Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #81  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that SU! is missing the boat in not having that many line art stamps. I LOVE to color. It is relaxing for me. Stamping a solid image on cardstock isn't quite as thrilling for me. That said, I LOVE SU!'s papers and accessories (just got a big order today!) and tools, but I don't buy their stamps ever.

JMO...I'm just not in love or even in like with any of their stamps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

i think that i will always have a fond loyalty to stampin up, they are who started me on my wonderful stamping journey. i embrace all that is offered to me, pick what i like and journey on without the rest. it's all in the eye of the artist what colors,papers and stamps suit them! how wonderful that while we wait for stampin up to prepare the wonderful catalog, we have fillers from all the other wonderful companies. i am very content with what is offered and blessed to have such a wonderful selection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #83  
Glitter Guru

I, for one, am happy that there is so much variety now for stampers. I don't think that any one company has to follow any other company to compete! I like that i don't have to folow the monthly hype that some companies push! I mean if youwant the newest right away great, but sometimes the gallery gets flooded with this month's new release and I actually talk myself out of it, cuz i see it too much, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #84  
Mad Swapper

I think quarterly would be nice, kind of like the mini-catalogs. But their selection is so huge I'm having trouble keeping up with the new bi-annual catalog! I can hardly afford everything I want! So I think it's better for me personally to not have monthly releases; I'd probably get overwhelmed and quit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
I think the most important thing to realize is that Stampin' Up! has a completely different audience than all of the other companies that do monthly releases, so for them monthly releases are not necessary. SU has an army of independent demonstrators who are out in the real world looking for new stampers. Most of these new stampers don't even know that they like to stamp yet, so they really don't care if a company does monthly releases or offers mounted vs. unmounted options. What they do care about is cool hostess benefits or a special on some of the products in the catalog. So IMO monthly releases are not necessary for Stampin' Up! to get into based on their business model.

The new companies have no way to attract brand new stampers or would-be stampers. For the most part they only exist in cyberspace, where a would be stamper would never find them because they don't even know that they want to be looking for stamps. So these smaller cyber-companies need to find a way to drive experienced stamper traffic to their on-line stores, and that's what monthly releases do for them.

I think both marketing strategies work well based on the types of customers each one is designed to attract and the marketing tools available to each company.
Excellent point. As stampers we tend to see things only from the user end. The companies have an entirely different vantage point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #86  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
I was an SU demo for 5 years and left because I fell in love with unmounted stamps. Personally, I feel SU is missing the boat by not offering an unmounted option. I know I don't have to mount the rubber but I think it's hard to justify the cost of wooden blocks I won't use. I really don't understand why it would be such a difficult thing for them to do,
I am not a demonstrator, just an insanely overboard customer. ;) I agree that SU could keep/attract more demonstrators AND customers with an unmounted option. My cabinets are full and I find myself shopping for unmounted or single stamps more and more. I have not gone so far as to unmount, but, I do think more about space as I look at the cattys.

The other part of this discussion is about monthly offerings; I think the minis are enough for new offerings. But, I think the monthly specials are, well, um, usually kind of lackluster. The very first order I ever made from SU had a special with some real savings on some selected sets; I haven't seen anything that compared since. It really maked you want to expand your order when you feel you are getting a good deal (of course I am not talking about Sale-a-bration, which is always great)!

my two cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #87  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingwithkidsView Post
Okay, no need to do monthly releases for SU, here is my issue. I really wish that all the products in their two catties were available throughout the whole year, not just the 6 months. By doing this they are able to see what type of stamp sets were most popular in the first catty and use that to help bring similar images in the second catty but still let the first one be active. This would benefit the demos out there as they wouldn't have to worry for a full year about which stamps sets they had that were retired and they could pass out all of their catties to customers and know they could make sales from them.
The problem here is time frame. When catties are six months apart, the next one has to be nearly done when one is released. They've got to already have sets picked out, samples made, etc. I'm not sure how long this stuff takes, but I don't think what you're thinking of would work.

At any rate, SU! has told its demos that new stamps will stay for a year at least.

Are acrylics a petroleum based product? I thought all plastics were but am not sure.

I believe SU! is definitely geared more toward the new stamper. The kits are a testament to this. The real "artists" do tend to move on, expand their horizons. SU! can't satisfy these people, they get too specific.

So I think they're content to concentrate on their core.

Of course they also satisfy people like myself, for years and years, because I need the coordination they offer.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
I believe SU! is definitely geared more toward the new stamper. The kits are a testament to this. The real "artists" do tend to move on, expand their horizons. SU! can't satisfy these people, they get too specific.

Yeah! Stampin' Up! is the gateway drug...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #89  
Hardware Hotshot

I could go on for awhile about the things I WANT them to do, but here is a short list of things I think they OUGHT to do:
1. Offer unmounted
2. Get rid of some flowers and expand 'boy' 'masculine' sets
3. MORE scrapbooking stuff!! I am SO wanting journaling pens in some COLOR!! (did I say I wouldn't mention what I want? :grin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #90  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threads like this are so entertaining, and I mean that in a good way! It's so much fun to see all the different ideas out there, but it's also important to realize that SU is a privately held company that has stayed in business by being savvy and selling lots of stuff and, even more importantly, making a profit doing so. While I don't know for sure, I imagine everything from color choices to product design is driven by the bottom line--what's profitable for them and what is not. Change is driven by the dollar, not opinion, or Orchid Opulence would have retired years ago, LOL! It's fun for us to point out exactly what any company is doing right or wrong, but business is soooo complicated, with so many variables customers never see factoring into the equation.

That said, they really, really need to offer markers in the in-colors, get rid of Orchid Opulence, and give us more scrapping stuff. IMHO!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't think a company with the quality and success of Stampin Up can be accused of "missing the boat"...they have to have listened to their customers to keep their reputation.

I do wish personally they would offer the choice of "Cling" rubber stamps for those of us who "un-mount". It would save us time and the "guilt" of all those unused blocks of wood. Not to mention the waste of a natural resource.

I do have several of those "Clear" stamps. They are nice to use, but the quality of the impression can't compete with rubber. I appreciate SU's view on the quality of rubber and hope they never change to acrylic.

If I were in marketing and research at SU I would monitor product forums like this and keep track of the suggestions. This is not only a great forum for the users but a great research tool for any company to get "free" feedback on their products in a realistic sampling of end users.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #92  
Crimping Master

Now that they are going to die cut stamps, maybe a mounting option will be next. Keep your fingers crossed!

Quote:

I was an SU demo for 5 years and left because I fell in love with unmounted stamps. Personally, I feel SU is missing the boat by not offering an unmounted option. I know I don't have to mount the rubber but I think it's hard to justify the cost of wooden blocks I won't use. I really don't understand why it would be such a difficult thing for them to do,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #93  
Insane Embellisher

I love SU, and am so happy that they are now over here in the UK. However, I have to agree on the unmounted front - I would love the option to buy sets without the woodblocks. I have limited space available, and also find that the sets are quite pricey, so would be able to buy more if I had a cheaper option available.

Monthly releases would be a bit too much for me. With all the stamp companies and their various releases, I do find it all a bit overwhelming. Too much time spent browsing new stamps and not enough time creating (although that's my own fault, not the fault of the stamp companies)!

I am quite bored with the current UK catalogue though...to be honest there isn't that much in there that really makes me think "I have to get that!". I'm in a Stampers Ten club, and this month it was a little tricky to find stuff I actually wanted. Loads of sentiment sets, which frankly I don't really like as they tend to be a bit too schmalzy for my taste. Fingers crossed the next catalogue we get has more that will interest me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

I too, wish Stampin Up would go back to one catty per year plus four mini's. I liked it better that way. I also agree that SU should offer unmounted stamp sets at a discounted price. I am seriously thinking of unmounting my stamps just for the sake of storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

I'd love to see SU offer and UM choice as well, I just spent three weeks going totally UM. lol I took all my SU down to just bare rubber, my dh wonderfully ordered my ezm as a surprise, and was surprised at how fast I got them done. I would buy more stuff if they'd give that option- otherwise, I am kinda liking this 2 per year catty. I used to order so much right away, only to find I was kinda bored after- now I have twice the excitement. I can honestly say though that I wouldn't mind if they offered a 'special' once in a while. My dh has been telling me for years that SU is awesome, and that they are an incredible company- funny considering he always winces at the box when it arrives. lol

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #96  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post
I don't think that they need a monthly release because they have monthly specials. However IMO they need to make a few changes to keep up with the industry.
1. they absolutely MUST give the option of buying UNMOUNTED
2. they need more boy/masculine stamps
3. they need more up to date scrapbooking supplies
4. they need more diversity overall with their stamp collection. Lately some of the stamps seem to look like slightly new versions of older sets.

Those are just a few IMO.
I don't think they're missing the boat at all, especially after seeing the new catalog.

1. While an unmounted option would be nice, there is a huge market for wood stamps. Over 250 million dollars in annual sales can't be wrong on that. Not to mention, if a customer really likes unmounted, she can certainly do that. There are a dozen tutorials here that tell you how. I'm thinking of doing it myself for storage reasons! At least they've gone to die cut stamps so no more trimming your own!

2. They do have some more masculine sets coming out, as well as way more masculine patterns/colors Designer Series Paper!

3. As for scrapbooking supplies, I think SU is spot on with the current trends: tons of new rub-ons, chipboard, mini clips, designer brads, updated hodgepodge hardware, ribbons, buttons, more felt flowers, the Big Shot and dies....

4. The new catty has some really great new sets that are completely different from their older offerings. Cheers to you, Just Jawing are one that come to mind that are different than some of the others that come to mind.

It's impossible for SU to be all things to all people, but I think this new catty SU has really stepped up their game!

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #97  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I agree here. I think they could offer both the mounted option and the unmounted option. A lot of companies do this. That way they satisfy more people and I bet costs would be down because they wouldnt be using as much wood... But thats just my humble opinion.

Hugs
Jaunice Minor
Utah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #98  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had enough monthly cycles in my lifetime so I fall into the camp of not liking the monthly releases. It's a tiresome cycle of 2 weeks promoting the release, the "big" release date, and another 2 weeks talking about how lucky we are that they released this set. I've gotten to the point where I just skim past the posts that have these features in them. Some day I'll probably get ambitious and drop the blogs that regularly feature this monthly cycles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #99  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by margotgnView Post
I've had enough monthly cycles in my lifetime so I fall into the camp of not liking the monthly releases. It's a tiresome cycle of 2 weeks promoting the release, the "big" release date, and another 2 weeks talking about how lucky we are that they released this set. I've gotten to the point where I just skim past the posts that have these features in them. Some day I'll probably get ambitious and drop the blogs that regularly feature this monthly cycles.
This sums it up for me too! Except that I DID get ambitious and clean out my blog favorites and updates -- I got tired of all they hype and sales pitches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

I think they are missing the boat...but in the following ways:

1) they need to offer mounted/unmounted
2) they need to offer a large array of ribbon
3) they need to offer more embellishments that are color coordinated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #101  
Stampin' Fool

I think it is best the way they are doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #102  
Kookie Creator

I wish they would give the option of unmounted. I am tired of collecting wood blocks that i have paid for so I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
I also wish they would go back to one catalog per year and more minis.
I'm not too thrilled with their die cut stamps. I think the prices are higher for them, and I still have to trim them to my satisfaction.

I don't pay any attention to the monthly releases by the other companies, and wouldn't want them from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't read this whole thread. I may have even responded earlier and forgot!

Every company is "missing" some boat, KWIM? SU misses out on sales of clear; Papertrey misses out on sales of wood mounted rubber; Amuse doesn't sell scrapbooks, etc. etc. They all have their own niche.

Unlike many smaller companies, SU aims to a very broad market. The only folks who know for sure if their boat is missing some $$$ are the owners of SU! They reported at the last convention that sales are down 13%. I suspect that is typical for many craft companies during these economic times.......... and remember, sales figures are not the same as profits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #104  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I'm not a demo and LOVE Stampin Up stuff!

That said, they are WAY TOO TOP-HEAVY in the floral department!
I want stamp sets other then flowers. I think they need to diversify a bit to continue to succeed. In the last 1-2 years I find myself spending my stamp dollars elsewhere to get some variety.

That's my 2-cents!
I am a demo and I would have to agree - I love SU and love the way they are doing releases as it gives me a chance to get money for the next is due but I think they run way too heavy in all those dang floral stamps. You can only own so many all they all look the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

Offer their stamps unmounted at a reduced price. I love their stamps but they are just too expensive and I don't have the room for wooden blocks and big plastic cases. I have spent more $ at other stamp Co.'s for thier better value and storage options.

I like the catalogs the way they are. The mini's are great too. Too much floral stuff and not enough good guy/masculine stamps overall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

I wish they would offer UM's too. My collection of wood blocks just keeps growing... and I prefer to trim the stamps my way, anyway.

I do like the mini's, though and think monthly releases would be too much.

More line stamps to color and markers in the in-colors would be WONDERFUL. I went to Dick Blick's and found markers to match...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #107  
Insane Embellisher

I think they should get with the program and offer clear stamps! They would cost a lot less and a save a few trees too! I don't think their designs are any better that other companies, for the rediculous prices they charge! I do like their colors though, and the fact that you match everything easily. I feel no loyalty to this particular company. They make stamps. Big deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #108  
Cardstock Collector

I agree that SU has become a beginner's company, but that makes me sad. I have been a loyal customer for over a decade and my needs seem to be no longer important to them. They are missing the boat in that their loyal intermediate or advanced stampers are going to be branching out and leaving them behind for unmounted options and cutting edge design. They don't seem to worry about losing us at all.

And yes, their prices have become outrageous when we have to even assemble our own stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So they are making $250 million a year. I bet that would jump to $350 million if they would offer unmounted (at a reduced price WITHOUT the block or the plastic case - cheaper shipping too!!!) as an option. ALSO, if they would offer at least all sentiment, two-step, and alphabet sets (as an option) in clear stamps (photopolymer, not the cheap stuff from Asia). On the other hand, I'm not a business person, so I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #110  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerri KayView Post
I agree with a post above. I don't mount my rubber on wood, I use EZ Mount thin. I wish they would offer us the choice and reduce the price of the unmounted sets. I think my sales would triple! So many companies are now giving customers this option.
I agree with JerriKay. I am not tempted by the monthly release phenomenon. Too many companies are doing this and it is total overload. I do wish that SU! would offer a less expensive unmounted rubber option. I understand if they don't want to go to clear stamps (maybe a few sets here and there in a mini catalog would be nice) but unmounted saves space and money. I have spent more stamping dollars on clear releases lately because the price is so much more palatable. More bang for my buck! kwim?

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #111  
Insane Embellisher

I haven't read this whole thread, but as for a monthly release....

The Angel Company has a "Stamp of the Month" set that customers can get at a discount with any $30 purchase. There's not any big hype surrounding it or leading up to it or anything. But it's a nice incentive for customers. As a demo, I don't buy them unless it just knocks my socks off! Because at the end of that month, it's gone forever.

So in that aspect, a SOTM release can be good for direct sales demos. But I agree with what someone else said - basically there is not ONE company out there that offers it all. So we gotta be equal opportunity spenders! ;)

I do get tired of all the release posts on blogs, but they gotta build their business somehow with all the stiff competition out there! So I just look at the pics and go on, LOL!

Someone else mentioned unmounted options. Now, if SU! ever offered unmounted stamps at a lower price like TAC, then I would be a buyer for sure! So I hope they don't! Actually my credit cards hopes they don't, ROFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #112  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I am quite happy with 2 cattys and several mini catalogs. As much as I love stamping, more would really be overload for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #113  
Embossing Fanatic

I like two catalogs a year and the minis. I love that the newer stamps come die-cut. I HATE trimming stamps and I'm not that good at it, so I love just popping them out. But I must add to the UNMOUNTED OPTION chorus. It is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE waste of trees, fuel and freight charges to send wood blocks to those of use who do not want them and do not use them. Huge waste of money and natural resources. And with fuel surcharges going up on EVERYTHING, I can't believe that SU doesn't want to lighten their freight load, so to speak...crazy and insane that UM at a cheaper price is not an option...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a customer I would be overwhelmed by monthly releases; I spend enough each month on product. The SU market would be too saturated with monthly releases and customers can see that this is a marketing ploy to make more $. The workshops would focus on a new set every month and that could get old in a hurry. Sure SU could have a wider variety of stamp categories and decrease the flower sets. I do purchase from other stamp companies to fill that void. I like SU WM sets but would like to have the option of WM or EZ mount sets. Please only rubber not clear stamps. I think rubber stamps so much better. I love SU coordinating paper, inks etc. and getting together at workshops to learn new techniques with people who are alot of fun. SU does a great job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #115  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=auntdebee;11091025]I agree that SU has become a beginner's company, but that makes me sad. I have been a loyal customer for over a decade and my needs seem to be no longer important to them. They are missing the boat in that their loyal intermediate or advanced stampers are going to be branching out and leaving them behind for unmounted options and cutting edge design. They don't seem to worry about losing us at all.

wow! well said. That is exactly the feeling I get. I've written into SU demo support, and I so get the feeling they don't care about loosing us. Their niche is the beginners, and they think they've got us "hooked" because of the 48 color concept. (which is why I'm not leaving SU, but I'm having a really tough time spending $1200 a year...because there isn't enough stuff in the catalog that I don't already have.

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #116  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not sure how SU would go about fufilling the needs of both advanced and beginning stampers. Would SU need a really big catalog? Would the catalog have items for sale that are not SU, ie Tim Holtz etc.? Would clubs be designated as for beginning or advanced stampers? I'm not sure how this would work? Any ideas? I want to know what other people think, thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #117  
Inking Addict

Here in NZ, we get a yearly catty plus minis. It works - but our selection in teh main catty is a LOT smaller than what you all have in the US. The top sellers I suppose.

I'm on board with everyone saying there is a need for more masculine items. And masuline items for all age groups. There's a few cutesy ones for toddlers, but not much for the older boy (say 6+). The girls they have covered from 1 year to 101.... please, please, pretty please can they do more male stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes