Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gross Rubber!

Okay, so I am unmounting my stamps. Just pulling them off the wood and applying ATIO&O. I am loving the ones I have already unmounted. However, some of my older stamps leave gross stuff on the back and the Aileene's stuff doesn't make it very sticky. Any solutions for getting the gross stuff off the back of my rubber?

TIA,

teresa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Maybe some UnDu would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin'hokieView Post
Okay, so I am unmounting my stamps. Just pulling them off the wood and applying ATIO&O. I am loving the ones I have already unmounted. However, some of my older stamps leave gross stuff on the back and the Aileene's stuff doesn't make it very sticky. Any solutions for getting the gross stuff off the back of my rubber?

TIA,

teresa
I had a heck of a time with that. I tried a number of things. I switched to EZMount, so after awhile, I simply gave up trying to remove it and put it directly on the EZMount. It isn't just older stamps. Some of my newer ones were like that as well. It's great when they just peel off, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this, it sucks, but thumb it off. My poor thumb was soooo sore, but it is so worth getting it all off before using the TIO&O or Spray Tacky.

Someone on another board used baby oil to rub it off and then washed the stamps before they put on the tacky. I have not tried it, but it might work?

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I tried goo gone to get the sticky stuff off of some stamps that I had. I sprayed the goo gone on let it sit for a couple of minutes then washed it in soapy water to get the residue off, some of the stamps took several times to get everything off, but it worked in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default unmounting stamps

I had some surgery in July and before/after I did I unmounted over 300 rubber stamps! Anything I could not get off by rubbing alcohol (my nurse told me that ..) I left it on there..as long as it was flat...and just put the Aleene's stuff right over it. lol. Bet noone thought of that one!

I inherited over 2000 stamps in 2006 when my bf died. I did share them with a bunch of friends. But I still came back with over 1000. I unmounted a bunch of them.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I tried goo gone to get the sticky stuff off of some stamps that I had. I sprayed the goo gone on let it sit for a couple of minutes then washed it in soapy water to get the residue off, some of the stamps took several times to get everything off, but it worked in the end.
I'd be careful with Goo Gone. I didn't use it because on the label, it said not to use it on latex. I think it breaks down the rubber. But, I could be wrong. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not clear on WHY would you unmount your stamps??? Is it to safe space and use them as acyrlic stamps? Thanks Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmallsreedView Post
I'm not clear on WHY would you unmount your stamps??? Is it to safe space and use them as acyrlic stamps? Thanks Cheryl
people are unmounting for a couple reasons. one is to save space, and use them with an acrylic block. others like the versatility of the acrylic block.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I certainly started doing it for space. I have 4 3" 3 ring binders and each one has 700-1000 stamps in it. After awhile I just became to use to using unmounted it was difficult to go back to wood. I don't unmount my SU stamps though because of resale value. But I only have about 7 SU sets left that I haven't already parted with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

I began unmounting at least 10 years ago ...maybe more. Once I tried the acrylic blocks there was no going back. If I borrow stamps from my sU demo I have an awful time stamping. Unlike Superman, I cannot see through the wood blocks. (and I'll bet you didn't even know that Superman is a stamper ;) )

As for how to get the weird gunk off from some stamps, I like the idea of rubbing alcohol. I'm going to try that next time I bring rubber stamps back from a garage sale.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

I will try the rubbing alcohol. Thanks. I started unmounting for space and because I love the acrylic block.

thanks for all help!

teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I also used one of those adhesive erasers on the back of mine and it worked great! Definately saved my fingers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

well what a novice I am!!! LOL...

unmounting a stamp OMG:o *checks pulse* phew yes still breathing

and 2000 stamps, holy moly.... WOW... COOL .... :p

love reading these posts thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin'hokieView Post

TIA,

teresa
I unmounted all of mine several years ago. There were hundreds, if not thousands. I used every method I've read here. Be careful with Goo Gone and solvents. Only leave it on for a short time. It will break down rubber if left on too long. You may not even see the effects right away, but I contacted the manufacturer of Goo Gone and they recommended against it. Acetone works well too, but as mentioned, only leave on a short time.

Anyhow, one thing I came up with that I don't think anybody has mentioned is to use duct tape. Rip off a piece about 5 or 6" long, wrap it around into a circle, sticking both ends together, and put your three fingers in the center (like a large ring). Use it to "blot" the goopy stuff off of the backs of the stamps. It will work much of the time, because duct tape is extremely sticky...stickier than the goopy stuff on the back of the rubber. Just keep blotting/wiping. What remains I ended up "thumbing" off, but as a previous post mentioned, your thumb gets mighty sore.

I'm so glad I unmounted, and now I have difficulty even purchasing mounted stamps. I don't mount the SU ones either, and peel the foam off too. And I don't use the TIOAO anymore. I did that at first, and when I ended up not liking it, I was right back to how to get that stuff off. What a mess. I prefer bare rubber. But many seem to like the TIOAO.

Hope the duct tape idea helps! Give it a try!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread. I don't know what ATIO+O is, though. HELP! That is my only problem with everyone's great notes......I don't know the translations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

I know this sounds strange, but try Avon Skin So Soft bath oil. It's what I use to get the crud off my mounting scissors (I've been using ONE of the SSS towelettes for several months, it still works fine, LOL!) I use it to remove stickers, price tags, old masking tape residue, anything sticky, nasty, and hard to remove. A drop or two, rubbed on whatever, usually works. Then a little soap and water to remove the oil. Bingo! Clean! Without much effort. I love the stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Aleene's Tack It Over and Over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Unmounting

Can you tell me WHY you would want to unmount the stamps? I have some that are actually coming off and was wondering how to get them back on. What is the benefit of taking them off?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

i started unmounting myne and wow what a space saver. but was wondering how to take off that stickiness on some. thanks for all the ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Default Crystal Effects

Can you tell me WHY you would want to unmount the stamps? I have some that are actually coming off and was wondering how to get them back on. What is the benefit of taking them off?

I use Crystal Effects to stick mine back together.

Most people need the space - Unmounted really take up little space in you stamp area.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was wondering why pple unmount them as well since im running out of room in the carrying case that im using to hold all my stamps. If you remove the wood what do you use to back them with??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Eucalyptus oil

Being an Aussie, I am partial to the scent of Eucalyptus oil. It is great for un-gunking scissors, cleaning up acrylic blocks. It even cleans up rubber stamp stains a fair bit.
When unmounting stamps I figure that what is the point of taking off all the adhesive when you need to adhere it to your blocks anyway. If it is too tacky I tend to make it less so by popping it off and on some fabric several times where the tackiness is reduced accordingly. With SU stamps I tend to leave the backing tape on and just expose a tiny bit of the adhesive in a couple of places (depending on the size of the stamp) just enough to make it stay in place on the block and storage case. Then as the tackiness wears off I expose a little more of the adhesive. Well that's what I do.
PS if you have a cold or sniffles, rub some oil on the soles of your feet and cover with soxs and on your chest before going to bed and you will most likely be much better the next morning. I will add the remnants of the oil that is still on my fingers under my nose to ease breathing. Make sure not to rub your eyes.:eek:
Reply With Quote Likes