Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSU instead of SUO designation?

So I discovered this weekend that you can only use the SUO designation if absolutely everything on your card (or item) is SU! I really did think that if your stamp(s)/ink/paper were SU! that was what counted. I often use Cuttlebug embossing folders, Nesties, non-SU! ribbon/bling/brads/embellisments/etc. on my cards since SU! just can't offer everything. I love SU! and probably 95% of my stamping is with those stamps.

Here's my idea: I would like to be able to look at cards that are Mostly Stampin' Up! so if folks would put MSU in the keyword field then we could do a search in the gallery for MSU and get the cards that are mosly SU! stuff.

I would love to be able to look at all the new uploads everyday, but I simply don't have that kind of time. Maybe when I retire that will be an option! But until then, I'm trying to find another way to still see as much as time allows, but also see those things that work best for me.

What do you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like your idea. I have very few cards that are COMPLETELY Stampin Up but many that are MOSTLY SU. I hope it catches on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

The reason for the SUO, which you may know, is so that demos can do a search for SUO and be able to have ideas for workshops, etc. since we cannot demo anything that isn't sold by stampin' up.

On that note though, I have a very small percentage of my cards that are SUO but I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of that keyword.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like your idea, too, as I'm in the same boat ~ it can be almost entirely SU except for an embellishment, especially Prima flowers.

And also I've seen some cards in SUO that were really MSU and it was annoying to try to figure out what SU product such-and-such was! I remember thinking, oh, it doesn't have to be 100% SU?! But really... yes... it does ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

no need to get rid of keyword "SUO" -- just add "MSU" as a keyword. I love that idea, Dana! Is there a way to get this message to those who make the changes/additions? Absolutely fabulous idea!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Default my bad!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post
The reason for the SUO, which you may know, is so that demos can do a search for SUO and be able to have ideas for workshops, etc. since we cannot demo anything that isn't sold by stampin' up.

On that note though, I have a very small percentage of my cards that are SUO but I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of that keyword.
As careful as I thought I was being when I started this thread, clearly I did not title it well!! LOL! I totally agree with you that it should be IN ADDITION TO on the designations. I really understand the need for the SUO keyword, but would like to see the MSU one used also. I'm an SU demo, so I'm definitely not disrespecting that! I use only SU product for business stamping, but for personal use, I include other accessories and would like to be able to search for both at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YEs SUO is Stampin Up Only. There are many demos and other SCSers that asked for this Gallery Thread. Some poeple only use SU products. I love this gallery as I get ideas for workshops from it.
I do like you idea as well because some do add just an embellishment or something that is not SU. I do all the time for my personal cards. I have alot of NON-SU products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mis.tyView Post
no need to get rid of keyword "SUO" -- just add "MSU" as a keyword. I love that idea, Dana! Is there a way to get this message to those who make the changes/additions? Absolutely fabulous idea!!! ;)
I'm not sure how to go about that, but if there is enough interest, I'm guessing there is a way...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #9  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Just keep bumpin' to the top and letting people find this...it will catch on!!

MSU is a great idea!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

That sounds like a great idea. I'll stick a post-it to my monitor to remind me. Because one thing for sure, I could never make a card that was only SU products all through - stamps is about as far as it goes for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

I've been using SUM (Stampin'Up Mostly) for awhile - right now there are 94 cards with that KEY compared to 12 w/MSU... just food for thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I don't think anything special has to be done. One would just have to get the word out to add that desigantion to their keywords when uploading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A good way to get the word out is to add it to your signatures. SUM or MSU or both...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

fantastic idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

SUM works for me if that is what is already being used! And I'll get it added to my signature line when I get a few minutes to do that - good idea!

Thanks for the input ladies. I'm excited to be able to pull up cards that fit my stamping style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

ok - I've added it to my signature line (that was easier than I remember! LOL!). Since I'm not a prolific poster, if any of you want to jump in and add it to your signature too, that would surely help! Thanks everyone for your ideas and support! Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I was just thinking about this last week. Here is what I do: You can go to the SCS gallery and click Stampin' Up! and click on recent SU! uploads. The only uploads will be ones with the SUO keywords and ones put into the specific set name galleries. It does not bring up all new cards regardless of paper, ink and stamps brands like the old recent uploads used to. For instance: this Beautiful Bag in a Box is not in an SU! set gallery, but still came up because it is SUO designated.

Here is how that works, according to my address bar. Clicking on Recent SU! uploads is a link to a gallery search of all SU! set names and SUO as a keyword. So that would be the best way to look that up, I think.

I get why some people want ideas on cards that are SUO. But if there is something I'm missing about why we would need a SUM or MSU designation, I would love to hear it! I am not being snarky, I really believe that there is something I am not thinking of. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #18  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

FAB idea! Love it and will USE it!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #19  

This is an awesome idea! I use MOSTLY Stampin' Up products on my cards, but they are RARELY Stampin' Up! ONLY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoeView Post
I was just thinking about this last week. Here is what I do: You can go to the SCS gallery and click Stampin' Up! and click on recent SU! uploads. The only uploads will be ones with the SUO keywords and ones put into the specific set name galleries. It does not bring up all new cards regardless of paper, ink and stamps brands like the old recent uploads used to. For instance: this Beautiful Bag in a Box is not in an SU! set gallery, but still came up because it is SUO designated.

Here is how that works, according to my address bar. Clicking on Recent SU! uploads is a link to a gallery search of all SU! set names and SUO as a keyword. So that would be the best way to look that up, I think.

I get why some people want ideas on cards that are SUO. But if there is something I'm missing about why we would need a SUM or MSU designation, I would love to hear it! I am not being snarky, I really believe that there is something I am not thinking of. Thanks!
But do you have to put the set name in the KEYWORDS field for this to happen or does it automatically bring up all new SU cards if the set name is in the 'stamp' field? Is that confusing?! LOL! Seems like it would be easier to just put SUM in the KEYWORD field rather than type out set names twice. Still workin' on figurin' this one out... All input is welcomed!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

So i just went and tried jm_donahoe's idea and all the cards that come up are SUO, so I don't think that is going to work (unless I was doing something wrong which is entirely possible!). Its lookin' like putting SUM in the keyword section is still the best search option...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

You actually don't have to type anything. Just go to the gallery list and click on Stampin' Up! Galleries, then click recent SU! uploads. It automatically does the search for you so that it includes any SU! Set Name and any SUO designations. Not JUST SUO designations, but a lot of people are putting that in their descriptions lately. Here is the page that comes up:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

If you go there, you will see many projects (cards and other - check out that onboard snowflake ornament) that are not keyworded SUO. It brings up all SU! set name uploads AND all SUO keyworded uploads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

...... I love that idea, Dana! Is there a way to get this message to those who make the changes/additions? Absolutely fabulous idea!!! ;)
Don't need to do anything special to start using a new keyword. If a group of us wanted to start making cards with elephants and we all put the word elephant into the keyword section or the title of the card, then the search engine would automatically would find all of them.
A few month's ago several of us began using MSS for Monthly Scripture Swap. It works great with only a couple of "extras" coming up because of a typo.

Your abbreviation SUM might bring up just a few extras too. Although I doubt that many people write algebraic equations into their card descriptions. "If the number's digits sum to a number that's divisible by 3"......
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

...... Just go to the gallery list and click on Stampin' Up! Galleries, then click recent SU! uploads. It automatically does the search for you so that it includes any SU! Set Name and any SUO designations. .......
The downside of that for the gals who are demos is that it also brings up cards that only use one tiny SU stamp, with the main interest being Cuttlebug embossing, Fiskars punches or a different stamp company. I have sometimes put a card into one of the sU set galleries even though that is not the main feature of the card.

So for all the SU fans out there, I think the SUM (or MSU if it should go that way) keyword is a great idea!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
...Your abbreviation SUM might bring up just a few extras too. Although I doubt that many people write algebraic equations into their card descriptions. "If the number's digits sum to a number that's divisible by 3"......
You are TOO FUNNY ~ LoL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Well Dana -- I copied your signature line with the SUM and have added it. Can't wait to check out the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You actually don't have to type anything. Just go to the gallery list and click on Stampin' Up! Galleries, then click recent SU! uploads. It automatically does the search for you so that it includes any SU! Set Name and any SUO designations. Not JUST SUO designations, but a lot of people are putting that in their descriptions lately. Here is the page that comes up:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

If you go there, you will see many projects (cards and other - check out that onboard snowflake ornament) that are not keyworded SUO. It brings up all SU! set name uploads AND all SUO keyworded uploads.
Hey jm - I clicked on the link you so kindly provided to see if it got me to a different place than when I had tried before and it was the same. If you look just above the first sample that comes up, you will see that it shows 'SUO' as part of the search. I also clicked on a ramdom sampling of the cards posted and all of them listed 'SUO' in the keywords. I did look at the snowflake ornament and it didn't have 'SUO' as a keyword, but it was in the title of the upload. All things considered, I think I will keep on adding the SUM keyword to my posts and hoping that it will catch on. Thanks for the continued help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Well Dana -- I copied your signature line with the SUM and have added it. Can't wait to check out the results.
Thanks Mis.ty!! We'll just have to keep commenting on stuff to help get the word out. LOL! Plus for me remembering to add SUM to my posts will be a challenge with my peri-menopausal memory!! But I've got a post-it stuck to my computer so hopefully that will help...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I love this idea as well and just helping to bump this thread back up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstampinfoolView Post
Thanks Mis.ty!! We'll just have to keep commenting on stuff to help get the word out. LOL! Plus for me remembering to add SUM to my posts will be a challenge with my peri-menopausal memory!! But I've got a post-it stuck to my computer so hopefully that will help...
peri-menopausal memory - lol -- I've got that too! Well, I don't have a lot in my gallery yet, so I went in and changed the cards that "fit the bill". I'll have a bunch to upload when I have a large chunck of time on the computer and I'm sure all of them will be SUM.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

peri-menopausal memory - lol -- I've got that too! Well, I don't have a lot in my gallery yet, so I went in and changed the cards that "fit the bill". I'll have a bunch to upload when I have a large chunck of time on the computer and I'm sure all of them will be SUM.

Cheers!
Since I have a fair few in my gallery, I don't think the moderators would appreciate it if I went back in and changed the 90% or so that would fit SUM, so I'd better just start with uploads from now on... :grin:

and that will get me to post more regularly, too, which I can be kinda lazy about. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

bumping for more input / interest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Ok, I guess you are right. I thought the SUO+cat was the SUO plus all the set names. Sorry. I will start putting SUO for my cards that use only SU and SUM for the ones that use other stuff too. Anyone know if SUO can be used if it is retired stuff, or will that throw off that whole thing? I haven't uploaded in a while, but I am able to give time to SCS and to my stamping craze again, so I will be uploading and participating soon. (plus I JUST got my new catty order )
Woohoo! Another SUM uploader! Most of my stuff will be SUM since I may have used non-SU ribbon/brads/bling/etc. or the CB or Nesties on my cards. I've got tons 'o SU stuff, but I've gots lots 'o other stuff too! In fact, we won't even talk about all the stuff I have!! LOL!

I'm not sure what the answer is in regard to retired SU stuff. I think the reason some of the stampers wanted an SUO area was to be able to get ideas for current workshops. That would seem to take retired stuff out of the options. Just guessin'... (but don't quote me on that!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

Oh, I really like the SUM idea, as most of my cards are mostly SU, but not SU only. Great idea.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just waving - hi, Dana!! So good to see you! ;)

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

btt for Dana and the SUM challenge!

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post
Just waving - hi, Dana!! So good to see you! ;)
Hi Lori!!! I'm still around - just tend to be quiet most of the time. Usually too tired from work and checking in to see what's goin' on. The SUO - SUM dilema is what got me back on the airwaves. LOL!

Hope all is well with you and yours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

btt
Thanks for keeping this bumped, Mis,ty! I'm out of town this weekend so not as able to get to the computer as I would be at home!
Reply With Quote Likes