Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Do you make all of your card bases?

Do you ever buy packages of cards with matching envelopes, or do you cut all of your own? Do you make each card as you need it, or do you have a cutting and folding session, so you always have standard sizes ready to go? Do you have a list of what standard size card measurements are, so you don't have to think about what size to cut the paper? Please share what you do. TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just make them as I need them. but I also produce in small quantities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

If I'm making a huge bunch of cards, for holidays, invitations, etc, I will cut all the bases first then all the mats, etc. After a while, the measurements will be engrained in your brain! I always cut my own card bases, and I buy envelopes in bulk from a local paper store. They also sell by the pound, so I can get small quanitites of colors if I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I make my own bases. My father actually gave me a pack of those prescored ones that you run through the computer and they were so flimsy they tore when I tried to mount stuff.

when I do Christmas cards i will do them in stages..one day cut, one day stamp, one day assemble, etc.

I will make cards ahead of time but not huge quantities. Although I will do extras for Cards for Heroes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I've purchased a couple of packs of prefolded cards with envelopes from DCWV and I wasn't at all happy with the weight of the cards; they just felt awfully lightweight. So now I make my own bases - usually as I need 'em.

My purchases didn't go to waste - I just cut the cards down the fold and used them as regular cardstock; the envelopes I was happy with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Make my own - have never purchased a card and added to it. I always stamp on the front of my envie and have also CB'd the flap on some. If I'm doing a lot of one kind, I cut everything first and then assemble. I just finished 300 Memorial Thank You's - 50 were for a family that lost their 17 year old daughter and 250 were for a local firefighters wife that lost her husband. Both were done with pic's on the front and then thank you on the inside. (Firefighters also had the firefighters prayer on the left - inside) Having everything cut first really helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

For the most part - I like to make a card special for that person. I do make some general birthday and all occasion cards a head of time - so that I have stash for those unexpected occasions - I forgot about. Or when I am short on time.
I use 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" for my standard card size. I do like other sizes but that is my standard size card.
I have some cardstock cut into card size (not folded) as they are the other half of the cards I have made. So I have a small plastic tub - shoe box size - of them. I always forget to look in there to see if the color I am going to use for my card base is in there already cut. I have to get better at that.

I don't like to purchase the card bases - I prefer to cut my own.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I make all of my card bases. But I buy my envelopes already-made. If the envelope is not for the typical 4.25 x 5.5 " card, I'll take the envelope and use that as a guide when I'm cutting the card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Depending on if I need multiables of the same card......or weather I"m just doing one card for someone special.

Christmas card making is assembly line style with me....so I'll do alot of cutting and setting up before putting the final card together......

I do try to do cards ahead of time.......and not on a needed basis but sometimes Time is not good to me and I get behind and make a card at the last minute.....LOLOL

Either way I do so much enjoy creating cards......

Lori
Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I make 98% of mine too, but I do hunt around for those clearanced cards with envelopes to work with too.
I did find a really nice 10pk. of glittery cards with envelopes once. They were awesome..sturdy too. I found them at Walmart in a clearance aisle for .81 cents! I was thrilled!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I make all of my own, generally as I need them.
I have nothing written down as far as standard measurements. You'll get 'there' too. ;)
I rarely make cards in any quantity over 1 or 2 ... but only for very special times.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make my own -- whether it's a bunch at once or making them as I need them depends on whether I'm making mass quantities or not. When I cut a fresh sheet of 8.5x11 it's typically into two 5.5x8.5 pieces, and then I cut one of those in half as well so I have a quarter-sheet later to use for a card front layer. I absolutely HATE those precut ones at M's, because the envelope sizes don't match the card dimensions! Bought those once to save time when I was going to make a ton of cards for a craft fair, and took them right back!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

It depends on what they are, who they're for, and why I'm making them. (ie Personal or sale) things like that.

I buy really nice white bases with envies that I use for a lot, that are thick and sturdy.

If I cut my own bases, I usually use a 12x12 DP and make my own envie for them to match the card.

I bought the "creat-a-lope" thing, but I didn't like it, so I just started using a heat gun and opening a few envies of different sizes and using them as templates. Much easier for me, at least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Do you ever buy packages of cards with matching envelopes, or do you cut all of your own? I have in the past but sometimes I feel like it sticks me into certain colors. Lately I have been cutting more of my own, this also gives more control on the size.

Do you make each card as you need it, or do you have a cutting and folding session, so you always have standard sizes ready to go? Mostly make as I need. I'm also a scrapbooker, so I use my supplies for everything. When I do need to make a card for something I will try to make 2 just so I have an extra. Or sometimes if I get a new stamp I will just make a few cards from that stamp.

Do you have a list of what standard size card measurements are, so you don't have to think about what size to cut the paper? After making lots of invitations for different events I pretty much know the measurements, but if I need to I just check to be sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..I produce thousands of cards and what I do is purchase the GP 110lb cardstock usually 3-5 reams at a time, then go to Office Max or Office Depot and have it cut. It is only $.75 or $1.00 per ream to have it cut then I use my scorepal to fold them. It is much faster to do it this way and I can fold them inbetween calls at work. I always have at least a 1000 bases ready to use. Hope this helps.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ok..I produce thousands of cards and what I do is purchase the GP 110lb cardstock usually 3-5 reams at a time, then go to Office Max or Office Depot and have it cut. It is only $.75 or $1.00 per ream to have it cut then I use my scorepal to fold them. It is much faster to do it this way and I can fold them inbetween calls at work. I always have at least a 1000 bases ready to use. Hope this helps.
Blessings.
What a great timesaver, not to mention blade saver!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I never cut ahead of time because i feel i create better if i'm not married to a pre-determined card size.. so i'll cut my 8.5x11 cardstock into lots of different measurements, and you'll have them memorized after a while, but what i've gotten in the habit of doing is making a 5x5 card, and using the remaining piece to make a smaller card (3.5x5.5 folded) like this one. That way i don't have long strips for scraps, and sometimes i'll pop off that quick little card right after i finished my 5x5.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Blessings.
I've tried doing this with regular copy paper for work - but apparently the folks at my Office Max copy center don't know how to work their paper cutter. The paper is never cut accurately in half, and frequently is cut at an angle instead of straight. It's ok for what we use it for at work, but I don't trust them with MY stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm definitely in the minority! i always use a premade card, but i'm working on branching out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

All depends with me too. For fast makem' and mailem', I buy premade cards with envelopes. Time on my hands which is usually the case...I make my own. GA Pac paper is awesome and such a savings too. Some will swear by whisper white su though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I make all my own cards. And I cut them myself as well. I ususally just make them as I go or if I know I am making a bunch the same (like for bdays or Christmas cards) then I will pre-cut them ahead of time before making the actual cards. I do buy envies when I can find them. I like to have them on hand so I don't run out. Once you start making cards you will just automatically be able to cut the standard size. I just take a 8.5x11 piece of cardstock and cut it in half (long ways) and then you have 2 cards right there!
hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I make my own card bases. Its easy to have them on hand, I don't always make 2 of the same card so when I cut a sheet of cardstock in half I save the other half to use as a card base later. I save quarter pieces to use as mats for my stamped image it works out well.

Check out my blog! www.sunfaeriecreations.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I buy the GP paper at walmart and take it to kinkos to have them cut it. It costs me less than $3.00 to have it cut, and it sure saves on time. not to mention for some stupid reason I can never get a sheet for a card cut exactly in half myself. But I don't fold them until I am going to use them. sometime I should sit and fold them all

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I make them as I go with the colors that tickle my fancy at that time... ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Default Buy pre-made for Community Ed

I usually make my own bases and buy envelopes in boxes of 250 in A2, A6 and A7.

However, I'm offering an free cuttlebug-based class for community ed in a week and for that I bought the bases/envelopes from JoAnn's. They're A2 size sets and it sure is a lot cheaper (time and money) to go with the pre-made option than to do it all from scratch.
Cheers!!!
SharonK- Crystal, MN

Last edited by skkirts; 10-01-2008 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I'm very spoilt by the sounds of it. I have a friend in the printing industry & he has given me several boxes of bias cut card (Hallmark quality) in different sizes already scored. So all I have to do is reach into the right box (all labeled of course ) & grab the card I want & go for it. I also get my envelopes from Big W (a shop sort of like your K-Mart), they have boxes of 100, in both sizes that fit all my card sizes in, for just under $5 (Aus).

I can then cut all my nice coloured CS to fit the front & also don't have to worry about what coloured pen I need to write in the middle of the card either, as it is white. This makes my coloured CS go twice as far too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of the time I cut as I go, but I also buy premade card bases with envelopes. The ones I buy have something special like a frame, scallops, embossed, or odd sizes. I also buy some just because I liked the color. Mostly, I use premade envelopes. when making production I buy pre-cut and scored cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started out buying premade, but now I made my own (love that Scor-Pal!). I have a Stampin' Up! Forget-Me-Not-Keeper, and I keep card bases and quarter sheets in that (organized by color within color families), so when the muse is upon me, I can just grab and go. I find that there are times when I don't have the muse, but I want to be playing with my stuff, and I cut and score bases then. (Also when watching TV is a good time.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I make my own as I need them. More flexibility that way and I'm not limited to colors. I can also use the same colors for layering, etc. I tend to stick to two sizes:

4.25 X 5.5
3 X 3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I make all my own card bases, buy my envelopes in bulk. Most cards I make as needed, although I also make more for thinking of you and thank you cards, so I have them on hand when needed, especially when we are traveling I can stick a bunch of them in a folder and take them with me. And of course, Christmas cards are assembly line, card bases and layers one day, stamp one day, put together one day.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

I used to mass produce card bases in a range of colors. The thing I noticed, though, is that I kept going back to the same colors, so then ones would sit and sit and sit, and never get used, while I was constantly making certain colors. If you know what you use a lot, I think it's worth the time to make a batch up so that you can make a quick card if needed. I always like to have a supply of white ones ready.

As for bases, personally, I fell NOTHING beats the PaperTrey Ink white CS. It's nice and solid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Half and half for me, I'd say. I buy good white ones with a smooth finish that are great for stamping direct on, and cream and white linen finish. But I buy from one particular source, I've seen some that are very flimsy and wouldn't stand up to much. But when I want a coloured base, I start from scratch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I always make my own, too. The premade are just not sturdy enough for my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Do you ever buy packages of cards with matching envelopes, or do you cut all of your own?

I usually make my own. I bought some once but they were too thin and flimsy for the cards that I make. I like painting, inking, stamping and layering. So I usually buy pads of Bristol board to use for making card bases.

Do you make each card as you need it, or do you have a cutting and folding session, so you always have standard sizes ready to go?

I could go either way.

Do you have a list of what standard size card measurements are, so you don't have to think about what size to cut the paper?

In the beginning I took the time to do the math on figuring out the most efficient ways of dividing up a pad of Bristol board to get the most cards out of it without wasting any paper. This has enabled me to cut quickly, without thinking too hard about it. I am a big fan of "quick and easy", so that works for me. It does mean that I have a few standard sizes that I work with. But I do occasionally use cardstock or other paper as well, so that I don't get stuck in a rut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make 99% of all my bases. I do not care for very many of the pre-made cards as their weight is not enough to carry many layers or ribbons.

I use GP white, TAC and some SU. I like a good strong base!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

I cut my own cards, however, I do buy the precut cards. I cut them in half at the score and put the halves in the envelopes with my cards that have brads, eyelets or bows on them. This helps the post office and keeps the card from being damaged. Plus, I have the envies to use when I need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always make my own, I never buy bases. I want the base to "match" what I'm doing, I think it looks more pulled together.
And no offense to anyone who does it but I *hate* white bases on everything, some cards call for it but I think it looks cheap to cover over a white base with cardstock (just my pet peeve)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Walmart has precut/scored cards and envelopes 50 for $5.98. The envelopes are very nice, blank cards don't come close to SU quality though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you ever buy packages of cards with matching envelopes, or do you cut all of your own? I cut most of my own

Do you make each card as you need it, or do you have a cutting and folding session, so you always have standard sizes ready to go? As I go

Do you have a list of what standard size card measurements are, so you don't have to think about what size to cut the paper? I usually just make 4.25X5.5inches
Reply With Quote Likes