Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've decided...

I've decided that I'll no longer write up detailed 'recipes' for the cards I upload. Recently, I've spent a lot of time getting down every detail only to have the card viewed a handful of times.
I really don't mean to sound 'whiny', but it really no longer seems worth the effort. I'll still be happy to provide details to anyone if they PM me.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, your gallery is getting more views than mine is. (that's not a complaint, just an observation)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just to let you know I totally {heart} your work! You are so talented and I would love to have a pinky finger's share of your ability!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by afancycatView Post
Just to let you know I totally {heart} your work! You are so talented and I would love to have a pinky finger's share of your ability!!
Yeah!! What she said!!!!

BTW-I understand how you feel!

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't really need specific details. I personally would just like to know colors used and stamps. If it has a unique technique, you might tell where those directions are. I don't know about anyone else, but it's taking me longer and longer to leave remarks. If I go in at about 6AM, I can get through a few pages pretty fast, but from afternoon until late evening it takes forever. Maybe my computer is just slow, but I can spend a lot of time waiting for my remarks to post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

if i have limited time, i'll just post the cards with a few details - i figure, it's better to get them posted even with limited details than not at all - i agree with you, if people really want to know, they can PM - it's easy to do and it lets you know that they truly are interested in knowing HOW you created your card - i just usually browse and look at the pictures - here and there i'll read the details, but the pics of the cards are what gets me inspired!

i think it's your choice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know what you mean about the views, there seems to be fewer and fewer as we go along. I think there are just so many cards to look at that a person gets overwhelmed. I know I had many more views in the past than I seem to get now. I just think people are busier and do not have the time. I have looked at your cards many, many times and they are extremely well done. I would agree with you, just put down the basics, (stamps, inks, papers) and if someone wants more they can ask. I know I stopped long ago writing down everything. Thanks for sharing the work that you do, it is awesome.
Sharon
My Stampin' UP! Site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I've decided that I'll no longer write up detailed 'recipes' for the cards I upload. Recently, I've spent a lot of time getting down every detail only to have the card viewed a handful of times.
I really don't mean to sound 'whiny', but it really no longer seems worth the effort. I'll still be happy to provide details to anyone if they PM me.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
I don't blame you. I'm in the camp that thinks most cards are self-explanatory as they are anyway.

I love your gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

So many times I try to read the recipe to find out who is the maker of the stamp becuase I have viewed/fallen in love with their card! And then I see there isn't a recipe, but I take that as the oppty to ask the poster who makes this. But it is rare that I get a reply so I think in a way it's nice to see the full recipe posts. It is time consuming but I really appreciate it when posters include it! Just my humble 2c worth :-D

And ditto, your gallery is amazing and I love the cards that you make! Your creativity and talent is appreciated!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not big on adding a buncha details, either, Elaine. I'm a simple girl, so I'll just list basics. Sometimes, I add a little more blahblah, though. It all depends on how I feel. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I'm just happy you share your beautiful cards period! ( :
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am creatively challenged. I CASE everything (which is why I don't have my own gallery - not an original thought in my head) so it's very helpful to me when I see details. For instance, your Little Blintz card - I appreciate the fact you said you used 1.5"squares.

On the other hand, I don't have hours to spend daily on viewing and that's what it would take to see all the cards. Just know that your efforts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense. I rarely look at the galleries now, there is not enough time in the day. When I do it is because I am looking for a particular thing.

I think just naming the stamp set is sufficient info, either on a blog or in a gallery. Everything else is usually obvious unless it is some new toy.

ps. your work is always lovely!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand why you don't want to take the time to type out the details. But be aware, There are SCSers that will not leave comments because the op did not provide details.
I personally always put in details. I don't get many comments either but I do get views.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 03:29 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Most cards are self explainatory, minus colors and stamps. It is very time consuming to enter all the dets. Good for you on your decision to make your life easier.

Buy the way your gallery rocks.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I find that I no longer look at the latest additions to the gallery because there are just soooo many of them and so many of them are stamps that I don't have or don't plan on purchasing. When I first started reading this site and looking at the gallery, it was mostly SU products. Now there are virtually hundreds of different stamp companies represented and I find it just takes too long to go through page after page in the gallery looking for SU cards. Not that I don't love some of the other products out there. I purchase PTI products from time to time. But SU is mainly what I have and is mainly what I'm looking for on this site. the cards that I favorite are usually cards using SU products because that is what I have.
That being said, I appreciate it when the basic recipe is given on a card. I usually will not favorite or comment on a card with no info or directions to a blog. If I really like a card and it has a recipe, I will often go to the blog to get further info but will not bother if there is not at least some basic info.
JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I am with you...completely!

I always, always, always fill out the stamp set, ink, paper, accessories, etc but I don't find it necessary to journal about my experience making the card. Plus, I don't do anything fancy that anyone would care about anyway! ;)

Really though, I feel like if I provide the basic info that is called for in the recipe, someone can just look at the card and CASE it for the better if they like something about it.

I guess I don't understand why people get so worked up about those that do not write a narrative.

JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Heart, I love your cards!! And I completely understand not wanting to take the time to put in all of the details. I haven't been very prolific lately but as I pick up speed, it will be nice to know I'm in good company if I don't include all the little details.

I will include, and like always to see, what the stamp sets are and maybe the DP if it's special. If the photo doesn't make it obvious, it's good to know the major colors of cardstock. Also, I'd include a note about anything unusual that isn't obvious to the viewer.

But I completely agree ~ if anyone needs to know more, they can PM the person.

It really is time-consuming to list everything and I sometimes don't even remember what I used.

I like seeing your post because I often fill it all in (every imaginable item!) because I'm just compulsive about it... but I'm going to shake that off and enjoy a little freedom and less tedious uploads!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a friend who doesn't really CASE a card; she literally copies it. Same stamp, DP, bling, colors, etc. She would need a complete description of how a card was done. I just print out a card I like in b&w and use it as a starting point. As I mentioned before, I would like to know which stamp (I might want to buy one like it), but not much else. I admit that I really enjoy reading some of the stories that people write. Some are interesting, some make me laugh & some make me cry. But it doesn't have anything to do with whether I make the card or not. IMHO I think you should put only what you feel comfortable with. And I myself love to look at all the cards, not just the SU ones. They're all beautiful in their own way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I find that I no longer look at the latest additions to the gallery because there are just soooo many of them and so many of them are stamps that I don't have or don't plan on purchasing. When I first started reading this site and looking at the gallery, it was mostly SU products. Now there are virtually hundreds of different stamp companies represented and I find it just takes too long to go through page after page in the gallery looking for SU cards. Not that I don't love some of the other products out there. I purchase PTI products from time to time. But SU is mainly what I have and is mainly what I'm looking for on this site. the cards that I favorite are usually cards using SU products because that is what I have.
That being said, I appreciate it when the basic recipe is given on a card. I usually will not favorite or comment on a card with no info or directions to a blog. If I really like a card and it has a recipe, I will often go to the blog to get further info but will not bother if there is not at least some basic info.
JMHO
Can you just go into the SU gallery? That way, you won't have to go through everything looking for SU stuff. I love the fact that we can go in by stamp company and find things.

I really appreciate details on things in the gallery. I will rarely comment on a card where the person didn't post details on it. We all learn so much from SCS and everyone else, and those details are one way of sharing.

Happy heart, I love your work. I think the problem with no comments is a widespread one because of the size of the gallery (it's wonderful to have a lot there) and the lack of time for most of us. Challenge cards seem to get lots of comments, but a lot of great cards go without comments. Sometimes, I have seen cards with few comments that lots of people have favorited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I totally agree with you on this. And as a side note.....I usually send a PM with any specific questions I have to certain cards and the recipes......

Thanks for letting us know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, but... I will say that if it's an image that I am not familiar with, the first thing I look for is who the stamp company is. Unless it's a new technique, the rest is pretty much a no brainer as far as colors, embellies etc. Your gallery is fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to agree...if the stamp company is listed then I am a happy camper, but when they don't list it and I really like it, sometimes I have pm'd them and they never return the answer...very frustrating.

My Blog

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Default I'm with you!!

I agree with you. I have unintentionally quit uploading cards because of the time involved. I have a 56k modem, I know I live in the middle of a black hole, so it takes forever for a card to upload and then forever for the info page to post. It has taken me half an hour after making the card itself to upload a card to the gallery.

The process:
  1. Make card
  2. Try to write down all the details (much easier if you do simple cards or plan your cards before you actually make them, which I don't do either)
  3. Take a photo or scan of card
  4. Edit photo or scan and add SU copywrite tag if SU
  5. Log on to Internet, SCS, gallery upload page, three or four minutes
  6. Upload the card, wait several minutes for it to upload
  7. Enter all the information details
  8. Sit and try to remember the things I forgot to write down
  9. Post the information page, wait a few minutes for it to upload
I feel guilty if I don't remember some details because of previous posts by others that feel every detail should be posted. I personally am usually interested in information in this order: the stamp company, name of stamp if known, name of technique used if any, like chalks on Versamark, polished stone etc. Most other details I can figure out from looking at the card.

I feel like if someone wants to write every detail, that's wonderful. I just don't have the time or patience to do it. If someone wants more information they can pm me and I can try and remember what I used. If someone needs such minute detail as the company name of the brads I used, I'm sorry. I don't keep them all organized by company other than SU.

Thanks for speaking up!! I'm right with you!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegboView Post
I am creatively challenged. I CASE everything (which is why I don't have my own gallery - not an original thought in my head) so it's very helpful to me when I see details. For instance, your Little Blintz card - I appreciate the fact you said you used 1.5"squares.

On the other hand, I don't have hours to spend daily on viewing and that's what it would take to see all the cards. Just know that your efforts are appreciated.
I am also "crafty" not "creative". I can copy but no WAY can I come up with it by myself. I use others cards as my starting point.

I post in my gallery what I make and what I make in stamp club and I note the difference between the two. I try my best to list out everything used in each case because I know how much I appreciate it as a fairly new to card making and non-creative person.

Having said all that, I do understand that it takes a lot of time. I guess what I'm trying to say is it is appreciated!

A link to a blog where the details are is ok. It is even more helpful when it links to that exact posting rather than just the blog itself. It saves digging around when you're looking for details on a card that was made months ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I'm new so I am looking for ideas to get going and to see if it is a stamp set/colored paper/ribbon/ink I want to buy. I so appreciate that any of you even take the time to share a picture. If you add more than that (like color of cs, ribbion or ink) it is icing on the cake to me. Otherwise, I agree I can always pm for a technique question, like when I wanted to know how to make paper bows and someone kindly sent me the tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

And by the way, your cards are so amazing! I don't think I could even CASE one but I love looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampandweaveView Post
Can you just go into the SU gallery? That way, you won't have to go through everything looking for SU stuff. I love the fact that we can go in by stamp company and find things.

I really appreciate details on things in the gallery. I will rarely comment on a card where the person didn't post details on it. We all learn so much from SCS and everyone else, and those details are one way of sharing.

Happy heart, I love your work. I think the problem with no comments is a widespread one because of the size of the gallery (it's wonderful to have a lot there) and the lack of time for most of us. Challenge cards seem to get lots of comments, but a lot of great cards go without comments. Sometimes, I have seen cards with few comments that lots of people have favorited.

As far as I've been able to tell, you can't go into the gallery and look at just the Stampin Up uploads over the last 24 hours. I think you have to do it by alphabetized group. If someone knows how to do this, please let me know!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
As far as I've been able to tell, you can't go into the gallery and look at just the Stampin Up uploads over the last 24 hours. I think you have to do it by alphabetized group. If someone knows how to do this, please let me know!

Julie
You can search SUO (Stampin Up Only) as a Keyword in the gallery.;)
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmmmm - I just had another thought: are there any companies that require you to credit them? What if you CASE a card - should you always credit the original designer?

I have a card layout that I use all the time. I found it in an old copy of a card magazine. If I were to upload my version, would I credit the magazine, the original designer (Julie HRR in this case) or both?

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

At the very least, I think you should post the name of the stamp set and the colors used -- colors look VERY different on different computer monitors, and often the scanner or camera will distort the color as well. Also, newbie stampers aren't nearly as adept at naming a color on sight alone as those of us who've been using SU! product for years and could recite the core 48 colors in our sleep! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegboView Post
Hmmmm - I just had another thought: are there any companies that require you to credit them? What if you CASE a card - should you always credit the original designer?

I have a card layout that I use all the time. I found it in an old copy of a card magazine. If I were to upload my version, would I credit the magazine, the original designer (Julie HRR in this case) or both?

Sarah
Yes if you case you should always credit the original designer
your second question about the layout you always use, you would give credit to JulieHRR.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Exclamation Less words!!!

I agree with you HappyHeart. Using less words makes a lot of sense. I, for one, usually read the basics about ink and paper, but not the details. You have been so conscientious about helping us out with the details -- I just went and looked at some of your previous cards. Shortening the accessories list would save you a lot of typing.

Or maybe it's just the editor in me. An example from the card "Hang On" ...
Quote:

Natural Twine, Cuttlebug & Embossing Folder,, Dauber, Mounting Tape, Mini Glue Dots, Crimper, Black EP, Mini Star Brads, Seam Ripper (for distressing)
...could be really shortened by only typing "CB Paisley folder and brads."
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes