Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Household Heat Source for Embossing?

Hi. I am going to try embossing but until I know if it's something I want to invest in -- is there something around the house I can use instead of a formal heat gun? I think I read a warm iron? I'm sure a hair dryer would blow the powder all over....

Also, instead of the Embossing Buddy to reduce static, I've heard one can use dryer sheets. Do I use NEW sheets from the box or USED sheets from the dryer? I read used, but am thinking that the static chemical would alreadt be gone.

THANKS.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis123View Post
Hi. I am going to try embossing but until I know if it's something I want to invest in -- is there something around the house I can use instead of a formal heat gun? I think I read a warm iron? I'm sure a hair dryer would blow the powder all over....

Also, instead of the Embossing Buddy to reduce static, I've heard one can use dryer sheets. Do I use NEW sheets from the box or USED sheets from the dryer? I read used, but am thinking that the static chemical would alreadt be gone.

THANKS.
You're right - a blow dryer is too much air and not enough heat. Before I got my heat gun, I heated a burner on the electric stove and then held the embossed piece over it (with tongs!) to melt the powder. An iron would work, using the same technique - upside down iron, hold the artwork over it. Someone also posted that you can use a regular oven - I think they said to set it to 250 degrees, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the dryer sheets, you want to use a used sheet. A new one could leave streaks on your cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

If you don't have an electric hotplate stove use your toaster. Push down to start heating and hold your card image up over the slots moving it around slowly. It may take another push down of the lever to heat the entire surface. Note: make sure your toaster is empty of crumbs as heating over and over again without bread in it to add some moisture, the crumbs can catch fire if dried out enough. I used my toaster until I worked out if I needed a heat gun enough to justify the price. Over here (Australia) they are between $50-$60.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

My "pyro" DH used our cr�me br�l�e torch before he got me the SU heat tool... I stayed far away... Amazing he never burnt my projects... he had a great time with this "technique" Be sure to get a nice pair of clean "for your use only" tongs to hold the paper so you don't burn your fingers... even with a "real" heat tool... And I'm a big fan of the "buddy" too, BTW...

Last edited by USAMoose; 08-27-2008 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: spelling :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

You can also use a 150 watt light bulb. Or, if your DH has a paint stripper hanging out in the garage...you can use that. If he doesn't have one, go buy him one....they're cheaper than a heat gun!!! I used one for eons before I finally broke down and bought a heat gun. For an 'embossing buddy'...use a USED dryer sheet. The softener in the unused ones will leave a residue on your paper that the powder will stick to. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you all!

If I were to use an iron, do I keep the project faceup on the workplace and hold the iron OVER the project, closeup, in the position as if I'm going to iron it? It seems maybe I heat the project from the BACK of the card stock? Or hold it upside down?

If I might hold it over the electric stove element, is it face up or face down?

These must sound like such a stupid questions to you more experienced embossers!

Also, the used dryer sheets.... only one use per dried sheet, or can I use the same dried dryer sheet 2-6 times?

THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I've used the pop up toaster to give off heat but eventually got a heat gun, gives a more even result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

There is no such thing as a stupid question...I have been embossing for the last 20 years and have leared that embossing can be done from either side of the paper. What has to happen is the surface needs to heat in order for the embossing powder to melt. (It melts at 150 degrees F) I have always used the easiest way to heat multiple items with which ever heat source I choose. ie take the paper to the iron not the iron to the paper. I have tried every heat source known to man...including a curling iron!! An open flame can be used but there is a very high scorch factor, and the heat shaft that you need to hold the image over is very small. It is important to be in control of your heat. Don't waggle your heat source or your paper. The heating process only takes seconds!! the thinner the paper the faster the embossing melts. The hotter your heat source the faster the embossing melts. You can always go back and add more heat. Be careful not to over -heat.if you do there is nothing that can be done to that image. you will know if it is overheated because the image will look flat and waxy. I found the toater to be the easiest of the non heat gun items to use. Hold the paper about 1-2 inches from the top of the toaster, with the image facing up. Start with one side of the image over the heat. As soon as you see the powder start to melt, slowly move the image across the heat. don't forget to breathe. I hope this answered some questions, Happy stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Embosser Tool

I think I got my embossing heat tool from Michaels for MAYBE 23 bucks MAX. It is well worth it and so much fun - If 23 bucks isn't too much, I would recommend it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I'm very new, I just bought some stamps, ink and all of the other neccessary supplies, including a heat gun that I have not yet used. Now, and this question is going to sound less than smart, what is the sheet of softner for? I plan on using my heat gun tomorrow and I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. I keep thinking of differant uses for the dryer sheet but they are probably wrong. so if you can let me know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #11  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryantsammie@yahooView Post
I'm very new, I just bought some stamps, ink and all of the other neccessary supplies, including a heat gun that I have not yet used. Now, and this question is going to sound less than smart, what is the sheet of softner for? I plan on using my heat gun tomorrow and I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. I keep thinking of differant uses for the dryer sheet but they are probably wrong. so if you can let me know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
The dryer sheet (a used one), takes the place of an "embossing buddy." It helps to eliminate static so the embossing powder doesn't cling to the paper where it's not supposed to.

So first, wipe/swipe your paper with your used dryer sheet.

Then stamp your image.

Sprinkle your embossing powder over the stamped image, making sure the entire image gets covered.

Shake off the extra powder (into a tray or paper plate because you can put it back into the container and reuse it). Sometimes you will have stray bits of the embossing powder around the image even if you use an embossing body or dryer sheet. If that bothers you, use a small paint brush to whisk it away.

Heat and emboss.

Good luck and have fun playing with your new toys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Otis -

Trust me. buy the emobossing tool. Michaels (as mentioned above) has them very cheap. It's paid for itslef 10 times over. I can speak from experience having burned out not 1 but 2 blow dryers costing a heck of a lot more. And it still didn't work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi. We�ll be the blind leading the blind, because I haven�t even embossed yet, but have been reading up on it. Apparently card stock has a bit of static that can cause embossing powder to potentially stick where you don�t want it to. Rubbing a USED dryer sheet across the stock before stamping and embossing helps eliminate that static. SU also sells an Embossing Buddy that some users prefer. There may be a comparable item from a different manufacturer.

Even after using a static reducer, if you do get stray pieces of powder that have to be removed before heating, use a small, dry, pointy paintbrush. Using your nail and other items may smear the powder � permanently.

Hope this helps. The more experienced stampers here will hopefully correct me and/or add other useful information.

Good luck! When I get caught up at work and DS goes back to school next week, I plan to try this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow--thanks to all of you for the great tips! I bought some embossing powder months ago, but was afraid to take the plunge. Now I feel like I can at least try!! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I tried other heat sources finally bought a heat gun soooooooo worth the money!!! I got mine at ACMoore using the 40% off coupon so it was just about $20. I also tried the dryer sheets to reduce static and didn't have much luck with it, ended up having stray powder on the card and while trying to brush it off i've ruined quite a few cards. It's worth the investment to get an embossing buddy or store equivalent ( I got mine at michaels, sorry I forget the exact brand name) and I was able to use my coupon there as well getting it for 40% off. As with most crafts the right tools make a big difference in both frustration and final results. You'll be hooked once you get the hang of it.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to use my toaster too. Just hold it above and not to close or it will "toast" your paper. Also the dryer sheets do work better used !

Runs with decorative scissors!

View My Blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis123View Post

THANKS.
Any heat source that can be safely used to melt the powder is suitable...the list includes mug warmers, toasters (including toaster ovens), irons, electric fry pan and light bulb. However, most of these are not exactly without some problems. Waaaaay back in the old days when I started stamping, toasters were often used (the paper was held, embossing powder side up, over a toaster with the temp handle pushed down to dark toast). One day, I let some of the powder fall into the toaster, and the resulting flare up convinced me it was heat gun time.

I don't recommend using a paint stripper; those guys reach temps up to 1100 degrees (instant paper fire) which can warp many papers and overheat the powder.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-29-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Removed blog link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Well, I started with a toaster - but I'm not a very patient person. So my DH lost his paintstripper - now it is a basic tool in my hobby-room for more than 5 years. I use it quite often, never burned something - to me it is a safe tool.
Thx for the tip with the used dryer-sheet, I usually use a fine-tipped paint-brush, but the use of the dryer-sheet sounds easier to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Default embossing tip

I hate those loose flecks that I used to get when embossing. Even when swiping with a dryer sheet or using a little paintbrush. To eliminate the entire problem I've switched from using colored powders to always using a clear embossing powder and a colored ink. Much better- those specks don't show up now.
If you have a limited selection of pigment inks, you can make any ink embossable by first stamping on a versamark pad, then stamping into your colored ink, then stamp to your paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I started out with aluminum foil over the bottom of my iron and heated the paper from underneath. I have also used a mug warmer but I have to agree that a heat tool is best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Default A toaster

i know this is an old thread but just incase anyone ever needs a household appliance to emboss, a toaster works perfectly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 03:18 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to add, you can make your own embossing buddy. All you need is a small sock,like a baby sock, or trainer sock, and cornflour- I *think* what you call cornstarch. You can also use talc, but I know a lot of people are trying to avoid that. Just add a couple of large spoonfuls to the sock, and either tie in a knot, or secure with stitching, or even an elastic band.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 07:36 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Just to add, you can make your own embossing buddy. All you need is a small sock,like a baby sock, or trainer sock, and cornflour- I *think* what you call cornstarch. You can also use talc, but I know a lot of people are trying to avoid that. Just add a couple of large spoonfuls to the sock, and either tie in a knot, or secure with stitching, or even an elastic band.

Yes, cornstarch. In the U.S. corn flour is a flour made from corn, is yellow, and often used for coating some foods for frying or in some recipes. IOW it’s a flour like wheat flour is. Cornstarch is bright white and used for thickening.

Talc works but some contains asbestos and even if it doesn’t, there are questions: Talcum Powder and Cancer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first started embossing, I too, used the toaster with tongs. After awhile I purchased a heat gun and have enjoyed using it. And my husband was always borrowing it to use in his shop. One day at Hobby Lobby I used my 40% off coupon on a new heat gun just for his shop. He was tickled and I did not have to go outside to look for my gun in all kinds of weather! Happy New Year to all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

If you use a 40, 50, or 60% off coupon, a heat tool isn't going to cost a whole lot. Also, see if local scrapbook stores have "garage" sales, where people bring their used items to sell. Check Craig's list for craft items. Ask a friend to let you use their heat tool, or craft together so you can try it.

Once you have one, you'll find it's nice for heat setting wet inks, drying pieces that use a water technique, etc. It's worth having.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with Pat - and just be careful if using Craig’s List or similar on-line sites. Scams exist, and there have been attacks and robberies. Some police stations around the country (U.S.) have set up monitored “safe trade stations” for on-line buying/selling.
Reply With Quote Likes