Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Glue Pad

Okay, so I broke down and bought a glue pad. It came empty/dry or whatever you call it with a glue refill. How do you fill these things???? I tried just putting the glue on the pad, and it didn't soak in, so what do I do??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had a glue pad for over a year, and I hardly ever use it. I put enough glue on the pad for the project I am working on. I don't know if that is right or wrong. I just figured, unless I'm using it often, the glue in the pad is going to dry and harden.

Let me know if I am wrong!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

found this
Quote:

The Essential Glue Pad is a clear, heat free adhesive for all your creative needs — without the use of a heat gun.

The Essential Glue Pad isperfect for:

� pearlesent powders
� chalks
� metallic foils
� ultra-fine glitter
� many other products

Kit contains an uninked pad and refill. Uses about 1/2 bottle to ink first time.

Store pad upside down and massage with back of spoon to re-disperse glue. Reink if it becomes dry between uses.

Adhesive works best on glossy or matte coated papers that don't absorb glue too quickly (so you have time to apply your materials).]
That really is the closest I can find to answering your question... I will keep looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

http://glitterinmyhair.blogspot.com/...-glue-pad.html

This seems to explain it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Alene13

Back to the glue pad. I have been stamping a long time and find that I wasted my money. The pad developed mouldy spots when stored. I washed it, let it dry and put it away. Probably will never see the light of day again. Live and learn....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why not make your own?

Why not make your own glue pad with a superfine sponge and some white glue? The dollar store sells a pack of makeup sponges for $1. In the pack is a circle sponge. You could saturate it as you like and toss it when you are done, or rinse it out and use it again. Up to you. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Glue Pads :O(

Glue pads are a big waste of money. I find that the best way to stamp and apply glitter is with "Heat N Stick". This is a powder that you use like embossing powder. Stamp your image with either embossing ink or Versamark, sprinkle the "Heat n Stick" powder on, dust off excess and heat with your heat tool. Then you apply your fine glitter and heat again. This works wonderful, I've used it for years. I have had absolutely NO luck with those "glue pads".
This was really kinda "funny" - I went to a local Joanns on Saturday and there was a lady "demonstrating" how to use the Palette Glue Pad. Well, what a joke....she didn't even know how to use the acrylic stamps she was using. When she had stamped the image with the Palette and applied the glitter, she said "there, isn't that pretty". I touched the glitter and it came right off!!. She had several sitting there that had been there a while and they also did not hold the glitter. She told me that the problem was, she was using cheap stamps... LOL

Sandy

Last edited by poochiegrammy; 08-27-2008 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree. I have one, and while some have said how great it is ... I've never found it stuck much at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I agree with those of you who said it was a waste of money. I tried using mine just a few times and now it is so sticky/dry that it doesn't work. Re-inking the pad doesn't seem to work either. In an attempt to at least use it in some way to salvage the waste of money, I will sometimes ink a cosmetic sponge with the refill and dab it on a stamp. When the refill is gone, I will not replace it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the great tips ladies. I'm going to sell my glue pad at the next garage sale, and get the heat and stick!! Cheers, Hayley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

The success of this product might really depend on what type of CS you are using. At the local stamp craft fair recently, the demo lady stressed that you cannot use normal cardstock that soaks up the glue. Use either glossy CS (where the glue sits on top) or this other method she was using --
She was applying embossing paste through a brass template (like tutorial "pasty razzle dazzle"), letting it dry, then sponging glue through the template again (on top of the dried paste), and then applying metal gold leafing. It was beautiful! I didn't see her glitter technique, but I think it was similar.

I tried to use the heat & stick powder on glossy CS for the gold leafing. Didn't work out too well for me. So I am getting the glue pad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I recently purchased the Martha Stewart Glue Pad at Michael's. I also have a Palette Glue pad and the Tsukineko Essential Glue Pad. I can tell you, without hesitation, that the Martha Stewart Glue Pad works WONDERFULLY. I had similar experiences as mentioned above with both the Palette and the Tsukineko, but was determined to find an alternative to Heat N Stick powder (hated the extra effort needed). I believe that I have found my alternative. It comes with the reinker - best money I've ever spent. I don't have an example of a card I've used it on because the cards I've used it on are samples for the mini VSN coming up this weekend. You can check my gallery on Saturday to see the example - OR YOU COULD COME AND PLAY ALONG WITH US!! Click on the link below in my siggy for all the details!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by poochiegrammyView Post
Glue pads are a big waste of money. I find that the best way to stamp and apply glitter is with "Heat N Stick". This is a powder that you use like embossing powder. Stamp your image with either embossing ink or Versamark, sprinkle the "Heat n Stick" powder on, dust off excess and heat with your heat tool. Then you apply your fine glitter and heat again. This works wonderful, I've used it for years. I have had absolutely NO luck with those "glue pads".
This was really kinda "funny" - I went to a local Joanns on Saturday and there was a lady "demonstrating" how to use the Palette Glue Pad. Well, what a joke....she didn't even know how to use the acrylic stamps she was using. When she had stamped the image with the Palette and applied the glitter, she said "there, isn't that pretty". I touched the glitter and it came right off!!. She had several sitting there that had been there a while and they also did not hold the glitter. She told me that the problem was, she was using cheap stamps... LOL

Sandy
Here's a frame I did using the Palette Glue Pad...tit was perfect for this technique.

http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...t-easy_26
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I can't speak for cardstock but I have used the glue pads to apply glitter to painted chipboard as well as wood. This weekend at my daughters Halloween party, the girls used markers and colored in their wood pumpkins, then with the glue pad I applied a top layer of glitter. Worked perfectly.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default My sad glue pad story...

I went to last year's Heirloom Stamp convention and saw the Tswhatever glue pad demo-ed at various booths. I decided I couldn't live without it and purchased one not only for me but my friend as well.
I have used it ONCE! And it was for a 4th of July card with fireworks bursts. I decided the glue pad would be PERFECT to add glitter to the fireworks bursts. Not only did the glitter not stick to the card, but pieces of my Stampendous acrylic stamp stuck to the pad and ruined the stamp.

NEVER again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a glue pad I have never used. Hmmm...wonder if I should try it based on those who have had success with it or just sell it unopened.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlw966View Post
The success of this product might really depend on what type of CS you are using. At the local stamp craft fair recently, the demo lady stressed that you cannot use normal cardstock that soaks up the glue. Use either glossy CS (where the glue sits on top) or this other method she was using --
She was applying embossing paste through a brass template (like tutorial "pasty razzle dazzle"), letting it dry, then sponging glue through the template again (on top of the dried paste), and then applying metal gold leafing. It was beautiful! I didn't see her glitter technique, but I think it was similar.

I tried to use the heat & stick powder on glossy CS for the gold leafing. Didn't work out too well for me. So I am getting the glue pad!
So I finally got my hands on the glue pad. I forgot a step for the pasty razzle dazzle/ gold leafing.. You need to sponge glue onto the pasted image, then heat with heat gun for 20 sec, then apply gold leafing and brush off excess. When I did it as described above, it did not work. But using the heat gun, it did work.

Here's my first attempt -
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Glue Pad-dscn2524.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Where do you get the glue refills for Martha Stewart glue pads?

Does anyone know where you can get the glue for Martha Stewart glue pads. I know they come with the small tubes but I have checked everywhere and can't find larger refills. I love my glue pad so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterstamperView Post
Does anyone know where you can get the glue for Martha Stewart glue pads. I know they come with the small tubes but I have checked everywhere and can't find larger refills. I love my glue pad so far.
I wonder if it's the same as the Martha Stewart Glitter Glue, sold separately. I bet if you emailed customer service on the Martha Stewart craft website, someone could probably clarify that for you. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Default MS Glitter and Glue

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterstamperView Post
How do you keep the glue pad from drying out between uses.

I used it today for the first time and wasn't too happy with the way the glitter seemed to rub off as I was assembling my card.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Using the palette glue pad I stamped it, heated it and had glitter rub off until there were only a few sparkles left. So I tried again heating it more- better but still didn't work. I think using a gloss paper like Heidi (hlw966) suggested is the way it will work. I didn't think that the glue would soak in but I guess it did- although my main gripe is I couldn't see where I stamped and had to hold it up to the light. I was thinking of buying/trying the essential glue pad by Tsukineko next. I'm also not thrilled with the idea of heating these- which includes stamp & stick but will try that because I have already have some. I'm just glad I tried it out with just stamping instead of gold leaf which I originally bought it for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

[quote=hlw966;11763813]The success of this product might really depend on what type of CS you are using. At the local stamp craft fair recently, the demo lady stressed that you cannot use normal cardstock that soaks up the glue. Use either glossy CS (where the glue sits on top)
quote]

Oh thanks Heidi, knowing to use a glossy c/s might just help us to get better use now from our glue-pads! I've also tried mine for glitter and got into such a mess with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tips and techniques in using Glue Pad

Tsukineko - high quality inks and inkpads for your crafting projects
Reply With Quote Likes