Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #1  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Big Shot vs Spellbinders Wizard.

Okay, I know I can count on you for advice.

I have a CB... and just purchased a LOT of nestablities... and I was thinking maybe it would be best for me to purchase the Wizard so the sandwiches are most correct and I won't have trouble with my CB B plates breaking when I emboss with my new nestie dies.

If you had to chose a second die cut machine.. would you go for the spell binder Wizard... or the new to SU Big Shot Die Cut Machine??? I intend to primarily use the die cut machine for my nesties.. but then again... some of those new SU dies look great.

Any knowledge greatly appreciated.. and does the SU Big Shot come with everything I would need to use my nestibilities if I went that route??

How wide is the Big Shot vs the Wizard - and how much more space does it take up??

Thanks so much!!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #2  
Full of Malarky

bump! for information! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say the BIG SHOT because you can use ALL dies in that machine even your cuttlebug. This would be the most profitable, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by april0415@embarqmaView Post
I would say the BIG SHOT because you can use ALL dies in that machine even your cuttlebug. This would be the most profitable, I think.
You can use all the dies in the Wizard too. You can also use Fiskars texture plates and lots of other things (PM if you would like a link to a user's group). However, if you are an SU demo it might make $en$e to order from yourself (discount + sales volume and you can demo it to customers).

I own a Wizard but don't have a dedicated space for it (or any other diecut machine) so it is rarely used. My crafting space recently went from a half-basement to a tiny part of the dining room and most of my supplies are packed. I chose it over other machines because the important parts are metal yet it is lightweight and has a small footprint (for when I do have it out). I also have a preference for the dies made by Spellbinders as they seem to be very deeply etched and I prefer to use dies and machine by the same mfr.

A friend owns a Big Kick (which I've read is the same or very similar) to the Big Shot and it works very well with a variety of dies etc. but takes more space than the Wizard.

There are lots of factors to consider and I am sure many SCSers will provide input to help you decide.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

If you are looking for a machine that is going to work perfectly right out of the box for use with the nestabilities, the Wizard would be the choice since it is the machine they were designed for. You can use all of the other consumer dies in it and get great results.

One of the main reasons it was right for me is that it is all metal construction with no plastic parts. Durability is important when you are hard on tools like I am. I push it to the limit which I would be afraid to do with some of the other machines. For me, it was the right choice.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #6  
Full of Malarky

Thanks!! It is all great advice.. I guess since my primary concern is to have a good die cut machine that would work with the nesties.. ( I just purchased the full deal from Ellen Hutson's store - ) - it maybe makes sense to go with the wizard. It's great to know that it all metal - one of the things that has worried me about the CB is that I have read that the B plates crack sometimes when embossing with the nesties - and that even the CB itself can break..

Are there sandwiches to use the Wizard with the new dies from the Big Shot?? I am not a demo - but I do like the look of some of the new dies with the big shot.

If any one has anymore advice - please let me know.. I have not yet ordered my die cutter.. but I am planning do so fairly soon!

Thanks again to everyone who has answered so far!!

Deborah

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #7  
Full of Malarky

Hmmm... I think I am leaning towards the Wizard... thanks to all of you for your posts!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Hi Deborah, I have both machines and will be back with more info!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Okay, here is a picture of the two side by side. The BS is larger, but I don't find it to be inconvenient at all. The Wizard measures @ 7"x11", the BS 8.25"x14".

I LOVE my Wizard and ONLY bought the BS because my crafting has been happening at night lately and the Wizard has the ratchet noise. It's not that loud but I have a 1 1/2 year old who is a light sleeper and I'm right outside her bedroom door.

The BS works well (nice and smooth), however, I personally like how the Nesties work with the Wizard better than the BS. There was a learning curve with the BS since I was so used to the Wizard (I've had it 2.5 years now), and I'm still tinkering to get it perfect. I like the fact that the Wizard is metal and is STURDY. The BS is sturdy too, but in a hard plastic sort of way...if that makes sense.

I hope I covered everything, I have a LOUD household right now...kids are going nuts and DH(drummer) is practicing double bass next to me! Gotta love them! :-D
You will need to get an embossing mat w/the BS, but otherwise it will come with everything you need to use the Nesties.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Big Shot vs Spellbinders Wizard.-comparison.jpg  
Old 10-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #10  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
Okay, here is a picture of the two side by side. The BS is larger, but I don't find it to be inconvenient at all. The Wizard measures @ 7"x11", the BS 8.25"x14".

I LOVE my Wizard and ONLY bought the BS because my crafting has been happening at night lately and the Wizard has the ratchet noise. It's not that loud but I have a 1 1/2 year old who is a light sleeper and I'm right outside her bedroom door.

The BS works well (nice and smooth), however, I personally like how the Nesties work with the Wizard better than the BS. There was a learning curve with the BS since I was so used to the Wizard (I've had it 2.5 years now), and I'm still tinkering to get it perfect. I like the fact that the Wizard is metal and is STURDY. The BS is sturdy too, but in a hard plastic sort of way...if that makes sense.

I hope I covered everything, I have a LOUD household right now...kids are going nuts and DH(drummer) is practicing double bass next to me! Gotta love them! :-D
You will need to get an embossing mat w/the BS, but otherwise it will come with everything you need to use the Nesties.

Hope this helps!

Oh thanks so much!! I think you have cemented my choice.. The only troubling thing that I heard today from my LSS is that the new wizard has been recalled due to troubles with the racheting / gears.. does anyone know much about that?? She said it is really difficult to use - the new red one... I was hoping any that I can find for sale would be non recalled products.. I guess it is best I call the online seller. Sadly, I can only think of one place in my city that carries the Wizard - so I reduced to purchasing on line!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #11  
Full of Malarky

Wow! The big shot sure is big!! I like the size of the wizard!!! Thanks for the picture!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
Oh thanks so much!! I think you have cemented my choice.. The only troubling thing that I heard today from my LSS is that the new wizard has been recalled due to troubles with the racheting / gears.. does anyone know much about that?? She said it is really difficult to use - the new red one...
Spellbinders has begun shipping the new Wizards. In fact, mine arrived this week, and I've been playing with it. I've managed to get a couple of sandwiches jammed, but Customer Service was able to walk me through taking it apart to remove the jam. How many die cut machines can you take apart yourself and put back together again good as new? I love how sturdy it is, but have to admit I'm still learning so I've been disgusted with it a few times when I couldn't get a sandwich to engage.

Another plus is that I think I'm building up the muscles in my right arm from running the sandwiches through. Good luck! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Oh thanks so much!! I think you have cemented my choice.. The only troubling thing that I heard today from my LSS is that the new wizard has been recalled due to troubles with the racheting / gears.. does anyone know much about that?? She said it is really difficult to use - the new red one... I was hoping any that I can find for sale would be non recalled products.. I guess it is best I call the online seller. Sadly, I can only think of one place in my city that carries the Wizard - so I reduced to purchasing on line!
Depending on your outlook, not so bad buying online. Many times you can score a much better deal! I just purchased a Wizard from Ritz Camera online for $65. Not sure which model it is BUT for the price I figured it was worth it to save the $34. (If it turns out to be a recalled one then I'll call Spellbinders and see how to exchange it.) I put that savings toward more nesties! They also have NO sales tax (except in FL) and free shipping right now. Just thought I'd share with you. My Joann's, Michaels & Hobby Lobby do not carry the Wizard only 10 spellbinder's dies max. (none of which were nesties). :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I am unsure why you want something other than you CB.
I use spellbinders dies and nesties all the time with my CB with great success.
I use the red mat from home depot and it gives a very crisp emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Wow! Great information here!! I use Nesties on all pretty much all my cards. I have made close to a thousand cuts using my Cuttlebug, and I'm still using the original plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #16  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwfmttaView Post
I am unsure why you want something other than you CB.
I use spellbinders dies and nesties all the time with my CB with great success.
I use the red mat from home depot and it gives a very crisp emboss.
When reading about the Cb being used with the nesties - in particular using the embossing mat - I read on Ellen Hutson's blog that she has broken a couple of her CB B plates while embossing nesties with her CB - and I cannot remember who... maybe my LSS which carries a wizard but advised me against purchasing at this time due to the recall - told me that she had heard of people breaking the gear mechanism of their CB while embossing nesties with their CB.. and even so - she did not want to sell me that wizard as she said it was so difficult to use -so I don't think she was trying to sell a wizard to me! :-D I just don't want to break my CB!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a cuttlebug and that is the only thing I have. I use it all the time with my nestability dies and have not had a b plate break yet. I think I've had my first set of nestabilities for about a year now. If you have a cuttlebug, you might want to give it a try first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the cuttllebug and the wizard. I love the fact that the wizard is solid metal. I also found that the wizard embosses the Nestabilities a bit better than the cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:24 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I have a BIG KICK and the nestabilities works great with it. Cyndi
Attached Thumbnails
Big Shot vs Spellbinders Wizard.-scalloped-thanks.jpg   Big Shot vs Spellbinders Wizard.-scalloped-village.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

The purple Wizard was recalled a few months ago. ;) My gf had ordered it had it arrive and sent it back. She got a Cuttlebug instead. Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 AM   #21  
Full of Malarky

I am really appreciating all of the information that people are giving me in this thread!! Thanks so much!!!

And thanks for letting me know that indeed the new purple wizard was indeed recalled. I'm not sure if now there is a red one...

Maybe I should just wait for my nesties to arrive in the mail - and see how they work in my CB....and then perhaps purchase the Wizard if I am not satisfied.. I so much appreciate all of this info!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #22  
Full of Malarky

Wonderful cards with the nesties and the Big Kick! So it works well too??? I think I have seen a couple of those at my local Michaels...we don't have Hobby Lobby or Joann's or all of those big Hobby Store Chains in Canada. Just our LSS and Michaels.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I am really appreciating all of the information that people are giving me in this thread!! Thanks so much!!!

And thanks for letting me know that indeed the new purple wizard was indeed recalled. I'm not sure if now there is a red one...

Maybe I should just wait for my nesties to arrive in the mail - and see how they work in my CB....and then perhaps purchase the Wizard if I am not satisfied.. I so much appreciate all of this info!!
Yes, that might be your best bet, see how you like them w/your CB. If I had the BS first, I would have loved that first and probably would not have given the Wizard a second thought. But since I had the Wizard first (and the Nesties were made to work best with it) it seems only natural I would prefer it to any other machine.

That being said I bought my BS (cute, isn't it?) at Archiver's with a coupon.

It really does come down to personal preference and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you! :-D
Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

The new raspberry Wizard was the one that was recalled. It was a problem with the mats and that has been straightened out and the machines are shipping.

Being on Spellbinder's design team, I have both the purple and the raspberry Wizards. The reason they did a new Wizard was to make it easier to feed the mats through. The raspberry Wizard does that very well. I find it easier to use than the purple one, but even that never gave me any problems. The trick with either of the machines is to make sure that your sandwich is parallel to your work surface as you are feeding them. If it is, you will have no problem.

The new one does seems to be a bit tighter than the other one, but that will loosen up a bit with use. There is one change that they have suggested for using Cuttlebug embossing folders in the raspberry machine. The sandwich for using them is as follows:

white master mat
folder with paper inside
tan embossing mat
blue mat from charm embossing kit

I hope that this will help straighten out any incorrect information you may have heard.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #25  
Full of Malarky

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathyCView Post
The new raspberry Wizard was the one that was recalled. It was a problem with the mats and that has been straightened out and the machines are shipping.

Being on Spellbinder's design team, I have both the purple and the raspberry Wizards. The reason they did a new Wizard was to make it easier to feed the mats through. The raspberry Wizard does that very well. I find it easier to use than the purple one, but even that never gave me any problems. The trick with either of the machines is to make sure that your sandwich is parallel to your work surface as you are feeding them. If it is, you will have no problem.

The new one does seems to be a bit tighter than the other one, but that will loosen up a bit with use. There is one change that they have suggested for using Cuttlebug embossing folders in the raspberry machine. The sandwich for using them is as follows:

white master mat
folder with paper inside
tan embossing mat
blue mat from charm embossing kit

I hope that this will help straighten out any incorrect information you may have heard.

Cathy
Thanks so much Cathy! That really does help straighten out the information that I have heard.. Thanks so much! Does spell binders ship to Canada??? That way I wil know I am getting one of the new red raspberry Wizards - and not perhaps one from another company that might be carrying one of recalled wizards ( or more accurately - a raspberry wizard with the mat problem

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Wizard and the cuttlebug machines. My first die cutting machine is the Wizard. The reason my first choice was the Wizard during the time because it was universal and was the first die cutting machine that excepts all the dies our there on the market. Plus the durability the strength and pressure it gives when using my cuttlebug embossing folders. The cuttlebug was a gift.
If you like smashing bottlecaps without the noise the Wizard will smash though like butter. Over all I love the wizard cause of the way it's made and not made of plastic. If you get a jam, there is a button on the handle and the sandwich reverses it's self and comes out.
Here is the site for Spellbinders... Go to the gallery and find all the uses it has...there are over a hundred uses. You can even roll polymer clay through it...no need for a pasta machine...lol
http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/...p?idAffiliate=

Here you will find the recipes and ideas for the wizard along with a video there.
HTH and good luck on your choice.
Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Default You need to be a Wizard to use one

I was sold on a Wizard from the company owner at an Expo because she said her daughter dragged it around the house without it breaking - she demo'd it and it looked good. The two times I've used mine, there have been expletives - a lot of them coming from my mouth. And tears and arms and shoulders aching and the paper slipping and the sandwich flying across the floor and the little lever on the handle having to be held in place when it was in the mood to work at all. I wrote them to ask if I could exchange it for nesties, and then my friend told me about this thread. I will have demos demo the specific machine I am purchasing going forward. Tools should be a pleasure to use, and easy, not dreaded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm sold

I recently jammed/broke my cuttlebug, because the embossing folder wasn't embossing all the folder, and added a very thin cardboard piece and the handle doesn't work now. So, I'm not easily sold on another plastic
unit. Just needed the final opinion to order the wizard and the jamming factor
you listed below is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arubberstamperView Post
I have the Wizard and the cuttlebug machines. My first die cutting machine is the Wizard. The reason my first choice was the Wizard during the time because it was universal and was the first die cutting machine that excepts all the dies our there on the market. Plus the durability the strength and pressure it gives when using my cuttlebug embossing folders. The cuttlebug was a gift.
If you like smashing bottlecaps without the noise the Wizard will smash though like butter. Over all I love the wizard cause of the way it's made and not made of plastic. If you get a jam, there is a button on the handle and the sandwich reverses it's self and comes out.
Here is the site for Spellbinders... Go to the gallery and find all the uses it has...there are over a hundred uses. You can even roll polymer clay through it...no need for a pasta machine...lol
http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/...p?idAffiliate=

Here you will find the recipes and ideas for the wizard along with a video there.
HTH and good luck on your choice.
Robin

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shipping is charged $6.95

I just placed an order and kicked myself, because I forgot to go through ebates for a small refund. The order from Ritz camera says free shipping for most photo items, they did include $6.95 shipping, but I can't drive or waste my time going to a store for that; plus their 20% sale on die cuts and embossing items

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestMomView Post
Depending on your outlook, not so bad buying online. Many times you can score a much better deal! I just purchased a Wizard from Ritz Camera online for $65. Not sure which model it is BUT for the price I figured it was worth it to save the $34. (If it turns out to be a recalled one then I'll call Spellbinders and see how to exchange it.) I put that savings toward more nesties! They also have NO sales tax (except in FL) and free shipping right now. Just thought I'd share with you. My Joann's, Michaels & Hobby Lobby do not carry the Wizard only 10 spellbinder's dies max. (none of which were nesties). :p

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I recently jammed/broke my cuttlebug, because the embossing folder wasn't embossing all the folder, and added a very thin cardboard piece and the handle doesn't work now. So, I'm not easily sold on another plastic
unit. Just needed the final opinion to order the wizard and the jamming factor
you listed below is it.
Well, believe it or not, I broke my Big Shot a few days ago by adjusting the sandwich with a piece of folded card stock because it wasn't cutting through my sizzlit die. I was able to exchange it for a new one (maybe I had a lemon) but I wasn't too happy about it breaking so easily. I was going to sell my Wizard, but I'm definitely keeping it now. I have literally put that through the wringer and it has always held up for me. I'll still use the BS but will save the problematic or heavy duty stuff for my Wizard.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by macroartistView Post
I was sold on a Wizard from the company owner at an Expo because she said her daughter dragged it around the house without it breaking - she demo'd it and it looked good. The two times I've used mine, there have been expletives - a lot of them coming from my mouth. And tears and arms and shoulders aching and the paper slipping and the sandwich flying across the floor and the little lever on the handle having to be held in place when it was in the mood to work at all. I wrote them to ask if I could exchange it for nesties, and then my friend told me about this thread. I will have demos demo the specific machine I am purchasing going forward. Tools should be a pleasure to use, and easy, not dreaded.
Gee, I wonder who it was that you spoke with at that expo? The owner of Spellbinders doesn't have a daughter!

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes