Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about matting, layers, measurements and straightness

Let's talk about this. I consider myself a good eyeballer, but I often have SLIGHTLY crooked layers on my cards, and it drives me batty. Often after I think it's straight, I look at it in another angle and it turned out that it's crooked, but already stuck on.

So how do you make your mats straight, what measurements do you use for mats, I've seen cards with just a hair of a mat showing.

Just tell me everything you think I should know to get better at this.

I know about perfect layers, but they're wicked hard to find. And I heard people just end up cutting into the plastic ruler with their exacto knife. I don't own this tool...

Thanks

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I cut almost everything but my tiny layers with my MM Rotary Trimmer. If it's lined up at the bottom, it will be perfectly square, then I just measure my first layer and add the measurements to make the layer under it and so on. As long as each is held carefully flush, they come out perfect.

I had the Perfect Layers tool and hated it...I found it wasn't worth digging out, and that it was more likely to slip than the big trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have this same problem. I think that something like Nestabilities would solve it somewhat. I'd still have to adhere everything straight, but at least the panels would be perfectly sized. LOL Can't cut straight to save my life, but some here have said that the Tim Holtz craft ruler is really good for lining up your paper.

Thanks for starting this thread, as I'd like to know what others do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stampin' Up's grid paper is an awesome tool for lining up your layers. A lot of people think it's only scratch paper, but it's a wonderful measuring tool, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

How do you use the grid paper for lining up your layers? In my head I can only see being able to line up your bottom layer within the grid lines, but they wouldn't help when I tried to put the next layer, centered, straight and with even borders on my next layer.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bump-I am curious too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I want the Perfect Layers set, too. Right now, I use the Tim Holtz Design Ruler. It's see-thru acrylic with a grid printed on it. There also a metal "edge" so you don't cut into your ruler. Bonus: holes for paper piercing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
bump-I am curious too!
Someone suggested this and I found it works pretty good-use post it notes! Get everything centered/straight then run two postit notes along a side edge and the top edge. I also run the postits off the edge of the bottom layer so it will stay in place. Then you can apply adhesive to the top layer & just line it up with the postits!

Also, a centering ruler makes life a lot easier!

However, I still for the life of me cannot line up a cardfront perfectly! I usually just trim off the offending edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use my eyes. There are time when the background image might make a layer appear crooked, so I will adjust it and even though it's technically crooked it looks better to the eye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's how I use the grid paper. The little squares are a quarter inch. Mind you, there are rulers marked out on the edges of the grid paper also, but I tend to use the little squares themselves. For example, if I have a layer that I'm trying to get centered on my card, I will place the card on the paper, then line my layered piece up on my grid paper and look to see if I have an equal number on squares on all sides. It's really easy to see if a layer is crooked, just by seeing if it lines up all the way across the line of the grid.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I struggled with crooked layers for some time. Drove me nuts. My cutter would not give me a straight line. I am not a fan of using a ruler with a craft knife - that just sounds like an ER visit waiting to happen. I now have Nestabilities and a better cutter. I love using the Nestabilities for layers. Easy, easy, easy. And I got a Tonic cutter, tossed the Fiskars cutter that could not cut straight ever! If you can invest in some nestabilities or a good cutter. Too often the cheap ones just don't cut well - you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I invested $$$ in a Carl Cutter two years ago and am still using the same blade - it's sharp as ever, and not a wonky cut in that time. I have replaced the cutting strip but that's only around $6.00 and you can change it from end to end, and front to back, so you actually get four times the cutting on it. The measurements on the 12 x 12 board are in 1/32" 1/16", 1/8", 1/4", 1/2"", 1" increments etc.

Perfect layers are not a problem for me any more.

Celticrafter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I just cut everything on my SU table top paper trimmer. Normally I do 1/8" mats. I do 1/4" sometimes, but I really prefer 1/8" in most cases. I don't always have them perfect, but as long as it's pretty close I doubt worry about it too much. It is a handmade card after all. I think imperfections are expected.

One thing I've noticed is that the top and bottom edge on most paper trimmers aren't perfectly straight. They're just a tad off, but it's enough to make a difference. Once I realized that, my layers started looking a lot better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I just use my eyes. There are time when the background image might make a layer appear crooked, so I will adjust it and even though it's technically crooked it looks better to the eye.
I'd echo this. There are some Hero Arts images I use a lot, and although they are in *square* frames they are not true squares. Times like that I think it's better to mat using the lines in the image. I had the same issue today with a Rubber Romance stamp I used for the silhouette challenge - until I came to matting it, I didn't realise it wasn't quite square.
Mostly I just use either the Judikins ruler which is in cm or the Tim Holtz one which is in inches - between the two I have a good choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Stampin' Up's grid paper is an awesome tool for lining up your layers. A lot of people think it's only scratch paper, but it's a wonderful measuring tool, too!
Quote:

Here's how I use the grid paper. The little squares are a quarter inch. Mind you, there are rulers marked out on the edges of the grid paper also, but I tend to use the little squares themselves. For example, if I have a layer that I'm trying to get centered on my card, I will place the card on the paper, then line my layered piece up on my grid paper and look to see if I have an equal number on squares on all sides. It's really easy to see if a layer is crooked, just by seeing if it lines up all the way across the line of the grid.
Yep, exactly what I do. Quad paper works equally well, the kind you get in the school supply section of most big box stores or office supply stores. The grid paper is a larger piece of paper with measurements though, which makes it handier.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

If I'm not using my rectangular nesties for a scalloped edge, I adhere the small piece to a mat that is cut slightly too big. Then I trim off the edges with my craft knife and a metal ruler - eyeballing the amoount to cut off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I use an old (read it as 'ancient') Fiskars tabletop paper cutter to cut - everything is always true. Then, for placement . . . I use a sewing notion called a hem guage (it's a metal, 6 inch, slim, ruler with a sliding, plastic pointer). If I need a 1/4" all around, I set the pointer at 1/4" inch . . . eyeball it first, hold in place and check with the hem guage. It sounds more complicated than it really is . . . the hem guages are cheap at Wal-Mart or craft stores . . . you could give it a try for less than $1, I would think.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the Perfect Layers tool. It works GREAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

LOVE my Perfect Layers too! There's a tutorial on my blog....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Oh Geez...I guess I gotta get with the times. I just use my eyeball and my fingernails. I hold the piece of paper I want to mat up against the paper that will serve as the mat, then eyeball how much I want as a mat and mark it with my fingernail. I make my cut right on the indent. As long as my eyesight holds up, this works for me;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Perfect Layers tool! I use a small rotary cutter (available in the quilting supplies dept) because I feel I have more control than with a craft blade. Even though SU retired this item recently, you can still buy them from several places. Check out this link for QVC. They have a pretty good deal on them right now.

Also check out this thread that was recently on the Tools and Products forum where we discussed the Perfect Layers tool.

If you are obsessive about perfect mats and straight edges, like I am, you will find this a worthwhile investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Honestly, the Perfect Layers Tool is absolutely worth every bit of trouble to find it. I have tried every which way, and NOTHING even comes close to giving me perfect, PROFESSIONAL looking mats EVERY SINGLE TIME like Perfect Layers does.

And just because you might nick the tool every now and then doesn't render it useless.

Besides card stock, a trimmer, and an adhesive, this is the ONLY product I use on every single card/layout I make. They will have to pry the thing from my cold, dead hands! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #23  
dal
Kookie Creator

I have a question about the perfect layers tool (I have one), but I never use it as I glue my layers together after I have already cut all of them (this way my layers are always centered). Am I correct in my assumption that you use the perfect layers tool after you have glued (taped etc) one layer ontop of another? My tool (from SU) did not come with any sort of instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalView Post
I have a question about the perfect layers tool (I have one), but I never use it as I glue my layers together after I have already cut all of them (this way my layers are always centered). Am I correct in my assumption that you use the perfect layers tool after you have glued (taped etc) one layer ontop of another? My tool (from SU) did not come with any sort of instructions.
Yes, you do adhere your layers first. The great thing about PL is that you can slap the top layer onto the larger layer any ol' way, use your PL tool, and you will get a perfectly centered mat. You can even mat an odd shaped layer. The funny thing is that I was always pretty good at eyeballing my layers to get them even, so I didn't really think I would use this tool that much...but now, I always mat w/ it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post
Honestly, the Perfect Layers Tool is absolutely worth every bit of trouble to find it. I have tried every which way, and NOTHING even comes close to giving me perfect, PROFESSIONAL looking mats EVERY SINGLE TIME like Perfect Layers does.

And just because you might nick the tool every now and then doesn't render it useless.

Besides card stock, a trimmer, and an adhesive, this is the ONLY product I use on every single card/layout I make. They will have to pry the thing from my cold, dead hands! :mrgreen:
What she said!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my perfect layers tool. In fact, I have two just in case something should ever happen to mine!! There is a slight learning curve but once you have it, you will NEVER be without it and it's as easy as putting adhesive on your card. And absolutely they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands! LOVE it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a brand new, tried once SU Perfect Layer Tool I would love to sell!

I can't use it, no strength in my hands to use as craft knife.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Perfectly straight lines are highly over rated. I cut everything on my SU paper trimmer (probably made for SU by Fiskars) and it's good enough for me! If something really just doesn't 'look' right, time to tear it! Works every time:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMama1204View Post
Oh Geez...I guess I gotta get with the times. I just use my eyeball and my fingernails. I hold the piece of paper I want to mat up against the paper that will serve as the mat, then eyeball how much I want as a mat and mark it with my fingernail. I make my cut right on the indent. As long as my eyesight holds up, this works for me;) .
BWAaaaah, I thought I was the only one!

The thing that makes this work is the simple little fiscars cutter. (I have the old gray kind and the new purple kind like SU's, I actually like the old kind a bit better) I could never get a straight line until it came into my life. If you hold the piece of paper at the bottom with the swing arm out to the right and push the paper flush against it, then pull firmly and quickly down toward you, you'll get a perfect cut. Then I do the fingernail and eyeball thing and repeat! If I need to I can shave a HAIR off with that cutter! Amazing!

I should also confess that sometimes I glue my piece down first with two sides lined up and then use my cutter to trim the rest.... shhh don't tell anyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE my Perfect Layers tool! I use it all the time. Don't know what I would do without it!

Member #32310
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

I love my perfect layers set. I bought mine off QVC and have worn out one set, have the set I am now using and have another set unopened for a spare. Don't think I could scrap without it!!!!! The ultimate tool for mats.
..............did I mention I love perfect layers!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to have a lot of problems with getting my layers straignt until I tool a class where the instructor told us to measure our rulers against our paper cutters and other rulers we owned. I found that some of my rulers were off by 1/16" from other rulers. Others we not equal to my paper cutters. I now use only c-thru rulers because they all match each other and my paper cutter. If you don't want to buy new rulers, at least only use the same ruler to make all your measurements. In addition, the C-thru rulers have a grid that allows you to make sure your layers are straight and even. It helps, really it does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post

Yep! I totally agree with you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

I just use my MM paper trimmer to cut my mats. Depending what I am looking for as far as a look, I got anywhere from 1/8 to 1 inch or more for a mat more than my pictures.

To get them line up straight I bought a see-through grid ruler that is 18 inches long and it works amazing for lining things up - on cards as well as on my scrapbook pages.
Reply With Quote Likes