Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you feel about demos that .....

charge for workshops?
I went to a SU! party about two weeks ago and the demo charged $5 for supplies. She made three cards that we were way complex (not something that I would ever do) and most people lost interest because there was so much detail. I totaled up the cost for each cards supplies and there was no way that each card was over $1.50.
I used to be a demo and would never have charged money for a workshop, but I would also complain about the cost of supplies that would cut into my profit margin. When a demo adds up all of the odds and ends it can get pricey...

What do you think?
I am thinking about hosting a party, but feel weird saying, "Hey, come to my party and order stuff so that I can get the hostess benefits, and by the way it is also gonna cost you $5."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

My demo is more of a hobby demo beacuse she has some life stuff going on but when she did have workshops we made 5 cards and she cahrged $10 but we had to bring our own scissors and adhesive. If you placed an order over $10 she applied it to your order so the only way you actually paid for the workshop was if you didn't actually order things. I know she uses the hostess credit to order her class for the next month so it doesn't bother me too much, but I always order something so I'm not really paying either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually a lot of demos now a days are charging for classes etc. If it is an open house or something like that I wouldnt charge but for a class or ongoing workshops..yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Hi, I'm a SU demo, and I've actually had people ask me to charge a small fee at the workshop, so their friends could come and have fun, but not feel obligated to buy a bunch of stuff. Does that make sense? So I word the nvitation that there was a $5 materials fee, refundable with a $25 purchase. That way people don't feel obligated to buy anything (which I know is totally not the point of the workshop), but could just pay $5 and not feel guilty for not buying anything. Or, if they do want to buy stuff, then they don't pay any fee.

Does that make any sense?
Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I always charged a fee, small one, for workshops. I never had a problem with it. I never charged if I was doing just a demo (not really too many of those, they wanted to be able to stamp even for a fee). I never had a complaint or anything...however, if they couldn't pay, I wouldn't charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts
Default what do you think?

OP--was it a party or a workshop?????
If a workshop, the fee was justifed---though like others said maybe refunded if an order of certain amount was paid. As for your estimate of $1.50 per card for supplies...that totals $4.50 leaving a mere 50 cents for time, gas and other expenses involved with the workshop. If it was a party, those going surely knew it was a sales party---but maybe the fee was so they wouldn't feel obligated to buy.....without all the details, can't judge! With gas and other prices right now,,,,,I would have a hard time begrudging the fee.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

When my demo does a workshop she charges $5 - $10. To me it's well worth it. I always learn something new. And, I come home with alot of samples with instructions. She does the instructions/recipe for handouts. wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the guests are also getting something of value for that $5. Three nicely-detailed cards would cost more than $5 to purchase them in a store.

Perhaps the demo needs to adjust her style if the cards are "over the heads" of the guests. But I think her charge was reasonable.

JMHO,
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

The way I look at it is if you are invited to a workshop you are not expecting to pay to do the make and takes. If you are going to a class then you expect to pay for the class. As a demo I never charged for a workshop. I looked at that as an expense of doing business. I know things are tough for a lot of people now but I still can not justify charging for a workshop. I would charge for classes and would gladly pay to go to classes. I guess if I were hosting a workshop, I would be very clear up front with the demo about what I expected. If the demo didn't agree, I would look for a demo that felt the same way I do. I know a lot of people that would not attend a workshop if they knew they had to pay for the make and takes. I myself would prefer to do one free make and take (to hold the supply cost down) than pay to make more than one card.
Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Wow! I got invited to a workshop recently and the demo wanted $20!!!!!!!! That was a little rich for my tastes. Now, $10, I'd have no problem with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I have no problem paying for a workshop. There is more involved with the projects than just products. Adhesive for one can be so expensive, Not to mention all the time the demo takes to cut, score and package the projects. Parties on the other hand I do believe customers should pay. Even if there is a make and take...9 times out of 10 the demo will make money on the class to cover one project. Alot of the time with workshops I see so many ladues come make their projects and leave. That said when I host a party I ask that the demo just make 2 or three projects as she demos the products no make and take. Then I don't have to ask my guests to pay and my demo is only out the cost to make 2 or 3 cards if the sales are low...JMHO!!

ETA: As far as the actual amount of the fee for a workshop it should be based on the amount of projects that will be done.

Last edited by stigmom6; 08-27-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

When I have a FUNshop, I give the hostess the choice--either a demo with one simple MNT at no charge to guests OR I'll demo a few things, then it's hands on for 3 things. The second option has a $5 charge waived with an order of $30 or more. The cards/project aren't difficult, but I do make sure to add embellies and such.

My hostesses usu. choose option #2 and the invite clearly explains that. Occasionally I've had a hostess choose #1.

Classes, Stamp-a-Stacks, SpecTACular Night, etc.--those all cost a fee.

HTH!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Is a workshop the same thing as a party? I've had tons of parties and my demo's never charged anything. If they did, I'd never have any guests...

Scrappractical - The Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

When I think of a workshop I imagine paying for whatever project/cards are being offered. For example a stamp-a-stack.

When I think of a party I imagine a friend inviting me to a sales party in which she hopes to earn free stuff. I wouldn't expect anything more than a card or two with no fee and no obligation :-)but of course I feel obligated to buy something.

When I think of an open house I image a demonstrator offering a make and take with no obligations to make a purchase. The demonstrator's motive is to promote herself and her business and hoping for immediate or future sales.

If I go to a workshop I expect to pay a fee for a specific project. I've paid up to 25 dollars for 20 cards and I didn't feel like a sale was expected. I have felt that is very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Archiver's charges quite a steep fee for some of its workshops. There's a Hero Arts holiday card one coming up, and you make like 4-5 cards and it's $15. You don't walk out with anything but the cards you make, it's not like you get the stamps you use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Have you ever been to a CM paty? I have ALWAYS been charged at a CM party. I think it's far to cover supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by suarezwalshView Post
When I think of a workshop I imagine paying for whatever project/cards are being offered. For example a stamp-a-stack.

When I think of a party I imagine a friend inviting me to a sales party in which she hopes to earn free stuff. I wouldn't expect anything more than a card or two with no fee and no obligation :-)but of course I feel obligated to buy something.

When I think of an open house I image a demonstrator offering a make and take with no obligations to make a purchase. The demonstrator's motive is to promote herself and her business and hoping for immediate or future sales.

If I go to a workshop I expect to pay a fee for a specific project. I've paid up to 25 dollars for 20 cards and I didn't feel like a sale was expected. I have felt that is very reasonable.

Wow! $25 for 20 cards is reallllllly reasonable! The workshop I was invited to was $20 and it was for only THREE projects! I couldn't go, so I couldn't tell you what they were, but I thought that was kinda steep!

Someone mentioned the Archiver's classes. Yeahhhhh, they're kinda pricey at $15 for 3 to 4 cards, but I take them just to get away, lol! It's kinda nice to be among adults for a couple of hours, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
OP--was it a party or a workshop?????
If a workshop, the fee was justifed---though like others said maybe refunded if an order of certain amount was paid. As for your estimate of $1.50 per card for supplies...that totals $4.50 leaving a mere 50 cents for time, gas and other expenses involved with the workshop. If it was a party, those going surely knew it was a sales party---but maybe the fee was so they wouldn't feel obligated to buy.....without all the details, can't judge! With gas and other prices right now,,,,,I would have a hard time begrudging the fee.

I don't think gas is a reasonable excuse because those workshops usually turn into a show where not only is the consultant making her comission on the sales but she is also keeping the hostess credit for herself and she can expense the miles she drives on her taxes as well. So to me that is double dipping.

Like I mentioned, I have to also bring my own adhesive and scissors too. She has the pieces precut (with the exception if it is using a punch of some sort) and then we stamp, fold, color, punch, and embellish everything ourselves (we also don't get tips or instructions to take home, just a supply list in case we want to order).

I personally would rather have a club, but my demo doesn't offer that because then at least I would get a hostess set out of coming over and over and over. Lately, I just save up and then put in one big order because I don't want to go a whole yar without a hostess stamp or a SAB or whatever, but I wish I could go to classes and stuff too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

To me, the confusion comes in the wording. Party/class/workshop/stamp club. Exactly which is which?
I totally agree with suarezwalsh about the differences.

If it is an advertised class or workshop or whatever you call it and the fee is part of the advertisement then no problem. I've been using SU for a couple of years now and I know what to expect and would pay good money now to attend a class where I would learn new techniques or such.

But the first time I attended a SU party, I knew NOTHING about stamping or SU. I received an invitation in the mail from a friend and had no idea what to expect. I definately would NOT have gone if I had had to pay even the small $5 fee. Why would I pay to find out what SU even was! I had never hear of SU and didn't think I needed to know anything either! But I went, spent over $100 on my first order and have continued with that same demo ever since.

I personally don't think you should charge a fee when the whole purpose is to get the guest to BUY! I know that it does cost the demo money to buy supplies, but that is just the nature of the business. To me it would be like paying to attend a Mary Kay party - something I wouldn't do. But keep in mind, that I am referring to a home party just like Tupperware or Pampered Chef where most of the guests don't already stamp and where it is by invitation of the hostess (and not the demo) only!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

When you go to a home decorating type party or a candle party, do you have to pay for her time, gas, and sharing her ideas? Not to mention all the goodies and door prizes they give away? I have never been invited to a Pampered Chef demonstration and been asked to pay for the food I eat. If I am invited to a "party" of any kind I do not expect to have to pay for being invited. I am doing THEM a favor by showing up so they can hawk their goods to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I used to be a CM consultant for 5 years. They do usually charge a fee but it is more like a class/party combe, however I NEVER charged. I felt like I wanted to help folks start preserving their memories. The $10 fee can push folks away. Within my group of CMC's I was the only one that did not charge for parties, My average sales where higher thatn most. I had monthly workshops that I did charge a $10 fee I always provided dinner, snacks and a small gift. My customers were very loyal. I miss it but life gets crazy sometimes.

I know that with Pampered Chef the Hostess is given the recipe and has to provide the ingredients for the Consultant. So the PC consultant isn't out anything. Most other types of home parties do not give you a project to do so the cost isn't as much. I think they all provide some type of door prize and or thank you gift.

Last edited by stigmom6; 08-27-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are too many confusing terms.

If a workshop is an event during which a demo supplies everything and I walk away with several cards I expect to pay. I am paying for the supplies, the demo's time before and during the workshop and her talent. Oh, and whatever profit she can make.

If the demo shows how to do a few things and features some stamp sets and supplies and I'm just watching, I don't expect to pay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think it's totally reasonable and I think it's a smart business move. When I was a demo, I charged $5 for 3 make 'n takes also. You aren't guaranteed any sales, if you don't charge for M&Ts, you can walk out of a workshop in the hole.

You have to consider not only the consumables used on the cards, but the ink refills, wear and tear on her supplies, damaged (and even stolen) supplies, adhesive, a portion of the cost of the stamp sets used, refill blades for her cutter after pre-cutting the supplies, all the little things that add up and cut into her already slim commissions.

If she offers 3 M&Ts that cost her even $1.50 each to 10 guests, that's $45.00. She'd have to sell over $200 that night just to break even on her M&T costs!

Also, as others have mentioned, $5 is a great price for 3 cards and an evening's entertainment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've thought about charging a small fee to the stamping group at work, just so I can recoup some of the supply cost. Everyone loves making the cards, but hardly anyone seems interested in placing an order -- even though I answered their questions about price up front by saying that there was no charge to attend, and the commission from any orders placed would allow me to replace the supplies used. :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I regularly go to a demo's home for workshops. She has a few different stations set up...and charges a few bucks. I don't think I've ever paid more than about $10...and really, it's usually more like $5.

But it is not a party...just a workshop. She has a sort of open house thing where people can just drop by. Sometimes I have gone and was there with 10 other people...other times I was there alone b/c all her other invitees were still at work/school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Monthly my ladies have a card party where they take turns being the hostess to get the free stamp sets and supplies. I have 18 to 25 people attend each month. It takes me a good share of 2 days and maybe 2 evenings to create and prepare the 50 cards for the make and takes. I am thinking about charging 5.00 for customers who would like to attend because they just want ideas and the make and takes. I just went to a party tonight with other demos to share ideas. Because we made make and takes we each offered to pay 5.00 for supplies used. That doesn't even begin to pay for the time involved preparing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
There are too many confusing terms.

If a workshop is an event during which a demo supplies everything and I walk away with several cards I expect to pay. I am paying for the supplies, the demo's time before and during the workshop and her talent. Oh, and whatever profit she can make.

If the demo shows how to do a few things and features some stamp sets and supplies and I'm just watching, I don't expect to pay.
Exactly what I was thinking. I remember many years ago when SU was new to me all the cards made during the presentation were given to the hostess as a hostess gift. I think maybe guests were allowed to choose one project and create a free 'make and take' as well. I know I came home with a bookmark just covered in glitter once, and I know I didn't pay to make it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

My demo charges but they are REAL classes where we learn a lot of techniques - I love them... I don't care for the SU parties where you make one simple thing.... I like to learn and she spends a lot of time keeping up on new techniques to share with us!

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

When I go to my demo's house and make a bunch of cards, we pay for the cost of supplies and food (and my demo provides good food!). When I was part of a club, we just watched her make something, then there was no charge. I know when I went to a SU party with a different demo, we only made one card and we didn't have to pay. So I suppose it depends on the amount of supplies used, which only seems fair. I don't expect to walk out with a bunch of free cards. Of course, my demo also knows that I'll never walk out of her house without placing a nice, big order, either! ;)
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey1969View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I remember many years ago when SU was new to me all the cards made during the presentation were given to the hostess as a hostess gift. I think maybe guests were allowed to choose one project and create a free 'make and take' as well. I know I came home with a bookmark just covered in glitter once, and I know I didn't pay to make it.

Hmm, not sure I'd want a bookmark with glitter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Hmm, not sure I'd want a bookmark with glitter!
That's why it's in a drawer in my stamp room and not being used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought I was going to a monthly workshop! Now I see the appropriate name is club. This is probably something everyone knows but me. This is how it works. I go to our Demos house every month and make 3 projects. It's the same 12 people who have made a commitment to purchase at least $20/month, most of us purchase more than $20. I spend way over that amount. If we are not there, we call the demo with our order and payment before the club meets. There is no charge for supplies. However, we do purchase our own adhesive for a dispenser she loans us. She has everything cut and all the supplies for one card/project in a box lid. The box lids move around with all the project materials to different groups. She also draws a name out of a hat for a SU item each month. Each month 2 people bring treats and drinks. We have alot of fun and laugh alot! I have been to stamp a stacks before and a fee is definitely in order as you are making about 8-10 projects and there is no comittment (sp?). What happens at your SU clubs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I honestly would generally expect to pay for one. Now... the reason I didn't get in to stamping like 10 years ago when i got in to scrappin' is because I went to a ctmh ...dots then...party that the person charged 10 dollars for and we made NOTHING...that stunk and was really embarrassing to my sister, the hostess. We all felt jipped...ironically I now really like ctmh, but that was a turn off then...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Ok - so we're talking stamp club here. I personally do not charge anything beyond the minimum purchase for my clubs. Most of my ladies also spend above their minimums so I come out just fine. However I only do 2 projects - usually one card technique & one 3D - box or something. Also I do not precut anything. They have the option of CASEing me or designing their own project based on what I did. This means much less prep work for me and really gives them more opportunites to grow in their stamping abilities. If I was precutting everything for them then I might charge.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY

Last edited by akstampmama; 08-27-2008 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: typo of course
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpw08View Post
I don't think gas is a reasonable excuse because those workshops usually turn into a show where not only is the consultant making her comission on the sales but she is also keeping the hostess credit for herself and she can expense the miles she drives on her taxes as well. So to me that is double dipping.

Like I mentioned, I have to also bring my own adhesive and scissors too. She has the pieces precut (with the exception if it is using a punch of some sort) and then we stamp, fold, color, punch, and embellish everything ourselves (we also don't get tips or instructions to take home, just a supply list in case we want to order).

I personally would rather have a club, but my demo doesn't offer that because then at least I would get a hostess set out of coming over and over and over. Lately, I just save up and then put in one big order because I don't want to go a whole yar without a hostess stamp or a SAB or whatever, but I wish I could go to classes and stuff too.
Sorry, but I disagree. At workshops, or classes, the sales are usually not very good. People don't feel obligated to buy much if anything since they already paid the class fee. That has usually been my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpw08View Post

Have you tried searching for a demo in your area who would offer a club for you and your friends? You can search very easily on the Stampin' Up website for a demo in your area---then contact them and see what they offer. I'm not trying to get you to leave your present demo, but it does seem like you are'nt as happy as you could be. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey1969View Post
I know I came home with a bookmark just covered in glitter once, and I know I didn't pay to make it.
All that and you didn't have to pay for it!
JK, It just seemed so funny to me! Real early here and only one cup of coffee, so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would feel very uncomfortable having a party and asking my guests to pay. I tell my invitees NOT to feel obligated to buy anything when I'm the hostess. I tell them to come and have fun, visit, eat, and learn a little something. I don't expect the demonstrator to do anything spectacular for the hands-on element...just something new and a bit different.
Now, if the demonstrator is having a workshop at her chosen venue, then I feel it's reasonable to pay a fee to attend.
As far as not paying to attend a Pampered Chef party, the hostess buys all the ingredients for the dishes, so the cost is not coming out of the demonstrator's profits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I personally do not think of Archiver's classes as expensive; you only need to bring yourself to the class~many LSS classes require you to bring a kit with two-three adhesives, trimmers, tweezers, etc. At Archiver's you always make at least 4 amazing cards and learn cool techniques. Plus you leave not only with the cards ; you have the color written instructions in case you would like to duplicate the cards at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Usually when we get together for an SU event, we don't pay a fee but most always purchase something. Is this a demo or a workshop, or a class? We always make three cards where our demo brings all of the supplies and everything is cut out for us, and she shows us how to make the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes