Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altered Dominoes Techniques

I am determined to make magnets, keychains, jewelry with altered dominoes. I've been to the gallery and see many wonderful samples. Here are my questions:

Do you use a Dremel drill to put in holes for a wire/chain?

What about the domino back? Am I seeing "dominoes" that are blank made for crafts, or are these just real domino game pieces ~ and if so, do you just leave the dots as they are on the back for a keychain, necklace, or pin?

How do you attach a pin backing?

Has anyone used two dominoes attached back-to-back (as a means of decorating both sides and eliminating the dots) and if so what do you use to adhere them together?

Thanks in advance ~ I'd love any tips the pros might have ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done a few dominoes - just did the plain side and left the dot side as is. I made necklaces so I just drilled a hole through the thin side from front to back (hope that makes sense). I think it would be harder to drill from top to bottom, but I've seen it done.

If you don't like the dots showing you could probably try filling them in (like with crystal effects) and then painting that side.

One other tip is I soaked my dominoes in a clorox solution overnight before I worked on them to "rough" up the surface so that paints/inks adhere to them.

It's a lot of fun - be sure and post your results. I gave mine away before I took pictures of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made ornaments one year for Christmas for nieces/nephews. User regular dominoes you purchase in any store. I left the back as is but printed the year and my their name on the back with a sharpie. One little treat for them - I used a domino for each where the dots added up to their age that year. They loved it!
My husband drilled a hole in the center top. I marked it for him & had him drill it about 1/4" deep. Stinky stinky & they get hot during the drilling because of the hard material & the pressure he had to put on the drill. He put the domino between 2 pieces of felt so when he tightened the vise on it, the domino wasn't scratched. The hole gave me a great place to glue in a wirewrapped loop for hanging. Glued ribbon around the side edges with tails long enough to do a bow on the top. If you want to glue 2 back-to-back I would recommend using either E6000 adhesive or the super sticky Terrifically Tacky Tape.

Another hint & what worked for me - Staz-on to stamp the image. I tried having the domino on the work surface & stamp down onto the domino but it slipped on my every time. So then I reversed this - inked up the stamp & put it stamp surface up on & then carefully with just enough pressure placed the domino on the stamp. I felt it gave me better control & I could see exactly the part of the stamp image was going onto the domino. If it smudges just clean the domino off immediately & try again (this will work maybe 2 times before I couldn't get all of it off). BUT depending on what you're doing, it may not matter. I colored in the image with sharpie markers. Did assembly line fashion - drilled holes, stamped image, colored in, glued in loop, added the ribbon, names/date printed on back.
Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I made 50 key chains a few years back for christmas gifts to co-workers. To drill the holes I used a power drill. I happen to have a Black and Decker but I would guess Dremel would be a fine choice. I used a very small drill bit, size 1/16 and it was a titanium drill bit. I used a vice grip to hold the domino while I drilled the hole.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check out this blog:

http://inkstainswithroni.blogspot.com/

Lots of good advice on working with dominoes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! Great blog! I haven't done dominoes in years, have to try that again!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I've used a power drill also, the hardest part is getting the domino to stay still
I like to stamp with Staz-On ink and color in with Sharpie markers and then seal them with a dimensional adhesive.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a tutorial on my blog for domino magnets
http://ilinacrouse.blogspot.com/2008...-tutorial.html

for pins, you can glue pin instead of magnet.
I use regular dominos, haven't seen special ones for crafts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks to all of you for your answers! I have a nice little shopping list for some of the items that I don't have and I'm so excited to get started.

I actually couldn't wait to experiment so last night I sanded a few dominoes and used a drop of reinkers and with a plastic glove to add some background color. I used my heat gun to speed up the drying and then stamped with Stazon. I sprayed with Clear Coat sealer.

It was so stinkin' fun!! I can't wait to make a bunch of these. One of my sisters has possession of my Tim Holtz alcohol ink supplies so I'm anxious to get those and try them on dominoes, too.

I love the Christmas ornament idea for my daughter's friends - and adding the dots up to their age... how cute is that?! She's only 7 but thank goodness she knows how old *everyone* is!!

And jewelry.... and magnets... picture frames... and I'd love to try making a mosaic of them on a ceramic tile to make trivets. Maybe on a cork sheet? Has anyone tried adhering dominoes to either of these items?

You all are the best ~ I'll upload anything I make. My family used to play dominoes ALL the time, too, so they will love gifts made with them... and we're all older so pretty much handmade is the way to go these days.

Thanks a gazillion ... I'll be here, if anyone has more ideas :^) !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have access to a drill press, use that. It's much easier to have control over what you're doing. However, a caution, drill the hole slowly. Go to quickly, and the domino may crack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Trouble finding dominoes

I looked this week-end at Wal-Mart and Target. The dominoes that they carry all appear to have raised dots. I don't think they will work for magnets. I'm looking for ideas where I can buy the old-type with recessed dots. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannaView Post
I looked this week-end at Wal-Mart and Target. The dominoes that they carry all appear to have raised dots. I don't think they will work for magnets. I'm looking for ideas where I can buy the old-type with recessed dots. Any suggestions?
I found small and larger ones at the $1 store (not the Dollar Tree chain $1 store...but one of the individually owned type $1 stores). They are sold in litte plastic cases and they are well made (can stand up to the heat of my heat gun and can handle a drill being put through it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I've purchased them at toy stores such as Toys R Us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
I've purchased them at toy stores such as Toys R Us.
Toys R Us - good idea! I'll head over there after work. Thanks, Beth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannaView Post
I've never seen any with raised dots and have always bought them at those stores -- long before knowing about altering them, my family just actualy PLAYS dominoes LOL!!

Sometimes even looking at the dominoes in person, there is an optical illusion with shadows and they can be laid out on the table and look raised. Maybe the pictures on the box just appeared raised. They won't really stack in a box if they're raised, kwim?

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have never tried these, but plan to give it go. I take part in Geocaching. If you are not sure what that is, it is like a worldwide GPS treasure hunt game. You can check out www.geocaching.com for more info.
I was thinking of making these as my signature piece to leave in caches. I am wondering about the spray sealant, is it waterproof? Any tips/techniques you can share that differ from the tutorial? I would love to hear them!
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianyaView Post
I have never tried these, but plan to give it go. I take part in Geocaching. If you are not sure what that is, it is like a worldwide GPS treasure hunt game. You can check out www.geocaching.com for more info.
I was thinking of making these as my signature piece to leave in caches. I am wondering about the spray sealant, is it waterproof? Any tips/techniques you can share that differ from the tutorial? I would love to hear them!
TIA!
I would LOVE to get into Geocaching - it sounds like quite a bit of fun and something the entire family can get involved in!

I've made domino necklaces for myself and I wear them in the shower. I seal them with Liquid Laminate (made by Beacon Adhesives). I use about 3-5 coats and it dries very quickly. I've been wearing one right now for about 6 weeks without any problems. I made another one for a friend that used rub ons and I sealed it with liquid laminate and a few layers Krylon Matte finish....it has held up quite well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I *just* the other day learned about geocaching and cannot wait to try it! It sounds like so much fun ~ and the dominoes are a great idea! I love doing altered dominoes and just bought some more supplies yesterday.

Which makes me want to ask Karen ~ where do you get the Liquid Laminate? Someone had mentioned Ranger Glossy Accents and I checked Hobby Lobby and they didn't have it so I don't know where to get that either. I've used the Krylon matte finish with mine.

I just sanded mine with the SU sanding block but I'm thinking if bleach works well it would be faster for doing a lot of them. Do you use a diluted solution of bleach? 50:50?

Here's my first project with dominoes:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't tried the trivet idea yet but my husband found me some great magnets and I've got pin backs. Next up is to drill holes ~ that seems like the trickiest part.

Anyway, can't wait to get going on more of these ! I just resupplied my alcohol inks yesterday so that's what I'm using next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for tips ladies! I will check at M's to see if they have the Liquid Laminate. Do you just apply it with a brush?

That frame is so pretty! Awesome job for your first project!

Geocaching is a lot of fun. I only started a couple months ago. It is kind of hard as their aren't a whole lot in my area, so I have to go other places. And with the price of gas these days, that isn't always possible. But I suggest getting out and giving it a try! Look up the caches in your area, you might be surprised!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Subscribing since I love making domino jewelry. I have also made domino pins and pendants by attaching a metal bale or bead with E6000 and skipped drilling holes that way. You can also put felt or other material on the back to cover up the colored dots and make it look a little more finished especially if you are making a piece of jewelry. Learned these and some other techniques from Denise Landa in classes she teaches at Stamp Your Art Out in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I just use regular old dominoes for mine. I bought a tin of them at Target for like $4. I usually make mine magnets or ornaments. When I make ornaments I wrap Sticky Strip around the edges and wrap ribbon around and make a loop at the top. I cover mine with Crystal Effects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thought I'd take a chance and see if anyone in altered dominoes land is out there today!

I JUST made a pin for my neighbor. I attached a self-sticking pin back and the pin just will not hang nicely. I think the pin back just sticks out too far from the domino and of course the domino is a little heavy. Any suggestions? I was thinking of pulling the self-stick adhesive off of a pin back and attaching it directly with cement. Did I just buy the wrong type of pin backs?

Thought I'd sound out the more experienced here! I'll post a picture later.

In make this pin and a magnet, I "discovered" something quite cool. I used alcohol inks for the background color and then I stamped a line image with dye ink by mistake. So I thought I could just re-sand the image and I rubbed off the ink first. Well it was really cool because the dye ink rubbed off just where the image was stamped and the alcohol background stayed. So I had this nice white image and looks like I used some kind of resist technique... and I didn't! I just made a mistake... serendipity!

A bunch of you have probably already done this - on purpose no less LOL! - but I thought it was so neat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #23  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Thought I'd take a chance and see if anyone in altered dominoes land is out there today!

I JUST made a pin for my neighbor. I attached a self-sticking pin back and the pin just will not hang nicely. I think the pin back just sticks out too far from the domino and of course the domino is a little heavy. Any suggestions? I was thinking of pulling the self-stick adhesive off of a pin back and attaching it directly with cement. Did I just buy the wrong type of pin backs?

Thought I'd sound out the more experienced here! I'll post a picture later.

In make this pin and a magnet, I "discovered" something quite cool. I used alcohol inks for the background color and then I stamped a line image with dye ink by mistake. So I thought I could just re-sand the image and I rubbed off the ink first. Well it was really cool because the dye ink rubbed off just where the image was stamped and the alcohol background stayed. So I had this nice white image and looks like I used some kind of resist technique... and I didn't! I just made a mistake... serendipity!

A bunch of you have probably already done this - on purpose no less LOL! - but I thought it was so neat
I agree that the self adhesive backing makes the domino stand out too far and basically flop around. I had alot more success with using a regular pin back adhered directly with CE or hot glue.

To answer an earlier question, I love leaving the backs as dotted dominoes bc people can see that it is actually made from one rather than wondering what it is. I think it adds to the coolness!

One thing I do that really makes it pop is to float a tiny rhinestone in the CE when you seal it.

Here are some of my "oldies" but goodies. Some how I got out of my domino phase, but I need to get back to it again. Love em!

juggling Santa

snow ball snowman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just a quick question, how are you applying you Crystal Effects or equivelent to seal the top? I was thinking of brushing it on, as I have some old brushes from my tole painting days, but does it leave brushmarks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianyaView Post
Just a quick question, how are you applying you Crystal Effects or equivelent to seal the top? I was thinking of brushing it on, as I have some old brushes from my tole painting days, but does it leave brushmarks?
I outline it, then fill it in straight from the bottle. I just use a light coat and it doesn't drip off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I go straight from the bottle too, because yes the brush marks will show and sometimes a brush can cause bleeding, I speak from experience

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
One thing I do that really makes it pop is to float a tiny rhinestone in the CE when you seal it.
You can also sprinkle on glitter, mica flakes, pearl ex, etc while it's wet

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the Dawns Stampin Thoughts blog.
SOOOO easy to follow, even a newbie like me can figure it out!
http://dawnsstampingthoughts.typepad...s-are-not.html

:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I made these yesterday:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Oh my. It is so much FUN to make these! Next up... jewelry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #31  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Great tutoral! Just a word about CE. If you are using sharpies and stazon or stazon and chalks, you can use CE with no problem, but if you are using regular dye based ink, then the spray acrylic sealer may work out better because the CE may run the water based ink ((ask me how I know)).

Another way to get that crystal look with die based ink is to use a combination: Seal it first with spray acrylic then after it dries apply the CE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Luv Shih Tzus Luv Stamping

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilinacrouseView Post
I have a tutorial on my blog for domino magnets
http://ilinacrouse.blogspot.com/2008...-tutorial.html

for pins, you can glue pin instead of magnet.
I use regular dominos, haven't seen special ones for crafts
Thank you so much for such great instructions and illustrations on your blog. You have really simplified this whole project for me. I have had my moments of frustration on this. I am not the most patient person and I really appreciate step by step clear instructions with photos that make it fool proof. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Default domino keychains

:confused:Has anyone tried putting a photo on a domino and what did you use to do it? thanks:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Please HELP! I love these and have been working on them for 3 days. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I sanded my dom, inked it with stampin up ink, then I am attaching jewels and beads. My ink today was still wet and it smears. I also tried applying triple thick to give it a glossy look and to maybe dry the ink... once I spread it on it smeared my pretty design. Does anyone know why my ink doesn't dry..do I need to polyurethane it before I do the glossy coat and put on my beads? I am doing these with my Teen Mops and I just can't get it right...please any help is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampNScraplissView Post
Please HELP! I love these and have been working on them for 3 days. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I sanded my dom, inked it with stampin up ink, then I am attaching jewels and beads. My ink today was still wet and it smears. I also tried applying triple thick to give it a glossy look and to maybe dry the ink... once I spread it on it smeared my pretty design. Does anyone know why my ink doesn't dry..do I need to polyurethane it before I do the glossy coat and put on my beads? I am doing these with my Teen Mops and I just can't get it right...please any help is great!
You need to use Staz-on ink...it is especially made to stamp on plastic and other non-porous surfaces. Stampin' Up! ink will not work for dominoes. Sorry!....hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi. I have had success with stamping on Dominos, but I am interested in doing some decopage on some dominos as well. I would like to print out images on my computer and glue them to dominos, I have a scanner and a printer,but have never tried anything except scanning documents to emails. Is there a way to print out pictures/photos onto cardstock in1"x2" size? Is it something that I adjust on my printer? How do I tell the computer to take the scanned image and create a sheet of 1" x 2" images (that I can cut and decopage onto dominos)? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how well paper will adhere to dominos with decoupage. I would do a practice run with just paper to see if it works before going to a lot of computer trouble. ..

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

I agree with Lynn who said leaving the dominoes uncovered adds to their "coolness." Everyone will think you are so clever to have made a thing of beauty out of a game piece. I vote for naked backed dominoes.
Reply With Quote Likes