Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of unmounting my SU Wheels?

I am this close to unmounting my wheels...and any I buy in the future. I am trying to think of cons mostly of doing this. Maybe there aren't any. All I can think of is that I wouldn't be able to ever demo them.

I can think of more pros. Has anyone done this, I saw a tutorial on a blog recently. Any tips for me for unmounting? I guess I should buy a long skinny acrylic block and some EZ mount first right?

Thanks

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

For me the con would be (aside from not being able to demo) that it would be much more difficult for my son to use them. Using the wheels are an easy way to start stamping. I've done a few "classes" with my son's first grade class. Even the kids with fine motor issues have a grand time. I've also done a class with my 85++ year old grandmother and she was getting frustrated with the stamps but did wonderful with the wheel. Then we stamped sentiments & images on WW and used punches to "even them out".

I think they are more "fun" as wheels. So if you plan on doing any classes with very beginners, children, or the older generation (or anyone with fine motor issues or a condition like Parkinson's Disease) the wheels are a great tool for them to participate too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

CONS:
you can't roll continuous like for wrapping paper (I decorate lunch bag size bags alot)
you don't have the advantage of using ink wheels, which ink better IMHO
As a demo, you would want to demo as they are intended wouldn't you?

Advice: if you are having difficulty PRACTICE. I know you are new. If the pattern allows it, a diagonal application disguises some crooked rolling.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unmount all my wheels. There are no cons for me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I've unmounted all my wheels and for me...it was a great decision. I never (and I mean NEVER) used my wheels when they were mounted. But after unmounting them, I use them ALL the time. I would think that as a demo, this would not be a good idea. Maybe you could just unmount retired wheels for your own use and keep the current wheels mounted to demo? Just a thought.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I think one of the biggest pros for me will be being able to use any ink, and not having to buy every cartridge and then buy reinkers and uninked cartridges to make the ones that they don't sell.

Thanks for weighing in everyone, I appreciate it.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Great thread!! I'm thinking about unmounting too!

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
I think one of the biggest pros for me will be being able to use any ink, and not having to buy every cartridge and then buy reinkers and uninked cartridges to make the ones that they don't sell.

Erin
I still roll them in the handle over inkpads, if it's a color I don't have a cartridge for. Faster and less messy
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have unmounted several of my wheels. I find them so much more useable now because I can ink them much
more easily and get a better stamped image. The ones I have not unmounted were ones that I figured I might sell one day, and although, you can sell unmounted, you might not get as much money for them as the ones still on the wheels.

I put Tack It Over and Over on the back instead of using EZ mount. I had acrylic blocks specially made in both 1 x 7 and 2 x 7 (to fit both standard and jumbo wheels) and it was a very reasonable price (I think both together were about $8 including shipping).

I never owned any of the cartridges. I just rolled them over the ink pad several times. No more messing with that once they are unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I unmounted all my stamps and delayed unmounting my wheels, but finally, I unmounted them, too!

I never literally used my wheels and now I use them all the time. I've got empty wheels and a handle if anybody is interested!

I recycle and reuse alot, but I haven't found a use for the empty wheels yet. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Another unmounted wheeler here too!

Can not even remember using them before!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I unmounted all my stamps and delayed unmounting my wheels, but finally, I unmounted them, too!

I never literally used my wheels and now I use them all the time. I've got empty wheels and a handle if anybody is interested!

I recycle and reuse alot, but I haven't found a use for the empty wheels yet. Any suggestions?
I have 2 roller stamps which I have yet to use. I forget I even have them. Still thinking about unmounting them but maybe I'll make some wrapping paper first so I can use the ink in the roller. I also saw at Hobby Lobby they are now selling rollers with some sort of sticky type acetate on them so you can put any of your clear stamps on them. Looks like an interesting concept but never bought one. I'm not in my craft room at the moment but I wonder if adding a piece of acetate to one of the rollers would work with the clear stamps. If anyone tries it let us know if it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I think I would use my wheels less if I unmounted them. First, how would I store them? I find I don't use my unmounted stamps much that are in binders and not in cd cases. Second, how do you consistently ink the rubber and get a clean imprint? I find using the wheels with the cartridge and handle fast and easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I only have one wheel, so my opinion may not be much use. I LOVE having it unmounted and only bought it because I saw a thread about unmounting them. Figured I'd give the whimsy wheel a try, and it was a smart investment for me. I use it unmounted, and I just hated rolling those wheels...used them at my demo's house years ago and thought they were awkward and messy. I'm a klutz!

As a demo, though, you may want to keep the current ones (at least the ones you might want to demo) on the wheel, and unmount the ones for your personal use. Tell your customers what you're doing though, 'cause if there are any like me, they'll jump on that option and you'll get some sales!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
I think I would use my wheels less if I unmounted them. First, how would I store them? I find I don't use my unmounted stamps much that are in binders and not in cd cases. Second, how do you consistently ink the rubber and get a clean imprint? I find using the wheels with the cartridge and handle fast and easy.
That's a good question, how do people store them. As for inking them up, I imagine it would be the same process as inking a background stamp.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I've unmounted mine and have not regrets. I don't have any problems getting them evenly inked. I had a harder time inking them evenly when they were wheels. And I stopped using them because I didn't have all the colors of ink in cartridges and it was a pain assembling the whole thing to use. I would always end up popping the cartridge across the room. LOL!! I mounted mine on EZMount and store them in SU plastic boxes for now. I can put 3 on the lid and 3 in the box. Or 2 on lid and 2 on box base for larger wheels. I am no longer a demo so that is not a problem for me either. And even when I was a demo and would show the wheels, not too many people were interested because of the extra cost of buying more ink and the handle. Good luck with your decision.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
I mounted mine on EZMount and store them in SU plastic boxes for now. I can put 3 on the lid and 3 in the box. Or 2 on lid and 2 on box base for larger wheels.
I store mine almost like this, except I cut the lids off the boxes and store the unmounted wheel stamps on them. Two jumbo or three regular per lid. I stand the lids up in a basket, and just flip through them to choose my wheel stamp.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I want to unmount but am worried about finding an acrylic block long enough...so far all the ones I have seen in my area are too short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Sarah...I don't make much wrapping paper and any gift bags I make, I can still easily use the unmounted wheel. No CONS for me either...the big CON for me was that when they were on the wheels, I never used them...now I do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spealeView Post
I unmount all my wheels. There are no cons for me!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi there ... I recently unmounted all my wheel and put them on ez cling. They were the last of my stamps to be unmounted becuase I wafflled back and forth. I finally shut my eyes are started removing them from the wheels. So glad I did! Now I use them constantly whereas I never did. It was just too much of a hassle to put together and half the time I could not get an even layer of ink on the wheel if I used the cartridge and using an ink pad is fine if you are only going to cover a relatively small area. Now they are not only easier for me to use and clean - they also take up less space since I can store 4 standard or 2 jumbo unmounted wheel strips in a DVD case.
Love it - wish I'd done a long time ago!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I'm in the unmounted crowd. I'm SO glad I did it. I mounted them on EZ Mount and store them on the storage board that you can purchase. I was so frustrated with them because of the uneven inking and the little space where the two ends came together. My husband actually made me the longer acrylics. He went to a company that sells acrylic and bought an end (he got the 1/2" thick for me) and then used his band saw to cut them out and sanded the edges so that I wouldn't cut myself and voile a perfect mount for these. When you unmount the stamps, be sure to clean off all the old glue before sticking them on the EZ Mount otherwise they may come off. I can't think of any cons as I use mine now where I didn't before. The other really wonderful pro, is that they are much longer than most border stamps so you can stamp on almost any size card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Default What is EZMount?

Great ideas here about unmounting wheels which I never use anyway! Can you tell me what EZ Mount is? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

EZ Mount is a cushion that clings to acrylic. You can purchase it at Sunday International along with other supplies. For our SU stamps, you just put stickie to stickie and cut it out (we use a hot knife which cuts through like butter). For SU stamps you use the thin mount and for stamps without a cushion the other. I LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Actually, for my SU stamps, I just peel the rubber off the sticky foam (it's really easy) and mount it to the regular EZ Mount. For some reason that works better for me, so now you have two ways to choose from!

I'm loving this thread. I unmounted ALL my SU stamps (and the few other wood-mounteds I had) as soon as I quit being a demo, for storage purposes, but only gave thought to unmounting my wheels for about a 1/2 second. The only time I ever use them is for rolling a single line across a gift bag for use as "shopping bags" at the craft fairs where I sell (which is, like, a couple of times a year), so I rarely use them and forget they're there, like so many have said. Now I'm thinking it would be far more valuable to actually use my wheel images unmounted than just to keep them mounted and unused except for those rare occasions. And if I need a longer strip, I can always use my invaluable Stamp-a-ma-jig!

Thanks for the push, ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default unmounted wheels

Quote:

You could put rubber bands and try other things on the wheels for other types of odd backgrounds. I have heard of people doing it, never tried it myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After reading all these, I realized that I don't use mine alot. I do get out 3 or 4 at a time, and roll over fronts and backs of envelopes to decorate them,
Cause only dull women have plain envelopes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

All wheels unmounted and lovin' it! Still working on all of my stamps though....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I just found these. They are clear! I bet unmounted they would be cool!

http://www.newcleardollarstamps.com/servlet/Categories
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Default unmounted is great !

I have unmounted everything, even the wheels. Use the tack it over and over, right on the rubber backing. Instead of an acrylic block, used the b plate from the cuttlebug, and something underneath as a cushion. Even a few sheets of scrap paper as a cushion will work. Find I can ink it up so much easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I am this close to unmounting my wheels...and any I buy in the future. I am trying to think of cons mostly of doing this. Maybe there aren't any. All I can think of is that I wouldn't be able to ever demo them.

I can think of more pros. Has anyone done this, I saw a tutorial on a blog recently. Any tips for me for unmounting? I guess I should buy a long skinny acrylic block and some EZ mount first right?

Thanks

Erin
I see that you're a demo. Have you ever thought of that being a con? I mean, your customers are going to want to purchase these, because they're wheels, and you are taking them off the wheels.

If you're just a hobby demo, then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be concerned about demoing the wheels though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Erin
I own 1 of the inks for the wheels and don't even use it.

All I do is ink it up on a stamp pad. Simple and easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Default blocks for wheel stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by misssezView Post
I want to unmount but am worried about finding an acrylic block long enough...so far all the ones I have seen in my area are too short.
I use my cuttlebug plate for a block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Default This gets me thinking......

Does it damage the the wheels when you unmount the rubber? If not, you could put Tack it Over & Over on the back of the rubber and just temporarily "re-mount" it on the wheel anytime you wanted to use that way. As far as that goes, if you were to take one of the wheels and put a strip of tack n peel on it, you could kind of make your own version of the new wheels from Clearsnap that they are selling (the kind where you can stick any of your stamps on). If you have more than one wheel, you could make one of each and/or maybe put acetate on another for your clear stamps and then you have all bases covered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
I own 1 of the inks for the wheels and don't even use it.

All I do is ink it up on a stamp pad. Simple and easy.

I don't use the cartridges either, I have one but I much so prefer to use the ink pads. Simple, easy and even my six year old can do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

The only one I have unmounted is my Happy, Happy Birthday wheel. I could never a good impression from it - it would look great on my scraps when practising, and come out all distorted or crooked when I rolled on my card :mad:

I got so mad one night, I just slid my scissors up the join and it just peeled off the wheel without any hassle. I have heaps of odd sized acrylic blocks, so I've just stuck it on one of those. It works like a dream now.
Jo - Australian SU! Demonstrator #16
e: [email protected]
My Blog: http://joeades.blogspot.com

Last edited by HerryBerry; 10-08-2008 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Cause I can't spell. Obviously have trouble editing too cause I've now posted twice - sorry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

The only one I have unmounted is my Happy, Happy Birthday wheel. I could never a good impression from it - it would look great on my scraps when practising, and come out all distorted or crooked when I rolled on my card :mad:

I got so mad one night, I just slid my scissors up the join and it just peeled off the wheel without any hassle. I have heaps of odd sized acrylic blocks, so I've just stuck it on one of those. It works like a dream now.
Jo - Australian SU! Demonstrator #16
e: [email protected]
My Blog: http://joeades.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

A couple of thoughts here: I'm all about consolidation (my goal is to be able to take all my "stuff" with me in an RV and hit the road), so it makes sense to me to be able to store my wheels (unmounted) the same way I do my other stamps (I never mount any of them). Also, there are MANY times I just want a portion of the image on the wheel, and it's SO much easier to find and ink that portion if the stamp is flat. Also easier to ink the whole wheel, and to clean it...

I'm keeping one wheel of each size and the handles for both, and plan to put Tack 'n' Peel (Tsukineko - I got mine at JoAnn's) on them. That way, if I ever do want to use the wheel stamp as a wheel, I can, and meanwhile I can stick anything to it and roll a background, etc. - think lace, mesh, string, etc., etc... - unlimited possibilities!

I've already started on the un-mounting project - 7 down, 28 to go! (It goes REALLY fast, I just haven't done it yet). I'm sure I'll be less likely to forget them now, so I'm equally sure I'll use them more!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

I'm keeping one wheel of each size and the handles for both, and plan to put Tack 'n' Peel (Tsukineko - I got mine at JoAnn's) on them. That way, if I ever do want to use the wheel stamp as a wheel, I can, and meanwhile I can stick anything to it and roll a background, etc. - think lace, mesh, string, etc., etc... - unlimited possibilities!
What great ideas! I never thought of doing this, but it is brilliant. It gives you unlimited options. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Ornaments? I only say that because I am using the about 50 or so cardboard ribbon rounds (that ribbons came on) to make ornaments so I am kind of in make-everything-an-ornament mode.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I can go for unmounting the wheels - I only have two and for the reason that everyone states - I just don't use them. Question, though - besides space, what are the cons for unmounting the SU stamp sets?
Reply With Quote Likes