Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making money

Every time im on here buying things or going to a stamp or scrap booking store i spend a lot of money (well at least thats what my fiance says) So i got to thinking about it.

How can i get out money that i have put into all my things and still keep all my stamps and everything? Any ideas ladies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Sell some of your creations! Set yourself up as a DBA for tax purposes and then your supplies are tax write-offs and you recoup some of the cost!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Default money-selling

I try to make all my christmas gifts...if not all then at least everyone gets something handmade,that way I can justify buying so much stuff..
I also have friends come over and we craft together,and I either charge a fee and they can have free reign or I have things priced and they can buy what they need.
try to do some craft fairs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

[Sell some of your creations! Set yourself up as a DBA for tax purposes and then your supplies are tax write-offs and you recoup some of the cost!]

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a DBA?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLHotshotView Post
[Sell some of your creations! Set yourself up as a DBA for tax purposes and then your supplies are tax write-offs and you recoup some of the cost!]

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a DBA?

TIA!
DBA= doing business as
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

ok, ladies. do any of you go to craft shows and sell you cards and scrap booking pages that you make there. If you do how well does it work? and yes thank you for asking what a DBA is
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

i do sell some of my cards.

i love that i can make a lot of gifts with all the supplies i have.

i am able to put together a set of cards in no time when a gift is needed.

i don't really do any other crafting anymore. i don't bowl anymore. i don't play euchre anymore...

i am addicted to making cards and i am slowly being sucked into scrap booking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

one year i sold christmas cards to my friends i charged 15$ for 12 cards. i made about 300$. haven't tried anything else, like ebay.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Default making money

DBA is doing business as....call your state tax dept and get a tax id number and open a checking account with the name of the dba...Like jane smith DBA paper flowers....once you have the number you can do tax exempt for purchases that you will use to make items to resell...you will have to file quartly tax returns, but it is simple, if you dont' collect any tax, it is 0 if you dont sell anything at all , it is all 0's and it takes about 2 mins. you can do it on line too I think for most states.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
this is a thread all about the things we sell at craft fairs, how to's for making and selling, and pricing... great thread
Its long but I put together a word doc of the average on prices and where to look in the thread for certain projects
Attached Files
File Type: doc stamp project pricing2.doc (79.5 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

thank you ladies. Has anyone done custom scrapbooking for people. Like where they give you their photos and you scrap book for them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelli_Anne_09View Post
thank you ladies. Has anyone done custom scrapbooking for people. Like where they give you their photos and you scrap book for them?

i had a lady hint that she wanted me to do this...

i have NO CLUE what to charge for something like this tho.

would be interested in what others think about this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

i have seen some one that did it. They wanted like $150 for what they called a standar package which was 12 pages. It included the album. You could tell them what you wanted them to journal, or you could do it yourself and they would just give you space to journal. I just wanted to know if anyone else does it and how they do it and how much they charge. cuz i know i have had people as me if i would put their scrapbooks together, cuz they now how much money it cost and how much time is put into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, a lot of people do this. Google Scrap for Hire (s4h) and/or scrap for others (s4o) to find tons of blogs and sites offering this service. That will give you a good idea on competitive pricing.

I personally have always thought the fees charged were too high, and wanted my pages created with my "feelings" lol... so I have never paid anyone else to scrap my photos, but there is definately a market for it, and if its what you LIKE to do, then give it a go!

You could also make scrapbook pages, with no photo in mind and just leave a hole for a photo. These are called Quickpages. And price them accordingly. Lots of these sold on ebay etc.... basically people buy the pretty page and just pop their own photos in and journal as needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy the 16 x 20 cheap wood frames at Michaels when they are on sale for $5.00 and then I take pictures and scrap them in these frames. I sell them at work for $125.00 each...It is a nice little extra $$$$ when I am doing something I love to do anyway. I dont do craft shows but sell thousands of cards every year, the fall being my busiest time. I supply two swim teams for fund raisers, my church bookstore (these are donated to the church) my husbands desk (this averages $60.00 to $125.00 per week) and I also send cards to the troops. It can be lucrative...and I didnt have to pound the pavement to find any of these outlets to sell cards. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I buy the 16 x 20 cheap wood frames at Michaels when they are on sale for $5.00 and then I take pictures and scrap them in these frames. I sell them at work for $125.00 each...It is a nice little extra $$$$ when I am doing something I love to do anyway. I dont do craft shows but sell thousands of cards every year, the fall being my busiest time. I supply two swim teams for fund raisers, my church bookstore (these are donated to the church) my husbands desk (this averages $60.00 to $125.00 per week) and I also send cards to the troops. It can be lucrative...and I didnt have to pound the pavement to find any of these outlets to sell cards. Blessings.
Could you tell me a bit more about the husband's desk idea. I have been considering at work doing something like this. Not really sure how to set it up though. Like does he just leave cards on display on his desk?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen and read oodles of threads on the subject of selling what you make. Quite a range of pricing throughout the country. I think you have to price your items based on your area. What people are willing to pay, not necessarily what you feel it's worth or how much you spent on the items to create it. You have to base your costs for the items on how much realistically you can get for the finished product in your area. What a set of cards would sell for in a small town in NJ would be different than at a craft fair in CA for instance.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Setting oneself up as a dba is not as simple as it has been conveyed. You are actually getting a business license which then tells the governmental agencies of your state that you are running a business. All these various agencies want a portion of your profit; everything you sell must have sales tax applied to it which you collect and hold for 3 months. At the end of 3 months you must fill out a form showing your gross profit for that quarter and the amount of tax collected, then send a check off for that amount. Your bank will also charge for that business checking account you have established. You will need to keep an excellent paper trail and professionally bill everyone you sell to. At the end of the year, you must claim all the money you have made doing your craft business on your income taxes. That is added to your other sources of income and that of your husband's. Depending on what tax bracket you now fall in, that portion is taxed. Yes, you can and do want to deduct all your cost of supplies for the year as well as the fair amount of rent for the area where you do your crafting. Conceivably when this is all done, you may find you are in the hole, especially if you add in the costs for the income tax accountant or preparer to do all that figuring. The IRS only allows a business to work in the hole for a few years and then it is no longer allowed. The IRS and State tax auditors are becoming more and more diligent as far as looking for crafters who sell their handmade products without applying sales tax to them or further claiming the income and the fines for not doing this are very high. Everyone wants a piece of your pie. It is important to crunch the numbers on your crafting to determine if running it as a business will be profitable to you. In most cases, accepting it as a wonderful, but expensive hobby, is the best way to keep it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to what JJameson922 says in post #19, if you do register your craft as a business, be sure you are able to run a business from your home. If you live in a condo or apartment, there are laws not only of the complex but also of your Homeowners/Renters insurance that may prohibit it. Also many Homeowners Associations don't allow running a business from your unit. Depending on your place of residence, insurance and state, your home may need to meet particular requirements in order to be considered a
business.

Just my own thoughts to consider.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Great point, Patti. I had thought of that one too but didn't want to be the total bearer of bad news. Kind of makes one think the ideal of the American dream is no more, doesn't it?
Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJameson922View Post
Setting oneself up as a dba is not as simple as it has been conveyed. You are actually getting a business license which then tells the governmental agencies of your state that you are running a business. All these various agencies want a portion of your profit; everything you sell must have sales tax applied to it which you collect and hold for 3 months. At the end of 3 months you must fill out a form showing your gross profit for that quarter and the amount of tax collected, then send a check off for that amount. Your bank will also charge for that business checking account you have established. You will need to keep an excellent paper trail and professionally bill everyone you sell to. At the end of the year, you must claim all the money you have made doing your craft business on your income taxes. That is added to your other sources of income and that of your husband's. Depending on what tax bracket you now fall in, that portion is taxed. Yes, you can and do want to deduct all your cost of supplies for the year as well as the fair amount of rent for the area where you do your crafting. Conceivably when this is all done, you may find you are in the hole, especially if you add in the costs for the income tax accountant or preparer to do all that figuring. The IRS only allows a business to work in the hole for a few years and then it is no longer allowed. The IRS and State tax auditors are becoming more and more diligent as far as looking for crafters who sell their handmade products without applying sales tax to them or further claiming the income and the fines for not doing this are very high. Everyone wants a piece of your pie. It is important to crunch the numbers on your crafting to determine if running it as a business will be profitable to you. In most cases, accepting it as a wonderful, but expensive hobby, is the best way to keep it.
So many folks are under the misconception that it IS simple, when in reality, it is much more complex than just "snaggin' a business license and hangin' out your shingle".

I hope the very good points and issues you've raised will help people understand more about it all; it was *uber* cool of you to outline 'em! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Riorabbit. I just keep a supply of cards normally 60 to 100 in a basket which he keeps on his desk. He sells them for $3.00 each and on ocassion when I have an over abundance will do a sale 4/$10.00. I also make the little totes with 4 cards in them which fly off his desk at $15.00 each. I include white or ivory envelopes with every card. They come looking for him now in his office of about 100 people to purchase cards. It is very easy money for us. Hope this helps you. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJameson922View Post
Yep, we just went thru this last year.
With the license, you will also then have to pay (or atleast here in KY) CITY, COUNTY, and STATE taxes on top of the federal. Most CPAs also seem to charge a differant rate for BUSINESS then for personal, even if you are filing joint.

You can still sell your creations, and claim that income even if you arent a "business". Its called Hobby Income. Which is what you will file as if you file as a business in the hole too many times.

A really good thing to do FIRST is call your CPA. If you dont have one, most do consults for FREE. It will never hurt to find out which will be the most beneficial for you in the longrun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelli_Anne_09View Post
I've heard a common price is $20/2 page layout. I've been asked many times and that's what I charge. (I teach classes at a scrapbook store) You may think it's expensive, but until you do scrapbooking and find out how much TIME and $$ it takes to turn out those 2 pages, you can't complain about the price..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I'd be useless at all this! I just am not ruthless enough to charge people something like $125 for something that cost $5 and I've just added photos and stuff. Surely if a frame costs $5-even if in a sale, it can't look anywhere near worth $125 even if you've got something really amazing in it? In the Uk that's like buying something for �3 and selling it for �100-I just can't see how anyone wouldn't see it's a really cheap frame. I don't mean offence, only using this example as only one mentioned to use. I just can't and I hesitate to use the word but 'rip' people off by charging through the nose for something ie like scrapbooking that should be special and about memories and love. Some people can't scrapbook-ill/not able/no confidence, no time etc and I realise people are trying to on occassion make a living but to me it sounds like taking advantage as clearly the people concerned have no idea of the real value. Maybe I'm too much of a softie but I feel uncomfortable at comments about 'easy money' etc. Not many people make 'easy money', most people slog their guts out-firefighters, police, doctors, shop assistants etc, missing their children etc and I think for most people making a living out of crafting is not easy at all. In the Uk people still maintain the view that handcrafted is lesser than shop bought-in the cardmaking sense at least. Whenever I see cards in shops, market stalls, craft fairs etc I can't see how they make any money at all. If you get a captive audience it'll be easier, but most people see only a certain value in things and the time, materials added insurance, public liability-even if you're not selling in a public place you need to ensure the card can't choke a child etc! Give it a go, but take account of the great advice given re tax, insurance etc and also think about if something you enjoy doing will be so enjoyable when you count the cost of every foam pad and make the same card 300 times as it's a cheap card but looks more expensive than it is!!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Hello Riorabbit. I just keep a supply of cards normally 60 to 100 in a basket which he keeps on his desk. He sells them for $3.00 each and on ocassion when I have an over abundance will do a sale 4/$10.00. I also make the little totes with 4 cards in them which fly off his desk at $15.00 each. I include white or ivory envelopes with every card. They come looking for him now in his office of about 100 people to purchase cards. It is very easy money for us. Hope this helps you. Blessings.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great way to do it. Do you by any chance have any photos of your totes with cards? I am curious to see what those look like, but I didn't see any in your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you ladies for all your help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I sell cards, party favors, do page layouts, and I have found if you price a little low, they will pay extra. At least that is how it work's out for me.

Now I have to start decorating and putting curly ribbon and making tags for 60 blow pops for a pep rally this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you ladies for all the wonderful help!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes