Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?

I've been debating this for a while...I saw on Jody's blog ~here~ where she did this. She separated her SU stamps out of the sets and organized them by category.

I love the idea of doing this, but am not sure about actually doing it. Thoughts of reorganizing all my stamps have me unsure. What a big project. I'm also a little unsure of how I'd handle keeping my unmounteds, clear and woodmounteds together.

What do you think? Have you tried this? Love it? Hate it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a great idea, but I'm too scared to do it.

I had to make a graduation card, for example, made do with some wimpy graduation stamp, then later realized I had some terrific SU graduation stamps in multi-purpose sets.

Maybe a compromise would be to organize just the multi-purpose sets by category.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been debating - just cause I don't have anyway of storing them
except in the cases they come in.

hmmmmm. The door is opening wider
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I have not tried it but I am loving the idea. It is SO frustrating to look and look for a certain kind of stamp, wondering which set it was in! LOL! Especially with my combo of SU, misc wood mounted, clear and unmounted stamps!!!

My one reserve would be... what if I ever want to sell a set *shudder* think of the effort that would entail!!!!!! :eek: Would you label each stamp with the set name it came from, or keep a master list, or maybe keep a photo album of each set, how it came so if you need to piece them together, you just look at the pictures??? Hmmm... this is sounding pretty good!

Frugal Shopper Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #5  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am LMBO here! I saw the title of the thread so I clicked on it because as you know I separated my stamps, so I was coming here to say I DO! LMBO!

Anyway, yes I did it. AND I don't regret it. :mrgreen: I will say it was a bit of a nightmare once I started. Like any other reorganizational project, it definitely gets worse before it gets better! :cool: I can share my process with you and maybe it will help you decide what to do.

It will take me a while to type it up, but I will post when I am done. LOL

I do want to say that I LOVE it and I continue to break them up when appropriate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

It looks a great idea, but I only have 6 stamp sets at the mo lol! Good thing is if you keep the catalogs and cases you could always put them back to the original packages if it didn't work out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't want to separate all the sets. But I did see where someone took all the word stamps out of her sets.

I keep a notebook where I have stamped all (well I must admit, I'm behind in this, so not all) the stamps. That notebook shows me where the sets are in their other notebooks.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I don't think I could seperate my sets. I have all my SU sets on one shelf, my misc. woodmounted in a basket with numbers on the ends and my acrylics in page protectors in a binder. As for knowing what stamps I have, I stamp each image from the set with the set name or with my misc woodmounted I stamp them and then give it a number and place the number on the end of the wood so when I need to know what I have I just look in my index and get out the sets that I need. This is what works for me so far, but I know that others have other methods that work for them. All I can suggest is find out what works best for you and your space and go with it, if it ends up not working out for you, you can always find a different way. I would suggest however that if you are going to seperate out the stamps from your sets that you keep an index of what stamps go with what sets in case you ever change your mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I can see the sense in this in many ways-ie to have all sentiments together, all flowers etc- this is exactly how I store all non SU stamps, in drawers of type. However, one of the joys, for me at least, of SU stamps is that the whole co-ordination of images is done for me. I especially love the 2 step stamping-it is just wonderful for me.

I don't have nearly as many sets as many here as I'm in the Uk and only discovered SU a few months ago-currently about 20+, but I find the whole storage box thing very useful-though they end up taking up loads of space somehow I still love it. I certainly have sets that do work well together-Spring garden, flowers for a friend, hand painted petites for a start, but as i still store SU sets in type-so flowers together etc, and I don't have hundreds, I have a look through the sets relevent to see if a cross over is possible.

In terms of mixing stamps-be it permanantly or temporary, i would like SU to consider in some way incorporating the set names into the individual stamp labelling. Many sets have very similar stamps and it is all to easy to get muddled and as the 'clam box' (I believe it's called?) has no identification photo, I find myself peering desperately as the Splitcoast gallery in order to determine if so and so stamp lives in this set or that set!!

Splitting could create some amazing results and save time-but I love just looking at these works of art (the stamps not my cards!) but I can't imagine for a moment that SU think purely in 'sets' or there wouldn't be that obvious crossover there often seems to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I couldn't separate siblings. Never!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

The stamp sets are like a family! You wouldn't want to separate the brothers from the sisters and the mothers or fathers from the children, would you?

:mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I unmounted all my sets and store them in CD cases. I have all the CD cases numbered and labeled as well. THen I have a loose leaf notebook with all of them stamped in there with the number of the set. If I buy another set, I just make it as a "B" set. For instance, I had a butterfly set numbered 39 so my new Flight of the Butterfly is set 39B. Hope that makes sense - it sure makes finding the appropriate stamp a lot easier! There are many times I come across a stamp image when looking through my notebook that I forgot I had!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
No, I couldn't separate siblings. Never!!!
Jinx!

You owe me a Diet Coke! :mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I could never separate mine. But, I did read somewhere - either here or on a blog, where someone actually indexed all of her stamps and sets, in Excel, I think.

Basically what she did is listed 'flowers' and every set that had flowers and where she had it stored, and did the same with 'butterflies' etc., etc.

I love this idea, but i just am not that organized that I could go through every stamp I own and index it, and then store it in the exact same location every time I used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to do it all the time. All of my SU sets were just stored with all of my "other" stamps according to type of image. When I wound up selling some of them, I found out the downside of doing that, lol! I felt terrible that I found out too late that a couple of sets had been sold incomplete...aack! By the time I'd figured that out, my ebay records no longer reflected transactions that far back.

I do take a copy of the label sheet before mounting the sets. I trim it and tape it to the bottom of the stamp case so I have a visual index of the stamps that should be in there. I just can't count on my memory anymore, sadly!

I do think that there's no harm in separating the sets into different categories. If I ever do it again, I'll just make SURE to take all those photocopies of the label sheets and store them in a book so I'll have a better record.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Talking

I'm way too **** to split up the sets. The good news is I can very easily find the one stamp I need from a particular set. The downside to this marvelous skill is I can't remember much else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I would not separate the two-step stamps, or other stamps that are obviously coordinates, but I will remove the word stamps and categorize them by type. I don't like digging through many sets to find the right sentiment. So all my Happy Birthdays, etc...are together, whether or not they came in a word set or with images.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

NEVER! They are together because they're all one style - they match!

What I've done to easily find them is kinda extreme. I've scanned every label sheet into my computer and made a database (467 records, so far) where the label sheet picture, all of the words on the stamps, and descriptions of the images are recorded. On the computer, I can search for an image, a word/phrase, or a theme and see all of the stamps that match. I also printed each record from the database on a page and placed them in a HUGE three-ring binder for browsing when I'm not using the computer. Now the sets (in their original cases) are all in file cabinets sorted alphabetically for quick retrieval.

It works for me :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have separated the majority of my stamps or at least half. Almost all the word stamps are gone from the sets that I have kept together. I have drawers with "thank you" - "birthday messages" - etc.... When I get a stamp set one of the things I do is write (with a fineline permanent marker) on the ends the name of the stamp set and how many stamps. In other words, the stamp may say "Heard from the Heart 1/4" meaning the name of the set and 1 of 4, the next one would have the name and 2/4. That way if I get them separated I can always put the sets back together. Also if I remove words from the boxes, I stick a postit note in the bottom with a note "two word stamps." This remind me that there are two word stamps that are filed elsewhere.

To me this just works well. If I want a stamp that says "Happy Birthday" I only have to look in the drawer that says "Happy Birthday" on it and every single stamp I have with those words is in that drawere.

Just my two cents, or maybe three cents, worth.

Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Ooohhh! I'd love to hear about your process. Thanks for taking the time to type it up.

I was hoping you'd chime in on your thoughts on having done this, so I'm glad you checked this out:-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynnView Post
I am LMBO here! I saw the title of the thread so I clicked on it because as you know I separated my stamps, so I was coming here to say I DO! LMBO!

Anyway, yes I did it. AND I don't regret it. :mrgreen: I will say it was a bit of a nightmare once I started. Like any other reorganizational project, it definitely gets worse before it gets better! :cool: I can share my process with you and maybe it will help you decide what to do.

It will take me a while to type it up, but I will post when I am done. LOL

I do want to say that I LOVE it and I continue to break them up when appropriate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I photocopy the label before I attach it to the wood. I keep that in the bottom of the plastic case so I always know what stamps go where. This works even if you do not take the sentiments out. How many times have you had several sets out and forget which go back in which case? I do take all sentiments out. I have separate drawers/cases for all like sentiments...ie birthday, thank you. Very often I want a different orientation than the one that "goes" with a set or use a set that isn't meant for ...."happy birthday". As I have many sets I purchased before I started copying the labels, I just stamp the set on a piece of copy paper. Whatever works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Default seperating stamps?

I don't think I want to seperate the sets, but I did put sets together, just today. My big box of goodies came and I was mounting them up. Inspired by nature came in a box with tons of room left over, so I tucked pocket silhouettes in there with it. I will save the clear box for the little set, but I might use it to store something else in.

Frames with a flourish has a bunch of room left over and I was thinking of putting my non-SU! frames in there with it so that I could see more of them at once. I wish that they could size the boxes more exactly to the stamp et size. Say for instance the BG stamps. They come in big boxes with inches to spare. I have squeezed my sets into smaller boxes when I could to save space.

Here's another Hmm.... to wonder about - If they don't want to offer an UM option why do the blocks have to be so darn thick? Some of us may stamp "with enthusiasm", but I doubt that we would crack or break a block even if it was half as thick. Smaller boxes, more storage space, lower postage, less cost. Happy company, happy stampers.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I have to say Jody's room looks amazing.. I don't know that I could do it, but seeing how neat it looks I might just be tempted!! I think I'll wait for the "instructions" too! :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it and regretted it. I have put them back sense then.

I'm generally low on stamps though. Not buying/keeping as many, so it's not an issue now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My Inventory System - Willing to Share

I would never, never break up my children from their families.

I have a rather elaborate (and sounds like similar to others) system of inventorying my stamps. I'd be glad to e-mail it to anyone interested - but I warn you up front, it is rather obnoxious! Can't help it - I love organization!

You'll have to e-mail me - I might not find my way back here.

And for the gal with only 6 sets - THIS IS THE TIME TO START!!! You have the advantage of doing it the right way - right from the beginning. Much easier than when you have 200 sets or more, like some of us...

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Get out of those boxes ladies. LOL Who says you have to keep them in sets?

If mine come unmounted they stay that way. I add EZ Mount cling to the back of my SU stamps. My sentiments are all in one spot. Holidays in another, flowers, backgrounds and so on. It makes life so much easier. Not to mention how much less shelf space it takes up.

I have repurposed almost all of the clear boxes to store other things. I have even used them as gift packaging.

Really there is nothing that says they must stay in sets. I think the stamps are like us. Social, they would like to get out and mingle - met some others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

The stamp sets are like a family! You wouldn't want to separate the brothers from the sisters and the mothers or fathers from the children, would you?

Sure I could! I am COLD-blooded. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Several years ago I gave my permission to split up my sets. My stamps are stored in the SU style boxes with like stamps. I have drawers by categories (flowers, trees, birthday, people, warm fuzzy, critters, etc.) I also have drawers for word stamps (love, friends, family, inspiration, thinking of you, etc.) When I'm looking for a specific sentiment I just go to the drawer and fiind what I want. There are some sets that I do not separate such as 2-step. I don't plan to sell my stamps and if I do, I have a copy of the stamps in the set in my stamp journal so I can put the set back together.

With this system, I feel I really use most of my stamps. When I want to stamp a heart, I can go to the heart drawer and see what looks the best. With over 50 heart stamps, I want to see them all as you never know what may spark my inspiration .. and I need all the sparks I can get!

I just signed up as a demo so I know it may be a bit of a pain to put the sets back together for a workshop, but I don't plan on doing a lot of workshops so maybe it won't be an issue. Anyway, I am never going back to storing all my stamps in sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

l could never seperate all of my SU sets!!! (However there are a few sets of all occasions stamps that I forget when I'm looking for a heart, snowflake, package etc that there is one in the set.) I do have a few non SU stamps that I store in SU clear boxes by catagory. SU used to sell them in the catalog, now if you would like to order them, you need to have your demonstrator order them on one of her supply orders. All sizes are available, but I always get the Jumbo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

LOL!

So you don't keep your SU stamps woodmounted? (That's a whole other thread, I know....I'm still torn between keepin' them mounted or unmounting them...)

You've hit on exactly why I'm so intrigued with resorting my stamps...I think I will use more of the stamps that I do own. Right now I rely on my good 'ol memory to guide me in what stamps I use...and I my memory has definitely been better :rolleyes: I think the idea of all my stamps being sorted by category would help me use them more often...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
Get out of those boxes ladies. LOL Who says you have to keep them in sets?

If mine come unmounted they stay that way. I add EZ Mount cling to the back of my SU stamps. My sentiments are all in one spot. Holidays in another, flowers, backgrounds and so on. It makes life so much easier. Not to mention how much less shelf space it takes up.

I have repurposed almost all of the clear boxes to store other things. I have even used them as gift packaging.

Really there is nothing that says they must stay in sets. I think the stamps are like us. Social, they would like to get out and mingle - met some others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post

OMG!!! I had no idea how **** I am!!! Not only could I never split them up - it's killing me that you do!!! I have got to get a life!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by judybrombachView Post
OMG!!! I had no idea how **** I am!!! Not only could I never split them up - it's killing me that you do!!! I have got to get a life!;)
Oops! Had no idea that was a bad word. Let's just say "type-a" personality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Oops! Had no idea that was a bad word. Let's just say "type-a" personality.
Oh, that is too funny. I would not have thought it a bad word. Just descriptive.
:-D

I would say I am very type-a also. That is why they have to go by style. When I want a flower I want to go to my flowers. When I want a flourish....

It also allows me to be more portable. I can carry my colorbox cat's eyes, stamps, cutter and paper in a tiny tote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh no! Say it ain't so! This can only work for awhile, as you got to as many as I have (200 or so sets) you could never find the butterfly that goes with that one flower or the one little birdie that sits perfectly on the branch. The are designed to align by both style and function. (Take the "priceless" set for example, the swirl is much cuter when it's paired with the butterfly and hearts that are the same style, it would be tough to remember where that darn "circle-y swirl" that matched the "long skinny swoop" was.kwim? I'm afraid that breaking them up may actually diminish your use of them, imho.

I'd go for a way to catalog them instead. But hey, they are yours, make yourself happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Oh I just started convulsing at the mere thought of separating my sets!! I could never ever do that - I like how they coordinate, and if I ever want to use one image, I know exactly what box to look in. If I were to ever even consider separating them (GULP!!) what about years down the road when I wonder, "now this set had a little swirly thingy in it... where is that??" I'd end up in the fetal position next to my stamp shelf.... yep, I'm a Type-A-all-the-way.

I guess I'm a vote for keeping them together, eh?

Visit my Blog!
See my SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I have done this for years. Here is a picture of an up close tray and then I stack the trays like here! I do categorize my stamps a little more than some people may, but let me break it down for you.
I photocopy the label sheet, twice---one goes in the clamshell and one goes in my binder.
I write on the side of the wood block, what set it goes to---with a fine point sharpie
I separate by category---bday, hearts, stars, animals, flowers, holidays...
I also separate by category in my binder---so some sets may appear more that once in different categories
I keep my clamshells and when I am doing a workshop or whatever, it is really easy to put them back in the box and bring them.
Having all my sentiments on trays, helps when someone wants a different sentiment, IMO
Storage is way easier and finding what I want, I don't have to topple over the stack of sets!
I also am starting an excel sheet with sets, price, year it came out, but that is a project that may never get done!
Yes, it is daunting to start, but like any organizatoin project it is worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #37  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

AMEN sister! i'd NEVER split my stamps up... now, i've been known to cut sentiments off images, but that's as far as i'll go
Old 09-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
AMEN sister! i'd NEVER split my stamps up... now, i've been known to cut sentiments off images, but that's as far as i'll go
But then you put them on the side of the block - right? C'mon, help a girl out here - I'm Hyperventilating!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I can't because I'm a SU demonstrator, and in selling or trading retired sets it would get confusing and for workshops it would be a no-go. However, each person needs to come up with a system that works for them. If I weren't a demo, I would find catagorizing to be more helpful for just personal use!! I have taken most of my sentiment stamps that have retired and lumped them together--thank yous, Bible verses, etc. I never get rid of those. You can never have too many senitments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #40  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

But then you put them on the side of the block - right? C'mon, help a girl out here - I'm Hyperventilating!!!
well.... sometimes i even put them on their own block, but only if an extra block fits in the box! tee hee