Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #1  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider In My Target Buckets....

I posted this in Everyday Chit Chat but thought some of you may not ever go there....

When I was unstacking/unwrapping the buckets($1.00 Spot) I found a web,spider(dead) and what looked like eggs in the bottom of one of the buckets.

I know it could have come from Target's warehouse but since they were made in and shipped from China the thought hit me that maybe the Dept Of AG might want to see it.

I think weird stuff sometimes.

I called them yesterday and they DO want me to send it to them.

I packed it's little carc-a-s-s in a hard plastic case with the paper towel I wiped it out of the bucket with,boxed it up and it is waiting to go to the PO.

I put that bucket aside and did not use it.

They told me to include a note with all my info on it and asked to be contacted with the results.

No telling when I will hear from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Never would have thought of calling Dept of Ag but that makes sense. Its one thing to find a spider in your own stuff, but when you bring one in from who knows where? That's yucky!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I never would have thought to call the Dept. of Ag. I am just glad that it was dead not crawling around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I worked in a grocery store for years when I was in high school, college and grad school. There was this one time I was bagging some bananas and this spider about at big as my hand came out of the bunch when they were picked and packaged. I of course screamed and ran away as fast as I could. It was a banana spider and it must have been an egg in the bunch. The produce guy came and killed it and the store had to send it to the Department of Ag. It was the nastiest thing I have ever seen and it gives me a creepy feeling just thinking about it. I'm glad your spider was deceased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn DView Post
I worked in a grocery store for years when I was in high school, college and grad school. There was this one time I was bagging some bananas and this spider about at big as my hand came out of the bunch when they were picked and packaged. I of course screamed and ran away as fast as I could. It was a banana spider and it must have been an egg in the bunch. The produce guy came and killed it and the store had to send it to the Department of Ag. It was the nastiest thing I have ever seen and it gives me a creepy feeling just thinking about it. I'm glad your spider was deceased.
OMG - I would have fainted right to the floor - LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Of course, I just brought home 2 bunches of bananas...and I'm all heeby jeeby about them now! :shock:

also totally creepy about the buckets...I'll watch here for the results...interesting...you're a smartie - I probably would have just thrown the whole bucket out ;)

<------doesn't care much for spiders ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #7  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
Of course, I just brought home 2 bunches of bananas...and I'm all heeby jeeby about them now! :shock:

also totally creepy about the buckets...I'll watch here for the results...interesting...you're a smartie - I probably would have just thrown the whole bucket out ;)

I would have probably not thought a thing about it but on the Disney Cruise they told us not to buy straw products in Nassau because they had found mites in them that did not exist in the USA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I'm not too fond of bananas anymore either. On the upside, I had this job for about 9 years and it only happened once. However, once was too many times in my book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm not too fond of bananas anymore either. On the upside, I had this job for about 9 years and it only happened once. However, once was too many times in my book.
Uh, YEAH! *shudder*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #10  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Like the movie Arachnophobia!

Granny, it's a good thing you weren't trying to take your buckets into California. They might have confiscated them at the state line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny HawkinsView Post
I would have probably not thought a thing about it but on the Disney Cruise they told us not to buy straw products in Nassau because they had found mites in them that did not exist in the USA.
And this is just another good reason to take a Disney cruise... ;)

Keep us posted on the spiders Granny...

I don't do spiders... They are not my friends...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #12  
CBC Giggle Girl

Quote:

Umm Yeah! I just bought bananas too. LOL. I'll make sure to inspect mine closer. I had heard that once about grapes as well. I too would have never thought about calling the Dept of Ag. I do not like spiders (unless they are stamped of course). Hehehe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I used to work at a craft store and one day one of the customers said there was a snake inside one of the wooden birdhouses from China...sure enough, he was in there and he was definstly alive & well! The store owner took care of it but now I always look into anything I buy..just in case!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Very interesting....i HATE spiders! I would have really freaked out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Guess that just proves fruit is dangerous...should stick to individually wrapped chocolates...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvcat22View Post
Guess that just proves fruit is dangerous...should stick to individually wrapped chocolates...LOL
Ok so This reminded me of the time my FIL bought some chocolate. We to the movies and ate some but not all. Well....when he got home and into the light opened the chocolate to eat some more. There were worms in it!!!
I love chocolate but could not eat it for a while. Too bad I didn't loose any weight. Now I just look at my chocolate first and then shove it in!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by homesteadView Post
Ok so This reminded me of the time my FIL bought some chocolate. We to the movies and ate some but not all. Well....when he got home and into the light opened the chocolate to eat some more. There were worms in it!!!
I love chocolate but could not eat it for a while. Too bad I didn't loose any weight. Now I just look at my chocolate first and then shove it in!
ACK!!! This happened to me too! We went to a 'choclatier' (I know I spelled that wrong...ugh) anyway we were eating it, and saying mmm good in the car. When we stopped where we were going...we got a look in the box...I couldn't eat chcolate for a looooong time after that...blech!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

uck marcie!!!
One day making brocolli and rinsing it but apparently not well enough threw it into the microwave .When it was done there was a huge disgusting worm like grub..expanded eww eeewww ewww..then one time bulgar (cracked Wheat) that had mealy worms??? I always look more carefully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Why I continue to read this thread while eating I'll never know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 972 Likes on 661 Posts

On this topic. About 10 years ago, a new Taco Bell opened in our area my DH and DS brought tacos home. My DS was eating one and yelled. There was the most disgusting, fat, green worm inside the taco. My DH brought the taco back with the worm. They accused him of putting it there to get free tacos. Needless to say we never buy tacos. I make them at home.
Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

This isn't spider related, but gross just the same. Years ago I worked for Walmart. I was the Dept. Manager of the Garden Center and we had gotten in pallets of boxes of lawn chairs.. the kind with tubes.. I don't see them any more.. but anyways.. we were opening boxes and hanging up the chairs and one group of chairs we hung up, something fell out to the floor and it looked like some dirty nasty underwear.. we were all a bit freaked and went and got a rake to scoop them up and put in a trash bag.. eeck!

speaking of spiders.. I went out in the garage the other night to put one of my kids lunch boxes in the freezer and there on the floor near the cooler was a spider that was about 4" or bigger in diameter.. I shrieked and my hubby came and killed it.. it's sitting here in a ziploc bag right here near the computer.. I wanted to find out what kind it was.. but didn't have any luck seeing any pictures that looked like it.. other than a tarantula I seen at Fort Hood, TX crawling in the street, this was the biggest spider I have seen in my life.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Jeez I'm sorry I read all that - now I have the heebie jeebies...I HATE spiders, and any type of bug that can fly. I can imagine half the things you girls have found - I think I would have fainted.

Speaking of which my contribution:
My dh works nights and came home and found a huge beetle on the front door. He said it nearly made him scream like a girl. He manages to shove it into a plastic cup - IT was as big as the cup - I have no idea how he git it in there. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen. It was the as long as my palm with antenneas twice as big. And the pinchers...oh my - I get chills just thinking about it. Needless to say I watched him transfer it into a tupperware from inside the house. It was so creepy you could hear it hissing and scratching inside the container. I can't remember the name now but it is an underground bug that eats tree roots and only comes out rarely and when it does its at night and attracted to light. I researched it to find all that out - it was the scariest bug I've ever seen - it flies and bites! Needless to say I didn't go outside of our house after dark for about 2 months....and I still check around the porch light before I open the screen all the way....ick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

ewwww gross gross gross...NEVER should have come here. LOL Now I am realllllllllllly grossed out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

this is like one of those t.v. shows that you just can't turn off because its SOO disgusting -but soo interesting at the same time..haha

Last summer I went outside with my puppy-and I was playing with him with his toy that was right near our fence-and the fence had our neighbors shed on the other side. Well, I looked up and saw the BIGGEST spider I have ever seen in my life-just sitting there weaving it's little web..It was atleast as big as my hand-if not bigger. So, I panicked a bit-but didn't want the spider to fall to the ground (I didn't want it to EAT my puppy-HAHA) so I went to our shed and got some wasp and bee killer...

I kid you not-when I sprayed that thing with the killer it literally HISSED...
oo-and earlier this year-I opened up a packet of Gushers (those fruit-snack type things that kids eat)...and there were little mealy worms in them...snacking on the gushers..SICK)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Not crafting related, but a darned good bug story....
Several years ago I was a substitute teacher, and I got called to take a high school science class. THe lesson plans said only "students should finish their lab".
OK, no problem. I get to class with my instructions/lesson plans (such as they were) and told the students that they needed to finish their lab. THey proceeded to walk to the back of the room, where there were several big plastic containers with lids, and black plastic inside. Well, the kids reached in the plastic containers....and pulled out Brazilian Hissing Cockroaches that were as big as my fist (they SEEMED like they were about the size of a small cat!!!) I freaked, but of course I couldn't show it--that would have been the kiss of death for a sub. So I really tried to stay calm, but I stayed in the front of the room and didn't venture to the tables where the cockroaches were!!
Never forgot that day!

isewquilts2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny HawkinsView Post
I posted this in Everyday Chit Chat but thought some of you may not ever go there....

When I was unstacking/unwrapping the buckets($1.00 Spot) I found a web,spider(dead) and what looked like eggs in the bottom of one of the buckets.

I know it could have come from Target's warehouse but since they were made in and shipped from China the thought hit me that maybe the Dept Of AG might want to see it.

I think weird stuff sometimes.

I called them yesterday and they DO want me to send it to them.

I packed it's little carc-a-s-s in a hard plastic case with the paper towel I wiped it out of the bucket with,boxed it up and it is waiting to go to the PO.

I put that bucket aside and did not use it.

They told me to include a note with all my info on it and asked to be contacted with the results.

No telling when I will hear from them.
Wow! I would never have thought to contact The Department of Agriculture! Please post back here if they contact you again with their findings. I would be interested to learn what they come back with....IF they contact you with their findings.

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

speaking of spiders.. I went out in the garage the other night to put one of my kids lunch boxes in the freezer and there on the floor near the cooler was a spider that was about 4" or bigger in diameter.. I shrieked and my hubby came and killed it.. it's sitting here in a ziploc bag right here near the computer.. I wanted to find out what kind it was.. but didn't have any luck seeing any pictures that looked like it.. other than a tarantula I seen at Fort Hood, TX crawling in the street, this was the biggest spider I have seen in my life.
Pam,
You probably found a Carolina wolf spider. I know about them because I found one in my kitchen last year! They're not dangerous unless you count the heart attack that they cause! I had to call my kids to see him because I knew my husband wouldn't believe me when I told him how big it was. Here's a picture, but they can be different shades of gray or brown. Is this your critter? This isn't my kitchen-just a picture off the net.
Attached Thumbnails
Spider In My Target Buckets....-hogna_helluo_cropped.jpg  

Last edited by Susan_T; 10-17-2008 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

This is not about a spider but a bug. I opened a can of corn and poured it into a pot to heat. Before serving it I stirred it one more time. I was glad I did because there was a worm in the corn. I now pour any canned food in a bowl and check it out first before pouring into other food or pot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Default That's Exactly How the Fire Ant Got Here

Glad you thought to do that -- after all, we've imported some horrid little creatures that would never have been here, were it not for modern commerce and transportation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaduckView Post
This is not about a spider but a bug. I opened a can of corn and poured it into a pot to heat. Before serving it I stirred it one more time. I was glad I did because there was a worm in the corn. I now pour any canned food in a bowl and check it out first before pouring into other food or pot.

I had the same thing happen. I don't use canned corn anymore. Totally grossed me out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Wolf Spiders

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Pam,
You probably found a Carolina wolf spider. I know about them because I found one in my kitchen last year! They're not dangerous unless you count the heart attack that they cause! I had to call my kids to see him because I knew my husband wouldn't believe me when I told him how big it was. Here's a picture, but they can be different shades of gray or brown. Is this your critter? This isn't my kitchen-just a picture off the net.
Those things are HUGE...I just recently found that they live in Minnesota and Wisconsin as well! We were camping 2 summers ago in a tent camper in a remote campsite near Mille Lacs....and just before going to bed I went behind the camper to 'go potty' without having to hike to the bathrooms.

Meanwhile I hear this scampering sound in the dirt and I quick turned to look for it. It was just moonlight-y enough to see this huge flat thing the size of my hand scampering towards a tree. I yelled for DH and a flashlight. When he came out we saw this HUGE SPIDER. We read in one of the park flyers all about them the next day, and it said they can jump too!!

Needless to say, I never again peed outside in the dark before shining my flashlight EVERYWHERE. The next summer we upgraded to a regular camper...INDOOR BATHROOM.

And we never camped near Mille Lacs again.

Last edited by cjbapp; 10-17-2008 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I hate spiders - will run screaming bloody murder if I see one. I told my fiance' that he will write in his marriage vows to promise to be the 'remover of all spiders' for me. :mrgreen: He just rolled his eyes at me & laughed.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Pam,

We live in an area that is part rural, part built up. I swear these spiders are attracted to cornfields. As soon as they start harvesting they go to my front and back porches. I HATE them! I know that they are going to be here soon as I watched the farmer getting his equiptment ready this morning while I was watching out the front door for my son's school bus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Ok, now I have the creepy crawlies. As much as I love chocolate, I may have to think twice next time I buy some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just saw this on msn and thought I'd share. Yuck!!
Check out this web page and read the story and see a picture of it. Again I say YUCK!
Bug from Borneo is the world's longest
Insect is nearly the length of a human arm, British scientists say

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27228564/?GT1=43001

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, I feel like I have something crawling all over me! I have heard of the ones in bananas, and always check mine. Granny--please make sure to post what they tell you! Very creepy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Ewww! I just bought some of those on Wed. I am going now to check and see if there's anything in mine...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #38  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by homesteadView Post
I just saw this on msn and thought I'd share. Yuck!!
Check out this web page and read the story and see a picture of it. Again I say YUCK!
Bug from Borneo is the world's longest
Insect is nearly the length of a human arm, British scientists say

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27228564/?GT1=43001
I am SO not clicking on that link! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterPixieView Post
I am SO not clicking on that link! LOL!!
yeah - me neither...some things are better off NOT being seen... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Wink

jeeeze! I've been looking for a way to get back on track with losing some weight. I think I found a way! When I get hungry I'll just come back & reread all these posts. I'm afraid to eat anything now!! (Yeah right, I'd probably think grubs tasted like peanut butter)
Reply With Quote Likes