Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Are All Square Punches Alike?

I've been searching this site for the answer to a question I have about square punches. I'm not sure that I found a "concrete" answer. I would like to get two sizes of square punches to make window cards, and also for layering purposes. I called a company and asked how far their McGill square punches reached so the "window" doesn't end up at the very top of my card. She told me that ALL square punches, even the Stampin' Up ones, reach the same distance and that Marvy makes the Stampin' Up punches and that they'd be no different and would reach no further. If it's true that ALL square punches reach the same distance in from the edge of a card, then can "window" cards be made from square punches - no matter what company made them? She told me she's been in the business for over 15 years and she's had many complaints on why they don't make 'long reaching' punches for square and round so people can make descent looking "window" cards. (The only reason I'm looking at punches other than Stampin' Up is because I want a bigger "window" and a little more space to show off the layers. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

The reach may be the same, but not all punches are equal. I find the SU punches easy on my hands. some of the punches I bought in the past are really hard to punch through thick cardstock. I don't like to use them, I love using my SU punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With regards to the reaching distances of most punches large enough for windows, I'd say, just by comparing all the punches I've purchased over the years, that what the lady told you is most likely true, generally speaking.

I have some very large McGill and Marvy punches that feature 2", 2 1/2" squares, that still do not reach as far as I wish for making window cards.

The only other alternative is to use:

1. Craft knife, to get the approximate size where you want it--I resort to this only as last resort as I am exceedingly lazy

2. Coluzzle template or similar shape cuttting system to get the size and location where you want it--I invested in these because I like the price and ease of storage/transport and they are always coming out with new templates

3. Pre-fabricated window cards (www.memoryboxco.com , for retail visit www.impressrubberstamps.com ) Great, but not always available in the size + color I want, and can be costly

4. Dye cutting machine with dies that are designed to make window cards (these come in both traditional die cutting AND in the new computer/laser type, but these last ones are considerably expensive)--I can't afford either of these and would have no space to store them even if I had one.

Last edited by JulieHRR; 10-09-2005 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #4  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Good question as I wondered this too. I'm terrible with a craft knife. Ugh.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallyismydoxy
. . . and that Marvy makes the Stampin' Up punches and that they'd be no different
Actually Paper Shapers/EK Success is the manufacturer of the SU! lever style punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

...and they seem to have an amazing range of both square and circle punches that go from 1/4 inch all the way to 13/8 (square) and I think 1 1/2 inch circle. Trouble is I ended up ordering rather a lot of them ...just in case. For layering it seems that 1/8 inch difference is about right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I actually just saw, in AC Moore, the "Whale of a Punch" (EK Success) punches with a new addition of a 1" punch that would coordinate with SU's 1 1/4" punch really well. It's the same design (gray with a lever) and will definitely reach farther than the CM punches or the Marvy. I'm spending a coupon on that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2005, 06:39 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

The Creative Memories square punches have no range at all and I wished I would have saved my money and bought the SU kind! They are ok for layering but are hard to punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #9  
Duchess of Dork

AT Wal-Mart I saw that Fiskars now carries an Anywhere Punch that has several dies you can put in for different shapes. However, the dies look much smaller than the squares that most companies carry. This may help you out.

A friend also taught me to make 'anywhere squares' using my fiskars/SU trimmer. Since it has measurements on it, you can cut 1" sides anywhere on the paper. much more work than a punch! (It's also how we realized how crooked my old Fiskars trimmer was cutting! Her square, well, it wasn't square!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 AM   #10  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Lori,

You must have MY Fiskars trimmer. Nothing I cut is perfectly squared up. :(

I'm going to have to invest in one of those Carl Cutters, I think....

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura7712
The Creative Memories square punches have no range at all and I wished I would have saved my money and bought the SU kind! They are ok for layering but are hard to punch.

totally agree....they are terrific for layering, so I am going to live with them and maybe buy the SU circle punches for getting "deeper" into the card front...

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

i must unfortunately agree with whats been said about CM punches...they are good for punching out the shapes and are relativly easy to use however they are much better suited to scrapbooking...and not general crafting/stamping. i find its hard to use them to make anything but a shape that's about a quarter inch from the edge of the paper. my bf's mom is a CM consultant and has all the shape makers they sell....and i must say they work wonderfully for what she does in her workshops but not for a stamper. anyhow i hth your decision. i have had to learn to get handy with a craft knife for those window cards!...practice makes perfect
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura7712

I totally agree. While I generally like my CM punches, the fact that the range is only so far really annoys me. I am a HUGE fan of the Whale of a Punch brand and the SU ones being the same I am thinking of trading mine in for the SU ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Wow, I've never seen McGill square punches that go up to two inches and larger!! The biggest I've found has been 1 7/8".
Reply With Quote Likes