Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone use only SU products?

Just curious if anyone uses products only from SU? If you are a demo it would seem hard to buy from other companies expecially if you have a limited budget.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tend to use mostly SU products. I am a demo and I do find that it is hard to spend money on other products even though I want them! I would love some Gina K sets.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I only use Stampin UP paper, Ink and markers........

I have mostly Stamping up stamps.....but have others too!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I use SU! only. I am a demo so it makes the most sense to buy product from me, but it's also because I am very happy with SU! product. I love the fact that my inks are going to coordinate perfectly with my card stock, with my ribbon, with my Designer Series Paper, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 95% SU, especially the stamps. I like rubber. And nothing else feels quite right! TBS, I do have the odd 'other' stamp but very few.

I like Bazzill CS, but now that SU carries textured, I am getting that and as I have all the inks, it makes sense to get the cardstock; I just love the textured. When I run out of something, there is an LSS in my town so I can quickly get a sheet or two of something close.

I am not a demo. I should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to try to use only SU but there are so many other products that I love that I cannot be exclusive. I love the Papertrey and I am collecting it all...their paper is awesome and I love the Pallette Inks and ribbons they have....So yummy. I also love TAC stamps to I have a ton of those.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I'm not a demo, but I use mostly SU products. I have drawers full of stamps from other companies, but for now, SU just seems to be very convenient for me. I love the paper and ink, and I love the idea of sets. There are no LSS where I live, so my catalog is my best friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Only Stampin' Up! for me! I love their products!

Diane

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure I could limit myself to only one company. There are so many wonderful stamps and products out there that the temptation is just too much to resist. Looking through the gallery is so much fun now because of all the diversity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

99% of my stamps are SU and a good number of my punches are SU. Beyond that I'm a "dog from every town" type of stamper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I use SU almost exclusively for cardstock and inks. I prefer BasicGrey for designer papers and have a wide variety of stamps with probably 50% of them being Stampin' Up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm an equal opportunity stamper, I love lots of companies. For paper, I like the match of SU! colors, but also like the quality of PTI and they have matching ribbon and ink too. SU! has some neat punches that match their stamps, but you can't beat nesties for variety of sizes and shapes. Stamps-I have at least a dozen different companies I like. All of this is why I'm NOT a demo.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I am 97% SU! and don't really want anything else.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I love SU products and use them exclusively! I'm so excited that I no longer have to wonder if my card stock will match my ink, ribbons, designer paper, brads, etc. Color coordination rules!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a demo and use 95% SU. I love how the inks and papers all coordinate. But that is why I have been buying the paper and ink from papertrey. I prefer rubber and mounted, but space is an issue, so I have now decided to take the leap of unmounting some of my retired sets. Most of this is due to Unity Stamps. I love the blocks they have. They are the best of both worlds, ability to see where you are stamping but the edges are wood so it still feels like a wood mounted stamp. There are so many great company's out there and as much as I love SU, they cannot carry everything or be everything to everybody. So I spread the love and buy what I like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Only when I have to. I love my cuttlebug, and I'm sorry but I got mine as soon as they came out, I love it, have a major investment in the folders that I love, and I love using it. Most of my stamps are from SU as I am a demo, I would not use any other paper for cardstock, and almost entirely their inks. SU decides to get into other things AFTER they are proven successes for other companies. For example, the die cut systems. So I don't think those things will ever be great successes for them, because they don't come out with them soon enough to catch people before they already purchase them from somewhere else. KWIM?? In other words, I doubt I make the big investment on the BIG SHOT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I only used Stampin' Up stuff I would really be limiting myself in creativity. I use many different kinds of products in my crafting. Stampin' Up is very limited in what they carry. Yes, I do have many items from them, but use them in coordination with the many other craft items I have.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I don't use any SU products. Mainly because I don't know where to get them, I don't want to have a "party" to earn them, and from what I can see of their catalog - well, they don't strike me as anything outrageously unique or "must have". There are so many other online available sources out there, that for now I don't feel the need for SU products. I'm an avid sewer, and years ago I swore that Janome sewing machines were "the one and only for me". I was sooooooo brand loyal. Many years later, I have now discovered that limiting myself to one brand of machine was well, very limiting.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll fall in love with SU. But if a product can't be bought online or a store I won't bother with it. Too much hassle, when there are just as many good products out there that I can buy at midnight online.

Oddly enough, I did contact a SU demo that lives a few blocks from me, just to see what makes this brand so special. So far, I haven't heard back from her - so at this point I will just make do without SU. I'm sure my cards will be just as unique and creative using my other stamps,inks, cardstock, and embellishments.

Just my 2 cents, - but in this day and age, brand loyalty to one brand of rubber stamp? - I don't think so. However if I could just find an easy way to purchase the durn stamps I might change my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Well, I don't use any SU products. Mainly because I don't know where to get them, I don't want to have a "party" to earn them, and from what I can see of their catalog - well, they don't strike me as anything outrageously unique or "must have". There are so many other online available sources out there, that for now I don't feel the need for SU products. I'm an avid sewer, and years ago I swore that Janome sewing machines were "the one and only for me". I was sooooooo brand loyal. Many years later, I have now discovered that limiting myself to one brand of machine was well, very limiting.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll fall in love with SU. But if a product can't be bought online or a store I won't bother with it. Too much hassle, when there are just as many good products out there that I can buy at midnight online.

Oddly enough, I did contact a SU demo that lives a few blocks from me, just to see what makes this brand so special. So far, I haven't heard back from her - so at this point I will just make do without SU. I'm sure my cards will be just as unique and creative using my other stamps,inks, cardstock, and embellishments.

Just my 2 cents, - but in this day and age, brand loyalty to one brand of rubber stamp? - I don't think so. However if I could just find an easy way to purchase the durn stamps I might change my mind.
Unfortunately, some demo's don't respond right away, but others do. You can find a demo through the locator on www.stampinup.com. You can search the galleries using keyword SUO and see projects made with only SU--that will give you an idea of some of the product. Obviously, I'm totally biased, but I think if you actually tried some of the SU! product, you would like it.

We are getting online ordering sometime this fall. The best way to do this will be through a demo's SU! website (not their blog). Again, on the demo locator, you will find demos in your area that have the website. Or you can look at the SUO gallery--my guess is a lot of the posts there are made by demos.

Last edited by 3boysstampin'; 08-25-2008 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: for a misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I use SU! only. I do have Stickles, but I always forget and I almost never use them. I only have SU! stamps, cardstock, ink, ribbon, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I started with SU! and that was all I had. I branched out a bit and then a few months ago went back to using exclusively SU! products. It's just a personal preference. It's not that I don't like other companies products, it's just that SU! is what I have readily available. Plus I love my discount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post

I'm sorry that this was your experience. I do know that they will be offering online ordering 24/7 starting this fall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I think people have different definitions of creativity. To me creativity is about making beautiful projects out of limited supplies, as opposed to limitless supplies. That's why the limited supplies challenge is one of my favorites here on SCS.

I'm also the walking epitome of the "Paradox of choice" - a phrase used by a Harvard psychologist who found in studies that instead of making people happier, giving them lots of choices actually made them more unhappy. I know for me personally having to make buying decisions among lots of different brands of stamping products (which were often very hard for me to coordinate) caused me stress and resulted in a lot of poor buying decisions, which caused yet more stress. The poor buying decisions also meant I felt I had to go out and buy more, which started the cycle of negativity all over again. So limiting myself to SU products actually really helped me be happier with my stamping.

I know I'm not a stamping artist like some of the members here, but that's OK with me. I stamp primarily for the relaxation aspect of it, so I'd rather be less creative and more relaxed than vice versa.

But we are all different, and there beautiful thing about stamping is that there are enough companies out there to accomodate everyone's needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I started out using only SU and then branched out with ordering stamps. Now that I've found PTI, I order their paper, ink and ribbons each month. I hope to eventually use only PTI paper. It's the best I've found! I haven't bought any SU items for almost seven months and don't miss it a bit.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I used to use SU almost exclusively. I was a hobby demo for about 6 years and could not afford to buy from all the companies I liked. But to be honest, I really started to get bored with SU's stamps.

I do prefer the cardstock colors and the ink. Although I use other brands of ink for black and brown when stamping an image I want to color.

I also like their markers. I have yet to see any DP released by SU that I had to have. I love Basic Grey and Cosmo Cricket. I bought the Soft Sky DP when it first was available and it does not match my Soft Sky card stock. I found that to be very frustrating and have not ordered any DP from them since.

I do like all of the in-colors introduced so far. It is a shame they are available for a limited time. I will be trying to find the same colors from another company when I run out of my current stock.

In the past SU sold stamps based on value. I prefer my stamps mounted on EZMount and have found that there are other companies that sell deeply etched rubber stamps at a better price than SU. And the quality is the same. Since I've left SU and branched out I am addicted to Gina K Designs stamps. Excellent quality and price.

It really comes down to what you prefer. There is so much variety out there. That is what I really love about this hobby.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I have scrapbooked and made cards for years.... back when there were only 17 pages of items on ebay for sale and they didn't even have their own categories! I have an entire large room full of scrapbooking and card making items. After becoming a stampin up demonstrator I have realized that I can cut down my paper stash by using just what Stampin' UP! offers. I'm trying to use up my other paper right now and get frustrated when it takes me so long to match cardstock to it that is not stampin up. So, I will be able to do more with less and quicker! Lots of us have gotten our own web sites for ease of purchasing starting later this fall. And stampin up's designer paper is to die for this year! There are so many fun patterns and the catalog tells you which cardstock colors match. I love the matchy matchy! So, I'm not going to throw away what I already have but I'm certainly looking forward to scaling back and owning 99% stampin up things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't imagine using only one company for anything. I get bored much too easy. I love all kinds of different stamps from all different companies (especially the more realistic ones, like from beeswax.com). I'm not fond of SUs ink pads (they all bow in the middle), but I have tons of other brands. I like their markers, but again I use some Tombow, some Marvy, etc. I have some designer paper from Stampin Up', but really prefer CTMH & TAC papers. I use cardstock from many places, but prefer Marco's the best. I don't use just ink, ribbons, etc. on my cards though. I use watercolor pencils, tubes, Twinks, Stamp Zia's sprays; and I love chalks, pastels, oil pastels, crayons, color pencils, lumiere paint, mm paints, caligraphy ink, and on and on and on. Love CTMHs paper and cardstock, not so fond of their stamps. Love all of TAC products. Love choices!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I would say 90% of my crafting supplies are SU. I prefer wood mounted stamps, which makes SU a plus, and I like their ink and cardstock the best. I also like their punches better than anything I've bought previously.

However, this past weekend I did purchase a Cuttlebug, 2 embossing folders, and 2 sets of Nestabilities. Obviously none of these come from SU. Also, the majority of my sentiment stamps come from my LSS, because it seems like SU rarely has a set where I would use every stamp in the set. For example, the All Holidays set on page 142, I really like several of the stamps in that set, but I don't send out Halloween and Easter cards, and I no longer have a father to make Father's Day cards. It's hard to justify paying over $30 for a set unless I'm going to use every stamp in it.

I have been spending time looking at other stamps companies on line, and have seen a few things that interest me, but I haven't actually ordered from elsewhere yet.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started stamping before there was SU and had to order most of my stamps via the mail. (catalogs were free then). I like the variety of different companies and sometimes like to stamp some 'off the wall' cards and really like stampscapes too! Couldn't live without the small stamps like Rosies Roadshow, Amuse and Savvy. I just started in a SU workshop with a friend and love it. I like the coordinating colors, cardstock and pads. My SU demo is so friendly and knowlegable (sp?) and the women in the workshop are alot of fun! I like it all. About 80-85% of my stamping stuff is other than SU. But that may change now I'm in the workshop!! Bring it on!! Thanks to the people I have met via SCS and the fascinating blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use mostly SU but do have some favorites from other companies as well!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I like SU products and I own many sets, but I would never be able to limit myself to just one company. That is the main reason why I am not a demo. SU has lots that I like, but they sure don't have everything I want/need in a stamp. And I can get just as much joy out of a $1 stamp in a store bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Me, not so much.

I love the papers and decorative cs, the stamps I can leave or take, I have a few sets, but prefer to think I can get what I want in images and save money with coupons. Too bad SU does't give 40% off!

Stamp Happy

-- join my altered coaster swap the info is in my siggy line!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I would say I have 25% SU and 75% other. I think everything I buy from Stampin Up is very high quality. I think SU embellishments and tools are higher priced than the competition, but you're paying for the better quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Im an Equal Opportunity Stamper. I shop everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I'm also the walking epitome of the "Paradox of choice" - a phrase used by a Harvard psychologist who found in studies that instead of making people happier, giving them lots of choices actually made them more unhappy. I know for me personally having to make buying decisions among lots of different brands of stamping products (which were often very hard for me to coordinate) caused me stress and resulted in a lot of poor buying decisions, which caused yet more stress. The poor buying decisions also meant I felt I had to go out and buy more, which started the cycle of negativity all over again. So limiting myself to SU products actually really helped me be happier with my stamping.
I do like variety but this is very interesting. I have often found myself feeling overwhelmed by all the crafting choices. I have also spent so much money on stamping stuff. This is why I asked this question. When I was looking over the new catalog I realized that SU has just about everything you need to create beautiful cards/papercrafts. Of course there are things such as the Cuttlebug and Nestabilities that you could add. They really do have all the bases covered. I guess however this could also be said for other companies such as CTMH but you'd have to like clear stamps.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

I am transitioning to SU! Only. As a relatively new demo, I have been increasing my supply stash. As far as my obscene amount of paper, I am in the process of inventorying it and will likely just list it here on BST rather than attempt to sell it on the 'bay. (Were talking full packs of DCWV paper). My non-SU stamps have been slowly migrating to my son's school. His class loves playing with the stamps and his teacher's appreciate the washable ink.

I like the sticking with one brand idea as it is so much easier to coordinate products & colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

your getting quite a few opinions on this topic. I fell in love with this site, and then the SU color combo challenges, so prefer to use their cardstock
except for the white; otherwise, I'm could never contain myself to one company and of course, I'm not a demo.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

I'm an SU hobby demo. For several years, I only used SU! I love their color coordination, great quality, and stamps. But the embellishment selection in the catalog has gotten "old" to me...so I started looking around. I've found so much cool stuff out there!!! I plan on always using SU! for my basics (ink, markers, paper)...and I buy as much as I can from them...but they don't sell enough! I'm surprised that you girls haven't listed RIBBON as something you use outside of what SU! sells!!! I don't know what SU! was ever thinking when they cut most of the line of ribbons.

The SU! quality is wonderful, and I really appreciate having things color coordinated for me!

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

I am also a demonstrator- have been for 7+ years and I am to the point where I use SU products 95% of the time. I do use a few other non-SU stamps, when I can't find what I'm looking for with SU as well as tools and accessories that SU does not sell. I use SU papers and inks exclusively for card making and the paper 80% of the time for scrapbooking. The largest non-SU purchases I make are Disney themed paper and embellishments for my Disney scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Whether or not I buy SU anymore depends on if they have what I want/need for a project. I'm a crafter/creative person first. At one time, SU had a ton of what I wanted but their stamp style selection has changed and they don't have the type I like much anymore. I love the color coordination, but I've been having quality issues with the pads (uneven sunken surface, ink going "bad", purple black instead of black black) and the markers (get fuzzy really fast even with careful use). I do a lot of personalized projects and I've had to go in-search of stamp images and designer papers too much anymore just to stick to SU. I also much prefer Basic Grey, K&Co plus a few others when it comes to designer paper. Even as a demo, the discount isn't much and SU's value isn't as good as it used to be. Creatively, just buying from one company is too restricting. I don't like being "forced" to be creative - like here's what you get to use, do something creative with it. I like being able to choose whatever strikes my fancy for a project, regardless of what company sells it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I use only SU! inks and solid colored cardstock.
I have a few different black inks for different uses.

I have lots of different brands of stamps and designer papers.
Still probably 50% off my stamps are SU! but I am a hobby demonstrator so I cant resist the discount on gorgeous stamps that match the papers, ribbons, etc.....
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes