Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:11 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your help!!!

I am in the process of planning to build a new stamping area. I want to benefit from your mistakes. What I need from you is any ideas for things you wish you had done and did not or ideas that you think you could not live without and are thrilled with the out come. Don't be bashful in sending your ideas. The cabinet maker is coming the end of this week, so I need to have some sort of idea where to start.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I passed on under cabinet lighting and STILL regret it. Make sure you have plenty of light.

Couple of other thoughts:
- I love that I got my cabinets and shelves deep enough to store standard sterilite storage boxes. I can line them up and still close the doors
- I had drawers built in to hold 8 1/2 x 11 hanging folders; wish I had done one for 12 x 12 too
- I use a big 4 inch deep drawer to store single stamps. I wish I had gotten them to build a tray so that I could have two layers
- Wish i'd gotten some spindles built in to hold ribbon
- I waste a ton of space in some cabinets where I have my SU sets stored, I wish I'd been able to think of a way to make it narrower...

Best advice is to think about what you want to store where and measure, measure, measure.
That's all I can think of right now. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so envious of you! I hope your stamping area turns out great! If I were to start from scratch, I would do away with all those Iris carts I have. They don't look very good, and I just stuff the drawers with everything and anything so there is no real organization. I'd rather go with cabinets (where I can close the doors and have the room look neat) that have narrow shelves - I'd sort craft items in plastic bins and put them in the cabinets. I'd get one of those storage units just for paper. Two tables would be in the room - one for a regular work and one for cutting/embossing etc. I'd love to set aside one area for photo taking - where the light is good.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Floor to ceiling cabinets!
Paper Rack!
Ribbon spindles!
Display area for cards and such!
Picture taking area!
Lighting(very important)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I find that the one thing i can't imagine how i lived without at one time is my pegboard. I really want a larger one now to put on another wall. I too am sort of rebuilding my craft room since my DH finally gave up his foothold on one corner of it where his computer was. He moved downstairs to the den! Now i have the WHOLE room to work with!!

Anyway, back to the pegboard...there are so many creative ways to use the attachments from holding ribbon spindles to scissors to shelves. I have my main work area right in front of the pegboard and it helps me stay organized and picked up (well, most of the time anyway!)

Good luck!! Show us the after pictures!

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

bump

Quote:

Originally Posted by love-n-lifeView Post
I am in the process of planning to build a new stamping area. I want to benefit from your mistakes. What I need from you is any ideas for things you wish you had done and did not or ideas that you think you could not live without and are thrilled with the out come. Don't be bashful in sending your ideas. The cabinet maker is coming the end of this week, so I need to have some sort of idea where to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

A solid-wood table, or at least one with a hard top surface, is a must-have. I'm using a 6-foot folding table now, and I find that it "gives" a little too much when I'm using larger stamps and I don't get a good impression.

Also, if you can, keep the tools you use most like adhesive, scissors, craft knife, close to your work surface. I really like having these things at my disposal and hate to have to go searching for them when I'm in the process of putting a card together.

As for storage, I like open storage. If I have my supplies stashed in drawers, I often forget about them. The stuff I can see gets used with much more frequency.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

For those of you that keep your sets in the clam shells, think pantry pull out shelves.

The type that are floor up to about 6', you pull it out from thr wall and have access to both sides to have cases sitting like DVD on the shelves.

Remember to have the counter height adjusted to you for ease in stamping and using die machines. I have to levels. One for standing and one for chair use.

I am a cabinet person more than shelves, I like everything covered or behind doors for fading and dust protection.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I have 4 walls of cabinetry in my room, 2 are counter height and 2 are desk height. Love it. Things I love:
1. I put in a bar sink--great for cleaning up ink and paint. Kind of wish I'd made it a full-size sink.
2. Those great pot-size drawers are wonderful for SU stamps--and I store my ink in another.
3. Love cabinets at counter height so I can stand to scrap.
4. Put holes in the counter top for the computer wires and finished them with those plastic filler things. No wires everywhere.
5. I put in TONS of outlets. Need one for 2 printers, the Cricut, the heat embossing tool, the TV...

Wish I had:
1. Done more wide drawers and less regular cabinets.
2. Had put the rollout shelves in the regular cabinets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Workspaces at two heights is a really good idea. I actually have counters at desk height and then slightly raised on either end, and also have a freestanding "island" at coutertop height. It's nice to be able to stand and work sometimes.

Drawers and shelves behind doors are really nice for hiding the clutter. If you can't afford the pull-out shelves - only use them in really deep cabinets. I don't have them and I use plastic baskets that slide easily instead.

Also I like having a few open shelves to display things or to store things in pretty woven (not plastic) baskets. This is especially useful if you will be accessing something often. Also carefully consider eliminating wasted corner space - use a turntable style cabinet or those pullout type mechanisms if you have much space there. Mine in not easily accessible so I can only store long-term stuff there.

Also, the only real mistake I made was using halogen track lighting in my space - it really puts out a lot of heat. I wanted to stay away from flourescent lighting because it would distort colors, but I didn't investigate this enough to see what the other options were.

Also, make the cabinets standard size if possible with adjustable shelves. My area is in the "attic" over the garage, so I had some weird wall heights to work with - and the cabinets on each side are not exactly the same sizes, so I can't interchange shelves as much as I would like. So keep things standard size and then use an open shelf type area at the end of the space if you need to make it come over to a certain point. I didn't do this is my craft area, but it was a tip from my kitchen cabinet guy.

Also, as you are doing this, think about how you are going to keep it CLEAN afterwards.

I hope that helps.
In quaint, quiet, quirky little Darmstadt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

room to grow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I love all the ideas! I am subscribing to this thread on the off chance that someday I get an awesome stamping room...

My Gallery...

Dear Lord, Please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
(One of my favorite sentiments from River City Rubber Works!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
room to grow!
Ditto! Also, I went with open shelving, and then organized smaller things into decorative DVD boxes. This way, I'm not having to open a door to get anything- I just reach up and grab it. I'm glad I did this. Also, as strange as it sounds, I used a smaller desktop (maybe 2x5 feet), and it really helps me keep things clean and organized. I'm sort of forced to put things away as I'm finished using them, instead of letting the mess get out of control. When I had a larger desk top in my previous space, the mess would get so big and ugly, I'd avoid stamping, because I knew I'd have an hour of cleaning before I could even start.

Have a great time designing your space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Towel Bar

This is in my friend's craft room, not my own. A must have!

* A towel bar attached to the wall holds all her large punches.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I'm getting ready to remodel my craft room, so am subscribing to hear all your great ideas. One thing I know I'm going to have is good lighting!

Barb M.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Default help

I wasn't able to open your picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
This is in my friend's craft room, not my own. A must have!

* A towel bar attached to the wall holds all her large punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

bump

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I wish I had a SINK!!! in my craft room!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Storage that doubles as extra seating for when friends come over.

I made a workspace out of bookcases and a glass table top in my new craft space. You can see some pictures on my blog and also in my gallery. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I just "furnished" a new stampin' space. Skimmed through the other posts, and some of these things have already been mentioned. Here's what I'm super happy about:

* Lower cabinets on two walls, with lazy susan in the base corner cabinet.
* Upper cabinets along one wall; will add shelving along second wall.
* Big over-sized bulletin board used to display card/scrapbook page samples. My customers love this!
* Upper cabinets have awning-style doors (hinge at top; open from bottom) which is THE BEST THING. When I'm working, the doors are open and out of the way; when I'm finished, I just close the doors and things look neat!
* Extra electrical outlets because it's easier/less expensive to put them in during construction than after the fact.
* Under-cabinet lighting under all top cabinets.
* Lower cabinets are counter height, with laminate countertops over them.
*One lower cabinet (all drawers) is 36" wide and has three drawers...one is devoted solely to stamp sets standing on their sides so I can see the names on the boxes. Just had to make sure the drawer was tall enough to accommodate the boxes.
*All regular lower cabinets have pull-out shelves (and I added an extra shelf in each cabinet because you can't really stack things very high when the shelf is going to be rolling in and out).
* Along one wall, the base cabinets have a 48" wide space with no cabinets so I can put a chair and rolling file cabinets there.
* Used IKEA towel rods to hold punches
* Third wall has a piece of countertop mounted at desk height.
* In middle of this U-shaped space, I put a wood table that can accommodate two people working at it (nice hard surface for stamping).
* On 4th wall I have a 6' folding table that holds computer, printer and sewing machine. There are elfa shelves above it.

I moved in about 2 months ago, and I haven't yet come up with anything I'd do differently!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaudhuitView Post
Also, if you can, keep the tools you use most like adhesive, scissors, craft knife, close to your work surface. I really like having these things at my disposal and hate to have to go searching for them when I'm in the process of putting a card together.
I completely agree! I don't have a set place for my "everyday stuff," and I really wish I did!

Other than that, I would suggest grouping things with how you use them, i. e., instead of grouping "tools" such as a heat gun, crop-a-dile, and paper piercing mat together, put your heat gun with your embossing powder, your crop-a-dile with brads & eyelets, and your piercing mat with thread and other sewing tools. It is so much easier if you can grab a "kit" of items when you are working on a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I wasn't able to open your picture.
I don't think this was a link -- just a highlight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

bump

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

When I bought a house, I no longer needed my Ikea dresser for clothes, so now I keep my stamp sets in there. They are in different drawers according to size of their case. I did not like the way they were stacked before...my clamshells were always kinda dusty and they always toppled over when I wanted the bottom set.
Also, I sprang for the smart lamp at Pottery barn. A power strip works just as well, but the take away is that I can plug my heat gun in right next to me when I need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Have and Love them:

desk height and counter height work spaces
sturdy work surfaces
open adjustable shelving (you will change your workspace depending how muchmore you acquire or how you change your favorite items)
under cabinet lighting
easy to reach power strips
good paper storage (8 1/2 x 11 and 12 x12)
Ikea rails for punch storage
sufficient stamp storage
ceiling fan
good overhead light for entire room
comfortable seating

Wish I had:
better task lights with low heat emission
Iris cart replacements (they work great but I'd like something classier)

Overall I'm happy with my stamp room but I still need to get a permanent counter (mine sets on the iris carts) and work on better task lights. I can't stress how important it to allow room for growth and the ability to reorganize as your needs change. I would also suggest you decide if you prefer functionality versus pretty. It is great when you can get both, but sometimes pretty things may not be truly functional. Like having cabinets, love the look, but they don't allow the flexibility I want; also they take up a lot of space and I don't want to waste one inch of space that could store more goodies.

Good luck on your room. Be sure to share pics when you are finished
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Good lighting is the most important thing. I got can lights and they're not enough. I don't know what the solution is, but I know that Ott lights give good light. Ideally, I'd want Ott lights that hang from my ceiling to about 1.5 to 2 feet over my desk. I just Googled lighting and found this website, www.nitaleland.com, which discusses how to set up an art studio. She recommends full-spectrum florescent lighting, such as an Ott light.

I love my literature sorter from Office Max. I have two stacked on top of each other.

My stamp room (there are two other pix of it in my gallery)

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

bump

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

bump

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

bump

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

A few years back, we added on to out home and I got a big craft room. I planned this thing for over a year, down to the last drawer, outlet, lighting etc. There is not much I would change for it suits me well. However there are a few hints I would give to you to plan before you start building.

-Good lighting. This is absoultely essential! You don't want to have bad lighting after all the money, time and effort you put in.

-A good work triange. Just like a kitchen, I planned to have all my essential within reach of me or the turn of my chair. You can't have everything placed this way but make sure that things you use all the time have very easy access.

-Plan your cabinetry to fit what you have and then some. I can never have too much room so my storage has room to grow. I love to clean out stuff so about once a year, I go through and get rid of things that are out of style, don't use, are duplicates etc. That way when I get something new, it will have a place and will be easy to get to.

-Lots of outlets! I put in many extra outlets so I can easily use things at different places. Also think of an outlet in the floor if you are setting up a table(s) and using them as a work space. That way you can use your heat gun, Cricut or any electrical toy on your table as well as well as your counters.

WARNING!: Pot drawers are not big enough to use with file racks and 12 x 12 paper! This is the one thing I did not realize when I planned my room. They are long enough but not deep enough. I used all Kraftmaid cabinetry in my room but I think that pot drawers may be a standard size so the same with all manufacturers. I would up putting my 12 x 12 papers in my closet which is just fine for me but may not be for you

-Have a nice closet area if possible. All the extras can then be stored away in a closet. I keep everything from my sewing stuff, to boxes for wrapping and shipping and tons of other stuff in there. My closet is a lifesaver.

-Have different size and style cabinets. I have a craft cabinet which holds smaller flat things like loose stamps, all my punches, EP's, tags, etc. I love them! I also have a floor to ceiling pantry cabinet with pullout shelves for all my sets, ribbons, and other stuff. Love being able to pull out the shelves to get to things.

-Floor surface. I put in a very high grade, wide planked laminate that I love. If something spills easy to clean. I even got Stazon out of it (very quickly but I got it out!)

-Lazy Susan's in the corners. They hold so much. I upgraded, at the advice of the man I worked with at Loew's, to the wood lazy susan and boy am I glad I did. The plastic ones are not as sturdy.

-I also put in big drawers for all my rolls of wrapping papers, tissues, wrapping ribbongs etc. It is so fun and easy to wrap up something now and not dig for everything. Try to think of everything you will use the room for besides stamping/scrapping and plan for it.

-have a sink nearby. My room has double doors into a new laundry room and I put a double stainless sink in it. I love having the double sink for many reasons and it is only a few steps away.

-Make sure you know which way the light shines into the room through windows. I know this sounds silly, but if you leave things out, especially paper or stamps, you don't want the light to fade them or beat down on your stamps. I know curtains/blinds help but I don't always remember to close them and you don't want to ruin your precious supplies or wreck a project.

-Counters. Mine are higher and can stand at them without fatigue. That said, I usually work at my tables but do certain things at the counter. I also hate having them crowded so try to think of how you work and what makes you feel good.

-Finally (I know you are saying "Thank goodness this woman is almost done!) make sure that things are easy to access, put away etc. This makes my time so much more enjoyable. I don't want to spend my time looking for something or going through baskets, boxes or whatever looking for something. I have everything last thing in it's spot that is easy to reach for or get to. It is labeled well too. I love to play but hate to clean and HATE trying to find something I know is somewhere but can't find it. That drives me nuts!

Ok I have gone on way too much so will stop. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and plan this thing. It was fun and if you think of your own needs and wants, it will turn out wonderfully! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

My husband is a wood worker and has custom made everything for me. The first cabinet he made has 46 drawers - 30 of them are just deep enough to hold a single layer of stamps. The others were sized according to the things I wanted to store. The second item is my wonderful work table. We put tempered glass on the entire top. He put a pull out shelf just like the old desks had - and maybe the new ones still have - which I cannot live without because it extends my work surface. One drawer is a file cabinet, one holds all the things I use all the time so they aren't cluttering up my work surface. Another one holds all of my Zyron supplies and all of my large Sizzix dies. Still another one holds all of my envelopes. These three drawers are quite large and deep. The bottom drawer extends the entire width and I put heavier items in this one - but it is quite shallow. He's also made a paper cabinet so I can store my paper flat and out of the sun. Then there is the hutch that holds my magazines and stamp index folders along with my EZ mount stamps - this is the top. It also has a pull out shelf. One drawer holds all of my reinkers which he made a thingie so the bottles don't fall down. Another one holds 12 x 12 papers and then there are two other drawers. On to my ribbon rack. My husband also built himself a work table and because we live in a small place and were taking care of his dad at the time, he built a compartment into the back of his to store his 40 x 40" model train layout. Papa has since gone home to be with the Lord and the room is free, so his train is now in his old bedroom. Which freed up this large space. So he made me a ribbon rack to hold all of my spools of ribbon. We didn't plan this one too well, but it works. They are on dowels that I have to take out. He made a stand that fits on top of the rack so I can rest the dowel in it and select my ribbon. He also made a waste basket cabinet to cover the ugly tall basket and this holds the basket (duh) and he built a set of shelves next to it. This also gives me a bit more flat surface. There are a couple of more items he's made but I think this gives you some ideas. Just in case you think that I have a huge room to work in - it is 8 x about 10 (with spillage into my husband's work area and our little breakfast area). We enclosed the patio to make another room when we moved here 7 years ago and the entire patio is almost completely surrounded by windows which is great for lighting but not for hanging wall storage. The patio sits by our living room which means everything needs to look neat when we have company because the entire wall is glass. Oh, I almost forgot one of my absolute favorites - a carousel to hold my SU ink pads. It twirls around and sits right on my desk. I'm so proud of my husband and what he's been able to accomplish to make my craft so pleasant and fun. Hope you take pictures of yours when you are done! And then post a note here so we can all go and look. Have fun, fun, fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I used Home Depot cheapy kitchen base cabinets to support my work counter. I put in a "lazy susan" cabinet in the corner and it turned out to be usless!

If you click on my blog I have a slide show of my craft room and you can see what I mean. Other than that I LOVE my workspace and find it very fuctionable. One other thing, I scrap by themes hence all the baskets in my closet labeled with themes :p

Just Stampin' Away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

I am lucky enough to have 3 pattern cabinets from a store that went out of business. If you are ever able to get your hands on these, you will love how much they can store. (Keep your eyes open for store closings!) The 2 Simplicity cabinets I have each have drawers 5 rows across and fit 5 stamp sets across in each row them, or about a hundred stamp sets per drawer...and the cd cases for unmounteds do fit perfectly too. My Butterick cabinet contains my various sets of tools and supplies like embossing, ribbons galore etc. The tops are bit higher too high for working at, but I keep my vases and containers of markers, half- and quarter- sheets, scissors, re-inkers away from little ones.

I also have lateral file cabinets for paper and things that I can file in the hanging file pockets. My dies and texture templates are all in one drawer too. One thing nice about this type of cabinets is that the drawers glide in and out and you don't have to jerk your back out of whack opening and shutting them. I don't have the best dressed stamp room for sure, but I consider function over form to work better for me.

I have tons of 12x12 paper and have found my open wire racks a deterent to opening my drapes to letting the sun shine in...sunlight and paper is a bad combo...have been wishing for a sun proof way to protect my paper stash besides living in the dark...so keep paper storage in mind when you are planning.

This year I converted my fluorescent light bulbs to "daylight" fluorecent-style bulbs...more pricey, but so nice and bright to work in...when my husband saw the diffenence, he converted his computer area to "daylight' right away.

Have fun setting up you new room!

Please stop by my blog and say "Hi!"
http://cheryl-outonawhim.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Cool Making Do & Making it Work

I'm redoing my stamp room with some inspiration from my friend. No built in cabinets for me. My DH did kitchen cabinets once for us when we lived in England. He is no Toolman Tom so that's fine. Here's what's working with #2 & #5 being my favorites (see picture):
  1. I took off the closet doors & put a 4' x 8' high Winter White metal shelving. I have several 12" x 12" 3 drawer stacks. That's gr8 for all those patterns, ideas, chipboard & designer paper.
  2. I bought 2 paper towers that my upline's dad built (he can't anymore). Those are da bomb! 1 for 12" & 1 for regular cardstock.
  3. I also have an 8' wide x 6' white bookshelf that has several 3 stack drawers in it. Gr8 for scissors, SNAIL refills, buttons, clear envelopes, etc.
  4. On the top of my 6' table, I have a 24 drawer thingy that I got a Target. Each drawer can hold 3 ink pads, but I only put my doubles in there. But I have a few drawers for sponge daubers, refills, brads & buttons etc.
  5. But the best thing (other than the paper towers) is something that I got a few years back at Home Depot. My stamp closet can EASILY hold 200 stamp sets. I have 5 shelves for different types: Flowers/Nature; Words; Holidays; Misc.; Backgrounds & Borders. I've attached a picture of part of it. It only shows half of one shelf. It's about 24" wide.
I'm just glad we got new carpet a few years ago. I was also able to pull in a fold out quilt table that I used b4 I started stamping. I'll be able to pull open just one side of it & have a 44" x 36" surface for friends to stamp at or to film more video tuts. Oh yeah. Gotta do that this week!

I'd love to have something nice, but I'm happy I have a room!
Attached Thumbnails
I need your help!!!-36mo-stampguard.jpg  
Kick it up a notch @ www.masterstamper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I love all the great ideas. I second the triangle idea. Everything you use daily should be within reach when sitting. Weekly the next closest and occasional use farther away. A chair that swivels is a must have. Several people have mentioned that they have standing and sitting height work areas. I have sitting height that is a little higher than The one thing I love in my area is that I have a work space that is about 29" high for all the design & glueing. The area behind that as I swivel around is only 24" high where I have my Dahle paper cutter in an opening with light over it, and I never move that. My 12" paper is stored all around the printer area in open shelving. Since the printer is lower, it gives me leverage and a clear view when I am cutting paper, and all my paper is within reach of my work area. I wish I had room for my computer in one of the corners. I use three different machine that hook up to the computer. My brother Labeler, the Silhouette and the Cricut and unfortunately they are in the next room with my Sizzix. My ideal space would be two triangles. One for cutting and one for the rest. I just make cards and scrapbook, so I don't have to store a lot of other crafting materials. Hope you are happy with your set-up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't skimp on space. I thought the desk I would use for my crafting would be just right but realized afterward I grossly misjudged how much space I would really like/need.

Don't forget leg room. I have a desk I just loved but also realized that not only was it not big enough (remedied by expanding the top though) but that the way I was using it I had no leg room. WHen you are sitting there for a while you want to be comfortable!

If you are tall think about doing a high table/desk like draftsperson/architects use. I am tall and always thought I would want to do that but again unfortunately I fell in love with a desk that was regular height. I wish I had gone with the original concept I had.

Don't compromise what you want for something you find. Just because it is $25 at a yard sale and beautiful does not mean that it is perfect for you for this room.

Oh and there are some fabulous rooms out there so look at them all for ideas but if you really hate visual clutter make sure you have something like cupboards or a curtain to draw across all the shelving. I love to have everything on my shelves to see when I am crafting but I hate to look at it when I am done and others are not so fond of the visual clutter. I installed a tension rod (think shower curtain rod) that fits in perfectly between the cabinet and wall and hung a shower curtain there (cloth one and very nice, pink and brown stripe to match my stamp area). It is perfect because I can leave a huge mess and just draw the curtain across when company comes. So keep visual clutter in mind. Most of those decorating shows always balk at craft rooms and clutter and it is usualy impossible to keep it neat all the time so it is nice to have something to cover stuff up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I love my IKEA Bygel rails. Having the punches on the wall means I reach for them more often.

I love my IKEA Traktor chair. It's backless, conforms to your rear, and is on casters. It's so easy to move around in.

I hate facing the wall. I have a U shaped work space. Two of those surfaces are on the wall. I am not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Right now I just have a corner of my basement for crafts. My dream would be to finish it off and add some of the things that you have all mentioned already. I have a Cuttlebug and a Cricut and no room right now to leave them out so I'm constantly moving things around when I need them and then having to put them away. I guess what I'd like the most is a ton of drawers and counter space. The island idea sounds great, too. I think that's where I'd leave my Cricut and Cuttlebug out (if I had one (an island, that is))! Thanks for all the great ideas ladies@!

Last edited by muzbysmom; 09-25-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: correct
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Great Ideas!

Perfect timing to come across this thread... I am also in the process of redesigning the crop area - and I'm absolutely sharing this info w/my DH, who INSISTS he knows more about what I want in MY room than I do! You guys are confirming alot of my arguments. Haha and YAY!
Reply With Quote Likes