Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we talk inks a minute?

Hi yall!
:-P
Im totally new around here, well not really. I have been lurking a few weeks. But Im finally posting!

As a new crafter, Im just starting to build my goods. As in I currently own ONE pad of BLACK ink! lol...
:oops:
HELP ME!

I dont understand the differances in the types of inks, at all...
I like making cards. And I've just starting altering things, if that makes a differance.

I went thru the Angel Company catalog the other night to make out my "wish list" and OMG! just the Palette Inks was over $300!!!! They are $6 a piece, ouch!

I did find some on ebay for $2.99 but I am really scared to buy inks (or ANYTHING that could dry out) off of ebay! Have you bought any ink on ebay? What are your thoughts on this?

Most of the tutorials I've been watching have been using the Palette ink or Distress Ink by Tim Holtz. Also $6 a pad.

Is $6 the average I need to expect for ink?
What are some good brands?
Where are the bargains? Surely I'm not the only "frugal" *yea, I'll say it CHEAP* crafter... LOL

help
help
and as my dd would say
Hay-ulp!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

A more economical alternative is "spots" or "cubes." Stampin Up offers both classic and craft inks in spots which are a lot less expensive than full-size pad. If you really like the Palette Hybrid inks you can get those in cubes from Papertrey Ink. http://papertreyink.com/

Spots are pretty easy to use with the exception of background stamps and if you find yourself reaching for a certain color more than most then you can invest in a full-size pad.

I am sure there are more places to buy spots or cubes but I don't know any off the top of my head. But this place is full of knowledge and someone will tell you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I found this link which has a glossary that is helpful (esp. for newbies):

http://www.imag-e-nation.com/a-z_of_craft.htm#I

It very briefly describes the types of ink but I know there is more detailed comparisons available. The subject comes up periodically in periodicals (I couldn't help myself) but I don't remember the specific titles/issues of the mgazines.

One essential thing to keep in mind is that the type of ink (and even how many colors) depends upon your intended purpose and style. Also, while most pads stay juicy for quite a long time, always get a refill. Your pad will last longer if it always properly inked. The corners tend to lift up when the pad begins to dry so keep it inked (an ounce of prevention LOL). I often buy 2 refills because I like to do things like dye ribbon or use high-volume rubbing alcohol and the Magic Snowflake technique (look in SCS' Resources section for a tutorial).

I'm sure others will provide more helpful info about inks but I wanted to share the glossary.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with the poster above who suggested spots. I have gotten a few of the palette in black, grey, brown and white,(Escher collection, here) and plan to order some Memento spots this weekend (also from the Addicted to Rubber Stamps website). I have found this a good way to trial different products to see if I like them. I must say I have been happy with the palette for coloring with pencils, but have picked up versafine in 3 colors for more detailed images.
Also I know that some people have had trouble with ATRS customer service, but I have felt that they have a good variety and a new sale almost every week. There are many many options out there for shopping, though. (ask me how I know!)
Welcome to this incredibly addictive hobby!
Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've bought ink on eBay - sealed pads, never had a problem. There are some lovely crafty ladies on eBay who sell at great prices and are very helpful.

The main thing with the Tim Holtz Distress inks is that even though they are a dye based ink they are formulated to stay wetter for longer so you can get embossing powder to stick to them and they have fantastic blending properties too. They also stay true to colour if you add water so you can use them to colour images with a paint brush without any nasty surprises - just squish the lid down onto the pad and you have a pool of ink in there for watercolouring.

I think the key thing is probably to start slow and keep adding to your collection. I've been stamping for about a year now and am gradually building my collection of inks. I have maybe half the Distress colours, I have around a dozen Versacraft cubes and all the Versafine colours (again, as cubes rather than full size pads). On top of that I have maybe a dozen Adirondack dye inks and a couple of black pads for different purposes (Archival Black by Ranger and Stazon Jet Black).

Ask for gifts of ink on your birthday or Christmas! Just let people know what colours you want (or what colours you have so they can fill in the missing ones). Look out for sales and special offers (I got my Versacraft at 50p per cube this way which is fabulous for the UK - they'd normally be about three times that price) and fill in that way as and when you can.

Are you happy with the difference between the basic ink types (pigment, dye based, solvent) and what you can do with them?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Are you happy with the difference between the basic ink types (pigment, dye based, solvent) and what you can do with them?
please dont think Im stupid, but I have no idea what you're asking. LOL...

I have one pad of black dye ink, brand is STAMP CRAFT. It is the only ink I have ever used. Thats why I posted this thread. I DONT KNOW.... lol..

I have stamped and colored with markers, which bled
stamped and watercolored which REALLY bled
stamped and SU Pasteled. didnt bleed but I didnt like the end result.

Someone told me to emboss (sp) the black before coloring. So I got embossing powder, but I have no CLUE what to do with it...

When I say "newbie" I REALLY mean NEW-BIE....
:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

OK, no worries!

Here's the 101, just ask if it doesn't make sense!

Pigment ink - basically sits on top of the paper. This is 'gloopy' ink that is sticky and will let you add embossing powder to it if you want to as it's quite slow drying. Mostly, pigment ink is waterproof so if you want to use watercolours then it's probably OK - check the ink pad packaging if you're not sure. If you use embossing powder, you need some way to heat it up to melt it (a heat gun is probably easiest but if you don't want to invest straight away then you can heat from the back of the paper over something like your toaster).

Dye based ink - basically soaks into the paper and stains it. Dye based dries faster than pigment. Some dye-based inks are waterproof, some are not so it's best to check the packaging if you want to be able to use them with watercolours or water-based markers. Distress inks are dye based but have some special properties.

Solvent ink (Stazon is the most common brand): sticks to slick surfaces so if you want to stamp onto glass, ceramic, acetate etc, this is what you need. It's harder to clean up than the other ink types though so maybe not the best choice for basic stamping when you're just starting out. It may also degrade some clear polymer stamps over time if it's not fully cleaned off after use so if you're using clear stamps rather than natural rubber you might want to give this some thought.

I'm afraid I don't know the brand you have (not one that I've heard of in the UK) so I can't help you figure out what it is but it sounds from your experience as if it might be a non-waterproof dye based ink.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

It completely depends on what you want to do with them. I suggest browsing the gallery and people's blogs, seeing what you like (ie using pencils, Copics, sponging, rubber or acrylic stamps etc) and reading or asking them what kind of ink they use.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
OK, no worries!

Here's the 101, just ask if it doesn't make sense!

Pigment ink - basically sits on top of the paper. This is 'gloopy' ink that is sticky and will let you add embossing powder to it if you want to as it's quite slow drying. Mostly, pigment ink is waterproof so if you want to use watercolours then it's probably OK - check the ink pad packaging if you're not sure. If you use embossing powder, you need some way to heat it up to melt it (a heat gun is probably easiest but if you don't want to invest straight away then you can heat from the back of the paper over something like your toaster).

Dye based ink - basically soaks into the paper and stains it. Dye based dries faster than pigment. Some dye-based inks are waterproof, some are not so it's best to check the packaging if you want to be able to use them with watercolours or water-based markers. Distress inks are dye based but have some special properties.

Solvent ink (Stazon is the most common brand): sticks to slick surfaces so if you want to stamp onto glass, ceramic, acetate etc, this is what you need. It's harder to clean up than the other ink types though so maybe not the best choice for basic stamping when you're just starting out. It may also degrade some clear polymer stamps over time if it's not fully cleaned off after use so if you're using clear stamps rather than natural rubber you might want to give this some thought.

I'm afraid I don't know the brand you have (not one that I've heard of in the UK) so I can't help you figure out what it is but it sounds from your experience as if it might be a non-waterproof dye based ink.
So, I love painting, and like to use my markers, I should look for Pigment Inks, yes?

Will a hair dryer work to do the embossing powder?
Embossing will keep any ink from bleeding, right? or no?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #10  
Linking Queen

I found another helpful website:

http://netnet.net/~cloud9/newbie/nc_inks.html

And I am sure the more time you spend in the resources and galleries here on SCS you will learn more than you ever imagined!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyCatesView Post
So, I love painting, and like to use my markers, I should look for Pigment Inks, yes?

OK, look for an ink that says it's waterproof - either pigment or dye-based should be fine. Range Archival Jet Black is dye-based but is a good all round ink that is waterproof. Brilliance Graphite Black is pigment ink and I've never had it run either.

A hair dryer will blow too much air on your project and will most likely blast off most of your powder before it gets chance to melt. Embossing powder won't stick to a dye-based ink so the answer is yes-and-no - embossing will stop any ink from bleeding as long as it's an ink the powder can stick to (which typically means pigment but could be Distress, as discussed earlier).

Making sense?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Well I use the Basic Black pad from Stampin Up! to stamp an image and then color in. It is waterproof, but quick drying.

I'm not sure why you don't want to go the SU! route. Some of my friends have had great luck with VersaFine.

HTH

Stamping my scrapbook pages away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Pigment inks used with water-based markers typically require being thermal embossed (sealed), or heat-set, prior to applying water-based mediums, to avoid bleeding. :grin:

Quote:

A hair dryer will do a great job of blowing all the EP off your project, and will never be hot enough to melt the powder.

A heat gun is the proper tool because it often exceeds temps of 300 degrees, and the airflow is much lower.

You can also hold your project over a heat source that gets that high, but be careful to hold it with tongs, and you do risk bits of EP drifting down onto the heat sources and melting on it (like a toaster, or stove burner). I don't generally recommend this method of thermal embossing for these reasons . . .

Quote:

Yes; it's basically a plastic coating that seals the ink to the paper. It results in a raised and oftentimes glossy effect, typical of what you see on store-bought cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I haven't seen the SU! Basic Black ink but I hear a lot of people don't like it because it has a purple tinge to it rather than being a true black.

What you're most likely learning from this Bunny is that everyone has their favourites and everyone is different!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

thats what I was hoping for!
lol..
variety is good, but I was sitting here just me and my Wal-Mart craft clerk who I'm sure is now running and hiding when she sees me coming.
REALLY- she ducked in the back today when she saw me, so... I WAITED in the tire section until she came back out...
GOTCHA!
LOL
:mrgreen:

Hey, maybe I should have registered as Stealthy Stamper..
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's another link that may help, Bunny:

http://members.tripod.com/articusstudio-ivil/id187.html

It gives descriptions by brand, and explains the type, and use.

HTH,

And, yeah, AngelNorth is right-- *everybody* has their own preferences when it comes to ink! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

its funny because the thought of buying colored ink never crossed my mind. I have black in and smattering of stamps... but a friend rak'd me some Butterflys from , umm let me look...
Inkadinkado
that if I stamp with black, I will have black butterflys...
so now I really want some colored ink.
*sigh*
MOST of the stamps I tend to pick for myself though are ones I can color in myself. I like those best I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

HTH,

And, yeah, AngelNorth is right-- *everybody* has their own preferences when it comes to ink! ;)
oo great link, TYTYTYTYTY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I really recommend finding a local craft store that has classes in rubber stamping. I'm a 'hands on' person, rather than one who wants to read how to do something. I need visual! You may have to pay for the class, but you get to make things using their supplies and tools...and once you see how easy it is, it makes it less intimidating. Then you can always practice more at home once you have purchased some basic tools. And for ink, take advantage of store coupons from Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #20  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

HTH,

That's a great link - more recently updated and has lots of products to look at too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by virpagsView Post
I really recommend finding a local craft store that has classes in rubber stamping. I'm a 'hands on' person, rather than one who wants to read how to do something. I need visual! You may have to pay for the class, but you get to make things using their supplies and tools...and once you see how easy it is, it makes it less intimidating. Then you can always practice more at home once you have purchased some basic tools. And for ink, take advantage of store coupons from Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, etc.
That's what I was going to suggest. If you don't have a local store that's close, I would recommend that you go to Stampin' Up's Website and find a demonstrator near you. Here's the link to the demo finder: http://www.stampinup.com/WebApps/Dem...eng&country=US

With either option, hopefully you'll find someone that will let you try things, learn new techniques, and have those things available to purchase. That way you'll have access to better quality supplies than those at WalMart. And you won't have to stalk the lady! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by virpagsView Post
by the time I paid for a tank of gas to get there, the coupon wouldnt be worth it unless I really stocked up. Maybe someday, they will open a craft store here. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
That way you'll have access to better quality supplies than those at WalMart. And you won't have to stalk the lady! LOL
mmm..
I think deep down inside she really likes it. It makes her feel special...:-P
roflmbo...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

mmm..
I think deep down inside she really likes it. It makes her feel special...:-P
roflmbo...
LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

a million years ago when I first learned to heat emboss we used blow dryers but heated from underneath the paper....it worked just fine!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just discovered fluid chalk inks....i am in love !! i got one in the bargain bin at my local hobby lobby.....and i have used coupons to get others....

i also recommend a LSS class.....i dont know about stampin up demonstrators....do they give one on one attention to newbies? that would be fantastic if you found one who does that.....

also just reading threads here....i have learned tons by doing that and by asking questions.....

it's lots of fun, so enjoy the ride !

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Here are my suggestions. Sine you are trying to color your images, I think you should go with the Versafine Onyx Black or any of the other Versafine colors you would use for the outlines. I have not had this bleed under any conditions, and it's the best stuff for really detailed images.
If you want the Palette or Distress Inks, I recommend Cornish Heritage Farms. They have the best prices I've found for these two brands. If you want a lot of colors, go with the cube sizes as many have suggested.
Another option for many colors of quality inks are the Clearsnap Colorbox products.
I think it would be best for you to decide what brand of cardstock you will use most, and pick you ink based on that. If you are going to use mostly papers purchased from TAC, the ink colors they have in their catalog will be the best choice (I don't know if TAC has exclusive colors of Palette inkpads, or if they sell the same colors as other stores). If you like SU cardstock, then you should buy SU inks so things will match your paper.

I think picking one brand at the beginning is the easiest way to start. Once you've got some practice, and a better idea of techniques you like doing, you can branch out to other brands.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Im sure for cardstock, it will be whatever is on-sale at Wal-Mart. I'm a SAHM on very limited budget. So if it doesnt say SALE or CLEARANCE, I really cant make myself buy it. Sad, but true. LOL... I had no idea paper brand would have any effect on the stamp results. 80lb cardstock is 80lb cardstock, RIGHT? Or do I need to start worrying about having the right papers too? :confused:
you guys are scaring me. LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Some paper brands have matching inks to go with the paper colors so it makes it easy to match up. There are some good papers you can get a Walmart, and if you use theirs, I think Colorbox inks have the best color variety to match those.
My favorite paper at Walmart is the Georgia Pacific 110lb white cardstock found in the office isle where printer paper reams are. It works well for stamping and coloring with many mediums, and is a good weight cardstock for cardbases. It's less than 6 dollars for 250 sheets.
By the way, paper weight is a very complicated and annoying subject. 80lb does not translate to the same weight in different brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrampShopperView Post
By the way, paper weight is a very complicated and annoying subject. 80lb does not translate to the same weight in different brands.
:eek:

I like $6 for LOTS of papers..
I dont like MORE CONFUSION...
You mean I didnt have to pay $8 for a 20 pack of white cardstock?
That makes me mad at the lady in the craft department! LOL...

I never even thought to look up in the stationery department!
Funny since I compared some prices of tools to similar tools over in the TOOLS... I am starting to think if it says Scrapbooking on it, they immediately tack on $2-3 !!!!

Thanks for the tip on the paper! Will check it out next trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Welcome to the world of stamping! If you choose to purchase Stampin' Up! inks, my suggestion would be to start with the Stampin' Spots. You can choose a color family (Bold Brights, Earth Elements, Rich Regals or Soft Subtles) and you'll get all 12 colors in the 'family.' Then if you like a particular color, you can buy the regular size ink pad in that color. And, better yet, if you locate a demonstrator near you and schedule a stamping party you could even use your hostess credit to get free ink pads in your choice of color!

FYI: I like to use classic inks on my cards and craft ink on my scrapbook pages as they are more 'vibrant in color.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I forgot to mention that in addition to the ink cubes for collecting a lot of colors, you can also use waterbased markers. the markers can be used to directly color on the rubber, then you huff on it and stamp. The best markers for this purpose are the kind that have a brush-like tip for easy coloring on the stamp itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

I quiuckly have scrolled through the conversation on inks and how it expanded from there.

You kind of sound like me when I started stamping. I knew a lot of people who were into stamping and went to some workshops (DOTS now known as Close to My Heart and a long time later Stampin Up). I started on a limited budget too.

From personal experience I would really recommend finding a Stampin Up demonstrator (I'm not one by the way). Before Stampin Up came into my life I bought paper here and there. We used to have a craft store in my area where I could get card stock for making cards and such 8 sheets for $1 and when it was on sale more than that for $1. The store has long ago closed.

Buying card stock like that ended up posing a problem though. The colors didn't always coordinate well. Sometimes the colors downright clashed. I used to think pink would go with pink right? WRONG!!!!!!!!

I went to a Stampin Up workshop and yes the demonstrator or people at the workshop will explain things to you and help you find the right product for what you want to do.

At first I only bought stamps. (By then I had a collection of inks and colored card stock.) I am totally sold on SU because the colors coordinate so well with each other. The SU colors are available in dye ink and "craft" ink (can be embossed), pens (dual tipped for coloring stamp images and for writing on your card so it matches the colors you used),
8 1/2 X 11 and 12 X 12 card stock, as well the ribbon they offer.

When you go to a Stampin Up workshop you don't have to purchase anything. The demonstrator would be pleased if you did and so would the hostess, however you are not required to make any purchases. Many demonstrators offer classes in their homes such as Stamp a Stack where you pay a fee and only need to bring your adhesive (have a refill with you just in case) she has all of the other supplies. Everything is cut all you have to do is stamp, maybe color, and assemble. They often offer other stamping opporutnities which you can choose to participate in.

The really cool thing about stamping is you can start off like you and I have done with a black ink pad and line art images (the kind you color in). Eventually you'll want to move beyond that and create more sophisticated cards. You can build up your supplies over time. The stamps you buy will last for years and years. The inks pads will too if you care for them properly. The only thing you'll have to replace is the card stock.

Don't feel like you have to have everything now (although I often feel that way). With stamping you can add a little bit as you go.

I started out buying some stamps some ink and some paper. Now I have branched out into purchasing punches, ribbon, and more colors of card stock. Take it one step at a time. There are a lot of materials out there on the market and it all depends on what your tastes are and what you like to do.

Not only have I branched out in the kinds of supplies I purchase but I have a fascination with making accordian books, I would like a bind it all machine to make my own journals, scrapbooks, etc. But that will have to wait.

By the way there is a lot of information out there on the web to help you out. You Tube has quite a few tutorials concerning rubber stamping.

If you take the time to browse splitcoast stampers take the time to click on some of the blogs. There are a lot of stamping bloggers out there who have tutorials on their websites, some of them are video tutorials. One of my favorite sites with video tutorials is http://dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad.com

Hope this helps and have fun stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

Default Inexpensive Craft Items

No one has mentioned looking in the Target Dollar Spot (where today I found Fall multi-ribbon spools for $1), packs of 50 silk leaves and garlands in autumn colors for $1 each and saw a tiny wood block mounted alphabet for $1. These are great items to start with until you can afford the more expensive craft items. Also, the Dollar stores (particularly Dollar Tree) have lots of $1 craft items and alterable items, as well as small packs of colored papers, tape, and other things. Good luck getting started. I know you asked about inks but you will need lots of other embellishments once you get going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Because of your limited budget...if you have a dollor store, Big Lots or Tuesday morning, they often have great deals on stamping items. I just found two McGill punches for $4 each at Big Lots and they had a great deal on elements for $4...and our dollor store recently had pop dots for $1(two pages 6x8").
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by flstamper2View Post
Some of my friends have had great luck with VersaFine.

HTH
I have to tell you that VersaFine black ROCKS! (That's me shouting in excitement caps, not screaming, btw). It was the first non-SU ink I ever got and it ROCKS (did I mention that already?). Beautiful crisp images, good feel to the inking-up, works well on clear and rubber stamps....ahhhhh.

I do love the matchy-matchy of SU inks, CS, etc. But I'm no longer loving their stamp pads. They're OK, mind you, just not my first choice. The hybrid inks are cool too. Papertrey has matchy-matchy hybrid ink, CS, and ribbon; that's my current fave for coordination. Probably some others have that too?

JMHO,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

I agree with finding a SU demonstrator that gives workshops. You will be able to get hands on experience and lots of practical advice, it then becomes much eaiser to branch out and try new things. I do a lot of shopping on ebay for craft supplies. There are many people who operate full stores there. What I really like is that you can buy small quantities of things such as 1 yard each of SU ribbons or a variety of precut card stock and decorative papers. It enables you to try things out without spending a ton of money. Just make sure that the seller has a good feedback record (happy customers!) Splitcoast stampers has become an addiction for me. I need my "fix" everyday! You can learn ANYTHING you'll ever need from all the wonderful talented people who are on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ink pads

Just an FYI from a unhappy SU customer. I started out buying my full size ink pads from SU and they are all sagging in the middle of the pad, so I wouldn't recommend that route. SU wouldn't replace them after 90 days of receiving the order. Some of them had only been used one time so it was a very costly mistake. (Search the forums here for other customers that are complaining about the same problem with their SU ink pads.)

If I were just starting out on a limited budget, I would get the Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart, a Black Versafine ink pad (which is fabulous) and a set of markers when they were on sale at the craft store. I have Leplumes which were 50% off and work fine for coloring.

HTH,

Deloris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

just posted today!!!

http://www.craftcritique.com/2008/09...ink-tests
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #40  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

May have been covered in other replies (sorry, didn't read them all) but check out the PDF in post #6 of this thread for a characteristics of different inks. It is a little old (won't have the new memento ink on it) but it still has a ton of good info on different types of inks, what they work/don't work on, etc.

Sadly The RubberStamper, which originally published this chart, is no more. Maybe someone could suggest that Crafts'NThings (the bought out The RubberStamper) create an updated version and include it in a future release.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes