Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a stamp a 'qulity stamp'? Specifically clear stamps

I've noticed a lot of people saying PTI stamps are some of the best clear stamps...I haven't got my first order yet, but I have one set coming.
But what makes a clear stamp good quality. Also can I get your opinions on which companies have the best and which companies have the worst quality stamps and what makes them bad?

Thanks
Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

i like flourishes and kitchen sink stamps easy to work with
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wouldn't say they are the best... I think there are LOTS of great companies. Everyone from Clear Dollar Stamps to Verve to The Cat's Pajamas to Amuse, My Favorite Things, Stampendous, etc...etc...

I think the thickness and detail in the stamp makes it good. And frankly, I've had thin PTI stamps on occasion just like other brands. They do have AWESOME Customer Service though.

Personally the $1 clear stamps at Michael's stamp well too... Studio G I think they are called. I've never had a problem with any that couldn't be fixed.

I am a fan of PTI, but I use lots of companies. No one has "everything" I want. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

You can "smell," feel and see the difference. If you take good-quality photo-polymer stamps like PTI, Amuse, Technique Tuesday, you'll find they all have attributes in common, like the firmness, how they are cut out, the detail and they SMELL the same... I love that smell when I open a package, it tells me i'm working with some good stamps.

Then you take some low-quality photo-polymer stamps like Inkadinkado (my LEAST fav stamps) and Autumn Leaves (recently), and they aren't cut out really well, they're flimsy, and sometimes uneven. These are just some of my observations I've noticed since purchasing too many $100 in clear stamps to admit. hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

i also always use a foam rubber piece under all my stamps which makes a big difference
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
You can "smell," feel and see the difference. If you take good-quality photo-polymer stamps like PTI, Amuse, Technique Tuesday, you'll find they all have attributes in common, like the firmness, how they are cut out, the detail and they SMELL the same... I love that smell when I open a package, it tells me i'm working with some good stamps.

Then you take some low-quality photo-polymer stamps like Inkadinkado (my LEAST fav stamps) and Autumn Leaves (recently), and they aren't cut out really well, they're flimsy, and sometimes uneven. These are just some of my observations I've noticed since purchasing too many $100 in clear stamps to admit. hahaha
The only clear stamps I have so far are CTMH and I LOVE the smell. Aromatherapy for my creative muse, I think. I thought I was the only one who thinks lowly of Inkadinkadoo stamps -- never tried the clear but their rubber is terrible. One LSS here recently stopped selling Autumn Leaves and Technique Tuesday due to quality issues. I guess you just have to risk a little money and try different brands to find the ones the work for you and have the styles you like.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Oh I must be in the minority here...I love the INkadinkado clear stamps...I just keep collecting them. I have PTI too and many others but I love the Inkadinkado stamps. Have made some really cute cards with them. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post

OK, am I the only one that busted out laffin' over the visual of bunches of us sniffin' our stamps, eyes glazed over?

So funny--Yup--I smell mine, too! ROTFLMBO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Oh Oh I must be in the minority here...I love the INkadinkado clear stamps...I just keep collecting them. I have PTI too and many others but I love the Inkadinkado stamps. Have made some really cute cards with them. Blessings.
I have Inkadinkado stamps too and I love them. They stamped beautifully right out of the package. And they seem pretty thick to me. Just as thick as my CTMH ones.

I don't have any PTI yet; my first set should be here today. Funny how we all have different opinions of the same products LOL~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
. . . I guess you just have to risk a little money and try different brands to find the ones the work for you and have the styles you like.
Mary Beth
Yeah, I've kinda found that to be true, as well.

Some companies make their clear stamps from vinyl, instead of high-grade photopolymer or silicone. Definitely a different beastie, and they seem to stretch and distort much more than the high grade clears . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Now I'm going to have to start sniffing stamps?! lol
I like all the brands I listed... I do think there is a difference in some... there really are so many good brands out there... something for everyone. YIPPEE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the Inkadinkadoo ones, because I can generally get them with a 40% off coupon at Michaels and if they rip - well, there went $5. And they seem to have a huge selection these days.

I still favor rubber stamps as a long term crafting tool - they can take far more heat, and short-term exposure to harsh chemicals that just melt the clear stamps. Clear stamps just don't live as long - and can rip.

I've ripped several Character Contruction clear stamps, but I think that was because the design made for a weak point, and they stick so well to the mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts

I really like the inkadinkado stamps myself...I have tried rubber soul, and was pretty dissapointed...They never seem to give me a clear impression...CTMH and stampendous are two others I favor!
And YES ...I smell my stamps too!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't see a problem with Inkadinkado clear stamps either, it's the very soft clear ones I don't like. ie: Studio G, Martha Stewart. Although PTI stamps are my favorite by far, I have had a couple of them rip on me. But that may be because I use them A LOT, and I may not have been super careful taking them off the CD case. Certain delicate designs will rip more easily than others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have used many different clear stamps....PTI, CTMH, inkadinkado, clear stamps, studio g, MFT, cats pajamas, and I just got my first penny black clear set (the 12 days of christmas, and it is soooo cute! Haven't tried it yet though.) To tell you the truth, I believe it is the ink you use that really makes a difference. There are some that I can't get a good image out of unless I use pigment ink, and others that work just fine with dye ink. For instance, I love CTMH stamps and think they are excellent quality. However, I have a terrible time using them with SU classic ink pads. When I use CTMH ink or SU craft, I have no problem. How you stamp with them also makes a difference. Some need some padding underneath the paper to really get a good image, and some a harder surface.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

The only ones I have ever actually taken back to a store are Autumn Leaves - the image was just awful.

I got a Halloween set of clear House Mouse stamps at Hobby Lobby awhile back and just opened it up the other day. A couple of them tore and I was being careful ~ I think two of them were also stuck together. Live and learn.

I love PTI and I've been fine with Inkadinkado also. I think MFT, Kitchen Sink Stamps, Penny Black clear, and Saltbox Studio all have great products. Two other stamp companies I want to mention are Verve Stamps and Crafty Secrets. These are some of the best-stamping stamps I've ever used. The first time I used Crafty Secrets, I actually *gasped* when I saw the perfect image!

All the stamps I mentioned above, except Autumn Leaves and the House Mouse clear stamps, are good quality to me ~ they feel substantial when you use them and they don't tear. Also, you get a nice sharp and even image when you stamp.

I hope you love your Papertrey stamps when you get them! I just got an order today and I'm looking forward to making recipe cards and using the Silent Night set, too. (Did you order cardstock and ribbon, too? It's fabulous!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

PTI stamps *were* (dunno their status now) manufactured by Stewart Superior. Last time I checked, they also manufacture for My Sentiments Exactly, Hero Arts, and Hampton Arts.. so the quality will all be the same.

I will add CTMH, 7 Gypsies, Paper Studio, Fancy Pants, Impression Obsession, Memory Box, Verve, Daisy Bucket, Stampendous, Clear Dollar, Gel-a-Tins, Technique Tuesday and some others to the list.

IMO, Inkadinkado, Autumn Leaves, Fiskars, Stampology, Making Memories, Heidi Grace, Martha Stewart definitely do not fall in the same category. I think their stamps are made with vinyl cling or some other clear plastic. Versafine ink works well with these though!!

Yeah, I go around, lol!

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows

Last edited by krisis; 10-22-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: i can't spell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I like the images of the inkadinkado stamps but have found that I can't use the stampin up markers with them. Is this generally true with all clear stamps?

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Inkadinkado seems ok to me? I love their images.

Martha Stewart is the worst to me (and I'm a Martha fan, not trying to dis her). They are really thin and tear easily. Actually all of the EK Success brands of clear stamps have been pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The clear stamps made by All Night Media are AWFUL. Very hard plastic and very poor quality. They sell them at Hobby Lobby with Disney characters.

They are the worst brand I have ever tried to stamp with. Can't get a clear image from them no matter what I try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jknathView Post
I like the images of the inkadinkado stamps but have found that I can't use the stampin up markers with them. Is this generally true with all clear stamps?
Yes. Generally speaking, most clear stamps are not very receptive to water-based marker ink. Your best best is to go with an ink pad designed to work with clear stamps, a hybrid, a chalk, or pigment.

With some clear stamps, depending on the quality (meaning, exactly what they are made of--vinyl is the worst IMHO), you may have to do some experimenting with various inks to find what you feel works best/what you like.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I love my Hero Arts acrylics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

They feel thicker and more substantial when they are good - thicker AND more deeply etched. I buy based on design but there is a difference in quality. I wonder howmany of us will be crying 5-7 years down the line with all our acrylic stamps lol.

I taught in a stamp store and some of her rubber stamps that had been on the shelf for years were rock hard and cracked - so nothing lasts.....

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I have several sets of clear Inkadinkadoo and love them. I haven't had any problem with them and I've been using Memento ink pads. Since I only paid $5 or so for them I don't care if they only last a couple of years. I don't mind paying $5 to $10 for a set of stamps even if I only want one or two of the stamps, but I won't pay $30 for a set of stamps when I only want one or two of them. I'm just thrilled we have so many choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Clear stamps are not by fav but I have several and I find good and bad with all types. I have a PTI set of tiny words that I have to stamp very lightly because they smoosh and the letter look kind of smeared and I have PTI that are great. I just bought some Christmas stamps from inkadinkado that are simply amazing. I have good and bad dollar stamps. Personally, I can't recommend one company over another with clear stamps.

Now about smelling them - hmm, haven't tried it, don't think I want to, and if I liked the smell I'd have to start hanging around the stamps trying to get a quick fix, the next thing you know I'm main-lining rubbah...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

okay I'm still a newbie and love my rubber stamps even though I can't always find what I'm looking for I'm devoted to rubber. HOWEVER, I must admit I've been looking around. My question???? What does PTI stand for?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild4blueView Post
okay I'm still a newbie and love my rubber stamps even though I can't always find what I'm looking for I'm devoted to rubber. HOWEVER, I must admit I've been looking around. My question???? What does PTI stand for?Thanks in advance.
PTI stands for PaperTrey Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I love clear stamps, very rarely I buy rubber stamps anymore. However, I don't buy every clear stamps I find. Like most of you already mentioned, there are lots of bad clear stamps made of plastic and they don't stamp well.

My favourites are:

Kitchen Sink Stamps
Papertrey
Flourishes

Kitchen Sink Stamps are very thick and they stamp very well.
Most of my PTI stamps are very good, apart from a couple of sets... the stamps are very thin and sticky but they stamp well.

A couple years ago I bought a couple sets of cheap clear stamps from my LSS and they were made in China, definitively they were vynil stamps and I put them in the bin, they stamped very badly. Now, I prefer to pay more and choose the sets very well and I only buy good quality photopolymer clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
OK, am I the only one that busted out laffin' over the visual of bunches of us sniffin' our stamps, eyes glazed over?

So funny--Yup--I smell mine, too! ROTFLMBO!
:p I smelled mine too.:p :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

So..........what does a good stamp smell like? I happen to loooooooove my inkadinkado stamps. I buy them all the time as well as the Studio G. I have a set of PTI stamps that I won't part with but, I only paid $15.00 for them. I can't see spending over $20.00 for one set of stamps.

Last edited by scrubbybubbles; 10-24-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

The best quality clear stamps I own so far are from Peachy Keen, Sassafrass Lass, and Impression Obsession.

These are all very thick and not flimsy at all. Very nice deep impressions on all of these, and they all stamp beautifully and clean up nicely too. You can immediately tell the difference once you open up the package and touch them.

I don't care for the quality of $1 stamps at M's, I think they are just junk. That's probably why I have a lot of them just sitting there not getting used.
I'm not very fond of some of the Inkadinkadoo clear stamps, I had a large set where 2 of the stamps ripped right in half, but some other ones I have are just fine.

I haven't taken the time to read the packaging to see what the actual chemical compounds are that are used, but there are really great high quality ones out there and ones that are just total junk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are smelling your stamps!!?? Any lasagna ones????

BTW, Inkadinkado -- I used to hate their clear stamps but recently bought some new ones and the quality was much improved.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Another Inkadinkado vote here...I love them! I have PTI too, and can't say that I see a huge difference. Not enough to make up for the price anyway...

Hmmm...$24/set (PTI) vs $6/set (Inka) on sale.

I will keep buying both...the images are what I am after, and I can't say that I have any 'bad' stamps yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the new Inkadinkado clear stamps and have found that I have to prep them before stamping. I rub a white eraser over the surface and stamp several times with a permanent dye ink. This makes them take dye inks like SU more easily. They take chalk and pigment inks beautifully.

As for the smell of photopolymer clear stamps, UGH! It's a nasty chemical smell that will give you a headache if you're prone to them. Of course, that doesn't stop me from using them. ;) The smell eventually goes away with use.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes