Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #1  
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Silent Auction; Things Kids can Make

Hello ladies at SCS. I am in need of some suggestions for my silent auction at my school this October. I teach at a private school (k-4, K, 1st grade). We have a silent auction every October. Well I have ran out of ideas to do. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, suggestions etc.

These are some things I have done in the past:

Canvas Art
Picture Frame
Scrapbook
Clock
Quilt

Any help, suggestions, ideas would really help. Thanks in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I'm not sure how big or small you want but how about, Post it note covers with coordinating pen, or 10 cards for various occassions pack. That's all I can think of for now, if my brain starts working again I will fnd more ideas for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Default silent auction

Gift set with matching stamped items cards,candle,candy box,gift bag, coasters,book mark
Gift basket or lunch pail filled with all occasion cards
Smores in a can paint can
calendar...go to www.paperdaisys.com and on the 1st page, there is a framed calendar that you can write on wipe off each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

How about advent calendars?
Altered Cookie Sheet Advent Calendar by scrapshappen at Splitcoaststampers

Also, here's a great example of a card gift basket:
Bit by Bit Basket by TruCarMa at Splitcoaststampers

Just a couple from my favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm not sure if this is a good idea for you, but this is what I did for my church's silent auction last fall. I made a 30 page Christmas scrapbook album (6x6), 25 different handmade Christmas cards, and 25 different gift tags and I put them all into one basket.

For the scrapbook I used a simply scrappin kit, which made it so easy and quick to put together. For the gift tags I used my SU Christmas stamps and lots of scrap paper I had lying around. Then I purchased a basket at AC Moore and I decorated it with a blue snowman cloth and matching blue bow. (I have pictures of the ablum that I made in my gallery).

Sorry about the picture. I know it's not the greatest. I forgot to take a picture of my basket and at the last minute my husband snapped this picture in our garage.

Last edited by LaLatty; 11-09-2009 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a basket of cards I made for a church-related fundraiser (Relief Sale)Card Gift Basket by cullenwr at Splitcoaststampers

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #7  

i guess i should have said this is something the kids have to make. SORRY for not saying that in the begining. :( Its something that they have to put together/decorate do etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #8  

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE IDEAS SO FAR.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

One year for my son's first grade class, I got an old ladder back chair from Goodwill for a couple bucks. I sanded it and spray painted it a lime green and then took it into the class and had the kids do their thumbprints all over it in red acrylic paint. I also had them sign under the seat in black Sharpie. Their little first grade "signatures" are so cute....I took the chair home and used a Sharpie to add dots, eyes and feelers to make the red thumbprints into ladybugs. I wrote along the ladder back of the chair, "Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home...." It turned out cute!!

Just an idea! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3pumpkinsmommyView Post
One year for my son's first grade class, I got an old ladder back chair from Goodwill for a couple bucks. I sanded it and spray painted it a lime green and then took it into the class and had the kids do their thumbprints all over it in red acrylic paint. I also had them sign under the seat in black Sharpie. Their little first grade "signatures" are so cute....I took the chair home and used a Sharpie to add dots, eyes and feelers to make the red thumbprints into ladybugs. I wrote along the ladder back of the chair, "Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home...." It turned out cute!!

Just an idea! Good luck!
TOO CUTE Thanks for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #11  

BUMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

For the auction at my private school, my 4 year class did a magnet board. I got a frame and got tin at Lowes. The frame had a 2 inch border ...I wrote part of a poem around the 4 sides...the children did red, yellow and black fingerprints. I then turned them into ladybugs, bees and butterflies. We also did fingerprints and used the flat clear marbles to make magnets for the board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolitwillyView Post
For the auction at my private school, my 4 year class did a magnet board. I got a frame and got tin at Lowes. The frame had a 2 inch border ...I wrote part of a poem around the 4 sides...the children did red, yellow and black fingerprints. I then turned them into ladybugs, bees and butterflies. We also did fingerprints and used the flat clear marbles to make magnets for the board.

Thanks for your information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #14  

anyone else have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #15  

BUMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

package of thank you notes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

How about the cute little totes that you make and put cards and envelopes in? I make a lot of these and they sell for $15.00. That is for the tote and 4 cards with envelopes. The totes are so easy to make and they are darling.
Just an idea.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the same predicament as you, Nichole. I teach art at a private school and was asked to create some marketable products for our fall bazaar. We did three projects to that end this week:

1. The older grades were given a canvas board (for each student) and given instructions to create an abstract painting, using only straight lines that couldn't intersect on the picture plane, and circles of varying sizes (the circles and lines could intersect). Then they filled in the fields using whatever color scheme they wanted, but starting only with primary colors and black and white. Each picture turned out completely different, but they were all remarkable.

2. My middle grades created bath salts. I bought 30 $1 bottles from Hobby Lobby, as well as Epsom salt and sea salt, and colorant (also from Hobby Lobby, in the lotion/soap/etc. making section). I had a stash of fragrance oils from Craft Lobby(?) from a MOPS project I led a few years ago that we used for fragrance. I had the class draw numbers from a hat, with 3 teams resulting. Team One was the salt mixing team--they measured the epsom and sea salts (5:1 ratio) and stirred them in big bowls. Team Two was in charge of fragrance--they were to narrow down the choices of fragrances, with the option of mixing smells to create a fragrance, to 5 choices for the class to vote for the final two. And the third team was the spoon team. I got some really cheap tea spoons at Wal-Mart (6 for $1) and had the team use E6000 to adhere colorful beads and buttons to the spoons. The spoons would then become the scoops that would be sold with the bottled salts. The class then voted on 2 fragrances and 2 colors for their class' salts. Finally, I had them sketch out labels individual to their class to print onto stickers or tags to promote their creations.

3. My youngest students created paper bag books entitled, "All About Me," in which they were given pages I printed and pre-cut to fit onto a paper lunch bag folded in half (the books will have 2 luch sacks folded in half per child). The topics on each page included: this is me and my family, this is my favorite color, this is my favorite animal, etc. In addition, they will also make memo pads from the leftover paper I had after cutting out the pages which will fit into the pocket ends of the books (pockets were formed from the tops of the lunch bags). They will also have the option of making some secret notes for their parents to stick into the pockets. Then we'll hole punch them on the spines and tie ribbon in the holes. Parents or grandparents can't resist these treasures and the kids enjoyed becoming authors.

I hope those descriptions make sense. Thanks to everyone so far for the other ideas--I'm taking notes for my class!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #19  

These things sound great. You know as a teacher you think you know what to come up with. I just got a blank mind and was like what in the world am i going to do. so then i thought well i will just post a thread and see what information other people have. thanks for yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by artlikefastfoodView Post
I'm in the same predicament as you, Nichole. I teach art at a private school and was asked to create some marketable products for our fall bazaar. We did three projects to that end this week:

1. The older grades were given a canvas board (for each student) and given instructions to create an abstract painting, using only straight lines that couldn't intersect on the picture plane, and circles of varying sizes (the circles and lines could intersect). Then they filled in the fields using whatever color scheme they wanted, but starting only with primary colors and black and white. Each picture turned out completely different, but they were all remarkable.

2. My middle grades created bath salts. I bought 30 $1 bottles from Hobby Lobby, as well as Epsom salt and sea salt, and colorant (also from Hobby Lobby, in the lotion/soap/etc. making section). I had a stash of fragrance oils from Craft Lobby(?) from a MOPS project I led a few years ago that we used for fragrance. I had the class draw numbers from a hat, with 3 teams resulting. Team One was the salt mixing team--they measured the epsom and sea salts (5:1 ratio) and stirred them in big bowls. Team Two was in charge of fragrance--they were to narrow down the choices of fragrances, with the option of mixing smells to create a fragrance, to 5 choices for the class to vote for the final two. And the third team was the spoon team. I got some really cheap tea spoons at Wal-Mart (6 for $1) and had the team use E6000 to adhere colorful beads and buttons to the spoons. The spoons would then become the scoops that would be sold with the bottled salts. The class then voted on 2 fragrances and 2 colors for their class' salts. Finally, I had them sketch out labels individual to their class to print onto stickers or tags to promote their creations.

3. My youngest students created paper bag books entitled, "All About Me," in which they were given pages I printed and pre-cut to fit onto a paper lunch bag folded in half (the books will have 2 luch sacks folded in half per child). The topics on each page included: this is me and my family, this is my favorite color, this is my favorite animal, etc. In addition, they will also make memo pads from the leftover paper I had after cutting out the pages which will fit into the pocket ends of the books (pockets were formed from the tops of the lunch bags). They will also have the option of making some secret notes for their parents to stick into the pockets. Then we'll hole punch them on the spines and tie ribbon in the holes. Parents or grandparents can't resist these treasures and the kids enjoyed becoming authors.

I hope those descriptions make sense. Thanks to everyone so far for the other ideas--I'm taking notes for my class!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Pottery goes for huge amounts here. Students paint one piece and put all their names on it and the parents fight over them. I've seen platters go for over $200 because grandma has to have it because her grandson's thumb print is on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

We've had art auctions at our center too. The center buys the materials and the children paint, etc. on them. Some things we've had in the past are:

Wooden shelves
Ball jar lamps
Pillows with class picture ironed on
Placemats/napkins/napkin rings
Towels painted with handprints
Wooden Christmas tree with holes for lights
Quilts-one was made from a tshirt from each child
Painted Picture frames
Framed artwork (paintings)
Wall hanging (hanging by dowel rod at top)
Wooden bench
Stepping stones

That's all I can think of right now.....it's been about a year since we had our last auction...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Just to let you know...the magnet frame with the fingerprints on it went for $150.00 at the auction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

My kids school has an auction every year too. Each class makes a project to sell. One of the classes had each child make a tile. Then all of the tiles were put on a painted wooden table. It was ridiculous how much money they got for that project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Another private school art teacher who's been asked to come up with things for fundraising...subscribing!

I love the chair idea! and many others :-)
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #25  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

Try the family fun web site. I get the magazine and they have lots of craft projects for kids. I bet some of their stuff would be good for your class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I had my daughter's first grade class decorate a terra cotta pot. The art teacher allowed me a day to show them thumbwork art from Ed Emberley so the children would have an idea of what garden creature they wanted to make - bugs, butterflies, flowers, etc.

During several lunches, I painted their thumb or finger and helped them stamp. Then, they drew in the details with a black marker and signed their name. We used the terra cotta paint pen markers from Michael's.

I had the kids make two pots - one to give to the teacher as a class gift and one for the auction. For the teacher's pot, I wrote Thanks for helping us grow! around the rim - for the auction pot I think I just wrote the class name and year.

Oh and I put in a pretty flowery plant before giving the pots away.

I thought the end result was pretty cute - it was hard to let them go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #27  

thanks for the ideas ladies. great ones. i need to get busy on something. just that something i have no IDEA LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Funny you should start this thread!

My middle son is a freshman in college and is playing lacrosse. They are having a silent auction fundraiser with a variety of baskets.

We are donating an "All Things PA" basket. The school is in Maryland so we thought it would be a bit different.

We are including Heinz condiments and sauces (DH represents them), Hershey chocolates and "chocolate dollars" that can be used at any Hershey Park, the spa, or any Hershey Entertainment event, Lebanon bologna, a 6-pack of Yuengling lager, Middleswarth chips (THE single best potato chips on the planet) and Snyders of Hanover pretzels.

Maybe you can do a basket of local items near you? Maybe some local merchants will donate iems?
Reply With Quote Likes