Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Controversial Opinion

I just renewed my subscription to the Fan Club, but I honestly have to say that I was considering just letting it lapse.
I feel that the site is now a money maker (If it isn't, then some one's not doing something right!), and the perks of the DD Gallery and instant uploads just aren't that important to me any longer.
I joined when SCS was still fairly young and growing and felt they needed the financial support. That's no longer the case since the site has been sold.
I feel that those of us who pay are really getting short-changed. I've long felt that everyone should pay for the privilege of up-loading. If that were the case, the membership fee could be lower for everyone, and cards in the gallery would have a chance to be seen and not lost in the huge volume of daily uploads.
I feel better, having said my piece. Let the fireworks begin!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The extra perks are neat, but what really, really hooked me was the instant uploads. I hate waiting, but didn't realize how much I detested it until there was a VSN and everything was instantly uploaded. That was when I started paying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can certainly see your point. If I had paid $ for each card I submitted to my gallery last year without having to wait, it would probably have been pretty high (i.e. I don't submit many) BUT I pay the "fee" simply because I get sooooo much out of the site and would almost feel guilty for seeing/using all the ideas on this site without paying something. KWIM? Have a greay Labor Day.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't belong to the Fan Club, you can still upload for free, it just takes longer for your pictures to upload.

I don't upload my pictures much to the SCS galleries anymore and if I did I wouldn't mind waiting for the upload.

I admit that I did not renew my Fan Club after SCS was sold. Plus when Julie left the Dirty Dozen, I sort of lost interest. I'm just being honest!

Someone give me some good reasons for rejoining!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I get soooo much from this site and I am so grateful for it. For me, the opportunity to pay back somehow gives me the warm fuzzies. Kind of like a thank you for creating this site.

Just because SCS is making money now, it doesn't make me feel like I shouldn't be paying for the Fan Club. I love to see the inspiration of the Dirty Dozen and to have the ability to get some wonderful patterns and templates in the Fan Club forum.

Plus, this site has unleashed a creative side in me that I never knew existed. And I am able to talk to others that have the same obsession/passion about papercrafting. And to me, that is priceless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I see your point but I'm on this site ALL THE TIME!!! For me it's a small price to pay for the inspiration and joy I get out of it. If someone is making money, good for them. I'll continue to pay my yearly membership dues. I guess for me it's like an online magazine subscription......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm....the site was making money BEFORE it was sold. There were ads being sold long before that and the member company program...those folks have to pay to become a member company. SCS was making enough money that Daven was able to make it his full time job.

So the only difference now is who is selling the ads and who is writing the checks to the employees, one of whom is Daven.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

My subscription recently expired and I have yet to renew it. I'm still trying to decide if I should.

That decision aside, what upsets me is the fact that I can no longer view the Fan Club galleries that I DID pay for! :mad: I wish each month's gallery was password protected and only members would know the password. This way, even if your subscription runs out, you can always go back and look at the galleries you did pay to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't really view the DD Gallery that much, but I like that I can if I want to. I just feel that $2 a month is not that much for all the happiness this site brings me. I have made many friends here and everyday I learn something new. SCS is my therapy, entertainment, and social outlet. I don't know where else you can get all that for so little $$. I am glad SCS makes money because that means it will be here for a long time. AND I am sure as the site continues to grow financially they will add more features.

JMO- I am happy to pay it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi. My thoughts on this have always been, why doesn't SCS give a one-day free day for those of us who aren't members to see what we're missing. Like what has been said above, I don't have worlds of time to spend here, so the gallery as it is is just more than enough for me. So, what am I missing? That's just it... I don't know!!! BUT if I had a shot at seeing it, there's a decent chance I WOULD subscribe. I've never understood why that hasn't happened. OR... has it, and I just didn't know about it? I don't come here every day, but you'd think there would have been a big tease about it or something.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hmmm, how much would you pay to have access to SCS? That is how I look at it. I love this community and would be horrified if I no longer had access to it. I know it is a free site but I have always chosen to support it by being a member of the fan club. That is how I give back a small amount for the huge learning benefits I have received from SCS. No matter how large this site gets it will always need the support of its community. That's my two cents for all it's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

um, what exactly ist he "fan club"? i spend a lot (too much?) of time here, but not sure what that is. i probably spend most of my time on the "everyday chitchat" forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Happy Heart, I liked your idea of only members should get to download. I think that would clear the galleries a bit. I agree with Sherry, $2 a month is not that much when you think that stamping magazines are up to $6 or more now days. I get so much more here for my money. I realize that *freeloaders* (I don't mean for that to sound ugly- just thought it was cute) have the same privileges for the most part, but I do like the instant downloads. With the volume they handle on this sight I think they need all the money they can get or we might even get more sluggish than usual. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, so no fireworks from me. Personally I am more than happy to pay what comes to a very small amount per month, mostly on the principle that I don't always think I should get something for nothing. Gosh, I pay more than that for my picture storage on PictureTrail, and I don't have an issue with that. I'm happy that I won 6 months sub in the DTGD challenges, but I will be renewing myself when that is up, for sure. And maybe I shouldn't say it, but it's mostly not about the DD gallery for me. I like it, I enjoy looking at it but I could live without it. But I have used SCS as a resource quite often over the years and felt it was time to start supporting it since I had benefitted from it. You could see buying a magazine as only supporting the publishers, or you could also see at as a way of supporting the designers for it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I am also on the fence about renewing my membership. On the one hand, it supports a community I would be completely lost without. You guys are my oxygen. But on the other hand, with the proliferation of amazing bloggers, the DD Gallery, while wonderful, is not as unique as it once was. Perhaps it's time for a new incentive?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05View Post
I don't really view the DD Gallery that much, but I like that I can if I want to. I just feel that $2 a month is not that much for all the happiness this site brings me. I have made many friends here and everyday I learn something new. SCS is my therapy, entertainment, and social outlet. I don't know where else you can get all that for so little $$. I am glad SCS makes money because that means it will be here for a long time. AND I am sure as the site continues to grow financially they will add more features.

JMO- I am happy to pay it.
Sherry you said what I was feeling. I also like to participate in challenges and have learned so much from the TLC challenges, the VSNs and now the Dare to get Dirty challenges. And every month I have the option to play with the Dirty Girls and I just hope a little of the talent rubs off. I have grown in my ability because of all I have gained here.

THe best thing about what I have gained though, is friends. Some are only cyber frineds right now, but I have actually met and stamp regularly with some ladies, and heck we've even gotten together just to have fun shopping or doing lunch. Some of these ladies are Dirty Girl Alums and they have shared their expertise with others at our get togethers.

My subscription is due soon, I'll be renewing.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I, too, debated renewing, mainly because the DD gallery isn't my first stop for inspiration. Most of the work in there now is soooo over-the-top detailed and technique-intensive that I'll never come close to it, so why bother? THe work is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but it's just not my style, KWIM? My style is very simple and clean, and Krystie Lee is the only current Dirty Girl who consistently does work that can be described with those two words. I love her stuff. And I love instant loading of my cards to my gallery. So I renewed my membership. But I had to think about it.

The sale of the site had no impact on my decision, actually. If lots of things start changing for the worse, it will, but for now, things seem pretty much the same on the user end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I just renewed my subscription to the Fan Club, but I honestly have to say that I was considering just letting it lapse.
I feel that the site is now a money maker (If it isn't, then some one's not doing something right!), and the perks of the DD Gallery and instant uploads just aren't that important to me any longer.
I joined when SCS was still fairly young and growing and felt they needed the financial support. That's no longer the case since the site has been sold.
I feel that those of us who pay are really getting short-changed. I've long felt that everyone should pay for the privilege of up-loading. If that were the case, the membership fee could be lower for everyone, and cards in the gallery would have a chance to be seen and not lost in the huge volume of daily uploads.
No fireworks from me!
I haven't renewed my subscription -- it expired about the time it was announced that SCS had been sold. In all honesty, I'd already been thinking about not renewing it so it wasn't the sale that caused that. I haven't uploaded anything to my gallery in over a year, and even then it was never much. The DD gallery is great and all, but I never really spent much time in there so that isn't really a "perk" to me. In fact, I don't spend much time in the gallery at all -- I'll admit that I'm a SU lover and 98% of the other stamps in the gallery just don't do anything for me. I got so tired of seeing some of the other stamps that I just stopped going to the gallery at all.

So, I don't plan to renew my subscription -- the "perks" aren't really perks to me. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Well said!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZindorfView Post
Hmmm, how much would you pay to have access to SCS? That is how I look at it. I love this community and would be horrified if I no longer had access to it. I know it is a free site but I have always chosen to support it by being a member of the fan club. That is how I give back a small amount for the huge learning benefits I have received from SCS. No matter how large this site gets it will always need the support of its community. That's my two cents for all it's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's not the DD gallery for me. I look at it a lot, but there are plenty of wonderful cards in the main gallery without it. And it isn't the instant uploads since I only upload occasionally. For me it has always been just to support a site I love! And so far I haven't noticed many, if any, changes to this site that indicate it is making more money than before. If it hadn't been such a huge announcement, I don't think I would have noticed any difference at all. So my plan is to continue on as though nothing happened!

For those who are NOT fan club members, would you pay for the privilege of uploading? Would you pay for the privilege of VIEWING the main gallery?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZindorfView Post
No one has to pay to have access to SCS, and that's just my point. Those of us who are members are not getting much more for our monetary support than those who don't. I have supported it from the very beginning, but why should others recieve benefits from member's contributions?
The gallery is so huge that a lot of really good stuff doesn't get viewed at all. Even some former DD are lucky to get more that a handful of views unless they do the challenges.
I hear again and again that the thing people like the most about this site is the ability to maintain a gallery. If that's the case, why not have that as a member's only privilege.
I'd like to stress that I'm glad the site is making money....that means it will continue to thrive. They'd make even more if uploading were a condition of membership. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by Happy Heart; 09-01-2008 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Added a word for clarity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Ummm....the site was making money BEFORE it was sold. There were ads being sold long before that and the member company program...those folks have to pay to become a member company. SCS was making enough money that Daven was able to make it his full time job.

So the only difference now is who is selling the ads and who is writing the checks to the employees, one of whom is Daven.
Thank you Jan!

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is now that NameMedia owns SCS. I'll still continue to pay as I love the site, I spend most of my free time here getting ideas which is way cheaper than the magazine subscriptions I used to have.

I honestly wish you had to pay to even have a gallery. Flame away, but photos take up space and I personally fell you shouldn't get to store your works for free somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I just signed up for the fan club a couple weeks ago after several years of spending time on SCS. I'm not an incredibly creative soul and get a ton of ideas from this site so I was happy to spend the money to join the Fan Club. I agree with Samantha - I tend to be a magazine queen but now get my ideas from this sight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

No one has to pay to have access to SCS, and that's just my point. Those of us who are members are not getting much more for our monetary support than those who don't. I have supported it from the very beginning, but why should others recieve benefits from member's contributions?
The gallery is so huge that a lot of really good stuff doesn't get viewed at all. Even some former DD are lucky to get more that a handful of views unless they do the challenges.
I hear again and again that the thing people like the most about this site is the ability to maintain a gallery. If that's the case, why not have that as a member's only privilege.
I'd like to stress that I'm glad the site is making money....that means it will continue to thrive. They'd make even more if uploading were a condition of membership. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Gosh, I never thought about it like that - that others are receiving benefits from my membership! I think that your idea of a fee for uploads could be a good suggestion! But to help out the newbies, maybe allow a certain number per month for free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally since I spend a little more time here than I should. And fully support this site.

Why? Because it has many great things to offer.

Sometime take a look at the Resource page: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/

Joining the Fan club give you Instant uploads in the gallery.

Get to view the Dirty Dozen Gallery.

And just belonging to a Super Site! Is the reason I joined the Fan club!

I want to help support this site.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess my only issue is whether SCS receives enough advertising revenue -- like a radio station -- to be profitable without our fan club dues. I just sort of assumed it did. Perhaps I am wrong. You have all given me something to think about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I guess I've been living in a hole, because I had no idea that the site had been sold. When did this happen? What are the implications? Who bought it, and why?
I guess that's all my questions.
Maybe someone can connect me to a link that answers all the questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I guess my thoughts are,

Why SHOULDN'T someone make money off this site? We live in Capitalistic nation. As long as SCS supports MY needs: galleries to gaze, technique tutorials, and chatting, I will support it.

DT: Sketch Saturday, Bugaboo - My Blog /Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I guess I've been living in a hole, because I had no idea that the site had been sold. When did this happen? What are the implications? Who bought it, and why?
I guess that's all my questions.
Maybe someone can connect me to a link that answers all the questions.
Here's a link to the announcement: New Beginning for Splitcoast.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebraView Post
I am also on the fence about renewing my membership. On the one hand, it supports a community I would be completely lost without. You guys are my oxygen. But on the other hand, with the proliferation of amazing bloggers, the DD Gallery, while wonderful, is not as unique as it once was. Perhaps it's time for a new incentive?
I think you really hit the nail on the head with me. I subscribed in April and honestly I have hardly visited the Fan Club Gallery. I think I am looking at blogs and other sites more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenbee JoView Post
I guess my thoughts are,

Why SHOULDN'T someone make money off this site? We live in Capitalistic nation. As long as SCS supports MY needs: galleries to gaze, technique tutorials, and chatting, I will support it.
I'm right there with my fellow Coloradin. SCS is a great site and a great product. Someone should definately make money off of it. If it's making money, NameMedia will contine to make it better and give it more bandwith. I'm all for Capitalism.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraView Post
Here's a link to the announcement: New Beginning for Splitcoast.

Vera
Thanks, Vera,
I guess this all happened when I was on vacation, so by the time I got home and unpacked, got the laundry done, etc., this thread had faded back a few pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #33  

I've been thinking about joining the Fan Club for several months now but just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'm glad I found this forum because it has confirmed that Yes I really do want to join. I agree with many of you that this site has given me more inspiration than any other outlet. If at some point they institute a fee for using this website I'd pay it. Every small business needs to make money or why would anyone work so hard to keep it going. Thanks SCS/Namemedia for a job well done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess I'm confused...there are other sites on the web that have hundreds of thousands of members as well and don't charge for any of their gallery privileges...I could see if the site was still private and that revenue was being used to pay for servers and space and whatnot...but the site was purchased by a company that wanted it because of ad revenue and hits....so why do we need to pay now? just because it's always been that way?

Like I said...if the site was still privately owned it might be a different story...but it's owned by a company now...a company that generates revenue strictly by hit counts on the site...even if everyone dropped their membership it wouldn't affect that money coming in...those fees for the fan club are like a bonus......so why should we have to pay for access to any of it?

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Default well worth it!

I started supporting this site with contributions even before there was a Fan Club. I get sooooo much more from here than any magazine subscription that would cost as much if not more. I do check out the Dirty Dozen every month and am awed by their creativity. Even though I am mostly an SU! girl and the DD tends to go with more non-SU! stamps that doesn't mean I can't appreciate their work. And although my cards are not quite as elaborate as most of the DD's, I can still get ideas and inspiration from them. To me, that is priceless!

So what if SCS has been bought! Good for Daven and the crew for creating such a fabulous site that someone wanted to buy it. Honestly, I'm happy to pay such a small price for getting SO MUCH in return. A bargain at twice the price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It's $2 per month to support this site as a fan club member.

Do you feel like you get $2 worth of entertainment or information per month out of Splitcoast? I certainly do!!!

The site has operating costs, no matter who owns it. If members don't support the site through the fan club, then be prepared for more ads and/or required membership fees.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am still more than happy to support this site with my membership. It doesn't matter to me who owns it--it's my "home" on the internet, and the mortgage payment is small! :-)

My life has been greatly enriched by SCS! Wonderful, dear friends. Becoming an SU demo, enjoying personal and business support. Having instant access to all kinds of news, information, and techniques.

I agree with whoever said it was a bargain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:

I was wondering about this myself. I had considered joining but gave up on the idea after the site was purchased. Yes, it's a great site and the price isn't outlandish. However, as someone pointed out, there are sooo many blogs out there now that having access to the DD isn't as appealing. I don't particularly care how long it takes the few cards I submit to upload.

After reading this thread, I think I'll stay unsubscribed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

This is interesting to me because I have just now been debating whether to subscribe for the first time. I was hesitating mostly because I didn't know the price and the "perks" weren't that much of an incentive to me (I know I'll never be able to touch the cards in the DD), but I did think it is worth supporting...now that I know it is only $2 a month I will definitely join! I do not buy magazines because they are too over the top to me, also--and too expensive. But this site is definitely worth $2 a month to me. I don't think blogs are as easy to use, and you'd spend a lot more time looking for something if this site wasn't arranged by stamp set.
As for not uploading unless you join, I think that's fair too. If you had to join just to view the gallery, I would never have even come here though. Plus, a lot of the inspiration could be coming from those who are NOT fan club members, so you might find it to be not as valuable if they limited it. Just a thought.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
It's $2 per month to support this site as a fan club member.

Do you feel like you get $2 worth of entertainment or information per month out of Splitcoast? I certainly do!!!

The site has operating costs, no matter who owns it. If members don't support the site through the fan club, then be prepared for more ads and/or required membership fees.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Very well said, Krystie! ITA!
Reply With Quote Likes