Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How do you manage cardstock scraps??

I'm a new demo, but this question applies to everyone. I keep my cardstock in Rubbermaid file boxes, and each color has its own hanging file.

What do you do about scraps? I put half and quarter sheets in the file with the full sheets, but the smaller scraps I put elsewhere, but not sure where that "elsewhere" is yet!! <G> When I need to punch a circle, or when I need a small piece of cardstock for a sentiment, I don't want to use a 1/4, 1/2 or whole piece of cardstock!

Also, do you keep those 1/4" wide strips that you get from making cardstock layers? You know - when you cut 1/4" off two sides of a panel to layer on a card?? What do you use them for??

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:08 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh goody.. I thought I was the only one who couldn't figure out what to do with all this!

First, I do toss the small strips. Too much stuff to deal with. I keep a shoe box on my table that's sorted into color groups, then white/vellum separate... I just put my extras there when I'm done for the day... I run into trouble tho when I use my Non SU CS.. I'm trying to keep that seaparate, because if I'm not sure... I just cut a new piece of CS!
Can't help you much with the little pieces tho (less than 1/4 sheet) I have to admit... I cut them into ATC size and put them in a little envelope to use for those at a later time.. otherwise I toss em! Good luck.. can't wait to read this thread with all the great tips you're gonna get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I purchased one of those 4 drawer carts on wheels. I used my handy lable maker and labled each drawer. Bold Brights, Soft Subtles, Earth Elements and Rich Regals. I throw the small scraps right into the drawers. I've tried other things and the scraps got out of control. This seems to work the best.

Shari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default scraps

Hi. I took an idea I read on this site and it works wonderfully! I put gallon size baggies in the front of each hanging file folder and put scraps into it. I used to have a folder for each color family scraps but found if I didn't see the color right away I'd get out a new piece. Now I am using all of my scraps first! I also took a small scrap of each color, wrote the color name and put it in the tab. This way I can see all the color tabs at a glance.

hth

Cal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:13 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I also use the hanging files. I just throw any scraps that I think are still usuable back in the file. It has worked great for me and the scraps are right there at my finger tips when I need them. No searching through a mixture of them. So far this has worked great because I see the scraps I have before grabbing a new sheet of cardstock. The only file that is getting a little overwhelming is the natural white one. This may have to go into its own seperate box. Hope this helps. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:14 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sometimes you just have to let go. But, most of the time, you go buy a bigger container! Scraps are gold...esp. to a demonstrator! I bought a large plastic "portable" accordian file that had a zillion slots. The problem is, it has expanded (& ripped some seams) well past closing it up & portability. So I have a gigantic plastic tub that the file can sit in & explode out into (Hey! I know my system: greens moved to the bottom of the crate, pinks are spilling on top of greens, etc.) the container, but be contained.

Actually, it's become too time consuming to dig & dig, & dig to find the perfect tiny piece of green galore CS w/o having to cut something big...so I have plans for a new system! Plus, I don't like that all the greens are lumped together, all the yellows, all the blues, etc. Too much time double checking I really do have Ballet Blue w/ my regular file that hold whole, half, & quarter sheets (in hanging files in real filing cabinet). My new system was to buy multiple, smaller, plastic, accordian files so that each color & neutral will have its own slot. I will be forced to face each & every scrap & decide if it should stay or go = good project for December, when I don't do workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Those little 1/4 inch pieces you could crimp and use for cello bag filler! emilymomof3boys did it and it looked really cute for a hostess gift she did! Just keep a baggie of crimped scraps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:35 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Default Paper Scraps

I use 5 check files (the kind with one pocket per month). I use one for each color family, and the 5th for neutrals.

I attached a little scrap of each color over the month printing, so it is easy to find what I'm looking for. This has helped me to make very good use of my scraps, and keeps them from getting ruined in file folders.

Mary Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 05:16 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hanging file box on wheels with a hanging file & a manila folder for each color. I toss the small pieces in the front of the manila folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 05:20 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Big Plastic Envelopes

I found "out of sight" "out of mind" for me. So, I put them in plastic bags in a box at my feet, just under the table at which I work. I separate them by basic colors, and when I need something I go there first.

Also to save on paper, if I make a card, I make at least 4. That way I use the 4 background pieces of colored cardstock used with one sheet of paper. I usually do that so I can have a white, vanilla, or light colored card to write on. Also, I am prone to have at least one with little mistakes while I am feeling my way. It also leaves me one for demo, one for me (with the minor errors :lol: ), and 2 for friends, etc. I usually make 8 really. :oops: I keep the one for me in binders as a reference.

I find I usually end up with lots of scraps and at some time, yes, I have to say bye-bye to some of it. I had thought to save punch leftovers for shakers, but I have found that doesn't happen. I still save them just cuz. Ha!

I will be following to see if there are some more suggestions. The above look great!

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default storing scraps

I bought 2 plastic containers with 3 drawers in it (Walmart $4.99). I labeled the drawers with bold brights, soft subtles, earth elements, rich regals, & neutrals. I'm finding I need a new drawer with specialty paper. If it is smaller than a half piece of cardstock, then it goes in the drawer. I do find that I am going to these drawers to look for scraps so it is working for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 05:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Walmar Drawers

You have sold me on the drawers. I am going to look for them tomorrow on my way back from Weight Watchers. Thank you for sharing that tidbit. It sounds great. Now I just have to find a place for the drawers. LOL

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 05:51 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I keep my large scraps in a rubbermaid box. I store my smaller scraps (smaller than 1/2 of a 8 1/2X11" sheet) using the method below.

I keep a large rectangular basket on my work table. It has 6 transparent Craft folders in it. One folder for each family group plus one for neutrals and one for vellums and specialty papers. Works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 06:55 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I am not a demo so I don't have a huge amount of scraps to deal with but one thing I do do - if I find I need a color and have to break out a new sheet of cardstock the first thing I do is cut it in half - I then place the half in a folder I have and work with the other half...

That way when I am looking to make a card with a colored cardstock base (rather than white) I just look in my folder first - likewise if I am layering I check my folder of 1/2 pages first and if need be cut 1/2 sheet into 2. I have another folder where I keep 1/4 sheet of colors

for small scraps I actually have an extra stamp case that I throw stuff in - although I never seem to use any of it - I like a PP idea of crimping it and using it a cello filler, We have a strip shredder so maybe I will crimp it and then run it thru the shredder....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 07:50 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I throw all my scraps that are at least 2" square or so in a Kinko's paper box. When I need a small scrap I dig through the box.

This "box" was started with the intent of making gift tags. I also make my business cards to resemble tags. So about twice a year, I get together with some girlfriends and create gift tags using the scraps. It's a start in using the scraps.

The smaller scraps get tossed. I had tried saving them to do mosaic work on cards, but honestly didn't use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 08:06 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I use a photo box and made dividers using cheap white cardstock. I used a corner-rounder punch to give the dividers a different look so I could distinguish them better. I printed labels on the computer and affixed them to the dividers. I keep this near me when I'm stamping so I can grab a scrap when I need it without getting up. Anything 1/4 of a sheet or less goes into this.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am using those expandable file folders (like accordian files without the dividers). I am recycling some used ones from my previous employer. I throw all scraps into these. Folders are labeled with a sample of each and every SU cardstock color. That way I will be able to find just the color I am looking for as I need it.

You could take all the smaller scraps and attach them forming "crazy quilt" or mosiac backgrounds for cards. Or, if you are a demo, you could place some of them into bags and give as gifts to new recruits or hostesses for them to use in layering on cards.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

I just put a ziplock in the hanging folders. Once I have a "real" craft room I'll get a rolling cart, as described!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I use the file folder on wheels that I got at Michaels but instead of
12x12 I use the letter size folders and put my paper in it, any thing
smaller than 1/2 sheet goes in a zipper baggie in the front of the
large sheets. Then when I want a certain color scrap I just put my hand
in the color and feel for a plastic bag. It seems to work the best for
me.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 07:59 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote="lweller" I also make my business cards to resemble tags. [/quote]

Sounds adorable do you have pics? What a great idea. My dad is a carpenter and his business cards are printed on paper that looks like wood. It's really eyecatching and it sticks out in people's minds.

I love all these ideas about scraps. It's not like CS is expensive but the Celt in me won't allow me to toss even the teeniest bits. Sad...

Katy C.

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 08:45 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! This is amazing! I thought almost everyone did what I do! (The diversity here shows how creative we all are!) I have a "Book of Colors." It's a 3-ring binder with plastic sheet protectors in it and 5 dividers. There's a divider for each of the 4 color families, plus one for neutrals. Each color has its own clear plastic pocket! Stands on my table where I work, and my hanging file with larger sheets sits next to me. BTW - I save EVERY SCRAP unless it's a 3/8" torn edge. If anyone doesn't save all theirs, and would like to mail me some, let me know! I'd be glad to take them off your hands! :lol:

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I've seen several cute cards lately done with quilling - I normally throw away those tiny strips, but now I think I'm goinng to start a very small file for those strips so I can try some of the quilling techniques!

Billie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 08:56 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

I keep my CS in a rubbermaid container in hanging folders, and I put the large pieces of scraps back in the appropriate folder. For the smaller scraps, or if I'm lazy, I put them in a large basket at my feet. That is also the basket that my daughter is allowed to dig in if she wants to make a project. You should see the joy on her face when she finds a scrap with some stamped images on it. Last night she said, "Are you sure I can use this mommy? It's sooooo pretty!" She takes a glue stick, a few scraps, a punch, and can be entertained for an hour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I bought a bunch of the scrapbooking folders/large plastic envelope things, my mind isn't working right now. You can get them at Michaels, Office Depot and I believe SU has them too. I have one for each colour group and one for naturals. I put all my scraps in them and because I got the clear ones, I can see my scraps too.
I saw somewhere that you could give your mid-sized scraps to your hostesses with incentive stamps to get them started. I think that's a great idea.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

Paper salad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 09:47 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I have all of my cardstock organized by color (in file folders)/color family and my scraps for each color are in a zip lock baggie inside the file folder = ) Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 09:51 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Scrap storage

Nutnhoney....what an awesome idea...you guys are great. Last week, I was looking for storage solutions and found in the gallery a picture of one of the photo boxes used for storing ribbon....copied that idea the same night....wish I would have seen this before my lunch started...I was looking for something to do on my lunch, should have gone back to Michaels or JoAnn's to grab a couple of more photo boxes. Great idea, thanks for the picture....JULIA...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Ooh, I was using envelopes in the file with that color, but I like the baggies better! Thanks for the idea.
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #29  
Inking Addict

I put my scraps in a file folder within my hanging folders. Seems to work okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 02:35 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a hanging file for each color of paper. The hanging folders have little pockets attached to the back of the folder, and that is where I store my scraps. Do yourself a favor and don't hold on to every scrap. Keep a few small strips lying around, but after that get rid of them or you will quickly become overwhelmed. Stamping is supposed to be fun not stress you out (that is what scraps do if you have too many). Anyway that is just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

nuttnhoney - that photo box idea is great - i will be stealing your idea soon. mine are currently all jumbled up in no particular order in a basket on my stamping table - which is why i never use them. now with your system i won't waste so much.
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep a large cello bag in each file of my hanging file folders so I can keep scaps with the original paper color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just throw mine into a velco craft keeper and when I'm in a creative mood, I grab a larger scrap and create or CASE :lol: a new card using that color. I also use my scraps for journaling blocks for scrapbooking or for matting a photo.

For my smaller scraps, I use my sizzix and make lots of tags etc for door prize gifts etc. I also use punches with the scraps.

I can't spend time on scraps so I keep them all in that one craft keeper. At my monthly crops, scraps are free.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 04:27 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the rubbermaid file boxes and top loading page protectors...I fill them by color...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 04:39 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

I use pizza boxes (clean ones!) and sort by color families - pastels, jewel tones, brights, earth tones, and white/black with everything inbetween. Works well fo rme - it even holds the big pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have mine filed by color in hanging files. I keep my scraps in window envelopes in each color file. Similar to lots of other posts. I always check my scrap envelope first before I cut for a workshop. I often find pieces that are just big enough for what I need.
In answer to the question about the strips left after you trim pieces for layering. A few months ago, I did a really cute card using those pieces. I chose 2 colors that I had lots of scraps that size. Mine were pink passion and tempting turquoise. I used those scraps on solid cards of the opposite color. Then I put 2 strips down horizontal next to each other and 2 more vertical across those. My vertical strips were off to one side. Then we stamped an image and punched it out... it looked like a metal edged tag except the "edge" was a layer cut from the same color cs as the card itself. This image was mounted where the strips intersected. I presented it as a way to use scraps and my customers were really wowed by it and it was such a quick fun card.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 08:25 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Mine are all together in a plastic shoebox. All sizes but 8 1/2 X 11, all colors. I look there first (most of the time) & go through it at least once a year to get rid of pieces I wil never use. Works for me, but sounds like it wouldn't work for many of you! :lol:
Suzanne
Attached Thumbnails
How do you manage cardstock scraps??-img_0103__4_.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I use file folders and have a separate piece of

copy paper in front of my full sheets and simply insert my scraps as soon as I cut them. I use my slim 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch trimmings to crimp and use for gift bag filler. Nothing goes to waste. They also look nice in the clear cello bags with a cute topper on it. I usually crimp them when I'm ready to fill the bag so I can color coordinate the crimpings. Hope that makes sense.

Also, you can use the narrow strips mentioned above for paper "ribbon" on tags, cards and scrapbook pages.

HTH,
Cindy Lou Who
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 03:24 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Some wonderful suggestions here, I need to choose one before I am taken over by all the scraps I have. Thanks for sharing everyone. Susan you still ask the best questions. keep it up. :lol: Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 03:59 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Yo Gail!! Thanks for popping your head in here and responding to my post!! It's good to see you, my NC Stamping Sister!!

Thanks, everyone for all your awesome ideas!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes