Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michaels coupons - disappointing

I must have been sleeping when Michael's changed their coupon policy so you can't apply them to books. I found that out last weekend when I bought a little book on painting. I"m trying to be thrifty and it irked me that they no longer take coupons on books. The last time I was at M's they told me that they now accept only one coupon per day per customer. Geesh! JoAnn's still takes as many valid coupons as you have in one transaction. I love that!

I used to drive out of my way to go to M's but I won't any more. I will stick to the JoAnn's nearer to my house and Hobby Lobby.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

There must not be a huge mark up on books and magazines...I noticed that J's will put them on sale a lot for 10% off, probably so you can't use a coupon on them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw that too and thought it was strange . Must be some kind of agreement with their supplier. I can't get much for magazines at my M's. No selection anymore.
At my M's the only coupons left seem to be a 20% off the entire transaction that come with each receipt. Sales excluded of course. My budget requires more than 20% off to make it affordable so I will wait for sales now.

Isn't it interesting how we get so accustomed to a coupon and won't shop without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 05:02 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Default coupons

I just use my joanns or acmoore coupon if I need a book or magazine....I can't see paying 14.99 for 90% ads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I used to use coupons for magazines too. It was kind of a nice feature which probably helped the store because 1) it got me to go in with a coupon even when I did not intend to shop which also increased the chance I grabbed other stuff and 2) the magazines are basically advertising for their store anyway. I mean even the pages that are not intended to be ads, who has not looked at a card or scrapbook layout and decided they NEEDED that stamp, punch, or ribbon on the card?

However, I was in my M's the other day and someone was trying to get a book and they hassled her about it so I guess no more. They actually hassled me a bit when I tried to get my cuttlebug because it says "by the makers of cricut" on the box and the coupon says cricut products. I got away with it, but I would not be surprised if soon any form of cuttlebug product was not acceptable to use a coupon on too.

It is disapointing to me because I went for some time where I thought M's only carried junk, then I started liking some of their products.... now I am back to feeling I like them less. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsrlbView Post
I just use my joanns or acmoore coupon if I need a book or magazine....I can't see paying 14.99 for 90% ads.
Ditto... My thoughts Exactly. That is one reason I do not purchase a lot of the magazines.
Yes there are samples and all, however, I believe there could be less of the advertising. On the other hand I do realize that that is the way the avertisers get their products seen by the market supporters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

One of my girlfriends had the same problem on Sat. but they let her use her JoAnn's coupon on the magazine. She was still miffed and said she probably won't shop at M's anymore. I can't blame her. I barely shop there anymore either. There's just not much there. I do use my coupon to buy the photo frame boxes to keep my individual stamps in 'cause that's the only place I can find them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Everyone must be tightening up on their coupons...Our local Roberts Craft store usually had sale flyers sitting by the front door so you could always have the coupon when you shopped. Now they've stopped that and said that you need to bring your own coupon into the store in order to get the discount. Either from the Sun paper or the internet.....I guess I can understand, but it is still a bummer!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I just got a M coupon- can you use it for the Cricut?

It doesn't state anything on the coupon!!!!

Am I using wishful thinking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a little info on Michaels'. The original owner lived in my neighborhood and divorced not too long ago. He lost everything to the wife (he was sort of deserving) and the company was sold- all parts Aaron Bros.,Star whles., etc. The new company (big corporation) is making major changes and do not be surprised if M's is no longer with us in the future. That is the real "rumor" in Dallas. It may be combined with Aaron Bros. since they feel that is most profitable. I cannot understand why M's is not profitable except that he (Mr. Michael's) overbought weird stuFf ( jewlery and gift sample closeouts) under the Michael's name. Probably trying to hide his money...

Anyway, we (those of use that have friends working for them) have been warned that there are major changes coming and soon. They may be here right after Christmas. Just recently they have changed the return policy and you cannot get a full refund in Dallas for anything.

I can tell you I am not buying a gift card from them anytime soon! Don't you hate it when you buy one and then the company no longer exists? I have had that happen with all the scrap store closures in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
I must have been sleeping when Michael's changed their coupon policy so you can't apply them to books. I found that out last weekend when I bought a little book on painting. I"m trying to be thrifty and it irked me that they no longer take coupons on books. The last time I was at M's they told me that they now accept only one coupon per day per customer. Geesh! JoAnn's still takes as many valid coupons as you have in one transaction. I love that!

I used to drive out of my way to go to M's but I won't any more. I will stick to the JoAnn's nearer to my house and Hobby Lobby.
You would think that they would still want you to spend money there and accept more than one coupon at a time or let you get back in line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

thanks for the info...I've been wondering.

kathy

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
Just a little info on Michaels'. The original owner lived in my neighborhood and divorced not too long ago. He lost everything to the wife (he was sort of deserving) and the company was sold- all parts Aaron Bros.,Star whles., etc. The new company (big corporation) is making major changes and do not be surprised if M's is no longer with us in the future. That is the real "rumor" in Dallas. It may be combined with Aaron Bros. since they feel that is most profitable. I cannot understand why M's is not profitable except that he (Mr. Michael's) overbought weird stuFf ( jewlery and gift sample closeouts) under the Michael's name. Probably trying to hide his money...

Anyway, we (those of use that have friends working for them) have been warned that there are major changes coming and soon. They may be here right after Christmas. Just recently they have changed the return policy and you cannot get a full refund in Dallas for anything.

I can tell you I am not buying a gift card from them anytime soon! Don't you hate it when you buy one and then the company no longer exists? I have had that happen with all the scrap store closures in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Default Michael's Coupons

The reason why Michael's and many other companies don't have coupons available in store any longer are thanks to the many people who grab a whole bunch of ads with coupons and distribute them to their immediate family in order to receive more than 1 discount per item per day. Don't ever think you can beat the system because it will haunt you back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

why does it matter how many coupons you use per day. we are all trying to save money and enjoy our craft at the same time. there are plenty of items that you can't use a coupon for, michael's makes money either way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by camandtysmomView Post
why does it matter how many coupons you use per day. we are all trying to save money and enjoy our craft at the same time. there are plenty of items that you can't use a coupon for, michael's makes money either way
I worked at Michaels for 4 years. The manager would share the profit and loss for our store. We had lot's of people who would come in with several coupons and some back almost everyday of the week that a coupon was offered. With so much coupon use our sales profit was almost nothing. A business cannot stay in business if they are not making a profit.
I don't think people realize how much costs are really involved in running a business.
The theft at Michaels is extremely high. You would not believe the times we caught people with about $500.00 in merchandise. We were not allowed to catch the thevies on purpose but some were just dumb enough to get themselves caught. When this happens often and at several stores, there is a profit loss. The shopping carts were stolen all the time. They cost about $80.00 per cart. When you have 50 stolen about every 3 -4 months it costs alot. There is also the costs of damage repairs. Kids came in all the time and broke the toilets, the cabinets that hold the expensive items, break stuff just because they felt like it.
This store was not in a bad neighborhood. Just a few bad people making it a lot of work for us to clean up after them and expenses that most people don't even think about that a business has to spend.

Friends keep telling me to start my own business because of my talents. I tell them I cannot afford to. The costs of all the equipment, running the business, payroll, taxes, rent and all the misc. expenses. It all adds up fast.

I hope this gives everyone another perspective to look at.

Blessings, Diane Beckman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Diane, for sharing your perspective with us. I believe every word you said.

I have always said that everyone should work "retail" at least some time in their life. It does let you know what the stores have to deal with.

So many of the retail chain stores, crafting and otherwise, do not pay a living wage, and they give their people little or no training.

It sounds like you were a great employee, and I'll bet the store was sorry to lose you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I am in business for myself and I agree 100 percent Diane. There is so much that folks don't take into consideration. It costs me 1500 dollars a day just to open my doors. So I have to make that before I even make a penny.

Our Joanns will only take ONE coupon per person.
Also ds got me a Michaels coupon for Christmas and I never used it. Are you thinking they will go out of business?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I hate all of michaels restrictions on coupons. I have not shopped there for quite some time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not talking about grabbing handfuls of coupons. I use only the ones from the local paper or internet. I find that Michael's has put so many restrictions on the coupons they might as well discontinue them altogether. I realize that it is their business decision to issue them and what restrictions will apply. Other stores are not as restrictive and therefore I will do more shopping elsewhere in the future. That's my decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRDonQView Post
The reason why Michael's and many other companies don't have coupons available in store any longer are thanks to the many people who grab a whole bunch of ads with coupons and distribute them to their immediate family in order to receive more than 1 discount per item per day. Don't ever think you can beat the system because it will haunt you back.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes