Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To be or not to be....a SU! demonstrator

I've been contemplating becoming a SU! demonstrator for a long time and now that they are having the $99 special, I think it's do-able for me. However, I'm still a little worried, I don't have a ton of free time to devote to it and I'm worried about all the money I'll spend compared to what I will make. I'm interested to see if people think it's worth the investment or not.

What kind of discount do you get on products and do you have to meet quarterly sales minimums (which I could probably do on my own, haha, which is also what I'm worried about....if I get a discount when shopping I usually use that as an excuse to buy even more, haha)?

Also, I'd like to hear from people with business ideas, like tips on holding classes, class ideas, and promotion ideas.

Thanks for any help/advice anyone can give!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

If you buy at least $240 every 3 months you should do it. We get at least a 20% discount with a $300 quarterly quota ($300-20%=$240 retail). Many demos are hobby demos so you don't have to hold workshops if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not familiar with SU's policy - but is there a penalty for signing up, then let's say you just can't sell $300 in the first 3 or next 3 months and you have to quit?

If you love the product, go for it! As long as there's no penalty - there's not much to lose since I'm sure you're getting more than $99 worth on the kit. You could always sell the business supplies part of it (if there is any).

off topic - Minders, I'm in Central Illinois too. Just wanted to say hi!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Being an SU demo is THE BEST! You can totally taylor it to your needs and what kind of time you have in whatever stage of life! Minimums are $300 per quarter (but as Katestamps pointed out, that's list price - we get 20% off). We get to see things early, order things early, and SU is giving us an EXTRA 20% off all the stamps from the Minis this catalog year! It's a deal that's hard to pass up!

I joined 4 years ago just for the discount. I had NO idea I'd have people who would want to learn from me and order from me! It's SO much fun and you can totally make you what you want! AND, you can participate on the Demo side of the SCS Forums!! Just another perk!!

If you have any other questions, please PM me to ask!!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

There's no penalty if you don't make your minimums. There's even a chance to make it up the next month. But they don't ask for the kit back or anything! <G> SU can offer the Kit at such a good price because the vast majority of the gals who sign up LOVE being demos, whether it's "just for the discount", or those who make it a business, or the LARGE group of gals who are in between!

If you find just one or two family members to buy from you to help make your minimums, it's easy! And if you spend that much already yourself, then you don't even have to find anyone else! But if you're excited about it, that excitement is contagious. I had two friends over as guinea pigs to see if I could teach them how to stamp. That went well, so I had an "Open House" and they were ALL here when it started because they wanted to get every single piece of info I could give them - none of them had really stamped before, so everything they learned I taught them. 4 years later, the same gals are still coming, and bringing their friends. I do mostly Stamp Camps at my house, but I do do a few workshops a year. There's LOTS of ways of being a demo and you can totally taylor it to what works for YOU!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know if you can afford it, but I would seriously consider the full kit rather than the special.

You get far more than an extra $100 worth of extra products and since you get to choose your stamp sets it is really worth it. Especially if you signup while they are offering the free stamp set of any value with the full priced kit.

I know the $99 kit sounds tempting, but I really don't think it is worth it.

That being said I have just moved and am trying to start up my business as a demo, but I really enjoy it. I do spend far more than I make, but the reality for me is it is money that I would be spending anyways, I don't ever buy something just to demo that I would not buy anyways.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #7  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Check the demo locator extensively (by putting in addresses from all over your county) and estimate how many business demos are in your area. The number of demos is a problem in some areas. Check out the other companies too if you feel there are too many other demos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I don't know if you can afford it, but I would seriously consider the full kit rather than the special.
I have to agree. I signed up a couple of weeks ago and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my start up kit. I went for the original $199 sign up deal, even though they were offering the $99 deal. It just had so much more stuff in it that I knew I would need anyway. It was just the better deal, in my opinion.

Stella
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #9  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyteecherView Post
I have to agree. I signed up a couple of weeks ago and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my start up kit. I went for the original $199 sign up deal, even though they were offering the $99 deal. It just had so much more stuff in it that I knew I would need anyway. It was just the better deal, in my opinion.
There's also the extra free set that you can choose with the $199 original kit, for anyone debating between the two.

The $99 special is great for former demos who would like to get back into it and have most of the additional products, or for customers looking to get in just for a discount and have a lot of product already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

If you like the product in the starter kit and can afford it, to me there's no downside to signign up as a demo. There is no penalty if you decide to drop for whatever reason, and anything you purchase at a discount before you drop is yors to keep with nostrings attached. Even if you drop, you can sign up again. So really, the risk is minimal, as is the up-front investment. There aren't many business opportunities out there you can say that about.

One important thing to consider is your upline. You want to choose someone who will provide you with the appropriate level of support, especially if you'd like to run a business. Stampin' Up! will provide you with a lot of training resources and you can get even more ideas on the demo side of SCS, but it's really nice to have a knowledgeable and helpful upline to turn to if you have questions or want to bounce off some ideas. Many people do not realize this, but you do not have to sign up with the demosntrator closest to where you live. Thatperson may be the best upline for you, but they may not be, so take a littletime and do some interviews to make sure the person you're signing up under is the right fit for you. Do a search here on "upline questions" or something equivalent and you'll find lots of threads with helpful suggestions of what to look for in an upline and what kinds of questions to ask in an upline interview.

Good luck with your new business!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I signed up in May and love it! I only have done a few shows and sell to mainly family right now. That is enough to keep my minimums. I plan to do more in the coming months. I have a few x-mas card classes for October scheduled. I found by talking SU to everyone and always carrying a book with me, I have picked up new customers easily!
I LOVE the discount! There are many more benifits than just the 20% also.
If I decide I don't like it, then I can just quit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I debated it long and hard. I'm an engineer, so I debate, research, and evaluate EVERYTHING long and hard LOL~

I decided to go for it. I'll be signing up on Oct 1 and getting the full kit. With all the stamps, stuff and extra stamp set, it's well worth the extra $100 for a relative newbie like me.

I'm waiting until Oct 1 so that my first minimum isn't due until March 09 so I can spread out the pain a little bit, KWIM?

Anyway, I have no plans to sell to anyone but myself, but I'm doing it anyway. I think it'll be great to get all the SU I want at a discount, even if it's only for a short while, like a year or so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

babydal57 has a great idea. I have two girls waiting to sign up under me at that time so they can take advantage of the free set and have until March to make their minimums.

Here's what I do in regards to spending, as it's really easy to do when you can just put the order in 24/7. I have a separate bank account. I can only spend what I make. It makes the DH happy because he doesn't see that money coming out of our joint account and it makes me happy because I get new stamps! It also keeps me in check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i've never even considered being a demo- but reading this post, it sure is tempting! the problem is, i'd really just be selling to myself. i don't know of anyone interested in taking this up! but, maybe someday i'll do it just to support my own habit. i like the idea of an account just for su! stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by duranfanView Post
i've never even considered being a demo- but reading this post, it sure is tempting! the problem is, i'd really just be selling to myself. i don't know of anyone interested in taking this up! but, maybe someday i'll do it just to support my own habit. i like the idea of an account just for su! stuff!
There's nothing wrong with signing up just for yourself! A person signing up for the Standard Starter Kit on October 1st would have until the end of March to make her first $300 quota. That's six months (works that way because Oct. 1 is the start of a new quarter and the end of March is the end of the next), not counting the one month pending period if you didn't make the quota. That's over $400 worth of stamps and supplies (only $65 of which are business supplies), seven months (inc. pending month) of the ability to order at a discount, seven months of our monthly magazine, a complimentary new catalog in January, access to online helps/templates, etc.

It surprises me that people might NOT want to take that deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

sharon! you are such an enabler! i may talk to my consultant about it. for now, i really can't spend $240 a quarter, but i easily could by march. can i sign up, but then quit?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

sharon! you are such an enabler! i may talk to my consultant about it. for now, i really can't spend $240 a quarter, but i easily could by march. can i sign up, but then quit?
Yup, happens all the time.

BTW, I define "enabling" as getting someone to do something that may not be in their best interests. I think signing up and saving money IS in someone's best interests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

When I first signed up I didn't know if I'd be able to meet the minimums. I started with a few customers who did that for me and slowly I've been adding more and more on along the way. I work at a pace that is good for me and my family, but I keep plugging along. When I started I didn't own any SU! stuff and now I'm addicted to it.

The best part of if is for me, all of the people I have met and become friends with along the way.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I'm also waiting for Oct 1 to sign up as a demo! All I can think about lately is making stuff for classes. Too bad UPS still hasn't arrived with my goodies! I figured I'd have 1-2 months to play around before I fully commit to signing up as a demo. I'm really hoping that I can find a few ladies (mostly my MIL and her friends) to sign up for a club and let them take care of my mins. So excited!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, I have been debating this too...so question for you all...

The 199 kit... I read you can substitute equal or lesser value items. Does that count for everything in the kit? Is that just the stamp sets? Can I substitute for example paper and get another set that I like more than the brights? Or I have 2 versamark pads already...can I substitute some other ink pad that is equal or lesser value?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiorabbitView Post
Oh, I have been debating this too...so question for you all...

The 199 kit... I read you can substitute equal or lesser value items. Does that count for everything in the kit? Is that just the stamp sets? Can I substitute for example paper and get another set that I like more than the brights? Or I have 2 versamark pads already...can I substitute some other ink pad that is equal or lesser value?
You can substitute stamps for stamps, Classic pads for Classic pads and paper for paper. In other words, as far as non-stamps go, you can change colors to suit you. You cannot substitute for the wheel handle, pastels, SNAIL, rubber scissors, scrub, mist, Versamark pad or Blender Pens.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5View Post
You can substitute stamps for stamps, Classic pads for Classic pads and paper for paper. In other words, as far as non-stamps go, you can change colors to suit you. You cannot substitute for the wheel handle, pastels, SNAIL, rubber scissors, scrub, mist, Versamark pad or Blender Pens.

Hope that helps.
Yep. That totally helps! Thanks! Sounds like the only thing I don't want and cannot substitute is the versamark, but I am sure I could find a home for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

here is my concern- i definitely would not expect to make money, 'cuz i seriously know of noone interested in getting involved. i have a few out-of-town friends i scrapbook with occasionally, but no one else i know even scrapbooks (to my knowledge). i know there is a consultant locator on the su! site. does that ever bring in a customer?

we have an extremely tight budget, and i have more stuff than i could possible use! stuff is constantly falling over in my scrapbook cabinet! and, i don't have a lot of time for it. there are so many pages/cards i'd like to do, if only i had the time (did a lot over the summer).

i'm just worried that i'd only be doing it to "feed my greed". but, i may do it anyway. we have a small 'pocket money' amount each week. maybe for 6 mths, i just do this, then quit (unless i find some customers)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

The Demo Locator is really in place for customers to locate a demo, not as a benefit for helping demos locate customers. Having said that, however, there is an occasional lead. And online ordering is coming soon and a demo can opt in to be in a pool so that a random order could go to her (she would make much less than if the customer had been her customer). We don't really know all the ins and outs of that yet though, other than it is coming "in the fall".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiorabbitView Post
Yep. That totally helps! Thanks! Sounds like the only thing I don't want and cannot substitute is the versamark, but I am sure I could find a home for it.
If you decide to work it as a business, you'd end up using it. I'm sure it would not go to waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About the versamark. Just keep it sealed. You'll use it eventually!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I will tell you the other side. I was going to sign up but then decided against it. There are tons of demos in my area, I have 6 within 10 minutes of me including my upline. There are tons in the area and I don't want to be locked into spending 300.00 per quarter for stamp products when I can just buy what I need when I want to. And one more thing, it is not 240.00 per quarter because if you are a hobby demo, you have to pay tax and shipping, so it evens out to 300.00 per quarter. Now if you know you will have customers to help you, then that is a different scenario, but for me, they are all taken already and my family does not craft at all. Oh and I think the demo locator is set up so that people with sites will get the reference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
I will tell you the other side. I was going to sign up but then decided against it. There are tons of demos in my area, I have 6 within 10 minutes of me including my upline. There are tons in the area and I don't want to be locked into spending 300.00 per quarter for stamp products when I can just buy what I need when I want to. And one more thing, it is not 240.00 per quarter because if you are a hobby demo, you have to pay tax and shipping, so it evens out to 300.00 per quarter. Now if you know you will have customers to help you, then that is a different scenario, but for me, they are all taken already and my family does not craft at all. Oh and I think the demo locator is set up so that people with sites will get the reference.
I'm on this side too. I became a demo in Feb. and waited for the new catalog to see if I was going to continue. I made a final order but it was only for 1 stamp set and mostly paper, punches. I was not impressed with stamp sets offerered in the last 2 catalogs and have decided to let my demoship lapse. I think I'm better off in my uplines monthly clubs at a cost of $15 a month. the demo kit was a good deal though and my first order at 30% was good. But the 20% off turns into 10% after taxes and shipping and that's not a good enough deal for me to stay. But if a hobby demo has help making the minimums, that makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

If the budget is tight and you dont need all the supplies, maybe one of the demos in your area who is a hobby demo will let you use her discount?

I had a couple of people offer that to me and it just helps the hobby demo meet mins. If she cant spend enough to meet mins, then you would be helping her keep her demo status and you would benefit from the discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

i've thought about it, and i probably won't do it. but, i don't have the catalog yet, and i hear it's fabulous! i'll get it friday. if there's a ton of stuff i like, then maybe. but really, i just don't need anymore stuff. i'd do it if i thought i'd have some actual customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I think my demo is just happy that I am staying a customer and placing regular orders for her. Helps her meet minimums and I am not locked in. I am happier that way also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

I think everyone has to do what's best for them. This is a great time to sign up with the sign up special going on. If you find that you are purchasing a lot of SU merchandise each quarter, then you might want to sign up so that you are buying from yourself, rather than someone else. That's why a lot of my downline joined. Usally the 'business' side of SU comes later. And yes, we as demonstrators make more having customers who purchase large amounts so somtime we would rather they not be our downline. So there's nothing wrong with staying a good customer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
About the versamark. Just keep it sealed. You'll use it eventually!
Yep -- the very first time a workshop guest takes a stamp that was just used in Real Red and plants it right in the middle of your Versamark pad, you'll be glad you have the nice, clean one in your stash for personal use! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

i'm gonna sign up with the $99 special. i've been putting aside tip money all week. i was already a demo (and have tons and tons of stamps), so i think the mini kit will be perfect.
it has the basics, right? just one stamp set and then all the extras (stampin scrub, stampin mist, etc), right?
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

here is my concern- i definitely would not expect to make money, 'cuz i seriously know of noone interested in getting involved. i have a few out-of-town friends i scrapbook with occasionally, but no one else i know even scrapbooks (to my knowledge). i know there is a consultant locator on the su! site. does that ever bring in a customer?
Don't discount people as potential out of the gate. When I first started 7+ years ago, I delveloped a letter introducing everyone to my new business and inviting them to help be get launched by holding a small workshop with family and frineds I might not know. I sent that letter out to just about everyone-family and friends from my Chrsitmas card list, neightbors, by son's teacher etc. This included acquaitences. From this group I got my first workshops-one from my son's teacher who I had only met at one parent/teacher conference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
And one more thing, it is not 240.00 per quarter because if you are a hobby demo, you have to pay tax and shipping, so it evens out to 300.00 per quarter.
I would just point out that if you buy the same $300 worth of product as a customer you are also paying tax and shipping.

I think the best way to look at this, if you are considering signing up strictly for a discount is to consider your current spending habits and your future spending habits. If you consistenty purchase $300 worth of SU every 3 months, then signing up may be a good decision. If you don't reguarly spend this much AND you either (1) don't want to have classes, workshops, etc, and/or (2) you don't have anyone else who will help you make the quarterly minimums, then you probably should not sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleyprughView Post
i'm gonna sign up with the $99 special. i've been putting aside tip money all week. i was already a demo (and have tons and tons of stamps), so i think the mini kit will be perfect.
it has the basics, right? just one stamp set and then all the extras (stampin scrub, stampin mist, etc), right?

No extras. One stamp set up to $30.95, one ink pad, one pack of assorted colored cardstock, one pack of white cardstock (you can sub these items) and a pack of SNAIL.

No Versamark, no Stampin' Scrub, no scissors, etc. Just the above and the same business supplies as the regular kit.

There are two other $99 kits--Scrapbook (alphabet up to $40.95, classic ink pad & Simply Scrappin' kit) and Decor Elements kit.

You can see the details at www.stampinup.com :
http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/11544.asp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

it's a "no go" for me (at least for the moment). i dont' generally spend $300 a year, much less a quarter! plus, i really don't havet he need for anymore ink pads! if they were to do this type thing again in spring, i may bite. i'm off work in the summer, so i have more time to play with my stamps. i'd have time right now (i'm off this afternoon) if i'd get off this puter:rolleyes: i think i'll stick with giving my "wishlist" to my consultant, and get stuff for Christmas/bday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
If you buy at least $240 every 3 months you should do it. We get at least a 20% discount with a $300 quarterly quota ($300-20%=$240 retail). Many demos are hobby demos so you don't have to hold workshops if you don't want to.
So can you tell me what happens if you don't make the quarterly minimum? And you get access to the SU! website for ideas and like monthy magazines right?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
So can you tell me what happens if you don't make the quarterly minimum? And you get access to the SU! website for ideas and like monthy magazines right?

Thanks!
you go into pending. you have one month to make up for what you missed that quarter and then you have to put $100 towards that quarter.
say you only had $180 in sales that quarter. you'd need $220 to get out of pending. make sense?

and yes, while you're a demo, you have access to the demo side of the SU! website. and you get a monthly magazine.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes