Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default When you were a teenager

My questions are inspired by this Skull and Crossbones thread:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I was wondering what else teenagers might like besides/in addition to skulls and crossbones, and I was wondering what styles/fashions YOU liked (not necessarily card-related, if you weren't stamping yet back then) when you were a teenager. Did you like whatever the trend was back then?

I liked the same things I like now: vintage, Victorian, Baroque, antiqued, distressed, busy styles (yeah, I was born a fuddy duddy), detailed realistic images nicely coloured.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can think of was wearing bell bottom pants. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Bell bottoms, hip huggers, everything was embroidered, and Levi's corduroys were all the rage!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

When I was a teen, I just wanted a cloak of invisibility! I did NOT want to stand out in anyway. I wanted nothing more than to be a face in the crowd.

So, I guess I wore jeans, white button up shirts (remember Brooke Shield's and the Calvin Klein ads?) I NEVER wore dresses, and tried without much success not to fall out of my blouse. I learned the hard way why busty girls shouldn't wear tube tops.

I think now a days teens want just what I wanted, to be "like" everyone else. Unfortunately, this means they ignore common sense when falling fashion trends. I can't stand to see girls wear low rise jeans with shirts tucked in and that muffin top thing happening. It makes them look so fat, when they aren't! Unless you have 0% body fat, that fashion do is a DON'T.

C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a product of the 80's all the way!! We were into new wave and punk music so I wore lots of parachute pants, tops with animal print with lots of zippers all over, fingerless gloves, safety pins in my ears, Duran Duran haircut and even some Madonna inspired stuff.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

Our fashion attire were those crochet looking high shoes with socks. We wore those with our famous Dittos pants. They look like the saddle pants and yes they were bell bottoms.

Funny thing is about the shoes, the style came back. When my kids and I are shopping, I show them and let them know that was the style I had growing up. I wouldn't be able to wear them today though.

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Another 80s child here. I remember Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, penny loafers, lots of pink and green, anything with a horse on the pocket, grosgrain ribbon belts, big silver hoop earrings, big hair, rolled up short sleeves and a never ending array of those "sports sac" purses. Whew... am I glad that phase is over!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hello Kitty, & Care Bears. I was a nut for all things Hello Kitty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I was a 60's girl. Hip Hugger skirts, Poor Boy sweaters, Penny loafers, Mini Skirts, Daisys, Granny glasses and granny dresses MAXI coats Sassoon Hair cut Jr HI
"Cranberry and wheat" cranberry sweat shirt "wheat " colored straight leg jeans, Madras plaids (JR HI). I graduated in 70' then it was on to the HIPPIE looks Hip hugger bell bottoms, tight pucker body suit tops. wide leather belts
"hand made" leather purse with flowers "tooled' into the leather. LONG straight
hair. I loved mushrooms flowers my 72 Ford Pinto!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I just finished my teens (I'm 20). But, I think I can still add something to this thread. I am into peace signs, quotes, high waisted skirts, flip flops, funky glasses and uggs.

I'm personally not into Skull and Cross Bones, but I'm sure some people are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Late 50's, early 60's for me. I lived on Cape Cod during my junior high years, and it was all Bermuda shorts, Peter Pan collars, and Madras plaid...very 'preppy'!
When I moved to the suburbs of Boston for high school, things were still pretty traditional...shirt dresses, plaid wool skirts, brightly colored lamb's wool sweater sets.
After high school the styles turned 'Hippy'...lots of embroidery, hip-hugger bell-bottoms, wild prints in bright colors, pocketbooks and ponchos made of granny squares, wide belts, chunky costume jewelry!
I was very thin and always a clothes horse, so my wardrobe was always a top priority. Not so much now that I'm a fat old lady....it all goes to my stamping obsession! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmm....this is fun!
I'm another one from the 70s. I graduated HS in 74. We not only wore bellbottoms, but pants were better if they dragged on the floor. So, we bought fabric with a print on it, and sewed about a two inch length around the bottom of our pants. I can remember doing it with both jeans and courdoroys. I also remember buying peace sign patches to sew on my jeans. In fact peace sign earrings, necklaces, anything, were big. I also remember the flowers tooled onto the thick leather bracelets and belts. I remember "sizzler" outfits, which were a short one piece top and skirt, but then there were matching panties so it was okay to bend over in them.
I remember the very low rise Peanuts pants that you wore a ribbed bodysuit that snapped in the crotch just like the onsies for babies. I don't think anyone has mentioned hot pants. They were very very short shorts. The best were the Peter Max hot pants. I had a pair of those. Each piece of the pattern was a different color, and there were four different colored pockets!

I remember embroidering things on my jeans and shirts.

In junior high, we had to wear a skirt or dress every day, and I remember the day that there was a test week to see if girls might be able to wear pants. (This was public school.) My girlfriends and I called each other each day to see if we were going to be brave enough to wear pants the next day.

In college, I remember the platform shoes (which I fell off of at a dance and sprained my ankle).

There's more, but I'll stop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Late 80's Early 90's I wasn't much into fashion, but I do remember always having to match my shirt to my socks and "pegging" my pants. I also wore gigantic sweaters and stretch pants in jounior high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I an 17 year old and i like fancy flourish designs on black and white for instance xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I was SO an 80s girl...preppy all the way! I've have to say I still like that style (in its updated version) in my clothes and my stamping style!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Hmm....this is fun!
I'm another one from the 70s.

I also remember buying peace sign patches to sew on my jeans. In fact peace sign earrings, necklaces, anything, were big. I also remember the flowers tooled onto the thick leather bracelets and belts. I remember "sizzler" outfits, which were a short one piece top and skirt, but then there were matching panties so it was okay to bend over in them.
I remember the very low rise Peanuts pants that you wore a ribbed bodysuit that snapped in the crotch just like the onsies for babies. I don't think anyone has mentioned hot pants. They were very very short shorts.

In junior high, we had to wear a skirt or dress every day, and I remember the day that there was a test week to see if girls might be able to wear pants.
You have a good memory and you surely jogged mine!

Never sewed the fabric onto my pants - we couldn't wear pants until my junior year ('72) and then it had to be pantsuits.

I remember embroidering vines with leaves down the front placket of a workshirt in college ... ah, the good ole days before ...

GeryB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Growing up in the 60's, in California, as a teen I just wanted to look like a surfer girl. Cut off jeans, striped tee shirts and sandals. It was all about the long blonde hair for me, parted down the middle, straight & shiny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went to high school in the late 60's but it was a girl's private school, so we stayed "preppy". Cable knit sweaters with matching heathered wool skirts or plais kilts with kilt pins (I still have my pin!), knee socks and Weejun loafers, John Romaine handbags or Bermuda bags (and I still have those, with all the covers!).

I just realized that *that* style is probably why my papercrafting style is what it is! I like clean and simple, good strong colors but not a lot of bling, not much embellishment. How's that for a moment of self-revelation? :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Psychedelic, Flower Power, lots of patches on our jeans! Red, white & blue... at least around 1976!

Anyone remember embroidering on chambray workshirts? My whole family (all the girls) wore them and made them. Something embroidered above each pocket and near the tails on front.... then usually something bigger on the back. Wow were they popular! I had all older sisters and the oldest embroidered on everything. All of my hand-me-downs had artwork on them.

I also remember one year wanting clothes from the Christmas catalog in orange, yellow, green, and brown... must have been around the time of the Lesley Anne Warren "Cinderella" movie! I figured that out when I watched it with my daughter a couple of months ago LOL!!

And Lynnewithane brought back the name I couldn't think of ~ "sizzlers" -- my sister made me those. And yes, bodysuit tops. And maxi coats and dresses - all the way down to the floor. Dresses in calico prints and coats with that wide braid trim. And those weird fabric tops with the zig-zags, almost like flames. Anyone else remember those? Those were the teen years.

The younger years were Madras shorts for sure. Little matching top and short sets my Mom made. And baby doll pajamas. Oh my - I loved my pajamas!!

Weird - I've seen some of this come back! Never thought I'd see the day. Ahh.... nostalgia.... Thank you, Sophie!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I was a goth in my younger days so everything was black - hair, clothes, bedroom, underwear and make up. (My mother actually thought I might commit suicide at one point because of the music I was listening to at the time - Sisters of Mercy predominantly!). Even now I still wear more black than anything else but I do add a bit of white and pink to lighten it up a bit. My hair is now blonde (dyed still though) rather than black and the facial piercings have had to be removed as I'm a teacher, but I still listen to the same kind of heavy metal/rock. Most of my cards tend to be pink/purple though as not many people I know would want a black gothic inspired card!

I used to wear striped tights (a bit like you'd color on a witch stamp) and coloured tights with black fishnets over the top. My fave accessory though was a pair of elbow length black satin gloves with jewellery worn over the top. I know it was weird back then but I loved it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

when i was a youngun, i walked both ways to school bare footed for 12 miles (carrying the bus mind you) and my lunch was in a pail with a checkered cloth. we wrote on slates with chalk in one room classrooms... oh yeah we had dinosaurs too... at least this is what i tell my kids,
iactually looked like a replica of THAT 70'S SHOW.
flippy hair, bell bottoms, peace signs on our belts, guys had long hair, and people with tatoos were gangsta's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Hmm....this is fun!
I'm another one from the 70s. I graduated HS in 74. We not only wore bellbottoms, but pants were better if they dragged on the floor. So, we bought fabric with a print on it, and sewed about a two inch length around the bottom of our pants. I can remember doing it with both jeans and courdoroys. I also remember buying peace sign patches to sew on my jeans. In fact peace sign earrings, necklaces, anything, were big. I also remember the flowers tooled onto the thick leather bracelets and belts. I remember "sizzler" outfits, which were a short one piece top and skirt, but then there were matching panties so it was okay to bend over in them.
I remember the very low rise Peanuts pants that you wore a ribbed bodysuit that snapped in the crotch just like the onsies for babies. I don't think anyone has mentioned hot pants. They were very very short shorts. The best were the Peter Max hot pants. I had a pair of those. Each piece of the pattern was a different color, and there were four different colored pockets!

In junior high, we had to wear a skirt or dress every day, and I remember the day that there was a test week to see if girls might be able to wear pants. (This was public school.) My girlfriends and I called each other each day to see if we were going to be brave enough to wear pants the next day.

In college, I remember the platform shoes (which I fell off of at a dance and sprained my ankle).

There's more, but I'll stop.
I had three of those, in different colors. The snaps broke on one and I started using a safety pin to keep it closed. I was riding my bike to a friend's house and the pin popped. YOWSA!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheelessView Post
. . . I can't stand to see girls wear low rise jeans with shirts tucked in and that muffin top thing happening. It makes them look so fat, when they aren't! Unless you have 0% body fat, that fashion do is a DON'T.

C
Ugh, me, too. But, I actually find the muffin top thing even more visually unattractive when some wear shirts that expose their mid-section . . . ack! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was a teenager???????? Can't remember that far back!!!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm. When I was a teenager...

I wanted to look like everybody else, but didn't have much opportunity to do so. My Mom made a lot of my clothes, and believe me, they weren't exactly stylin'! When my more fashion conscious cousins gave me hand me downs, I thought I was in heaven. I still like hand me downs, they can be treasures!

So what did I want-- pants wide enough at the bottom to completely go over the 'clunky' shoes I was lucky enough to have. A platform on that shoe.

I graduated in 1982 and by then I had a part time job so I was able to get some of my own things-- a plum corduroy blazer that was oh so attractive, and a pair of burgundy leather-ish boots that didn't quite match.

Thanks for the memories!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I was a teen in early 90's. I wore basic jeans and t-shirts then, and I still do now. I've always liked funny tees. I never have followed many of the trends.

That being said, my stamping style is different. I love glitter and bling, but I would NEVER wear clothes like that.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

*laughing* Well, I am enjoying reading all the responses! (except for the one about the safety pin unsnapping in the crotch *cringe* ouch ouch)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #28  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
My questions are inspired by this Skull and Crossbones thread:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I was wondering what else teenagers might like besides/in addition to skulls and crossbones, and I was wondering what styles/fashions YOU liked (not necessarily card-related, if you weren't stamping yet back then) when you were a teenager. Did you like whatever the trend was back then?

I liked the same things I like now: vintage, Victorian, Baroque, antiqued, distressed, busy styles (yeah, I was born a fuddy duddy), detailed realistic images nicely coloured.
I have a 16 year-old daughter and she has an opinion on what stamps are in and what ones are out. In (to her) are skulls and crossbones but they are in on everything and she is a very preppy girl so they are in with everyone, sorry, back to stamps...she loves stars, Hawaiian flowery stamps, swirly stamps, her favorite stamp ever made is the one from Unity called Eco Chic, and she would love me to find and buy some peace sign stamps.

When I was a teen I loved fashion and shopping just as much as I do now. I loved preppy stuff and still do, I loved big hair and that has changed, lol
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
...... she would love me to find and buy some peace sign stamps. .......
I have a small Peace Sign stamp that I'll send to you.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I grew up in the 70's and 80's. One thing that I remember being a HUGE fad (very similar to the skull/cross bones these days) were rainbows. Rainbows and more rainbows... every where and on every thing! My very favorite shirt was a 3/4 sleeve shirt with a rainbow that started over on one sleeve and arched all the way across to the other sleeve, where the ROYGBV colors broke up into little shapes... on my shirt, the colors broke up into hearts. And I even had rainbow shoelaces that matched! LOL :mrgreen:

Anyone else remember those shirts? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #31  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
I have a small Peace Sign stamp that I'll send to you.
Oh my gosh, she would be so excited!!

Thanks;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post
I grew up in the 70's and 80's. One thing that I remember being a HUGE fad (very similar to the skull/cross bones these days) were rainbows. Rainbows and more rainbows... every where and on every thing! My very favorite shirt was a 3/4 sleeve shirt with a rainbow that started over on one sleeve and arched all the way across to the other sleeve, where the ROYGBV colors broke up into little shapes... on my shirt, the colors broke up into hearts. And I even had rainbow shoelaces that matched! LOL :mrgreen:

I remember those! I had the rainbow sheets that arched at the pillows and made a complete rainbow.

I totally had parachute pants and loads of neon colored clothes. I had jelly shoes and the jelly bracelets. I had so many bracelets they went up about 6" on my arm!

Then as I got older (high school) I was into big hair bands. I had jeans with holes cut in them and wore a concert Tshirt EVERYDAY! Boy was I feminine!

Then in college I went goth, with a little grunge mixed in. Now I am just an old mom, with the total housewife look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Mid 80's here. I'm having a tough time remembering, but I know I always wore a lot of pink. I remember I had a lot of polo shirts, argyle shirts, Levi 501 jeans were IT back then, neon colored sweatshirts, and long dangly earrings. Another thing I remember being very popular my senior year were sweater vests, I had at least three of them. I dressed very preppy in high school, and I think I still do, I own at least 4 polo shirts now.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post

As a little girl (early 80s), I had a rainbow shirt. Each color was represented by a ribbon that attached on each end of the front of the shirt. Man, I loved that ribbon rainbow. Maybe that's why ribbon is now my favorite embellishment? :mrgreen:

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Late 50's early 60's here...
Just at the end of the felt poodle skirts. Plaid kilt-style skirts came in and I felt lucky to get a reversible one for Christmas- one side was greener, the other had a heathery-lavender tone. Matching sweater-cardigans were popular. We weren't allowed to wear slacks to school until I was in about grade eight. Pedal pushers and then capri pants were a big thing. Then mini skirts hit it big. I was one of those goofy ones who would fake it by rolling the waist over... and I got hauled in by the vice-principal and told to roll it down a notch...how embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

The rainbow shirts!! I had forgotten about those! I had rainbow toe socks too! We used to roll up our jeans so they'd show. HA!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Wow... this thread is taking me back. Anyone else remember leg warmers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Received 208 Likes on 118 Posts

Product of the 60s here. 8th grade was white pleated skirt, pink cashmere sweater set with white pearlized buttons and a little flourish embroidered on the button down sweater; white buck shoes with rolled down bobby sox!

At some point in high school it was tight skirt with white blouse, garter belt or girdle to hold the nylons up; black flats; penny loafers. plaid was big; skorts made the scene at some point.

Then my *wild years* in late 60s into the 70s...midrif top with hip huggers; no bra, flip flops, peace signs on everything; headband; asymetrical hair cut; short, short skirts; denim overalls, hair in braids.

What a blast from the past!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

If something was ever in style it will be in style again at some point. When i was in high school ripped and holey jeans were in style and guess what they are again. I almost died when my son come in the house with a pair of pants with holes he created.

It wasn't in my years but the brady bunch type stuff was in style again a couple years ago i remember going to the mall and ucking at all the colors and bright patterns. I figure again if you keep it long enough it will be back in at some point haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Champion sweatshirts in every color were the thing in my late teans...in the earlier teens, it was parachute pants/flashdance shirts/gold headband thing on my forehead....all of which I will don for a themed party in 3 weeks. ;)