Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default talk to me about brayering? I just bought

a brayer because I love Michelle Zindorf's cards and she uses the brayer often. I want to stamp just like her lol! any good tutorials on how to use this thing? how to clean this thing? what on earth to do with this thing now that I bought it?
thanks
tracyg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

i would like to know also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

There is so much you can do with the brayer, stamp with versa mark on glossy card then brayer over, this is great for sea and sunsets and your image is left in white, your can use the multiclour pads to either ink up your stamp evenly with it or apply the ink to the brayer and create multicolour backgrounds, create textures by applying ink to your brayer and then touching lightly some off with plastic wrap or kitchen towel scrood up, or wrap it with a few rubber bands or string for more effects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested in good techniques, also. I've brayered before, and some of my cards get really beautiful and the colors blend so lovely. And other times, there are white marks on my card that just doesn't cover, no matter what I do. I always use glossy cardstock, and brayer "one way" when I used the ink - but brayer "up and down, while bouncing a bit" when covering. I do know that dye inks will blend better than pigment inks, right?
Thanks for your help!

Linda from PA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I am also brayer-challenged and would love some help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

You can go back and forth the technique is called scooching and creates nice backgrounds, dye inks take longer to dry so blend better, but you have the loading of the brayer exactly right, hi from bethlehem pa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Count me in on need to know more. I just got mine and it has no instructions on how to clean it. I am afraid to even start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I love my brayerS - I have three of them! LOL I keep rubberbands on one just because I love using that technique, but the other two I use doing solid colors. I have a document that is FIFTY WAYS TO LOVE YOUR BRAYER and if someone knows how to attach it in here, I would do it in a heartbeat... Just not sure how to do it.. Hopefully someone that knows will contact me at [email protected] and I can put it out here...

Hugs, Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlygates2View Post
a brayer because I love Michelle Zindorf's cards and she uses the brayer often. I want to stamp just like her lol! any good tutorials on how to use this thing? how to clean this thing? what on earth to do with this thing now that I bought it?
thanks
tracyg
Ahhh, you are just too darn sweet!

I love my brayer. It never leaves my work space. I only have one brayer and the rubber is almost black now, lol.
All of my verigated backgrounds are done on Whisper White CS. I start with the lightest color first. Load the brayer, make the first swipe of the brayer on my scrap paper so I don't get a harsh line. Brayer onto the CS and really work the color into the paper by continuing to brayer when the ink is gone. Use a lot of ink and work it in after each loading. Second color same as first only don't go all the way over the first color.

Use lots and lots of ink and work it in with the brayer between inkings when the brayer is dry.

When I'm done brayering my darkest color, I sponge that same color along the top to really get it dark.

I also love to mask sections of my cardstock to create a floor or ground area. Usually I use post it notes to mask with or I just hold a scrap piece of paper over the area.

As for cleaning, I just spray a little stamp cleaner on my stamp'n scrub and roll the brayer over it. Finish by rolling it on scrap paper to be sure it is clean. Like I said mine is very stained but I clean it between each color and I have not had any problem using the same brayer with light and dark colors.

Well there is my two cents in regards to brayering, lol.
Hope this is useful!

Happy Brayering!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Which type of brayer is everyone using? I thougth there was 3 different types of brayers. Correct me if I am wrong. Rubber? Foam? and I can't remember the third kind. Are there different types of techniques for different kinds?

I "think" (not home right now) I have the rubber type and have only used it to help with getting the ink onto my cs with my background stamps. Ink the background stamp rubber side up, lay the cs on that, and then a piece of paper towl and brayer away!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

There are 3 brayer types. Most people use rubber, so I would use that unless the technique you are doing specifically says foam or acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber is best for these types of rolling and blending techniques. The acrylic is great for the rubber band trick. You can't damage it the way you would by wrapping a rubber band around the more soft rubber brayer.

Someone else can chime in with the purpose of the foam brayer. I haven't tried it. I'm guessing it has a more similar effect to spongeing when it is rolled, rather than a smooth blended look....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenizeView Post
I love my brayerS - I have three of them! LOL I keep rubberbands on one just because I love using that technique, but the other two I use doing solid colors. I have a document that is FIFTY WAYS TO LOVE YOUR BRAYER and if someone knows how to attach it in here, I would do it in a heartbeat... Just not sure how to do it.. Hopefully someone that knows will contact me at [email protected] and I can put it out here...

Hugs, Donna

I would love to see this document:p I have one too but hardly ever use it.

My Blog
My Gallery
My ETSY store
Become my FAN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyStamperView Post
The rubber is best for these types of rolling and blending techniques. The acrylic is great for the rubber band trick. You can't damage it the way you would by wrapping a rubber band around the more soft rubber brayer.

Someone else can chime in with the purpose of the foam brayer. I haven't tried it. I'm guessing it has a more similar effect to spongeing when it is rolled, rather than a smooth blended look....
I'm not quite sure, but I believe the foam is used for acrylic paints. I have three hard rubber brayers; one for dark colors, one for pastels, and a small two inch size for smaller panels. I haven't read through all of the responses above, so hopefully I'm not being redundant. Brayers are excellent for inking up large background stamps for perfect ink coverage. I also use mine when I use liquid adhesives like tacky glue. When I glue a piece of DP paper to chipboard or when gluing cardstock panels, I flip the chipboard or panel over, place on a table, and roll the brayer with firm pressure over the chipboard/cardstock panel to squish the glue evenly between the two layers for complete coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenizeView Post

Hugs, Donna
I have this document, I'm not sure if it's the same as yours Donna.

Hope this helps.

Tips and Techniques for Using a Brayer
RUBBER:
1. Stripes: using markers, make stripes on brayer (this works best if you lie it on its back and turn roller while holding
marker) all the way around until beginning and ending stripe meet. Roll brayer across paper in any direction.
2. Squiggles: Repeat same process as for Stripes but make wavy lines instead of straight ones.
3. Confetti/Dots/Raindrops: Randomly make marks on brayer with marker (use different colors) all over entire roller.
Roll away.
4. Plaids: Same as with the markers for Stripes except criss-cross pattern.
5. Plaids: Outline stripes for your plaids with smaller tip of your marker to make plaid/stripes stand out more.
6. Plaids: Rainbow plaids are made with brayer being rolled over pad several times then brayering over paper. Repeat
as necessary for desired depth of color and surface coverage. Then repeat process in opposite direction.
7. Rainbow Backgrounds: Same as above just don't create a plaid design. This works great for scenery/landscape
cards.
8. Reverse/mirror Image: Color stamp, rubber side up and roll brayer over image several times, then roll over your
paper (works great with trees, flowers etc) You can also add this technique to the above rainbow backgrounds for a
great scenic card.
9. Mirror Image: If you have an image that you want to face each other, you would brayer over the stamp like above
and then roll onto your paper then stamp the original image nose to nose with the first.
10. Kissing: Brayer over a solid background stamp then use other stamps and stamp onto background stamp then
stamp onto card stock - solid stamp now has a design and you have just multiplied your uses of one set.
11. Ghosting: Stamp image on card several times in clear embossing ink. (DO NOT EMBOSS) Then brayer over
invisible images with regular dye pad and your image will start to appear.
12. Joseph's Coat: Brayer with rainbow pad and cover entire area of card (glossy works best). Emboss image with
clear embossing powder/ink on top of area colored (this technique works best with solid image). Then ink brayer with
black or navy (the darker the better) and cover entire card again with new color. Let overcoat of ink dry, then buff
card with paper towel to remove excess ink. Rainbow color will then shine through. Just think of a great landscape
card with stars in the sky and trees
13. Use your brayer for those big background stamps to get an all over inking.
14. Put a piece of cheesecloth down and brayer over the cheesecloth for a different effect.
15. Resist: Works best with glossy paper. Choose your resist medium, ink, wax or other. Try metallic pens for a
different look. What happens is that you color on the glossy card stock with the pens anyway, or pattern then you use
the same technique as the ghosting by brayering over with a different color. The pattern that you drew or colored will
not let the brayered ink to absorb through the card stock therefore comes the "resist".
Others to try:
16. oil colored pencils (work best with regular matte finished papers);
17. crayons
18. wax paper
19. ink
20. resist ink
21. emboss ink (try the emboss pens to write a hidden message)
22. rubber cement
23. masking fluid
24. white out/correction pen
25. Gel pens
26. wax resist sticks
27. Deka paint (for fabric - much harder to do)
29. Another "Resist" able technique: crumple a piece of wax paper; iron (on hottest setting/no steam) wax paper onto
white card stock (use an additional sheet of card stock between the wax paper and iron); press for only 2-3 seconds -
this will transfer the wax to both sheets of card stock (if you iron too long the wax will be absorbed into the paper) Ink
your brayer and then brayer over card stock. The brayer will resist laying color where the was paper has left its design
(makes a great background paper).
30. Another variation to the above is to use stylus tool and with the wax paper on the card stock use tip of stylus to
write your own message or draw your own design - brayer over to reveal your design or message.
31. You could also use the same technique as above for those bigger solid images that you want to emboss. Brayer
over the image with the emboss pad for an even/smoother finish.
32. Try the same as above with lace doilies.
33. Lace
34. Bubble wrap
35. Brayer over a leaf (two ways to do this: place card stock over leaf or other nature finds and bring out the textured
surfaces below; or use the reverse/mirror image technique to pick up the pattern of your nature find.)
36. Ink up your brayer with embossing ink and roll over the entire card then emboss with clear powder.
37. Brayer intense/brilliant color on glossy card stock then use speckle background stamp and clear emboss ink.
Stamp then emboss with multi colored emboss powder. Heat to see beautiful colors.
38. Watercolor brayer: Ink brayer with a rainbow pad or markers, then spritz with water bottle, then roll out for a very
pretty watercolor look.
LUCITE/ACRYLIC:
39. Put rubber bands around your brayer for unique background.
40. Wrap plastic wrap around your brayer for another unique background.
41. Try fabric netting or the netting from bags of oranges or marbles as above.
42. Cheesecloth another unique background
43. Try string
44. Yarn
45. Crochet yarn
46. Try the new Encore pads and rolling it out onto liquid appliqu� for a faux suede look.
47. Use your acrylic brayer to roll out paperclay.
48. Use your acrylic brayer to make sharp creases in your card stock.
49. Crinkle up a piece of Mulberry paper, ink up your brayer with the new Encore pads and give your Mulberry paper
that guilded look.
50. Faux Suede - squeeze brown liquid appliqu� on wax paper or aluminum foil. Roll brayer until coated and smooth.
Roll an even coat of liquid appliqu� on cut out image (try gingerbread man die cut) let it set for a minute then heat.
This will give a nice suede feel. Try with different colors. Clean your brayer right away.
51. Use your acrylic brayer with pigment ink on glossy (takes a little while to dry) don't roll use a quick sliding
motion to brush the inked brayer across the card stock, wiggle if you want (the brayer silly!) You can make some
awesome plaids or sunbursts.
52. Try the same technique above but tap the brayer around in different areas for an all over colorburst.
FOAM:
53. Use your foam brayer for an all over airbrush effect.
54. Use your foam brayer with your stencils.
55. Use with the rainbow pads for rainbow effect.
56. Use your foam brayer with markers for an interesting look. I've heard that you can make some great tortoise shell,
leopard or gemstone looks on glossy card stock.
57. You can also use the spritz technique with the foam brayer for a watercolor effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

oh cool, I was going to get on on my next order sothis thread is very timely for me. Thank you Jerri Kay for the list. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Just in case you are now aware.... the magnificent Zindorf has a blog and she has fabulous tutorials..... Just look at one of her newest uploads and she has a link...

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I use my brayer on the Cutterbug embossing folders. You brayerr ink on the indented side & then put in your cardstock, whla great results. It really brings out the embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

subscribing so I don't loose tis helpful info.
J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribing for all your great tips. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,486 Posts

Goodness, my brayer has been sitting in a drawer for years... as excited as I was to get it, couldn't find many uses and tired of it quickly... so thanks so very much for all the info. Will now get that brayer back out into the light.

Caterina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2008, 04:12 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

until I am brave enough to try.....I use my brayer to stamp BG stamps.....I lay the stamp upside down, place the paper on top and brayer over it.

Wow, that's sad....I am gonna try some of these soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

So many great ideas! Thanks for sharing.
Annie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2008, 04:55 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jerri and Michelle Z.....thanks for all the inspiration...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe another redundant question - I tried to do the brayered sky following Michelle's tutorial but I ended up with a straight line going across where I applied the second, darker color. What am I doing wrong? As much as I tried to go over and over it to blend it in, the line did not disappear. Do I need to run the brayer over a scrap piece before so as not to get the defining line? I am sure the solution is very obvious, but of course not to me right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #29  
ccc
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by andibView Post
Maybe another redundant question - I tried to do the brayered sky following Michelle's tutorial but I ended up with a straight line going across where I applied the second, darker color. What am I doing wrong? As much as I tried to go over and over it to blend it in, the line did not disappear. Do I need to run the brayer over a scrap piece before so as not to get the defining line? I am sure the solution is very obvious, but of course not to me right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Here are two techniques I use to avoid getting a straight line.

1. Make a "sloppy stripe" on the brayer. I like the ink on the brayer to have choppy edges. If the ink isn't in a straight line on the brayer, it won't make a straight line on your paper. Stampin' spots are great for this technique. I hold the spot in one hand and the brayer in the other. I use the spot to spin the brayer while I'm inking it (hope this makes sense). You can make a sloppy stripe with the full ink pad. It takes a little more practice.

2. I ink the brayer and then spritz water on the brayer. I spray above the brayer so the water kind of mists onto the brayer. The water makes the classic ink just runny enough so that it won't leave a hard edge.

Good luck. Brayer techniques are some of my favorites.

Sharon Cheng
Richland Hills, TX
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

wow now i too will try out my brayer!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gee thanks for all the ideas!! I just got my brayer 2 days ago. And just think I only thought I would be using it to go over the big background stamps from SU!! Little did I know lol...:cool:

"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I use the foam brayer for inking up multiple large BG stamps. It soaks up the ink and gives a more even spread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I fell in love with Michelle Zindorf's cards too.. and here tutorials are amazing too... she makes it look quite easy..we'll see...my brayer is on the way.. just need more inkpads ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Be sure to store the brayer on its metal supports rather than the roller. Too much pressure on the rubber can apparently warp it....at least, that is what I have heard.

If you have ever wanted to use photo rubber stamps, such as vintage photos, it's best to use a brayer with dye ink on glossy paper to get the maximum detail.

When using a large and detailed stamp like a background stamp, you can often get a better stamped image by inking with the brayer. The rubber may have variations in the depth of etching, which could result in under-inked portions if you try to ink by stamp pad. If you pad is very juicy, too much ink could get in certain areas, and the brayer helps to avoid that possibility. It's probably a good idea to use those background stamps with a cushion (like a mouse pad) under the paper as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Just came across ALL these COOL ideas for using the brayer. I have one, but was scared to use it??!!..(still sitting in the box)...but after reading all the suggestions I'm FINALLY gonna give it a try!! Wish me luck....Thanks for passing this info. on. Take care....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Great tips - thank you everyone.
Kristina

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

I've used a brayer a few times and wanted to do some resist work using spectrum ink pads. I definitely didn't get the results I wanted to. Good thing I am experimenting!

First I used some photo glossy paper and inked the bird from SU Always set, in glassy glaze. Set it with heat and then used the brayer to apply color. The bird just looks muddy. It's been 30 minutes and the ink isn't dry. The paper "warped" when I heated up the glaze. So I took some cheap white card stock this time. I used the same bird, and inked it with versamark and the same glassy glaze once, then detail white, then detail black. I can see a little bit of color and design in the glassy glaze one, NO detail at all on the white one ( I thought the ink would color the areas where the design isn't there so the rainbow colors would show there.) The black detail on the white cardstock works the way I wanted it to. I hope you can follow this.

I guess my questions are... you have to use some specific glossy paper, not photo paper?

Why don't the "resist" areas in white take the color like it does in the black?

I will print out the ideas above! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Wish me luck...I'm jumping in!

You Can Stamp It,come for ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Me too!!! Love-Love-Love my brayer!! This is awesome!! I was stuck on the spectrum pad idea, and for St. Patty's Day, did a card using the Versa Mark with the St. Patty's Roller and the Wild Wasabi...did I say gorgeous!!! That was my outside voice...Baahhahhehehe!! :lol: It was truly one of the easiest cards ever and looked so difficult. I sold several brayers that night and as some of you did, a few gals dusted off the brayer they haven't used in a while!!
Reply With Quote Likes