg's for breakfast on my way to work--those were really good. I especially miss Cornish Pasties. Nothing like that here.

That's funny how that English family thought you were from Essex. Well, you are. Sort of. You know. I think my accent is sort of a mosh, though, since I no longer have a stable English source. Oh well.

Well, its getting late, so I think i will close.
Take care.
~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Michelle, I love to laugh too. LOL I do remember another incident with the teachers. The drama teacher asked me a question and I answered two and put up two fingers to indicate two. Well the whole room roared with laughter. Later I found out that the two finger gester is the same as the one finger salute in America. Ooops!!!! One of the teachers said that they had waited ages to give him that salute. LOL You can do the v as in peace, but if you turn it around it is rude over here.LOL

Heidi, I am already addicted.LOL

Shannon, I don't like traveling by tube if I can help it. Hubby and I prefer going by Double decker. Top front seat too. We are big kids at heart. I am getting pretty good now on my directions in London. I have though lost all sense of direction since moving here. It is so weird, because back home I had a really good sense of direction. I hate being underground. Remember the San Fransico Earthquake and I just don't want to be there.
Ohhhhhhh you had to mention Cornwall!!!! I have recently traveled to St. Ives in Cornwall, and have totally fallen in love with the place. The absolute best cornish pasties too!!! I keep hoping we will win the lottery and be able to move down there. That is a place Michelle should visit.
Well I had best go for now. Had a busy day at work and this stupid cold is starting to take it's toll on me. So best be going to bed soon and try to get some rest. I hope you all have a great day or night what ever time you are when you read this.
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Another Newbie

Shannon and Pat,
Both of you are making me JEALOUS! :( I WANT TO BE THERE!! Let's see, what have I done recently that would make both of you envious? (I'm being facetious when I say that.) I turned the Air Conditioner on because it is 90 degrees with about 85% humidity. I've been out to water the grass and felt like BAIT for all of the mosquitos. When I finish exercising, I have to wring out my t-shirt. I too deal with bad drivers. Actually, there are two different drivers here. The wealthy who can afford the $2.15 a gallon for gas and who are driving with the AC on. Still driving badly, but not in a foul mood because of the heat. Then, there are the poor saps like me who have all 4 windows down and the sunroof open. People like me are in a foul mood because of the heat and drive like maniacs to get back to an air conditioned place. Ahhhhhh... Southern Tennessee in the summer...I am beginning to feel like I could move to somewhere else in the northern hemisphere. Somewhere up near the North Sea. ;) Do you know what is a special pastry around here? Fried Oreo's. I'm not kidding. I had them at Dollywood last summer. We aren't to sophisticated with our treats. I'd love to try some of the pastries you two are talking about. Alas, I guess I will have to settle for day old Brioche with lemon curd. I can't remember what Hugh Jackman movie I saw that in. But because of that movie I actually tried it and LOVE it. I have to go to Chattanooga for Brioche but it's SO worth it. Anyway, I'm off to exercise again while my son is in the tub. Later taters.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Michelle, Those fried oreos sound like they come from Scotland. They deep fry everything up there. They have Deep fried pizza, Mars Bars, ice cream and all sorts. They are a bit different.LOL I used to live in Indiana and I remember the heat and the humidity and I don't miss either of those two. We occasionally get a really hot spell here and it is hard to cope with it as we aren't used to it at all. No air conditioning either when it does happen.
Your state has the Great Smokey Mountains!!!! And I am already jealous as you lot have Walmart there and I don't. I miss that store. Also all the neat crafty shops too. And biggest of all is you have Stampin up and we don't. So see plenty to be jealous of both ways.
At times it is like going backwards to live here. You would think with the age of the country it would be all modern and the likes. But most of it isn't. Kinda strange at times. Gets even more so when you visit parts of Europe. Nope believe me living in the US has some big advantages.

Well must get going time for work.
Have a great day.
Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Hiya Michelle and Pat,

It looks like I have a lot of conversation to catch up on!

I actually don't mind travelling by Tube too much. Mostly because I don't get car- (or bus!) sick in it! And once you get out of central London, they're mostly all above ground, anyway. Its quicker (except in rush hour, when it may take 4 or 5 trains to get on one!), and you get to look at all the artwork in the tube stations. Although, going by bus, especially if you're touring, you get the better views.

I get lost pretty easy in London. It's not really that hard, though. I relied on my then-boyfriend to lead the way, since he was really familiar with London and a lot of the backstreets and shortcuts. (His father was a black-cab driver--and those things are fun to ride in!) Although, I've gotten myself lost taking the bus. Twice. Never on the Tube. Maybe that's why I like the tube better? lol

Michelle, you only pay $2.15 for gas? I am jealous!! Its $2.25 up here! (Or was last time I filled up!) I've never actually had a fried oreo, but I've had fried ice cream before. That just defies my understanding. But it was good! You should definitely try a cornish pasty if you ever visit England. But don't get the ones from Gregg's Bakery (a large bakery chain, like Dunkin' Donuts is) or out of the grocery store for your first experience. Go to a proper pastry shop where they make them there. They are sooo good. I had a lamb one in York that was sooo good. (I always had the Gregg's ones before, which are good, but just not quite the same. And of course, in Cornwall--that's where they come from!)

Pat, does your house have screens in the windows? All the houses/flats I was ever in over there didn't have them. It was very strange, since we have them here to keep insects and other aviary creatures out. I was airing out my flat one time, had all the windows open everywhere (crank-kind that open out to the side, not the "regular" kind that you push up), and when I went into the bedroom, there was a little bird sitting on my window sill. Inside the flat. Of course, it saw me and panicked and flew straight into the middle, non-opening window pane, and then flew around the room whilst emptying its little birdie bowels all over the room. I finally managed to chase it out the french windows in the living room, after having talked, coo'ed, and waved my arms like a mad-woman at it to encourage it to leave!

Anyway! Hope your days have gone well and weren't too blisteringly hot! (I actually didn't mind going to work today, just so I could be in the airconditioning all day!)

~Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes