Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Being disrespectfull?

Ok Girls,

Am I being terribly rude if I say I have been disappointed in some of
the cards I receive in my swaps?

I have recently received a card that had an image stamped, colored with crayola and stuck on the card base. there was a brad attached to a corner of the card.

Am I judging to harshly?

I am not one of the stampin queens seen on here, but I put forth much more effort on my cards.

Ok, blast away.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think you're judging too harshly. I would've been disappointed too! Fortunately, all the stuff I've received in swaps so far is really neat.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't participated in any swaps, but maybe an "aspiring young stamper" made it, and the Mom included it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been disappointed too. When I prepare images or cards for swaps they're my very best work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Unfortunately, I'm right there with you. I have actually stopped participating in a lot of swaps because of this issue. I don't think you're being rude at all, just honest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I too put a lot of effort into my cards. I am fairly new at this, so I always tell my hostess to please return my cards if she does not find them up to the quality of the swap standards. I hope I never get them back, but I would prefer it to people thinking I am sending poorly made cards. That being said, if I ever do get them back, I hope the hostess will care enough about helping me to make constructive suggestions as to how they could have been improved. I have yet to get back my first swaps, so cannot comment on quality of other's cards. I would like to hope that everyone takes enough pride in their work to believe they have done their best on each card. I suppose some are much more talented than others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe it was a newer stamper who thought it was a good card? I would only be able to do basic cards in any swaps as I am still new to this craft. These kind of comments are why I don't do swaps, it is discouraging for me. no offense meant to anyone just my opinion. Maybe swaps need to be set up in more detail so those participating can be closer to what others would want/expect?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettyjoanesView Post
maybe it was a newer stamper who thought it was a good card? I would only be able to do basic cards in any swaps as I am still new to this craft. These kind of comments are why I don't do swaps, it is discouraging for me. no offense meant to anyone just my opinion. Maybe swaps need to be set up in more detail so those participating can be closer to what others would want/expect?
Maybe you could ask a SCS pal to critique a card or two that you would think of sending out and ask for constructive help or ask their opinion. I have found these ladies to be incredibly helpful to new folks and I am sure someone would be happy to look at some of your cards and offer suggestions to a beginner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #9  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
Ok Girls,

I have recently received a card that had an image stamped, colored with crayola and stuck on the card base. there was a brad attached to a corner of the card.

Am I judging to harshly?

I am not one of the stampin queens seen on here, but I put forth much more effort on my cards.

Ok, blast away.....

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I don't think you should be blasted for how you feel. Being disappointed with the quality is certainly appropriate... there's nothing wrong with feeling that way.

How/if you respond to it... well, that can make all the difference in the world. I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt and recognize that this type of thing may happen from time to time. I must admit that I haven't done too many general swaps, so I don't know whether that is more or less common or not.

One thing to consider is who the sender/creator of the card was... check their gallery, try to find out more about them to see if they are just a newbie, or if there might be something else that would explain the quality or lack thereof. We all have different limitations and that may actually have been someone's best effort.

I hope you won't be discouraged from participating in future swaps. There are so many great, terrifically creative people on this site.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
Ok Girls,

Am I judging to harshly?

Ok, blast away.....
I know exactly what you are talking about. I stopped participating in the swaps also. Out of a batch of 6 cards, I would receive one that was up to the same standard that I had sent out. Many times, the edges were cut with a dull blade, stamped really crooked, and thrown together. It was very disappointing. Now I personally select who I swap with. I would suggest you do the same or just stop swapping. YOu never know what you'll get.

Elizabeth Bead Diva
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Maybe you could ask a SCS pal to critique a card or two that you would think of sending out and ask for constructive help or ask their opinion. I have found these ladies to be incredibly helpful to new folks and I am sure someone would be happy to look at some of your cards and offer suggestions to a beginner.
I think this is a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I am with ya. I know that some people are just starting out and I wouldn't expect them to all be at the same creative level but.......Every swap I have been in (3) there have been one or two that didn't follow the rules that are so clearly stated in the swap instructions i.e using quality card stock. A few of them were very flimsy. The majority of the ones I recieved are great. Guess ya have to take the bad with the good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, for me, when I first started...I did not know what constituted "quality card stock". For new people it is not all that clear. Did it mean a certain brand name or certain texture or certain thickness. I really did not know. I did ask my hostess to clarify and hopefully did not disappoint. The rules, while they seem perfectly clear to experienced stampers, are very intimidating if you do not know for sure what it is they are asking for. So for new folks, I would just say to inquire of your swap hostess before you sign up to see if they can help you with any areas you are not sure of. Again, most are so willing to be helpful because they want their swap to be nice and also successful.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I love participating in swaps and as long as I get at least 2 back that inspire me or are really great cards I consider it a successful swap. Even with cards I don't care for I can usually take away some idea from it, whether it's colors or layout... Sometimes there are cards that are just duds, but I try to remember that everyone is at different levels and the person who made it was probably really happy with the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Wow! I have only partipated in three scrapbook page swaps and I have been greatly pleased with all of the pages that I received in return! Have I just been lucky? I am sorry you have had this experience, what a bummer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

What you've described is EXACTLY why I would NEVER participate in a swap. I would use the highest quality stuff, take my time, use embellishments, and quite frankly, I've seen some cards that people have gotten in swaps that would make me REALLY peeved!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

i know how you feel!I beonged to a club at my local stamp store, and we met once a month. We were supposed to make 16 cards , well it started out where every one was doing this, by the time a year had gone by, only maybe 6 people were making cards.I then went home with more of my own cards than someone elses.Granted some of the cards i received were beautiful and some were ugly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Since most swaps seem to be all inclusive, it is likely that there will be some inexperience in them. Maybe if this is such an issue the swaps should be desigated "newbie friendly" or "Experienced Stampers Only". I joined stamping and the SCS site to make friends and have fun. I do realize there are apparently many professional stampers out there who may not appreciate the inexperienced participation. There are certainly enough people on this site to fill both categories on a regular basis and make everyone happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

This is such a "sticky" question. If the swap coordinator asked for your preference - beginner, intermediate, or advanced stamper - it would help. I know gals that are just starting out and they spend hours on cards that look like they were just colored and attached with a brad. They were proud of their work (which is as it should be). But, as they participate in swaps they will get a better idea of how to make a beautiful card. Don't give up on all swaps though. It can be lots of fun.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I just recently signed up for my first three swaps. I love the idea of swapping, and I am fully aware that I will get back some things that will not be to my liking. I guess I will see how these go before I commit for more. I sure hope my cards pass muster with the other swappers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixleyView Post
I love participating in swaps and as long as I get at least 2 back that inspire me or are really great cards I consider it a successful swap. Even with cards I don't care for I can usually take away some idea from it, whether it's colors or layout... Sometimes there are cards that are just duds, but I try to remember that everyone is at different levels and the person who made it was probably really happy with the card.

I have to agree that we are all at different stages with our skill and craft and some of us are fortunate to belong to a local group where we can bounce ideas off one another and get support...others are not so lucky. I do swaps, mostly Canadian ones now as the postage is pricey to you folks in the US but not with the goal of using the cards I receive. I love to make cards, my family all expect to get a "belle" card for their occasions so I can't really use the ones I receive in a swap but as one of you said earlier, if I get just one that gives me ideas or inspiration it has all been worth it. I donate my swap cards to local organizations and they use them as they need to, the birthday ones go to a local senior lodge where some residents get no mail, others to a local women's shelter. and the truly inspiring ones get CASEd again and again. I agree that the hostess could perhaps send back the cards that don't meet the grade with a couple of "samples" of those that did and a positive but clear explanation of what the crafter needs to do to make the grade. Just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I would really hope that no hostess would send back someone's swap based on a judgement call like that. If there were rules that were not followed, maybe, but only then. Say the cards missed the deadline, or used an image or paper that wasn't what was requested, that kind of thing.

But returning them because they don't seem "up to par" just seems hurtful. The reasons above are the only reasons I would be disappointed in a swapper's efforts, and I've done swaps for many years. The only thing that bugs me is those that ignore the rules of the swap.

I used to participate in swaps from other SU demos so I could get samples of sets I did not have, and so I could populate my display boards. I was just as happy to put up simple, "less polished" cards, let's say, as I was to put up fabulous works of art. My stampers have always been from different levels of experience, and actually many beginners are quite intimidated by those works of art. They'll look at the simpler ones, though, and know that they could do that, too.

Don't give up on swaps, please! Whether you are disappointed in what you get back or are nervous about what you send in, there's nothing like swaps to gather examples of different looks, different techniques, and yes, see what other swappers expect. If everyone has made sure that they completely complied with the parameters of the swap, done their best work, and gotten the swaps sent on time, there should be nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I, too, have stopped participating in swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not exactly experienced yet, but I try to make my swap cards look nice. And it probably takes me longer than it should to put my cards together. I've put the cards I've sent for swaps in my gallery, but don't get many comments - hopefully I haven't disappointed anyone. If anyone gets one of my cards and would like to offer helpful hints or how to advice, I'd certainly be willing to make improvements on my future efforts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I was at a SU regionals and I worked VERY hard on my swaps,all my swaps are always WOW! swaps. KWIM?? I was very shocked at what some people thought was acceptable for trading. I don't know that I would participate again. Anyone know what Convention is like?? I'm not going but I am definately curious.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also agree with you on the the quality; and I have actually stopped participating in swaps because of the poor quality - the last three (3) I participated in during Q 3 2007 were really, really disappointing. I looked forward with anticipation to each of them; but I did not keep any of the cards from 2 of the swaps (actuallcy just pitched them as they were so bad I could not even share them with any of the groups with whom I normally share my swap and stamp club cards. Idis-mantled one card (which I've never, ever done before) because there was only an embellishment on it of value. Although I've stamped for 12 years; I'm not an exceptional stamper and really do not have overly high expectations; but do feel that everyone's best effort is a fair aim. Some of the swaps I received were 1 layer (although more were required) and were just sloppy projects with glitter as the only embellishment.

On the upside though, I had been in several truly outstanding swaps too - especially Whipper Snapper swaps!

I think if I do opt to join any in the future, I'll just be much choosier about who else is in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok you probably don't want my opinion on this but I admit I read this thread earlier and was ok with it....

Now I got to thinking... it's coming across as really snobbish...

Maybe its my own personal experience - but a couple of years ago my finances were quite a bit tighter than they are at the moment and I was only able to participate in an ongoing monthly swap with some (now) dear friends by buying my supplies at dollar tree and using "normal" writing or business envelopes (having packed away 99% of my own supplies for an international move) and never once did any of my swap partners complain...

Now I have my supplies back and am using bits and pieces I pick up here and there, and of course I think my swaps are better than they were then... but my (now) friends never mind either way.

I guess what I am saying is maybe try to get to know the person behind the swap and the swap you didn't like so much might have more meaning and become a treasured possession (just think in the future you may have thrown out an early Monet ;) ok maybe not but you get the idea)

PS - I don't do swaps on this board at all because to me it seems like the term "quality cardstock" means "SU only" to too many people and I like my Bazzill, GP and DCWV too much (oh and have just discovered Archiver's own!):lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garbage.

Yup...I've received my fair share over the years that either didn't follow the "terms" of the swap, didn't meet expectation, and others that were flat-out garbage. The problem isn't about taking into consideration the level of a swapper's stamping experience or not trying to figure out what happened. The problem is that a majority of people who submit *ABSOLUTE TRASH* don't even bother to put the name / username / email adress...nothing to even identify them!

Call me harsh, but why should I be satisfied with something that someone else didn't even want to lay claim to? ~ kbc (in my fireproof suit...):rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage RedheadView Post
Yup...I've received my fair share over the years that either didn't follow the "terms" of the swap, didn't meet expectation, and others that were flat-out garbage. The problem isn't about taking into consideration the level of a swapper's stamping experience or not trying to figure out what happened. The problem is that a majority of people who submit *ABSOLUTE TRASH* don't even bother to put the name / username / email adress...nothing to even identify them!

Call me harsh, but why should I be satisfied with something that someone else didn't even want to lay claim to? ~ kbc (in my fireproof suit...):rolleyes:
:lol: you must have missed the thread about people not signing their swaps etc;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=jdmeeks;9873741...Although I've stamped for 12 years; I'm not an exceptional stamper and really do not have overly high expectations; but do feel that everyone's best effort is a fair aim...Some of the swaps I received were 1 layer (although more were required) and were just sloppy projects with glitter as the only embellishment...[/quote]
That's how I feel! I am *not* Dirty Dozen quality...after 12 years at this myself. But gosh darn, what about the quality of the stamped image? If it isn't centered, isn't colored (somehow! not even all the way, just creatively) there aren't layers when there should be, or isn't even the item of the swap (I hostessed a 2-page 12x12 layout a few years ago where one of the swappers only sent me ATCs!!!)

RiverIsis: I have some cards that use no embellies at all and I absolutely *DO* treasure them! I have others which use great embellies, but otherwise poor form. I'm don't believe that every card has to be dressed to the nines to be great. And I *love* Bazzill - I'll swap with you any time! ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I have been disappointed with some of the swap pages I've received-- a few just clearly put very minimal effort into their creations and didn't even meet the swap guidelines. Most of the time I enjoy seeing the variety of skill levels in a swap group, but it's frustrating when someone clearly did not send their best work and the rest of us did.

However, I also worry sometimes that my own pages might not meet some people's expectations. I don't have the $$ for name brand supplies, so "quality cardstock" to me is textured, thicker than the kind I can print on, but still probably not as thick as the SU or others. I just try to do a nice page, follow the swap guidelines, and hope others like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

One postitive aspect of getting cards I was disappointed in - it forced me to creatively plan a way to make them better! I've added ribbon, embellies, and a couple of times just scrapped the whole card for its paper! At first doing that was kind of fun (I like challenging myself), but after quite a few swaps where that happened, I just sort of gave up. I like onelightingchic's idea of hostesses specifying whether or not swaps are for experienced swappers only.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

honestly,
there are different levels of talent and what's the word... effort?
from my own perspective I know if i join a swap there will be things that could be incredibly detailed that are just something i would never do. and then again there will probably be something that the glue is showing on and falling apart in your hands as you take it out of the envelope...

it just seems to be part of the whole package of swapping unless you join say a limited private offered swap where everyone in it knows everyone else's strengths and talents...

oh heck, even image swaps go that way sometimes the host can specify use quality cardstock only and it never fails someone will stamp on construction paper...
I think its just part of the gamble of it...

but, then again i hardly ever swap anything but images anymore...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with you ~ I have received swaps when it is supposed to be SU only and the paper and embellishments are not SU ~ or they are not cut straight, or stamped clearly. ... or fellow swappers do not get their cards to the hostess on time.. every swap I have been in in the last few months there have been a bunch of late swappers. I have gotten back numerous of my own cards because people are getting their cards sent in on time... very frustrating.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

I am in a swap with my local SU club. I know that every month I am going to get 2 cards that I hate. The ladies that are making them are the sweetest people in the world. They are sincerely doing the best they can. They just don't have any talent. Not that mine is great. But they really enjoy making the cards. I would never squash their enjoyment by telling them that I don't appreciate their cards. I find that I learn something from every card I get. Even if it is what not to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

I can understand disappointment if the swap has rules and they don't meet the basic requirements. But we can't all be JulieHRR or JanTink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I've never done a SCS swap, but when I first joined SU, my upline encouraged me to do swaps with our group. Well, I worked SO hard on my swaps and had high standards, even as a newbie. And I was so disappointed that I finally stopped doing swaps. One reason is that I buy a LOT of stamps and since the swapping was to get samples of sets that I might not own, to show my customers, it really didn't make sense. I know what I like and what my customers like and they LOVE my cards (mostly inspired by the SCS Gallery!), and I'll make my own samples. However, I am going to Convention and I'm planning on doing some swaps there!!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen71View Post
Unfortunately, I'm right there with you. I have actually stopped participating in a lot of swaps because of this issue. I don't think you're being rude at all, just honest!
I'm right with you. I stopped participating in swaps quite a while ago because I didn't think the quality was worth my time and effort and expense to continue. Just my .02 worth.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

A swapper's point of view as regards "quality" might depend on what you do with the cards after you receive them. If you plan to actually use the cards -- send them to your friends or family -- then your standards will be higher.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for inspiring ideas and all the cards will end up in an album or a shoebox, then the cardstock would not matter as much.

For those of you who would like to receive "Constructive Comments" on your cards, click on that link in my signature. Although participants in the thread can't evaluate the quality of your cardstock, they can add a hint or two on design elements or layout -- their own opinion of course.
To "play the game" you just post a note and then visit the gallery of the person before you in the thread to leave a comment that contains a hint for improvement on one or two of their cards. The next person in the thread will do the same for you.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

The wonderful thing about SCS is that there are so many people and activities to be involved in. There are far too many things going on with this group for anyone to settle for an activity, such as swapping, that they do not enjoy participating in. Those who do enjoy it for the value that it has for them, should definitely give swapping a try. I would not want to see anyone, new or not, discouraged from trying swapping because of bad press. There is clearly so much incredible talent on this site that beauty is many times going to be a personal preference.

That alone is not why I swap. I swap to meet new people and so far I have not been disappointed in that.
Reply With Quote Likes