Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Stamping: Streamlining the process?

I am the mom of 3 (5, 3, and 2 weeks) so I have very few pockets of time to squeeze in stamping time. Any ideas on how to streamline the process?

I usually CASE something, but I find that the digging out of supplies and cutting and ... take so much time that I only get one or two cards done in an hour. I'd love to be able to create something original!

I live in a small space, so my own stamp space is not an option, but most of my stuff is easy to get to. I just can't leave it out as a work in progress.

So I need to be able to quickly make a card (or more than one!) and clean it up in about an hour...

Any ideas?
I am loved by the King, and it makes my heart want to sing!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

My favorite tip is once you have all your stuff out, make multiples (as many as you have time to do!). I find that designing the original card (or cutting everything to the right size if it's a CASE) is what takes time. After doing the first one, a copy can be made in a matter of minutes. For example, cut all the base cards at once. Then cut all the first layers at once. Then cut all the second layers. Then all the ribbons. And so on. If it's a generic card - a floral for example - you can even leave off the sentiment (Happy Birthday, Thinking of You, Get Well Soon, etc.) and then stamp that when you're ready to send the card.

Another thought...always keep one of each card you make. I've started writing all the dimensions on a post-it note and keeping it with the card so I can quickly make another of the same design in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by windycitystamperView Post

Another thought...always keep one of each card you make. I've started writing all the dimensions on a post-it note and keeping it with the card so I can quickly make another of the same design in the future.
That's a great idea! You're right. The dimensions and such are the most time consuming. Definitely going to start doing that!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I like to take a few minutes at the end of the stamping session, to at least plan, if not completely layout, the next project. I figure out what card I want to make, the colors, the embellies, etc. THis seems to help me, and I don't feel like I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what I am going do at the begininning of the next stamping opportunity. Cause like you I have liminted time to stamp.

JMHO
Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Some great suggestions so far. I find I am most productive if I only allow myself to use a limited set of supplies. So, if I decide to make a birthday card, i will grab some stamps I want to use, a few sheets of paper and a spool of ribbon. I try to work with only these supplies and it's amazing what will happen with just those supplies. I often find that I am most creative and productive this way!

my blog: ::::::::::::::::www.amusenews.typepad.com::::::::::::::::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Here are a couple of things I do: Pre cut cardstock to a card size that you typically use and that way it is on hand. Also, when you stamp, stamp 4-6 extras on a sheet of card stock, color, and store for a later date. Then when you want to use that image again, take it out and use it.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #7  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbethView Post
...Any ideas on how to streamline the process? ... find that the digging out of supplies and cutting take so much time ... So I need to be able to quickly make a card (or more than one!) and clean it up in about an hour...
definitely you should try one-sheet-wonders. so, your first allotment of time might be spent doing all the stamping. stamp up several sheets of cardstock using different color combinations. then, your next craft time could be spent cutting the cardstock into preset sizes [using the templates], then your next craft time is all assembly - you could spend one 30-min/hour stamping up different sentiments [on punched shapes; like card candy] to add to the card when you're ready to use it, or designate the card occasion when you assemble it.

there's lots of OSW templates in the galleries, but i've linked you to mine here and here.

also, have you seen the sheetload issues? these would fit your 'streamline' request i think.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

another idea is to cut time on backgrounds

If you like to use background stamps, but (like me) hate cleaning the brayer that I use with them, make multiple backgrounds with the color ink you have on your brayer. Then, clean the brayer and you have a ton of backgrounds to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

At Christmas, I usually make multiples of the same card. So I first make a prototype then write down all the steps involved in re-creating it. Then when I have stamping time, I do one or two of the steps (usually in order) then do another one or two next time. Some of the steps I can even do while watching tv with hubby (like coloring in pre-stamped images) so I don't miss any family time. Also, by doing all the cutting in one step this saves having to get out the trimmer and other tools the next time. I have small baskets that I keep the various parts in so that when I'm ready to continue, I don't have to find everything, just pull out the appropriate basket with the cut parts and the adhesive or whatever and go.

Since your time is limited, you might consider stamping a number of images to color in then when your kids are doing their coloring, you can join them and do both the mommy and stamper thing at the same time. Just make sure to stamp a few extra for them because they will want to color what you are coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

thanks for the post, i too need to start power stamping and get way caught up!!

MWBS
Mom to 2 girls...love being creative...in everything I do...
DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE......Walt Disney
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I personally have felt that having a design idea is the most hardest. Once I have the design ready (like my own or CASEing) then I am all set to go. So, whenever I get design ideas, I jot them down in a note book.

Plus I also follow some of the ideas that have been mentioned in the thread above, like

Stamping some extra images, stamping extra backgrounds. For example, I if am embossing some floral image for a card, I will do a few extra so that I have them ready. If I am punching out some sentiments using word window punch, I do a few extra so that I have that handy as well. So next time I can use all these and put together a card very easily.

Just my two cents on this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by windycitystamperView Post
I LOVE this idea! Thanks!!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh_dallasView Post
I personally have felt that having a design idea is the most hardest. Once I have the design ready (like my own or CASEing) then I am all set to go.
Silly question, What does CASE mean?

www.Anne-Holliday.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedYupView Post
Silly question, What does CASE mean?
Depending on who you ask, it can mean:
Copy and Share Everywhere
Copy and Share with Everyone
Copy and Selectively Edit

Basically, it's copying something that has inspired you. When posting to the gallery, it's nice to give credit to the original designer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I have all the colors of cardstock cut into half-sheets, all ready to use to make a card. I have my cardstock in a file cabinet (I'm an SU demo, so I have a LOT of cardstock), and I have a file for "Rich Regals Half-sheets", for example, or "In Colors Half-Sheets".

I also have all the colors of cardstock cut into quarter sheets, so when I need to make a layer, it's all ready to cut to the correct size. I have more quarter sheets of white and vanilla than the other colors, and right now, the new In Colors. I keep my quarter-sheets in a photo box, and I use the dividers to put them into color families. It's easy to figure out the colors if they're with their color families.

These two methods of "cardstock management" has helped me make the most of my stamping time! Hope this helps someone!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

What is "word window punch" ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by treysmamawView Post
What is "word window punch" ?
ooh this is one of best investment ever. it is a punch from SU that kind of cuts out a rounded rectangle. I am not sure If I am describing it correctly.

Here are a few of my cards that uses it, you can see that that the sentiment(s) were punched out with word window punch.

Simple Card Swap by bh_dallas at Splitcoaststampers
Thinking of You by bh_dallas at Splitcoaststampers
For A Friend by bh_dallas at Splitcoaststampers
Tag Birthday Card by bh_dallas at Splitcoaststampers
Scallopped Birthday Card by bh_dallas at Splitcoaststampers

Let me see if I can find you some links to the punch itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you, now I understand. Your cards are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Along the lines of the good suggestion to precut a bunch of layers, you might go to a site called Sheet Load of Cards. Each monthe they show a new layout with paper cutting diagrams for one or more of the layout plus a sketch of the layout. Also show finished variations. Some I find easier and quicker than others, but good for inspiration. I also like the idea of keeping measurements of your own cards. I print the sketches by Rox that I like and write her dimensions on the printout. Thanks, Rox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't read all the posts, but I'll tell you what I like to do to streamline the cardmaking process. I make lots of cards for the troops, so when I can get things going quickly, it makes my life a lot easier.

I pick a card sketch I like. For ideas, check out the Card Sketch Weekly Challenge here on SCS. Rox71 manages the thread and her card always includes the dimensions she used.

Also, look for one sheet wonder templates in the Downloads/Templates forum here on SCS.

I also like to use the sketch ideas from Sheetload: http://sheetload.blogspot.com/

I take a few hours (or however long I have) to cut DP and CS. I put this and any ribbon or flowers I think I might use in a large ziploc bag. I also include anything I have printed out with dimensions or directions I am CASEing.

If I am going to stamp an image and color, I stamp a bunch of images and put them in a baggie with my colored pencils. Then when I have some time to sit (I know, mothers of young children don't have much time to sit) I will color the images.

Eventually, when I am ready to pull everything together, I can pull out a ziploc bag and start assembling.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Default Power stamping

Hi,

I also make one card to keep for a sample. But. I clip off the back, so I only have the front! It prevents me from using it, and thinking oh I can make another for a sample (I likely wouldn't remember exactly how I did it!)

I write out the directions, and what's needed to make the card and paste that to the back side. I have sample and directions all in one piece of card stock.

I also keep these samples in a photo storage box. With dividers, saying MEN, WOMEN, KIDS and ANNIVERSARY.

about the Anniversary cards: I use one design per year. every couple gets that one. I write on the stamp side the date and the couple I first used it for, and when I get back to that date/couple, I know it's time for a new design. I also try to keep Anniversary cards pretty simple, so it's easy to mass-produce them.... Guess it's about time to get off the soap-box!!

Nancy - the Farm Gal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmgalView Post
Hi,

I also make one card to keep for a sample. But. I clip off the back, so I only have the front! It prevents me from using it, and thinking oh I can make another for a sample (I likely wouldn't remember exactly how I did it!)

I write out the directions, and what's needed to make the card and paste that to the back side. I have sample and directions all in one piece of card stock.

I also keep these samples in a photo storage box. With dividers, saying MEN, WOMEN, KIDS and ANNIVERSARY.

about the Anniversary cards: I use one design per year. every couple gets that one. I write on the stamp side the date and the couple I first used it for, and when I get back to that date/couple, I know it's time for a new design. I also try to keep Anniversary cards pretty simple, so it's easy to mass-produce them.... Guess it's about time to get off the soap-box!!

Nancy - the Farm Gal
Nancy- I love your ideas! You sound very organized!! I'm going to have to give this a try! TFS

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

A friend once told me "Never make just one card. It is just as easy to make two identical cards while everything is out." This way you have one to use and one to save on your stash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
Here are a couple of things I do: Pre cut cardstock to a card size that you typically use and that way it is on hand. Also, when you stamp, stamp 4-6 extras on a sheet of card stock, color, and store for a later date. Then when you want to use that image again, take it out and use it.
I have started doing something similar. When I get a new package of Whisper White or Kraft, I cut at least 5 sheets (10 cards) in half for my A-2 cards. That way my base is always ready. Plus its always better to make 2 cards. You already have everything out, don't you? Just don't put the sentiment on the extra so you can add that later.

If you check out the sketch challenges here on SCS, Rox usually includes the dimensions she uses when making her sample. So not only do you have the sketch but you have the dimensions to cut your paper, too.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I do it in steps. I learned this when I was making several cards alike for my card kits. Do your stamping, then clean that up. When you can come back later, do the next step, and so on. It works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I do a lot of assembly line and work in batches kind of thing.

I always make more of one card as I am design it so I can assembly line it later and do more of the same or similar.

I use a small pencil box or one of the SU boxes that stamps come in to put a bunch of things to work on while I am waiting at kids practices. I cut up a bunch of white c/s and stamp images on them to color and pack them with the markers in the box. That is about all I can get done at practices but it uses my time and I can get quite a lot done.

At home I cut a bunch of packs of c/s into card sized bases so I don't have to use my time for doing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I've been doing a lot of image swaps lately and found it's helped me speed up my stamping too. I just take an image (or stamp one out) and color when I have time using prisma pencils or markers or watercolor. Then I save the colored images until I need a card with just that picture. I can get right into cutting/design and it definitely goes faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't read all the posts so I am apologizing in advance if someone has mentioned this...

Check out http://sheetload.blogspot.com/ It shows you how to make a bunch of cards in a short amount of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I agree with all the suggestions about assembly line work etc. When my kids were little and I had little time, I did this and always made multiples.

I want to add one more thing that I did. I always kept a copy for me of cards I made several or lots of. On the back of each card, I wrote who I sent it to and the date sent. This way I could pull it out and not have to remember if I sent one to them or someone else in the same family already. This saved me from some uneeded embarrassment!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by treysmamawView Post
Thank you, now I understand. Your cards are beautiful!
You are welcome and thanks for the compliments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

there have been some GREAT ideas shared in this thread.....I tend to stick with "assembly line" stamping and do several cards at once since it takes me more time to come up with a plan than it does to stamp the card. Really should start keeping track of what I have sent and to whom, I guess...that was a good tip as well.

OSW (one sheet wonder) stamping is a great thing....I love it and enjoy being able to make up a big stack of cards fast using the one stamped sheet concept.

Designer paper can really help your cards move along quickly...a strip or two strategically placed adds a lot to the card with very little investment of time or stamping dollars.

And then, my new personal favorite..the simple single layer card! I don't mean plunk down one image and that's it, but there are some absolutely fantastic single layer cards in a recent challenge thread I saw and what a great thing! Cute, quick and easy...my kinda card!

Check the challenges thread on the home page, the single layer card challenge should be there, I think. Some great ideas!! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

ok, that's the link for the Dirty Girl alumni challenge recently for single layer cards, great stuff!!! Be sure to check it out if you are looking for knock out cards with minimal layers. Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

I want to share what for me has been an enormous time-saver! Whenever I use the Stampamajig to do specific placement (which is often) I use a square of vellum instead of the plastic sheet that comes with the corner guide. Then I keep the vellum image in the plastic case with the stamp set, to use again and again! I had a little free time last weekend so I did an entire alphabet set on little squares of vellum so all the letters are ready to be placed quickly and easily.

Juno
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Juno,

that is an absolutely MARVELOUS Idea!!!

I'm gonna have to remember that one!

Thanks,
Nancy - the farm gal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Great ideas here and thanks to those who shared the Sheet Load site!

My etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you take your paper to Office Max or a similar store they will cut it in half for you for under a dollar a cut - I buy a 250 sheet stack of white and have the base for 500 cards without picking up a paper cutter. I also have done stacks of colored as well.
I make cards for Keiki's kids and it saves a ton of time.
I also started a binder with supplies and sample of the cards that I want to make next, I should use it more than I do - but when I do it is a great time saver. I just pull out that "page" and have a card to work on.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

I am a photographer, and a stamper. I have made over 100 cards in two days with a simple standard layout. I print some of my favorite photos in wallet size. Layer it on a black piece of cardstock. I usually print 6 of each photo. Then I decide what card color I want. Pull out background stamps, and my favorite "sayings". I make birthday, anniversary, plain with no saying, thanks, etc. It is a great way to replinish my cards, and I also give them as gifts.

I think I have a few in my gallery. I did 27 different pictures last time (6 of each). My mom, mother in law, grandma, etc. love these as gifts too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I was also going to suggest Sheetload. Last week I cut all the pieces out to make 18 cards, then when my friend came to stamp, I put them together and stamped them all! So after cutting, I did 18 cards in about 2 hours. I was impressed, lol.

Anne

Edit to add- I never really used patterned paper in my cards until I found Sheetload- it really makes some nice cards, and you can SO easily change the whole feel depending on colors and paper.

Last edited by thechecker; 10-16-2008 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of the things I do to make a lot of cards quickly is buy the GP 110 lb cardstock at Sams by the ream...normally 3 at a time, then I go next door and have it cut in half, some horizontally and some vertically. Then I fold it and burnish it during slow times at work. This way I generally have at least 1000 bases ready at any given time. I also will Cuttlebug many many of the size 4.0 x 5.25 fronts in different colors at one time so that is a quick easy card to throw together and finish off. This is one of the ways I am able to supply two swim teams with 1000 cards each to start for their fund raising and also supply the troops with so many and my church bookstore...oh and my husbands desk...alway sitting on my fanny making cards...lol
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! Thanks, ladies, for all the great ideas! I love the card kit idea. Definitely going to make some of those up. And Sheetload... wow! What a great site! That is my next to-do.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes