Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Shipping Time?

I'm starting to get really irritated with SU. My demo put an order in for me last Thursday and it's still not here. I really thought it would be here by now at the very latest. I'm in Ohio and I understand that it has to come from Utah, but it's been over a week and I paid $15 for shipping (I think - my demo never gives me an itemized receipt, but my order was $150, and I think we have to pay 10% shipping, right?). The only other company I really order from is Papertrey and I've NEVER had an issue like this with them, and I always get free shipping because I spend the minimum for it. I'm a lot closer to them, but even so, charging me $15 for shipping and then not having it be here over a week later is unacceptable. Has anyone else had shipping issues with SU recently?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

It says on the Stampin' Up! website how many days it's taking to pick. I haven't checked but it was 3-4 picking days. Stampin' Up! has also sent us a notice about the unexpected high amount of orders they're having. Sorry if your demo didn't let you know this.

I'm in Ohio also, and it takes a week for me to get packages from UPS if Stampin' Up! is able to pick and ship the same day. So depending on the time that your demo placed the order last Thursday, I don't think this is unacceptable.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

So if my demo puts in an order on Thursday, it won't even leave Utah until the following Wednesday (I'm assuming they don't work weekends)? That's definitely unacceptable to me, especially for what SU charges for shipping. I also don't understand why I get no communication about what's going on with my order. Does my demo get a tracking number and she's just not giving it to me? Because I never get anything like that (even when I had another demo), even though all my SU packages come from UPS, so there should be a tracking # available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

The new catalog was very well received last week and they have received way more orders than they anticipated so the picking times are unusually long. In regards to the tracking number your demo will get a tracking number, so just ask it for it. I'm sure she'll let you know what it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Because of the new catalog, SU is working OT having been slammed with new orders, and from what I've read, orders placed on 8/14-15 were just being shipped out today.

This is an unusual circumstance, and should be cleared up I would hope soon. Though SUs lack of foresight in expecting a new catalog to generate a lot of business is frustrating, I agree.

Demos do get tracking orders once SU gives the pkg to UPS, but sometimes all it says is that...that UPS has the package. Sometimes it will take a day before it shows UPS has begun shipping.

If it were me, I'd definitely call my demo and find out what she knows...she should be able to tell you something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts

The SU goal is to deliver orders in 7 to 10 WORKING days (UPS does not deliver on Saturday or Sunday). If your orders are taking longer, please talk to your demonstrator! And yes, once the order has shipped we get a tracking number that we can share with those who ordered.

For your timeline: if your Demo placed the order Thursday night, the next Friday would be Day 1, then following Friday would be Day 6, and the following Thursday would be Day 10.

HTH!

Last edited by gaylestamps; 08-22-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not impressed with SU's shipping time either. It always takes at least 2 weeks for any of my orders to come it. Maybe that isn't too long for most people to wait, but I am really impatient!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

My demo told me up front : 2 weeks. she placed my order on the 15th and told me yesterday that it had shipped and she would let me know when to expect it as soon as she got the tracking info.

To be honest,with it being a brand new catalog... LATER than normal..I am actually surprised they are getting them out as fast as they are.

so no, I don't think it's unreasonable to still be waiting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

If you're in Oklahoma, and it's taking you 2 weeks to get a package...There's something wrong.

I can understand right now, because they've made it very clear to us demos about the lengthy picky times, and I've passed that information on to my customers.

Yes, demos do get a tracking number once an order is shipped.

SIBILANCE>>What I'm saying is that depending on the picking days is when your order will be shipped. If it's 3-4 picking days, and you placed it late Thursday....It won't be picked until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I think Stampin' Up! is very reasonable with their shipping costs at 10%. I know from mailing out items myself, it can get pricey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
My demo told me up front : 2 weeks. she placed my order on the 15th and told me yesterday that it had shipped and she would let me know when to expect it as soon as she got the tracking info.

To be honest,with it being a brand new catalog... LATER than normal..I am actually surprised they are getting them out as fast as they are.

so no, I don't think it's unreasonable to still be waiting.
As excited as I am to get my order, I don't think it is unreasonable either. Especially with the amount of orders they had coming in. When I place an order, it takes a full week from when it ships to get to me. Always has. As a demo, I don't forward the tracking number to my customers. I simply tell them when it shipped and when to expect it, but I always wait a day or two to make sure that the order hasn't been rerouted or anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
It says on the Stampin' Up! website how many days it's taking to pick. I haven't checked but it was 3-4 picking days. Stampin' Up! has also sent us a notice about the unexpected high amount of orders they're having. Sorry if your demo didn't let you know this.

I'm in Ohio also, and it takes a week for me to get packages from UPS if Stampin' Up! is able to pick and ship the same day. So depending on the time that your demo placed the order last Thursday, I don't think this is unacceptable.
Oh, and don't forget that those are BUSINESS days, since the distribution center isn't open on weekends -- those folks deserve time to rest and recharge, too, especially after dealing with the thousands of orders that the Riverton facility processes on a DAILY basis!

I got to tour the building when I went to Convention and saw the picking line. HOLY COW that place is GINORMOUS!!!! Kudos to the folks who work tirelessly every day to get our stamping goodies to us!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Oh, and don't forget that those are BUSINESS days, since the distribution center isn't open on weekends -- those folks deserve time to rest and recharge, too, especially after dealing with the thousands of orders that the Riverton facility processes on a DAILY basis!

I got to tour the building when I went to Convention and saw the picking line. HOLY COW that place is GINORMOUS!!!! Kudos to the folks who work tirelessly every day to get our stamping goodies to us!
I forgot to mention that! Thanks for reminding me!

I saw photos of the plant, and it is amazing how they do it all.

The other day on the news I was watching a segment on UPS, and how a package travels through their system. So wild!

I know we all want our new toys fast, but I think sometimes that people forget what a busy time this is for Stampin' Up! and what a large company it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I'm starting to get really irritated with SU. My demo put an order in for me last Thursday and it's still not here. I really thought it would be here by now at the very latest. I'm in Ohio and I understand that it has to come from Utah, but it's been over a week and I paid $15 for shipping (I think - my demo never gives me an itemized receipt, but my order was $150, and I think we have to pay 10% shipping, right?). The only other company I really order from is Papertrey and I've NEVER had an issue like this with them, and I always get free shipping because I spend the minimum for it. I'm a lot closer to them, but even so, charging me $15 for shipping and then not having it be here over a week later is unacceptable. Has anyone else had shipping issues with SU recently?
First of all, you should get a reciept, ask your demo for one. As far as the shipping rate goes, yes it seems high, but it is comparable to other places. IComparing Papertrey and SU is like comparing apples and oranges. They are two totally different size companies. I also try to aim for the free shipping anytime I can and have decided against ordering from a few places because the shipping was way out of line. (In my opinion.) But that is one of the reasons I like to order from Papertrey and Gina K for example. I love the product but add in free shipping and great customer service and you have me . As has been said, the picking times are running into the 4-5 day area. I placed a workshop order on Monday and it just started picking today, so it should ship today, which, being in NY, means I won't get it until next Friday at the earliest, maybe even Tuesday if it went out too late. I am anxious to get my new things, as are my customers, but it will be here before I know it and I try to remember that there are thousands of orders going in daily. It is hard at times to wait and I am one that wants my stuff yesterday.(That is why, I usually expedite my demo orders, but then, I pay the extra for it.) All I can say is to hang in there and you should have your new goodies soon! Btw, this isn't meant to be a grumpy or mean response, so please forgive me if it sounds snarky. It is just that I understand and share your impatience, but also have a bit of a different point of view.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

My order went in on the 16th, it got shipped on the 21st, and it will arrive on the 28th. I didn't really expect it to be any quicker but I am anxious to get all of that new stuff!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts

I just don't think 10% is high for shipping. My last JC Penny order was 16% and it took 2-1/2 weeks to get here. I suppose SU could increase their product prices 10% or more and offer free shipping - which means they would probably increase the sales level needed to achieve Hostess rewards... so I would rather they did NOT~ LOL!

One way or another, we always pay for shipping. It's just part of doing business!

Last edited by gaylestamps; 08-22-2008 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Also, keep in mind that EVERY single item is picked BY HAND by a real live person, and overall there are very few errors. These people work really hard, please have a little patience!! It will be worth the wait!!

Check out my blog: http://www.jenstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I stopped shopping at JC Penney long ago because of their terrible service, so the JC Penney story doesn't sway me. If you feel like paying 10% for shipping (or more if your order is less than $60) is good and if you think waiting two weeks to receive something is good, then I guess we just have different opinions on the subject. I'm used to not paying for shipping and being surprised by how quickly my order arrives. And no, the companies I order from don't inflate the prices. I'm thinking of Amazon, which has great prices if I need a new book, and Papertrey, where I can get a set of 27 images for $15, as opposed to SU where I just paid $16 (and that was on sale!) for a set of 6 images. It just amazes me that in this day and age, SU can survive with the way they run their business. I've been thinking about boycotting SU for a while because of their horrible business model that takes advantage of many demos and their nonexistent customer service, and this order might just be the motivation I needed to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not a demo and I have not read every single post so I am sorry if this has been said...I just wanted to say that with ANY Home Based Business (Mary Kay, Tupperware, Pampered Chef...) orders take at least 2 weeks to get. Your Demo is basically the middle man. However she should be giving you a reciept. As far as the tracking number that would go directly to the Demo not the customer. Also SU! fills Many many more orders daily along with a much larger range of products then say PTI(which I love) so their shipping would be longer than others. Wood mounted stamps are always more expensive than clear or unmounted stamps. So comparing SU! and PTI stamps is really like apples and oranges. If you compare SU! prices to say House mouse, Both are wood mounted, Su! is much less. One other thought... I would not buy from a company if I was so unhappy with them regardelss of how much I love the product.

Last edited by stigmom6; 08-22-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 158 Likes on 137 Posts

I just became a brand new demo and my order for my starter kit went in on Aug. 15th, and they sent me the tracking number yesterday informing me that it was shipped on the 21st. It's expected to arrive here on the 28th. With the high volume of orders going in after the new catty release and a lot of people taking advantage of the $99 sign up promotion, I can completely understand that it would take longer to get my order so I'm not upset at all. When you get to be my age (fifty-something), you learn that the world doesn't always revolve around you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh, I remember when Papertrey was having major shipping issues, things not being sent out, , backorders, no communication or customer service, paper bent, charging the customer to send the paper back and not reimbursing them for it, FREE earned stamp sets NOT being sent out, and the like.
It happenes to big and small companies alike. Stampin Ups customer service is fabulous. We have about 1500 orders go in a day, with about 30,000 demos. I dont think PTI has that many orders a day, every day.

Maybe your demo didnt clarify to you the shipping times right now.
Last week there was a 3-5 day pick time (before anyone even touched it)
If she put your order in on the 14th (last thursday) it wouldnt have hit the pick line until MAYBE the 20th or 21st (wed-thursday). So even if it shipped today or monday, you wouldnt get it until the 27th or 28th. Id ask your demo to check the site for updates on your shipping, and show it to you if you dont believe her.
The only way your $15 shipping would get here faster is if you added the $20 expedite fee to it, and then your order would have gone to the front of the line, picked & shipped the next day, and been here on the 20th.

I just dont get too bent out of shape by the pick times. THAT is what is taking the longest. Especially when its the NEW Catalog!!! Everybody wants their stuff NOW, only 30,000 want it now! lol
Once it is shipped, its pretty dang fast.
Id ask your demo to show you when she ordered it. But it sounds like its right on time.

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Another thought, Maybe your demo did not place the order when she said she did...And did not want to tell you for fear of disappointment, just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #22  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I placed an order on Thursday the 14th also, and it said "4-5 days picking time" and sure enough, it picked Wed-Thur. It started its trip today and will be sitting in the Bay Area for the weekend (boohoo) and will be out for delivery Monday.

I'm lucky it's only two days once it ships. But if the OP's order follows the same pattern, it should be on its way. Not sure where you live, but east coast takes a lot longer than two days. Still, you might have it in that 7-10 BUSINESS days window.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph82View Post
I'm not impressed with SU's shipping time either. It always takes at least 2 weeks for any of my orders to come it. Maybe that isn't too long for most people to wait, but I am really impatient!
Before I signed up, my orders always took two weeks. Turned out it was because my demo was holding the order til checks cleared. (One reason I signed up!!!) But yeah, if she is putting the orders in quickly, it shouldn't take two weeks. Most of the time, 1-2 days to pick.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

you seem to be hung up on the concept that you are entitled to not pay shipping costs. well who is supposed to bear that expense for the convenience of NOT using your own gas and your own depreciation on the car?

if you want the convenience of home delivery..then you must be prepared to bear some of the costs associated. and I even stopped doing the Free super saver shipping from Amazon because I would rather spend the $3.00 and get it a week sooner. and for that matter the Last pre order from Amazon took three days longer than usual.

do some companies go overboard and hide behind "shipping and handling ' expenses? absolutely. I have become much more conscious when I place Ebay orders now and will factor in the stated s/h cost in my total cost. and yes there are a few orders form other online vendors that I ended up NOT completing because I felt the shipping was over the top. But I will not limit myself to ONLY companies that do not charge shipping or offer free shipping over x number of dollars. for one, I have yet to find an online company that offers me everything that I want at once. I need stickles, and a spare set of CB B plates and I want Primas and I want to branch out into other stamp companies but nobody has been able to get me everything in one fell swoop.

with the increased overall expenses on everything that can be directly tied to gas prices.. I still say SU! shipping costs are reasonable even if you DON'T make the 10% cut off. I know my boxes are usually large bulky and heavy. My UPS driver always gets a good workout from me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I am a stampinup demonstrator. I placed a order 2 weeks ago. Normally I would get my order in 10 days, However when I called stampin up to ask about this delay in shipping they let me know that the day before I called they received over 15,000 orders for that day alone. That is why the delay in picking and shipping. As for your demo you deserve a receipt for your purchase. She should definately keep you informed. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

What I'm hung up on is that SU's entire business model has been bugging me for a while, and this order may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as me continuing to order from them (my issues with SU are many and varied, and probably a topic for another post). I understand all the circumstances that everyone is describing - high volume of orders, etc - but what irritates me is that I've never experienced such slow shipping times from any other company I've ordered from, and I usually don't pay this much for shipping. I used to work at a factory that had a very high volume of business during the summer because of weddings, so every summer, they hired temps to make sure we could meet our shipping times. I also worked in customer service where we had a goal of answering the phone with no hold times, and we hired temps or shuffled people around to make sure it happened. I would think that if SU had a new catalog coming out, they would assume that the volume would be heavy and prepare for that. I seem to remember this same issue happening last January when the new catalog came out and then again when SAB started.

As far as shipping cost, the last time I paid $15 for shipping, it was for an extremely heavy piece of exercise equipment. So my experience with SU is completely out of line with my other experiences. That makes me not happy. I know this subject has been brought up before and lots of people defend SU, but I disagree with shipping amounts based on order totals instead of weight of items being sent. A system like that has to be built in such a way that the customer pays extra a substantial amount of the time so the company doesn't lose money on shipping constantly. I'd rather just pay exactly what it costs to ship my actual items. I do not feel that I'm entitled to not pay shipping costs, I just don't understand how SU is so out of line with my other experiences, which consist of often not paying shipping, and when I do, it's certainly not as much as they charge and my packages get here much faster.

As far as my demo, I know she put the order in when she said she did because I was on the phone with her when she was putting it in on the computer and she's not the type to lie about things. And I don't get a receipt from her because we don't live anywhere near each other. I continue to use her because I don't need/want things like classes, etc, and I know she needs the money, so I'd like her to the get the money from my orders. I tell her not to waste her time or a stamp sending me a receipt, so I'm wasn't trying to bash my demo, I was just saying that I'm not certain about the shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Every company has to charge for shipping somehow. Some companies add it to the cost of the item, so it's "hidden," but you still pay it. That's how the "Free Shipping over $XX" companies do it. Companies that handle it the way SU does assess the overall cost of shipping and what percentage that is of their cost. Overall, shipping is 10% of SU's cost. Some orders they will lose money on shipping, but overall it comes out to 10%. I am sure they lost money shipping me my Big Shot. :-)

The pick line set up does not allow for infinite expansion of workers. It's a massive thing--I wish everyone could see it. The conveyor belt runs up, down, and around a huge, multi-story warehouse. At each necessary station, your box stops, and lights come on to show the pickers which items go in your box. This is not to say that I don't understand impatience for receiving an order! I do! but the reality is that SU is processing many thousands of orders each day. If we want a new, faster system, the cost of stamps will go up. <shrugs shoulders> That's a business reality, and the system currently works quite well, so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

It's completely your prerogative to be unhappy with their model. I won't buy from PTI anymore because of crappy, rude customer service. They'll be fine without me, right? :-) Because other people will have other opinions. SU will continue to have a large customer base because *people like their products*, and some people even love their demonstrators! <wink>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate and share your frustration - generally my orders take 1 week; but put my order in on 8/11 (later in the day) and just received it yesterday 8/22. With the new catalog SU is running a bit behind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #29  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

What I'm hung up on is that SU's entire business model has been bugging me for a while, and this order may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as me continuing to order from them (my issues with SU are many and varied, and probably a topic for another post). I understand all the circumstances that everyone is describing - high volume of orders, etc - but what irritates me is that I've never experienced such slow shipping times from any other company I've ordered from, and I usually don't pay this much for shipping. I used to work at a factory that had a very high volume of business during the summer because of weddings, so every summer, they hired temps to make sure we could meet our shipping times. I also worked in customer service where we had a goal of answering the phone with no hold times, and we hired temps or shuffled people around to make sure it happened. I would think that if SU had a new catalog coming out, they would assume that the volume would be heavy and prepare for that. I seem to remember this same issue happening last January when the new catalog came out and then again when SAB started.

As far as shipping cost, the last time I paid $15 for shipping, it was for an extremely heavy piece of exercise equipment. So my experience with SU is completely out of line with my other experiences. That makes me not happy. I know this subject has been brought up before and lots of people defend SU, but I disagree with shipping amounts based on order totals instead of weight of items being sent. A system like that has to be built in such a way that the customer pays extra a substantial amount of the time so the company doesn't lose money on shipping constantly. I'd rather just pay exactly what it costs to ship my actual items. I do not feel that I'm entitled to not pay shipping costs, I just don't understand how SU is so out of line with my other experiences, which consist of often not paying shipping, and when I do, it's certainly not as much as they charge and my packages get here much faster.

As far as my demo, I know she put the order in when she said she did because I was on the phone with her when she was putting it in on the computer and she's not the type to lie about things. And I don't get a receipt from her because we don't live anywhere near each other. I continue to use her because I don't need/want things like classes, etc, and I know she needs the money, so I'd like her to the get the money from my orders. I tell her not to waste her time or a stamp sending me a receipt, so I'm wasn't trying to bash my demo, I was just saying that I'm not certain about the shipping.
I happen to think that 1) the shipping is right in line with any thing out there...I just recently shipped boxes weighing FAR less than an average SU! order for $9 via USPS with no tracking.
and 2) I think I read you ordered $150 which means you are getting some free stuff as well....Most companies I shop with or heard of others shopping with do not send out over $25 worth of free merchandise ($15 of your choice and a free pad a paper and or/stamp set of your choice)free of shipping charges as well.

I think high gas/shipping charges are a fact of life now, and while some of the smaller businesses you mentioned may be cheaper and quicker, they are not providing you with the free merchandise SU! does either.

Hopefully you will at least enjoy your last SU! order once it comes!:-D

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

As far as shipping cost, the last time I paid $15 for shipping, it was for an extremely heavy piece of exercise equipment.
My guess is the price of the exercise equipment was inflated to cover the cost of the shipping OR the business owner decided to sacrifice part of the standard mark up to cover it.

A couple of years ago, I went to a UPS store to ship some Christmas gifts. None of them were very heavy and they fit into a medium-sized box. I had to pay $35 to ship that box. I could have gotten $350 worth of stamps and paper (plus the free hostess stuff) shipped to me for the amount I paid to send stuff that weighed far less.

As far as free shipping over a certain amount, that is a time-tested and proven gimmick to get people to order more than they really mean to. You go to someone's web store, fall in love with one or two items, only to find if you just order X amount more you won't have to pay shipping fees. You say to yourself, "Well, gee, I'm really SAVING money by spending this much more!!!" You're not. You are spending more no matter how you look at it. And chances are, as someone else pointed out, the shipping cost is worked into the price anyway, so you are still paying for it.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

As far as shipping cost, the last time I paid $15 for shipping, it was for an extremely heavy piece of exercise equipment. So my experience with SU is completely out of line with my other experiences.
I don't know about other stamp companies, because I use Stampin' Up! products exclusively, but I know just yesterday I went to the pampered chef web site and their shipping was higher than Stampin' Up!'s and not at all related to weight (considering that I was thinking about ordering a bunch of plastic utencils and gadgets).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I used to work at a factory that had a very high volume of business during the summer because of weddings, so every summer, they hired temps to make sure we could meet our shipping times. I also worked in customer service where we had a goal of answering the phone with no hold times, and we hired temps or shuffled people around to make sure it happened. I would think that if SU had a new catalog coming out, they would assume that the volume would be heavy and prepare for that. I seem to remember this same issue happening last January when the new catalog came out and then again when SAB started.
The last time SU! brought in a large number of temps to deal with increased order volumes, it was an absolute DISASTER as far as errors and delays involved in correcting the mistakes -- especially for orders going to Canada, which already take much longer due to customs processing as well as the increased distance. They ended up spending a ton of money on thank-you incentives to make up for the whole mess. Frankly, I'd much rather wait an extra two or three business days than have some temp who's unfamiliar with the product and how the picking line works screw things up and I won't find out till the box gets here.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm an SU demo and one of my best customers is a Longaberger consultant. She was SHOCKED how fast her stuff comes from SU - apparently it takes LOTS longer from Longaberger! Under normal conditions, she can't believe it's here already - she's still quite happy with the turn-around time and cost of shipping even during this new catalog time. I think this catalog just wow'ed everybody!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default What the pick line looks like!

Dawn Olchefske has some great pictures from her Riverton tour on her blog.

Riverton Tour-Behind the Scenes

I worked in a warehouse during part of high school, but I never imagined how big this one was! LOL I felt silly when I realized how much I had underestimated the operation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Our demo told us Wednesday night at stamp club that it would most likely be 2 weeks (10 business days) for our order to ship. Consider all that has gone on at SU in the past couple of weeks. Convention and the release of a new catalog that has had a huge order response. I'm sure they are doing their best. I live in Southeast Wisconsin. We normally get our stuff in a week. Order placed Wednesday pm or Thursday am is usually received Wednesday or Thursday of the following week.

As far as 10% for shipping...I pay the bills for our company. There is an item on almost every invoice we receive called a fuel surcharge. It ranges anywhere from 33-47% of the cost of the merchandise we are receiving. No way am I going to complain about 10% at a time when gas is so outrageous and diesel even more so.
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I've only been a demo since April, but when I first started placing orders I'd always place them on Thursday night, and I would have the shipment that following Tuesday or Wednesday - less than a week later. I was amazed and delighted.

However, the longer I remain a demo, and place orders, the longer it takes me to receive them. The last order I put in was the end of July, and I again did it on a Thursday, but didn't receive my order until a week from the following Monday.

To allow for the new catalog, etc., I'm not ordering anything until the first week in September. If I find SU is still backed up with orders, and it takes longer than a week, I may reconsider my position as a SU demo.

I place orders online through various companies, for various types of goods, and very rarely do my orders ever take longer than a week...VERY rarely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigidenView Post
I've only been a demo since April, but when I first started placing orders I'd always place them on Thursday night, and I would have the shipment that following Tuesday or Wednesday - less than a week later. I was amazed and delighted.

However, the longer I remain a demo, and place orders, the longer it takes me to receive them. The last order I put in was the end of July, and I again did it on a Thursday, but didn't receive my order until a week from the following Monday.

To allow for the new catalog, etc., I'm not ordering anything until the first week in September. If I find SU is still backed up with orders, and it takes longer than a week, I may reconsider my position as a SU demo.

I place orders online through various companies, for various types of goods, and very rarely do my orders ever take longer than a week...VERY rarely.
If the number of days from the time you place and order to the time you receive it is more imporant to you than actually getting the stuff by a certain day, then I would recommend waiting until a few days into September to place your orde. September 1 will be the day demonstrators will be able to place their pre-orders from the new holiday mini catalog, which undoubtedly will back up shipping a little. It will not be as bad as the new catalog order avalanche, but I bet it will cause a slight delay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigidenView Post

Interesting!

I haven't noticed any difference at all. But then, I never order the first day of a new catalog or new mini or new special. At the least, I wait a few days - this year I ordered on Aug. 14th and that's the closest I've ever ordered to new catty start!!!

But all year, it's been 1-2 days to pick for me, and I have the orders two (business) days later. UPS takes one day to get to the Bay Area, then the next day "out for delivery."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
Before I signed up, my orders always took two weeks. Turned out it was because my demo was holding the order til checks cleared. (One reason I signed up!!!) But yeah, if she is putting the orders in quickly, it shouldn't take two weeks. Most of the time, 1-2 days to pick.
OH yes there are some demos that will wait 3 days for checks to clear and because there is a 3 day waiting period in case someone wants to change their mind, etc and some demos have gotten burned in the past because of either of those things so will wait three days to even put the order in.

There are a few times a year when there are 3-4 or 4-5 day shipping times, mostly when there is the new catty -- other than that SU is awesome about getting their orders out.

I would ask your demo for the UPS tracking number. I gave it to a few customers because they lived in apts and could plan to make sure they received the orders - but this way you will find out when it actually shipped and when to expect it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurieRView Post
Our demo told us Wednesday night at stamp club that it would most likely be 2 weeks (10 business days) for our order to ship. Consider all that has gone on at SU in the past couple of weeks. Convention and the release of a new catalog that has had a huge order response. I'm sure they are doing their best. I live in Southeast Wisconsin. We normally get our stuff in a week. Order placed Wednesday pm or Thursday am is usually received Wednesday or Thursday of the following week.

I also would tell them two weeks/10 business days from the date the order was placed - especially if there is a party and everyone places their order that night with me but the hostess doesn't close until over the weekend they have to know that it will take that additional time. In over 2 years of demo-ing I never had one complaint, I think it was because I explained it ahead of time.

So if you placed your order last Thurs with your demo, ASSUMING that she put the order in that very night, you may receive it next Thursday at the latest. Assume it that way and then if it comes earlier you can be surprised.

But do call the demo and find out when the order was placed and get the UPS shipping expected delivery date.
Reply With Quote Likes